New Batman RPG Coming

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The figures are lovely.

Meh - it would take something incredibly phenomenal to get me to run any supers content outside of MSH. I'd consider jumping back into DCH... but it would be a hard sell to my players. Even now... we're neck deep into our Vampire game... and they're making comments that "This game would run better in MSH... but then we should just be playing MSH...right? RIGHT?".... grrr

That choice of art and logo doesn't make me optimistic. Haven't ever heard of Monolith before, though.

It should say “ROLEPLAYING GAME” instead of “RPG” but that’s just a small nitpick and this is probably a mock up.

It should say “ROLEPLAYING GAME” instead of “RPG” but that’s just a small nitpick and this is probably a mock up.
Maybe they figure anyone interested already knows what RPG stands for: rocket-propelled grenades.

(Is Batman using a glider as well a his Batline? 'Cause that ain't no cape.)

As someone who
I’m curious as to just how heavily they are going to tie it into their board game.
As someone who bought into their boardgame pretty heavily, I hope there is some crossover. I would love to get some more use out of monolith's dice.

Maybe they figure anyone interested already knows what RPG stands for: rocket-propelled grenades.

(Is Batman using a glider as well a his Batline? 'Cause that ain't no cape.)
Bats only doesn't use guns. He never said he doesn't use rocket-propelled grenades, or nerve-gas, or throwing blades, or nukes.

I never did like “Killer Batman”. The Batfleck version kind of left a bad taste in my mouth because of that reason. Give me the 70s/80s version anyday.

batman-the-batmobile-wonttart-check-the-battery-whats-a-tery-30186098.png

Batman himself is a special case due to the wide range of treatments his character has recieved and level of script immunity he's enjoyed. However I can see the potential in a street level superhero game drawing on Gotham's rich lore.

I’m curious as to just how heavily they are going to tie it into their board game.

probably closely. I have the conan game - the monolith one and the Modiphius one. Monolith put out a campaign mode for conan, and it was reasonably popular as I understand it. insert some talkie bits and poof, rpg! or maybe not wanting to share the monies with Modiphius after the tie in :smile:

Seems odd to have such a specific RPG. I would have thought, a broader super hero game, would have much more appeal.

I was never a Batman fan. I was always the Rorschach guy. :smile:
I'll letcha in onna little secret, most of the people who read Watchmen is a Rorschach guy. Much to Alan Moore's dismay.

Moore was hoping to have the Comedian be the audience sympathetic one, but everyone latched onto the character he intended to make unlikable. It disturbed him that they did. Sadly, I contend that Watchmen is the reason most heroic concepts are being 'deconstructed' now by people who have no idea how. It's also (In my opinion) the reason that a lot of people think that 'evil' is 'cooler' now in the past 40 years.

As for the book, I actually approve of the idea. DC's biggest problem is that unlike Marvel, it was never built as a singular universe. Metropolis and Gotham are both reflections of New York, except that now, there is an actual New York in DC. It's the reason that DC has had so many universal reboots, because they would have these universe shaking moments to try and consolidate certain aspects, but often forgets that there certain things or characters that are important.

Like Superboy, one of the crises was created to effectively remove him, as his existence became problematic for the main universe, but then another event had to be created to put him BACK in because it was forgotten that he had been the cornerstone of the Legion of Superheroes universe. Removing him from the timeline would have destroyed the whole comic line, which at the time was a decent seller for DC.

By separating the Bat Family from the JLA means you can have certain things happen without resorting to silly and in my opinion pathetic excuses, like Barbara Gordon/Oracle. In a universe that has cloning and cybernetics the idea that ANYONE can be permanently crippled is laughable. And the fact that she had to make up some excuse as to why she didn't want to become Batgirl again, something like "But Police Men who are crippled don't get this option' smacks as dishonesty to me. As someone who is crippled with mobility issues and who knows firemen, solders and cops who have also been injured in the line of duty, they would be the first to tell people that they would give their left nut to be able to walk or use both arms again. And they would go right back to the job that injured them in the first place.

