New 5e Releases

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
You think powercreep is subclasses and feats?

It certainly doesn't come from non-rules supplements does it?

If you want any kind of discussion, lay out your position and put forth an opinion for once. Tell me where you think power creep comes from, if not from additional rules.

Given Wizard's track record, I dthink Power Creep is highly likely. Theoretically though, it is possible to add rules without power creep, it just usually doesn't happen.

WotC's problem was always their exception-based design. Every little rules module could be evaluated on it's own when added to the base system, the problem is when you add 50 splats worth of rules exceptions, practically none of which were tested with each other, emergent complexity is gonna kill you.

Looking forward to the consolidated Unearthed Arcana (Arcana Unearthed?) in Xanathar's Guide. I don't see it as power creep, but as added options or alternatives for my 5e toolbox. A good thing, in my opinion.

Due up in September is Tomb of Annihilation which is set in Chult in the FR and is an adventure path for levels 1-11.

I heard Pendleton Ward consulted for WotC for this one, and that it's supposed to have less combat grind and more exploration.

But I'm pretty fucking skeptical at this point. Not only the previous entries have been combat-centric railroads, they are unimaginative, monothematic crap. The dragon one. The demon one. The one with the vampire. Now the dinosaur one. Seriously? Must Paizo do even this better?

Then in November is Power Creep, i mean Xanathar's Guide to Everything, which apparently has 20 new subclasses and dozens of new feats among other things.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/xanathars-guide-everything

Again, history makes it likely that you're right, but the Unearthed Arcana series of Dragon articles has been (to the best of my knowledge) relatively tame.

Looking forward to the consolidated Unearthed Arcana (Arcana Unearthed?) in Xanathar's Guide.

Not looking forward to players moaning about having the god-given right to take any option out of it, but hey, tale as old as TSR.

Yeah, power creep isn't inevitable, but the more you churn the more you learn.

Not looking forward to players moaning about having the god-given right to take any option out of it, but hey, tale as old as TSR.

I can respect that concern.

While I consider myself to be a very chill GM who's open to just about anything, I don't respond well to blunt demands from players (especially new ones whom I don't know so well). Collaboration, sure: I'm always happy to work together. I'm pretty easy. But demanding assholes can leave the table

I look forward to the new releases. Given that the majority of 5e releases are adventure modules, I currently only own the corebooks but this may be my first major purchase for 5e since 2015.

As I only play with my friends, they are fine with me restricting options if I feel necessary (I eliminated multiclassing from my first 5e campaign). I've also (apparently) been a much bigger fan of 5e (in gameplay and in releases) than anyone here (it's juuuuuuust about to trump Savage Worlds for my favorite RPG).

Reactions: OHT
Until they release setting material that isn't FR WoTC can stuff it as far as I'm concerned.

As I only play with my friends, they are fine with me restricting options if I feel necessary (I eliminated multiclassing from my first 5e campaign). I've also (apparently) been a much bigger fan of 5e (in gameplay and in releases) than anyone here (it's juuuuuuust about to trump Savage Worlds for my favorite RPG).
Oh my Lord, I can't believe it. Brownell's favorite game no longer Savage Worlds...that's just not right. I mean the world needs some constants. :grin:

I've also (apparently) been a much bigger fan of 5e (in gameplay and in releases) than anyone here (it's juuuuuuust about to trump Savage Worlds for my favorite RPG).

Stop the clocks! :eek:

I think it's a fine game too, but it's not supplanting my favourites.

It certainly doesn't come from non-rules supplements does it?

If you want any kind of discussion, lay out your position and put forth an opinion for once. Tell me where you think power creep comes from, if not from additional rules.
Feats and Subclasses have never been the cause for concern for Powercreep.

It was spells and prestige classes, but they ain't got the latter anymore.

Looking over the subclasses they put out in unearthed arcana, powercreep is most definitely not to be worried about.

Stop the clocks! :eek:

I think it's a fine game too, but it's not supplanting my favourites.

It's literally the only D&D I actually want to run. And after running a campaign and seeing how easy it is to fold other D&D elements into it, it's even better.

Hell, right now I'm stripping the math out of Star Wars Saga Edition and replacing it with D&D5e's to get rid of the insane bonuses that broke high level play.

Feats and Subclasses have never been the cause for concern for Powercreep.

It was spells and prestige classes, but they ain't got the latter anymore.

Looking over the subclasses they put out in unearthed arcana, powercreep is most definitely not to be worried about.

And when they tried to add prestige classes, UA playtesters *lost it*.

Until they release setting material that isn't FR WoTC can stuff it as far as I'm concerned.

If it's anything like Volo's Guide to Monsters, it only has a veneer of FR fluff, the crunch inside is universal.

Just ordered Tome of Beasts which is briefly back to a decent price.

But apparently takes ages to arrive.

Just been informed that ToB won't even be dispatched for another 2-3 days and is coming from the US. None of this was stipulated when i ordered it, so i've cancelled the order. Pity.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back