New edition of WH40K

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The thing to remember when putting on checkered decals on, say, Goff Orks...you will fuck up the decal (like it looks like the guy did with the DA on the right). Just weather, dirty up and damage the surface. It's Orks, remember. The Ork probably ate the grot that painted the armor and is looking for a replacement.

With the new Horus Heresy box set about to drop, I'm seeing a lot of 30K stuff.

They also have Ka'Bandha for Horus Heresy.
3k21psX5ZHHttoKm.jpg
It will be interesting to see if Sanguinius can actually beat him in the ruleset.

How comes that in 30k the Death Guard still look a bit like the 40k Plague Marines (colour scheme),
But Thousand Sons are a completely different pallet?

1659263249457.png

Though I like the simplicity of the Emperor's Children too... Choices to make, paints to acquire.

Edit: Noise Marines are EC. :music: That makes my choice a bit easier. If they have those in 30k. Liber Hereticus with all the relevant info and art should arrive this week.

Last edited:
Well, the Death Guard on the left may actually be the same guy as on the right, just a bit more squirmy and older (either a gift of Papa Nurgle or warp shenanigans).

The Thousand Sons on the left is a space marine. Thanks to Tzeentch messing with Ahriman's Rubric spell (attempting to protect the chapter from the effects of Chaos), the... thing... on the right is a tomb housing a handful of dust and a wisp of spiritual essence. Barely even aware, hardly able to move or act of its own accord, but safe forever sealed in a mobile coffin. It's in Tzeentch's ornate livery and colours, so I imagine that the armour is a massive "fuck you" of a reminder of who's boss from the God of Treachery.

Death Guard were kind of Nurgle colored already (only without tentacles and stomach-mouths, etc).
Thousand Sons changed completely to Tzeentch colors.
Emperor’s Children were already purple, they just added lots of pinks and pastels.
World Eaters changed to Khorne colors, but that might just be a thousand years of blood over the old colors. :devil:

Basically if you joined one of the 4 Chaos gods, you had to represent.

GW’s leaning in to Horus Heresy pretty hard so far, I hope it keeps up and a lot more stuff gets transferred to plastic. I hate FW resin.

So, is there a thread somewhere to discuss 3D printing? I came across a 300€ printer for 105€, but I have zero knowledge of the specs. Would this printer be good for weapons and pauldrons? Palatine aquilas and sonic guns on every noisy grunt!

Re: FW resin. I'm hoping for affordable primarchs too.

Last edited:
So, is there a thread somewhere to discuss 3D printing? I came across a 300€ printer for 105€, but I have zero knowledge of the specs. Would this printer be good for weapons and pauldrons? Palatine aquilas and sonic guns on every noisy grunt!

Re: FW resin. I'm hoping for affordable primarchs too.

That's a filament printer and would be awful for small bits. At least not without a ton of expert modding and setting fiddling.

You want a resin printer for minis/bits, and a filament printer for large vehicles/terrain.

I noticed there are some more Barnes & Noble "exclusive" games inbound.

Warhammer Quest: Lost Relics looks to be a scaled down version of the co-op Age of Sigmar Warhammer Quest game (Silver Tower). It only has hero minis, but it looks very compact for a dungeon crawler. (Silver Tower was good at not having the table sprawl of other dungeon crawlers)

Combat Arena: Clash of Champions is a 40K themed game and is a redo of another Barnes & Noble special from a few years ago. Each player controls a single figure in an arena and battles to the death. Gameplay in the original was vaguely akin to Star Wars: Epic Duels. This version has different, but fewer gladiators for the arena. It looks like the mix this time is an Ultramarine, a Blood Angel, a Plague Marine, and a Necron.

Blitz Bowl: Ultimate Edition seems to be continuing the tradition of a mini version of Blood Bowl.

I'm a bit disappointed that there's nothing for last year's Warhammer 40K: Fireteam. That one was basically a simplified and hex based Kill Team, and needed some more Fireteams as expansion cards to shine. It's also somewhat disappointing there isn't a new Space Marine Adventures series game or an expansion for one of the previous installments.

Speaking for myself...

I'm not sure about Combat Arena. I'll have to haul out the old copy of the game and give it some fresh play to see if it's worth buying the new game for four additional gladiators. The original release of the game didn't exactly knock my socks off. I'm on the fence with this one.

