New Acquisitions Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
Figured we could use a thread to show off our new shiny.

Just ordered this bad boy from Warhansa in preperation for the new edition of Battletech coming in October...

middle-middle-color-center-center-1-0-0-1443242662.94.jpg

Figured we could use a thread to show off our new shiny.

Just ordered this bad boy from Warhansa in preperation for the new edition of Battletech coming in October...

middle-middle-color-center-center-1-0-0-1443242662.94.jpg
Atlas?

Indeed, or at least a very nice equivalent. Might swap out the head for a classic one, but it's kinda growing on me.

Atlas has always been my favourite mech, followed closely by the now-Unseen Warhammer.

I want to play battletech. I can never find anyone anymore who is willing to play these longer somewhat fiddly games. Right now I'm working on converting mechs to simplified Ogre units.

Picked up Terraforming Mars two weeks ago after a partial play of a multiplayer game. Played the solo game, very cool and good stuff.

Picked up the Fallout board game FFG put out. It's fun but in dire need of rules clarifications.

I want to play battletech. I can never find anyone anymore who is willing to play these longer somewhat fiddly games. Right now I'm working on converting mechs to simplified Ogre units.

You should check out Battle tech Alpha Strike - its the game streamlined and made for fast play, but still retains the flavour with heat resource allocation and critical hits.

The basic rules are free online. On my cell now, but I'll throw up a link when I get home.

Here's what the mech sheets look like:

275px-05alehgymvjplq0b1qlu2d78zvh07qh.png

Last edited:
Intriguing! Got a link with any details on that?

I'm on a self-imposed hiatus from new mini acquisitions. I spent too freely on the Zombicide: Invader, and Cthuhu: Death May Die Kickstarters. But, Battletech could be very, very tempting.

I have a bunch of links/open tabs about it on one of my laptops at home, I'll post them tonight (maybe make a thread in board/mini games).

The game premiered at Gencon, they only had like 200 copies and I guess the sold out in like an hour. But the reviews are very good so far, and from what I've seen on YouTube reviews/unboxings, the new plastic minis are a huge step up in quality from the 25th anniversary plastics.

Price point for the boxed set is great too. Rulebook, QuickStart guide, fluff book, 2 double sided foldout hex maps, and 8 mechs (atypical 'Lance' is 4 mechs, so exactly the right amount for two players for a complete game), all for $59.99.

Suck on that GW!

You should check out Battle tech Alpha Strike - its the game streamlined and made for fast play, but still retains the flavour with heat resource allocation and critical hits.

The basic rules are free online. On my cell now, but I'll throw up a link when I get home.

There's a new edition of Alpha Strike coming out at the end of the year, IIRC.

There's a new edition of Alpha Strike coming out at the end of the year, IIRC.

Yeah, the Commanders edition which combines the main rulebook with the options from the Alpha Strike companion. Wouldn't hold my breath on it though, it wasnt ready for Gencon and when asked about it, the representative from Catalyst said it's been delayed indefinitely for rewrites. And I think they'll have their hands full with two boxed sets and the new Total War book before December

That looks feasible...is it in print or out of print pending the new edition someone mentioned?

Unseen Warhammer for the win! Love it, my favorite!
warhammer.jpg

Yeah, the Warhammer is iconic. One of the reasons I'm kinda glad the Robotech Tactics Kickstarter ended up a disaster. I was able to pick up a pack of these guys, perfect scale for Battletech, for $10 clearance at a local game shop:

pic3234075.jpg

images

That looks feasible...is it in print or out of print pending the new edition someone mentioned?

I think they let the last print run run out, it's available in PDF but not print from Catalyst's website. But it's still on the shelves of all the gamestores in my area.

Yeah, the Warhammer is iconic. One of the reasons I'm kinda glad the Robotech Tactics Kickstarter ended up a disaster. I was able to pick up a pack of these guys, perfect scale for Battletech, for $10 clearance at a local game shop:

pic3234075.jpg

images
I'd buy that for a Yankee dollar

Here's one of the unboxing videos from Gencon last month:

Got Dark Souls The Card Game a few weeks ago since I'm a fan of the video game and have heard good things about this card game as well as just getting Bang! The Duel this weekend for some quick and fun gaming as I really enjoyed Bang! in the past.

YX9mT4GaTKabp3niwo3s_DSCG-Core-Mockup-Layout_b0376178-d739-4297-8bcc-3ce700c660e9.jpg

DVG9110.jpg

Tell us about Bang!?

This is the 2 player version, the 4 player version is similar. You play outlaws, one of you is secrectly the sheriff, in larger group one can be the deputy. You play cards against each other with a wide variety of effects. You lose bullets/life as you play cards indicating things like a gatling gun, dynamite, duck behind a barrel, a sudden Indian raid, etc. The sheriff and deputy try to go as long as possible before revealing who they are. The two player version you play 4 character types but which side is the Sheriff and which the Outlaw is clear from the beginning. Very fun with a spaghetti western feel.

This is the 2 player version, the 4 player version is similar. You play outlaws, one of you is secrectly the sheriff, in larger group one can be the deputy. You play cards against each other with a wide variety of effects. You lose bullets/life as you play cards indicating things like a gatling gun, dynamite, duck behind a barrel, a sudden Indian raid, etc. The sheriff and deputy try to go as long as possible before revealing who they are. The two player version you play 4 character types but which side is the Sheriff and which the Outlaw is clear from the beginning. Very fun with a spaghetti western feel.

