New edition of WH40K

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I haven't played 8th at all, but I wonder about the pay to play with stratagems approach. I don't think I'd like it much either, power gamer that I am, but I wonder if the idea isn't to to be able to up the power level of some things, but keep them in check by not allowing every turn use. It's the stat line that sells people, so I can see why they might decide to go that route.

I'm interested to see what you can get done with the Warrior farm approach in the new book. My favorite Necron armies really push the reanimation thing hard. I once was part of a team that took four Necron lists to Adepticon with a Monolith in each list. Muhuhahahaha!

I hate the “pay to gain the use of standard abilities” use of Stratagems that GW is increasingly doing.

I find in Kill Team the Command Point/Strategem element works well to provide an extra tactical choice each turn, but in 40K it was more of a carrot/stick to force players into taking more infantry units. Not certain how that will carry over in 9th edition, as its clear the CPs are much more plentiful.

The aspect of it that I do like is that characters have been pushed back much more into a command/support role to units rather than just superpowerful individuals.

I haven't played 8th at all, but I wonder about the pay to play with stratagems approach. I don't think I'd like it much either, power gamer that I am, but I wonder if the idea isn't to to be able to up the power level of some things, but keep them in check by not allowing every turn use. It's the stat line that sells people, so I can see why they might decide to go that route.

I'm interested to see what you can get done with the Warrior farm approach in the new book. My favorite Necron armies really push the reanimation thing hard. I once was part of a team that took four Necron lists to Adepticon with a Monolith in each list. Muhuhahahaha!

From what I've heard through Youtubers, Reanimation Protocals are getting a big boost this edition.

From what I've heard through Youtubers, Reanimation Protocals are getting a big boost this edition.
Well that's exciting. I may have to dust off my plans to do a not-silver Necron army. I do love the figs, and the new stuff I've seen has been glorious.

I'm going to fill up a sock with neon gee-gaws and slap you with it, in the hopes that you'll snap out of your 80's robot funk. K?

Heh, I already painted up a traditional Necron Army, for the new one I really just want to do something personal, nostalgic, and fun. The examples of Rollerblades isnt an accident, I literally said to myself that I want to do this army in the colours of the rollerblades that I owned when I was 12. I want them to look like they stepped straight out of a radical late 80s/early 90s cartoon series, with shiny black armour and neon lights.

To this end I've picked up some florescent paints

maxresdefault.jpg

My last thought about painting Necrons was actually to lean into the metal Egyptian undead angle. I was going to paint them a mid-high brown in the bone range, highlighted to bone, but with vehicle type weathering, oil stains, and whatnot. Maybe a sandstone look for the vehicles, with an Egyptian palette for the accessories, going NMM golds, lapis and the like.

Shiny black armour is very doable. Weather it, to make it look old, but then carefully use gloss varnish to shiny up the other bits. Could look very cool.

Just an FYI, I very much have solid chops for giving painting and converting advice, I'm not just peeing in your neon cornflakes.

I've seen some cool bone-coloured Necrons

I wish Tomb Kings were still around, you could probably grab a bunch of conversion stuff from them to really play up the Egyptian elements

That's pretty sweet. I think I'd probably go with less flat painting and more stone effect and depth of colour, but I like it a lot,

It makes me sad that I was never a cell phone guy. I have almost no pictures of my painted figs. My boss at the FLGS I worked at sold the 3000pt Undead army I painted for him for like $4000. Very much the best whole army I've ever painted, and I have not a single picture. I won a Grand Tournament with that army too, which surprised the shit out of me, because it was essentially a 'one of every unit' army for the store display case.

With all the changes to Flame/Melta units and the Eradicators, 9th might see the Boys in Blue take a backseat to the Boys in Green.
I'm not much of a mechanics-guy, but that sounds promising.

Before I received Indomitus in the mail, I tested out a few official SM paint schemes on some spare push-fit Primaris. The green/black of the Salamanders just spoke to me, and the lore I've read further convinced me.

Pretty much finished off the 3 of them. Maybe a little more matte varnish and some desiccated tufts to wrap things up.
Quite a lot to paint (... and a tactical warsuit on the pile because I'm a glutton for punishment).

Salamander.png

I'm not much of a mechanics-guy, but that sounds promising.

Before I received Indomitus in the mail, I tested out a few official SM paint schemes on some spare push-fit Primaris. The green/black of the Salamanders just spoke to me, and the lore I've read further convinced me.