Sorry, Oracle is a pet peeve of mine. And they could have fixed so easily, too. She's allergic to invasive surgeries, boom done, I wouldn't have complained. Or they could have kept The Killing Joke as non-canon as it was originally designed.

actually these days he isn't so much a loner as the leader of a paramilitary group of adolescents

pjimage-35.jpg
Every once in a while, I squint and blur my eyes when looking at a picture like this and suddenly realize how truly ridiculous super heroes look.

I mean, just look at them: all those angry, super serious faces wearing those goofy-ass costumes.

Then my brain settles back into "super heroes are a thing in our pop culture mass consciousness" and forget this.

Last edited:
Comedian was supposed to be sympathetic?he was almost as sociopathic as Rorschach. Nite-Owl and Silk Spectre were the only ones that seemed like functional adults.
According to Moore he was supposed to be. Which only proves to me that his 'deconstruction of the genre' as he was trying to do, was clearly even beyond HIS abilities. But because it was popular, everyone and their donkey has been trying to copy it in some fashion in the decades since.

But that's just my opinion.

Seems odd to have such a specific RPG. I would have thought, a broader super hero game, would have much more appeal.

This was my first reaction, but upon further reflection it makes sense: Gotham City is a rich enough setting that you could run countless campaigns there before even coming close to exhausting it. And this very accurately dials in a very specific type of street-level superhero action in a setting that already supports several different "families" (Bats, Birds, Sirens) that naturally lend themselves to RPG-type parties across a broad spectrum from heroes to anti-heroes.

So how do you decide which Player gets to play Batman? Or do you take turns? Or maybe all play him at once with some mechanism where Players roll off against each other to control him... or each Player controls a part, leg/arm/head... like Voltron.

So how do you decide which Player gets to play Batman? Or do you take turns? Or maybe all play him at once with some mechanism where Players roll off against each other to control him... or each Player controls a part, leg/arm/head... like Voltron.

Batman is the GM, you all play supervillains trying to not get beat up by him.

Having all the superhero games I will ever need, this would have to be hand delivered by Black Canary for me to be very interested.

Still, I have enjoyed playing in the Gotham City sandpit before and wouldn't be adverse to doing so again. If this game supports playing as GCPD or original heroes, I might take a look. But if this offers a very restrictive game featuring the modern take on Batman, I'll probably ignore it.

I'm also a little worried that this is Monolith. I got the Conan board game, and I just reached out to a friend who had the Batman board game, and their English translations are a bit of a mess.

Comedian was supposed to be sympathetic?he was almost as sociopathic as Rorschach. Nite-Owl and Silk Spectre were the only ones that seemed like functional adults.

Yeah I'm not buying a rapist and murderer of a pregnant woman as 'the sympathetic one' to anyone besides nutters. Nite Owl and Silk Spectre are the obvious protagonists just flawed and human.

According to Moore he was supposed to be...

You got a quote for that?

I recognize 5 of them...6 if someone can tell me why there are 2 Robins simultaneously...7 if that's Alfred in the back row. He should really wear a mask if he doesn't want everyone to put 2 + 2 together and realize he's Bruce Wayne's butler and also Batman's butler.

This artist should really study human anatomy and how clothing looks on bodies. Studying composition would be a plus as this is incredibly contrived and makes me wonder who's standing on what so they can all be seen like that. Why is Crimson Batgirl's cape fluttering in the breeze but no one else's is?

I'm also a little worried that this is Monolith. I got the Conan board game, and I just reached out to a friend who had the Batman board game, and their English translations are a bit of a mess.

Eh, the Batman board game rulebook issue isn't actually the translation, it is that they did the opposite of what they did for Conan.

Conan got tons of complaints because the rules are a bit vague. Batman's rules are written like a reference manual and generally you just have to read everything very literally and walk through all the processes it states to understand it.It is actually not hard to play...it's just hard to read because they tried to be SO PRECISE in their rules and cover every single case that it can be hard to parse.

Batman mostly just needs an abbreviated "how to play" walkthrough, and just use the reference point by point guide for when a specific interaction of abilities needs to be understood.

That said, I'm a huge fan of their board game Batman, curious to see what they do with an RPG.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back