Classic Bang! really shines when you have 5+ players.

Only it's the other way around — everyone knows who the Sheriff is (player wears a badge). His victory condition is surviving all Outlaws, and the Stranger.

All other players are Deputies (same victory condition, plus keep Sheriff alive), Outlaws (must kill the sheriff) or the Stranger (forget the actual term; must kill all Outlaws, then duel and kill the Sheriff).

It usually starts out slow, everyone avoiding playing attack cards, building up, until somebody (usually an Outlaw) loses his nerve and takes a shot at the Sheriff, which leads to everyone shooting each other, not terribly unlike some Westerns... those shooting the Sheriff are Outlaws and those helping him are usually Deputies, though one will be the Stranger... you'll only know after all the Outlaws are dead!

Each player gets a character card that comes with special abilities, and a "Law of the West" deck introduces a new random rule each turn.

Such a good game. Get the complete version, the one that comes in a big ol' bullet-shaped box.

Got Dark Souls The Card Game a few weeks ago since I'm a fan of the video game and have heard good things about this card game.
Is it any good? My wife and I went full-in on the Kickstarter for Dark Souls The Board Game, letting ourselves be tempted into adding a few expansions to our pledge, since my wife is a major fan. It has cool looking miniatures, some clever combat mechanics, but it gets kind of grindy.

CMON is working on a Bloodborne boardgame, by the way. They already have a card game of it.

This afternoon we broke out Massive Darkness for the first time and gave the tutorial scenario a try. It's quite a fun game!

Massive-Darkness-boardcontent-image_1024x1024.png

Last edited:
Aeon's End, The Depths, The Nameless
Aeon's End: War Eternal, The Void, the Outer Dark
Aeon's End: Legacy, Buried Secrets
Pandemic
Pandemic: On the Brink
Dungeon!

I just got Legends of the American Frontier. Hope to play it tonight. It's a storytelling board game set in the western expansion. Working together or separately to build the best legend in that time.

Oh, and I got the new Marvel Legendary Expansion (Venom), because I buy all the Marvel Legendary stuff.

I got The Hellboy Boardgame on its way to me from the Kickstarter. :thumbsup:

I just got Legends of the American Frontier. Hope to play it tonight. It's a storytelling board game set in the western expansion. Working together or separately to build the best legend in that time.

Oh, and I got the new Marvel Legendary Expansion (Venom), because I buy all the Marvel Legendary stuff.

So Legends of the American Frontier was a hit tonight. Game ran longer than we expected, but everyone picked up on it super quick, turns didn't take long at all, and something was always happening.

Reaper's Bones IV Kickstarter started shipping the other week - this year is the first time I've gotten a core set instead of picking and choosing add-ons.

BonesIV.jpg

I'm starting to wonder what I've gotten myself into . . .

Reaper's Bones IV Kickstarter started shipping the other week - this year is the first time I've gotten a core set instead of picking and choosing add-ons.

View attachment 8743

I'm starting to wonder what I've gotten myself into . . .

I did Bones one and two, didn't pull any punches either so I've got two ginormous boxes that I've barely made a dent in. I kept my head down after that and didn't even look at their kick starters, too much risk of temptation.

I’m fanatically in love with Zombicide Black Plague. Spent a shameful amount of money on it. But I love it so much. One of my favourite board games ever. And I use my Skaven instead of “Crowz”. So good.

I’m fanatically in love with Zombicide Black Plague. Spent a shameful amount of money on it. But I love it so much. One of my favourite board games ever. And I use my Skaven instead of “Crowz”. So good.

I want this bad but desperately hope to find it at a lower price.

RE: Zombicide Black Plague
Keep hitting the thrift stores and join any local board game selling list on facebook you can find. I see it come up a few times a year at the $40-$50 USD mark here.

My wife hit it big at the thrift store. She picked up Arboretum, Star Realms, Eminent Domain , Adventure Time Love Letter, Adventure Time Card Wards, Zombie Dice and The Walking Dead The Board Game for ~$18. She's getting good enough at this she only has to call me to see if I have it already vs is it a good game. She can see the manufacturer and component quality and get it right probably 95% of the time now.

Now if I could just get her to game with me I could be playing every night vs once a week with the guys!

Oooh! Tell me more! (I know of Zombicide, even have a few of the individual minis for other things)

See, in Zombicide, the zombie crows expansion adds critters that move really fast and through walls. The idea is that they’re birds, flying over, around and through windows. But once they reach the heroes, they aren’t all that tough, just annoying with their rapid swarming.

I figure, Skaven are kind of like that: sneaky, dexterous gits who climb through cracks in the walls, under floorboards, in the sewers, or even over walls. They rush in and are mostly easily dispatched. But annoying and swarming! So it works, thematically, both in mechanics and because in old school Warhammer Skaven and Necromancers tended to team up regularly. And fight each other, but whatever.

It’s fun! But I wish I could find some classic 90s clan rats :sad:. I only have the ones from late ‘0s where they look like long nosed monkeys.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back