Needy creator needs validation. Please help.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Stumpydave

Goose
Reaction score
Having had a drawing tablet for a couple of weeks now, I think I'm reasonably comfortable drawing with it.
(I'm certainly a lot more comfortable with it than I was the Wacom Intuos.)
However, despite a small measure of success writing comics, I can't afford an artist and never cosidered myself adroit enough with a pencil to draw my own.
But if you picked up a comic with the style of art below, would you read it? Or would the hamfisted sketching put you off?
vhunter test.jpg

I'm not a comic fanboy per se, but if I saw a comic (or RPG, for that matter) illustrated in this style it wouldn't be offputting.

I, too, have struggled to make a Wacom Intuos work. I may try one of the tablets with a pen and drawing software.

The tablet you draw on (pen on a screen) has been a game changer for me. If only it had been a game changer for my ability to draw hands, faces, keep proper proportions.....

The tablet you draw on (pen on a screen) has been a game changer for me. If only it had been a game changer for my ability to draw hands, faces, keep proper proportions.....
I'm still in the market for a way to get Adobe Illustrator to produce decent rough coast lines and outlines of geographical features. The roughen functions in its transformations are pretty crap for that. At the moment the best solution I have is to clip bits of coast lines from real geography like osm files.

The art is fine by me. Probably 90% of the comics I read on a regular basis are stick figures or simple line art. Story matters more for me.

This is probably heresy but I'd rather read your art than Walt Simonson's and everyone seems to love his stuff.

Actually, I didn't like Simonson at first either. He grows on you over time.

Stumpydave's art is fine it gives a specific tone to what he's doing and you can tell what everything is.

I've just seen a monitor/touchscreen with a stylus that I might look into. It's quite a bit cheaper than a Wacom Cintiq. Funnily enough, I've just bought a laptop with a USB-C port.

I've just seen a monitor/touchscreen with a stylus that I might look into. It's quite a bit cheaper than a Wacom Cintiq. Funnily enough, I've just bought a laptop with a USB-C port.

Sadly they're sold out. Sighs.

I can thoroughly recommend the Huion Kamvas 13. It's a fraction of the price of the Cintiq.

Having had a drawing tablet for a couple of weeks now, I think I'm reasonably comfortable drawing with it.
(I'm certainly a lot more comfortable with it than I was the Wacom Intuos.)
However, despite a small measure of success writing comics, I can't afford an artist and never cosidered myself adroit enough with a pencil to draw my own.
But if you picked up a comic with the style of art below, would you read it? Or would the hamfisted sketching put you off?
View attachment 28213
I haven't read a comic in years and I have zero art ability, but I don't think I would find what you have there off putting. Yes, the guy looks a bit like Herman Monster, but if you hadn't pointed out that you are not good with proportions I would just have assumed that was your style. So yeah, good job!

This was more of a test of my drawing tablet, Clip Studio and the lettering workflow. The fact no one here said "My god this is awful, take away his pen licence!" gave me the impetus to start writing again, with the plan to draw and letter my own work.
(So far I've two completed scripts but my artist let me down and 3 stories published by Futurequake Press).

I'm now at outline/script stage of either a single 22 page story or 6 4 page stories at the moment. I'm leaning heavily toward the four pagers.
Art wise, I'm hoping I can churn the pages out. Speed over talent! I figure fast and cheap'll do out of fast, cheap and good.

I like the drawings in the OP. The only visual aspect that I don't care for is the graininess in the 3rd panel, like the particles are too large.
I'd certainly read it if the writing didn't put me off.

If only it had been a game changer for my ability to draw hands, faces, keep proper proportions.....
Well consider it an art style then ;-) A friend of mine wished he could draw maps good as mine. I looked at his. Well it not the way I would draw it but it good, functions well as a map, and definitely reflect your sentiments. It will sell. I think he currently pulls more $$$ than me at the moment. If you consistently draw like the example and it fits what you are trying to do then I say you are good to go. Not everybody can be Alex Ross.

Just keep in mind that the difference about a tablet is that you can lift the pen up and touch in another location and it just jumps to that point. With a mouse if you don't jostle and put it back down the cursor on the screen just stay there.

Some of today's touchscreens sit in between. They know where you tap your finger but don't have fine resolution for the touch sensors.

I personally use a Wacom Bamboo for drawing coastlines and rivers for my maps.
An earlier version of this
Amazon product

(WARNING - Incoming stream of consciousness).

As an addendum to my dreams of achieving fame and a rockstar lifestyle through writing comics, what sort of publishing schedule do you think would be more successful?

Each 'episode' will be 4 pages. There will be 6 episodes per volume (so 24 pages in total. If printed it would be similar to a traditional US comic book).
Each page will range from 3-7 panels. My choices are a weekly (or bi weekly shcedule) of a page a time (probably on Webtoon or Tapas) or 'Netflix' it, dumping the completed package in one hit (probably on Amazon) and try to charge 99p.

I prefer the weekly/biweekly schedule as a way to try and build some buzz but I'm rubbish at trying to build that buzz or show the ongoing process like those damned millenials and gen z lot seem to like.

Any thoughts are most welcome.

From what I've seen seems that a regular weekly schedule is best. Regularity is the most important thing: keeping to a reliable clockwork schedule.

Assuming I go for a weekly schedule, do I create the whole thing first then dripfeed it, or do I create a page and then try to incorporate any reader feedback into the subsequent pages? (I'd like to do this but I doubt I have the time to devote to completing even something as small as a single page in a week. Damn you real life commitments!!!!!)

I'd say work on it to at least get a good headstart/backlog to draw on then dripfeed. Too easy to start it then peter out. When I was contemplating starting a blog that was my intention.

Last edited:
Give yourself at least a month or two of content to drip so life's little accidents can happen and the strip stay consistent.

I've rewritten the outline and am halfway through the first draft. The urge to tell people about the story is overwhelming but I must stay strong. At least till the second draft.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back