New edition of WH40K

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I think GW finally wore my enthusiasm down to a nub during 7th edition. They are gonna have to do something pretty awesome to woo me back.

I think GW finally wore my enthusiasm down to a nub during 7th edition. They are gonna have to do something pretty awesome to woo me back.
Same. I'm in a rural/remote area where no one plays, I decided I would just play 6th edition if I ever played again.

I thought 8th edition was the best one in a long time after falling out of the game a long while back. However it seems very quick to bring out 9th. I'll wait and see what others say, but I've actually enjoyed 40K more the last few years because they've been willing to make major changes.

If GW actually playtested this version and listened to community feedback I can see myself getting back into it.

I thought 8th edition was the best one in a long time after falling out of the game a long while back. However it seems very quick to bring out 9th. I'll wait and see what others say, but I've actually enjoyed 40K more the last few years because they've been willing to make major changes.
Is 8th when they ditched templates or was that 7th?

In 8th, they’ve had at least three major rules additions that added to all armies, so they’re up to around 8.3 at this point. I hope this is more like an 8.5. Collect all the additions so far and make the 9 changes they talk about in that video.

A new edition that changes things as much as the change from 7th - 8th? Bleah, I don’t have it in me. I’ll pick up the starter box though if it has has Sisters in it.

Looks like 8.5 is what we’re getting. According to the FAQ, all the new Psychic Awakening books were written with 9th in mind and can be used as is. Apparently all the old Codices are still compatible with points adjustments. Of course there will be new Codices with the additions.

The current edition is my favourite of all editions so far, if the new one is simply a revision/enhancement of that I will be most pleased.

Meh. I let myself get excited by the 8th pre-release hype. Dusted off my minis, tried a few games. I still knew who would win by the middle of the second turn. I have since accepted that 40K just isn't the game for me, anymore.

Meh. I let myself get excited by the 8th pre-release hype. Dusted off my minis, tried a few games. I still knew who would win by the middle of the second turn. I have since accepted that 40K just isn't the game for me, anymore.
I might be with you on this one. I've been thinking about using my minis (BFG, epic, and 40K) for the RPGs instead.

Guess I'll have to wait for the new core box to see the changes in CPs they've been talking about. Definitely grabbing the Necron half at least of the new starter set. Great for Kill Team and Combat Patrol, which I'm looking forward to...

Were they written by Nurgle?

GW picks a hell of a time to reboot it's game...again

So far it looks pretty similar. They made some changes to Detachments and CP. They cleaned up Unit Coherency so no more conga line or massive screen shenanigans. Blast weapons do more damage against giant hordes. The competition table are smaller (which is bizarre). It still seems like 8th for the most part.

Eh, I tried watching that, no way can I sit through an hour of that guy. My Macroeconomics teacher has more charisma.
Lol, yeah, Winters isn’t a public speaker by any stretch of the imagination. He does some great narrative campaigns though.

Don't know, never played in a GW shop.

I imagine so, since Quarantine is pretty much over here

Are GW shops even open?

Can you maintain unit coherency and socially distance?
Dunno. I know in the UK you are allowed to have people over to your house if they are in your “support bubble”. Apparently people living alone haven’t been able to visit each other’s houses until recently, not even family.
Non-essential businesses have opened I think, but I doubt there’s gonna be any tournaments or anything soon.

Are GW shops even open?
I stopped by a week ago on a Saturday afternoon and the blue shirt told me I had to leave because there were already 3-4 people in there. The whole shop was blocked off with tape and you could only approach the register.

The store already had weird operating hours and most times when I happen to be in the local area it is closed. I suspect the store was barely eking a profit even before the pandemic.

Found a guy in town willing to sell me the Necron half of Indomitus for $75 when he buys on the 25th, so thats cool. Guess Necrons' back on the menu boys!

I know the barbers just re-opened this week in Van. I figure if they're allowed to open anything goss.

Meanwhile, I'm addicted to Ubereats, and all my classes are still online, so no plans to leave the house beyond necessity yet

I'd be in love too, if only there was a remote chance of me going anywhere near that paintjob quality...

I'd be in love too, if only there was a remote chance of me going anywhere near that paintjob quality...

It doesnt look too difficult - Necrons are generally pretty easy - silver primer, washes, black and green for details. Maybe I'll do a tutorial...

Found a guy in town willing to sell me the Necron half of Indomitus for $75 when he buys on the 25th, so thats cool. Guess Necrons' back on the menu boys!
Yeah, half the line is sold out on GW’s webstore.

I stopped by a week ago on a Saturday afternoon and the blue shirt told me I had to leave because there were already 3-4 people in there. The whole shop was blocked off with tape and you could only approach the register.

The store already had weird operating hours and most times when I happen to be in the local area it is closed. I suspect the store was barely eking a profit even before the pandemic.
Hey Brock Savage Brock Savage , did you guys take seriously the whole “can’t visit another household” part of the lockdown?

Yeah, half the line is sold out on GW’s webstore.

That's pretty common before a relaunch of a line. New versions of Warriors and Destroyers, probably a new Start Collecting Box in the next 3 months. I'm not trying to go full army at once though. Start with a Kill Team and gradually move up.

Are the Imperial Guard the best? If not the whole game is crap and I won't play!

They're certainly the most versatile, and with the allied rules, you can basically mix and match any Imperial units in. I used a bunch of guards with my Custodes as a cheap CP farm (though looks like that will be less necessary in the new edition)

They're certainly the most versatile, and with the allied rules, you can basically mix and match any Imperial units in. I used a bunch of guards with my Custodes as a cheap CP farm (though looks like that will be less necessary in the new edition)
My only real experience with WH50k is the Dawn of War video game series. I loved IG in that. I have nothing more to add.

My only real experience with WH50k is the Dawn of War video game series. I loved IG in that. I have nothing more to add.

do you have any experience with minis in general?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back