Pretty much finished off the 3 of them. Maybe a little more matte varnish and some desiccated tufts to wrap things up.
Quite a lot to paint (... and a tactical warsuit on the pile because I'm a glutton for punishment).

View attachment 21537
Forge World has some cool Salamanders units. These Pyroclast flame units could be Eradicators.
4A6737F4-E09A-4E8B-B6E3-C3DBFD6872DD.jpeg

There’s also some Firedrakes if you want to get some Assault Terminators.
DB171449-5A68-458B-B23E-13F5F8459758.jpeg

They certainly look nice. Are they originally intended as Horus Heresy/30k models?

Regardless, I like the look of the FireDrakes. Will toss those in a gift list, to-acquire after painting up Indomitus and the Warsuit.

I much prefer that cooler green palette for Salamanders to the more traditional green most people paint them in.

The more traditional green. Not that Rogue Trader fashion-camo abortion.

I wish I had a better picture of that fig. The guy taking the photos at the Demons that year managed to wash out all the fine blending.

Even Star Trek seems to be getting more like 40K every year...

Do you folks knowledgeable about 40K think it would be good to pick up Kill Team now? Or do you think it will probably just be updated by this time next year, making the current iteration obsolete?

For those who have Kill Team:

I have some Deathwatch and Genestealer Cult models. Are all the stats for those in the Kill team core rulebook? What about cards? I see the basic set has specific faction cards for the Space Wolves and Tau. Would that mean I'd need some kind of card expansion to play other factions?

If I have the board and terrain from the 9e Command starter, and I have models, what do I need from the Kill Team Starter beyond the rulebook?

Even Star Trek seems to be getting more like 40K every year...
And inversely 40K has become a lot less dark since the late 2000s.

I have some Deathwatch and Genestealer Cult models. Are all the stats for those in the Kill team core rulebook? What about cards? I see the basic set has specific faction cards for the Space Wolves and Tau. Would that mean I'd need some kind of card expansion to play other factions?

If I have the board and terrain from the 9e Command starter, and I have models, what do I need from the Kill Team Starter beyond the rulebook?
You just need the core book. Cards aren't strictly necessary. Also I'd get the Kill team manager app since it has the Tactics Cards in it.

GW have been a bit quiet on what is happening to Kill Team so I'm not sure about waiting or not. Others might know more. Space Marines at least need a little update.

Do you folks knowledgeable about 40K think it would be good to pick up Kill Team now? Or do you think it will probably just be updated by this time next year, making the current iteration obsolete?

I'm relatively certain it's going to be left as a stand alone game and not updated along with the main rules - mainly as it uses it's own variation on the rules.

For those who have Kill Team:

You don't need the cards - all the info is in the rulebook. The cards are just easy resources during the game. I never bought any. Not every Kill Team was in the main ruebook. Deathwatch definitely is, but I'm not 100% certain on Genestealer Cult (I think so), Spavewolves (maybe) and Tau (not at all sure).

If you have models, dice and terrain, all you need is the rulebook, yeah. Maybe some sort of counters for command points (we use different sized dice)

Heh, those old Warhammer Wood Elves. I remember the original metal Wardancers. I still have all those.

I just picked up some old Space Crusade Orks. I have a few of those old RT metal Orks he shows in his collection too.

Being an advertising photographer must be one helluva profession, the fucker pours a Christload of money into the hobby.

Is that what he does? Sounds like good work if you can get it.

When in October do you think the new 9e Codices will drop?

How does GW normally do something like this? Will the Necron and Space Marine books drop simultaneously or will they have an event for just one along with that army subline, and then another a couple of weeks later?

When in October do you think the new 9e Codices will drop?

I expect preorders next week, going by this weeks Warhammer Community blog posts

How does GW normally do something like this? Will the Necron and Space Marine books drop simultaneously or will they have an event for just one along with that army subline, and then another a couple of weeks later?

Usually a week apart, but in this case, because the starter sets are all pushing Ultrasmurfs vs Necrons as the main conflict of this edition, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped simultaneously.

I just can't wait for that Silent King, uwu

I preordered the SM Codex this morning. I imagine my wallet will get beat-up some more if they put out a Salamander-specific, sub-codex.

I preordered the SM Codex this morning. I imagine my wallet will get beat-up some more if they put out a Salamander-specific, sub-codex.

Thanks for the heads up. I have my Space Marine and Necron codices and battlecards pre-ordered and I have a spiffy Canoptek Doomstalker on the way.

And my GW spending spree is likely over until after the new year.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back