Neoteric Sandbox

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I am a bad, irreverent Gen Xer. :sad: Because now I really want a spoof of the old "Taste Great!" "Less Filling!" Miller Lite commercial, but with the bar customers instead bellowing "Neoteric!" "Diagetic!" at each other. :cry: My post-modern mind won't leave me in peace.

:sad: :thought: ... :hmmm: :thought: ... :devil: :thought: Yes. Yes, it is most amusing...

Here are some examples of maps that add play value (of a kind I care about, anyway: consistent distances and terrain to play on) without needing to invest much in artistic effort (except for the valuable talent of being able to put appropriate shapes, locations, sizes and distances down on hex paper). These are images Eric Shih shared on Zuckface from his ongoing TFT campaign:
QoZ5Ruz.png

DJymDsx.png

hrThUTJ.png

XE4opPz.png

Huh, or not? RPGPub alternates between showing these and not showing them... can you guys see them?

Last edited:
Thanks. I moved them to another server... I think it worked.

I watched Free Guy last night (and yes, I do recommend it). As a bonus, it reminded me of our sandbox discussions...:grin:
Namely, it's great at illustrating the difference between a qualified sandbox and an unqualified, purely-reactive one.

Why? Well, that's a spoiler, but luckily we have a tag for this...

The difference is, NPCs have actual initiative and you can't always tell them apart from PCs. Well, other than the fact that they stop existing when you "exit the game":shade:.
In the movie, when Guy - the main NPC - started acting, nobody was able to tell that he wasn't a PC. Why? Because he was acting pro-actively, gaining XP, and so on. The reactive sandbox's glitches actually helped him, too, but that's par for the course...
So: have your NPCs make plans, and plots. You can only gain from it.

Another thing that the movie highlighted is the reaction of players. After a brief period of adaptation, most players seemed to prefer the qualified sandbox over the reactive one, and IME, the same happens in most campaigns I've seen as well:thumbsup:!

Also, the Dude was awesome. I almost shouted "Dooolph" upon seeing him:angel:!
Yes, that's not a spoiler, it's a teaser. Also, now I kinda wish to see an NPC like this...or a PC:gunslinger:!

I sense such huge amounts of lost opportunity when I read things that show how many people don't get fundamental RPG things I've enjoyed since I was a small kid, such as pro-active NPCs.

I sense such huge amounts of lost opportunity when I read things that show how many people don't get fundamental RPG things I've enjoyed since I was a small kid, such as pro-active NPCs.
...so, every time that you see an MMO:grin:?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back