Blitz Bowl: Ultimate Edition is another meh for me. I have the original Blitz Bowl (Season 1) as well as the full Blood Bowl 2016 game. Blitz Bowl never clicked for me. Blood Bowl 2016 has never been played. I have to say that my preference for a game like this is Milton Bradley's BattleBall. I'm not even sure what Ultimate Edition is supposed to be. Is it a combination of Season 1 and 2? Is it a new edition? Not sure if I'm curious enough. I'll probably skip this one like I did Season 2.

Warhammer Quest: Lost Relics is the most enticing of this group. Silver Tower was fun, but hasn't hit the table in a while. A similar game in a more compact and focused package might be good. This is the one I'm most inclined to order.

I feel like the edition before last remains the best since Rogue Trader. I'm not really excited about the return of Primarchs because, well, it seems like deliberately ignoring the current issues with the game in favour of new shinies.

But, as always, I'm happy to be proven wrong. Hey maybe this time they might even do the right thing and release all the updated army books at once...

I feel like the edition before last remains the best since Rogue Trader. I'm not really excited about the return of Primarchs because, well, it seems like deliberately ignoring the current issues with the game in favour of new shinies.

But, as always, I'm happy to be proven wrong. Hey maybe this time they might even do the right thing and release all the updated army books at once...
They’re making all data sheets free for download. It’s good to know that after roasting for 78 years, Hitler’s balls will get frozen off.

"Cripes! A hairy midget in our midst!"
"Not a midget, Ratlings a whole guild full of them."
More proof that the Ratlings are the secret power behind the Dark Angels.

Have they posted which other primarchs they are bringing back? I don't seem to see any secretssssss posted anywhere.

They’re making all data sheets free for download. It’s good to know that after roasting for 78 years, Hitler’s balls will get frozen off.

Just stats, or actually point values for play? Because most of the core rulebooks have had stats for the troops, and the app gives those for free for the last 2 editions. It's the cost in points that they paywall.

Well, here how it is now in 9th.

The app had all the stats for 8th for free. Once a Codex comes out, that is replaced with a bunch of locked 9th data. You buy a physical 9th Codex and there’s a code inside the back cover that unlocks all content in the app.

The Core Rules are available, for free, on WarCom Here.

The Army specific rules are in the various Codexes, unlocked in the app, or what everyone uses, Wahopedia. GW doesn’t even come close to printing enough books for everything, so without Wahopedia, I don’t know how they stay in business. No one would have rules for their overpriced models.

For a while now all the point values have been in the Munitorum Field Manuals, which they no longer make you pay for and are available, for free, on WarCom Here.

Every quarter they put out a new Balance Dataslate, which tweaks the rules based on how armies are doing and feedback. You don’t need all of them, just the latest one, which is free on WarCom Here.

So currently, for home and FLGS play, you get Core Rules free, points free, and rules changes free, all you need to buy outside of the army itself, is your army’s Codex.

40k has been going through “Seasons“ every 6 months, which have been following events in the setting as the Indomitus Crusade unfolds as Guilliman tries to claw the Imperium back after Chaos split it in half and Hivefleet Leviathan is gutting it from below.

The current season is Arks of Omen, which is being covered in 5 books, Abaddon, Angron, Vashtorr, Farsight, and The Lion.
Arks of Omen adds a new type of play, Boarding Actions, which is smaller infantry forces infiltrating Space Hulks and having restricted rules for LOS, firing, etc. Those rules aren’t free, they’re in Arks of Omen: Abaddon (and maybe in other Omen books, not sure I don’t have the others). Each book will have rules pertaining to how the armies work in Omen, but these Mustering Rules are available for free on WarCom Here.

For Tournament Play, there are GT Mission packs which contain mission rules for the new season. That you have to buy and they’re rarer than hen’s teeth for some reason, so yeah, Wahopedia.

If you look on WarCom, you see they’ve also started putting up preview data sheets of Vashtorr, new Azrael, etc.

On to 10th in the next post.

Ok, so 10th…

On Day One, here’s what they’re dropping, for free.
  • The Core Rules for 10th.
  • Every single data sheet for 10th. All data sheets are being streamlined to fit on a single card (which they will sell, like they do now, for Age of Sigmar).
  • All points for the datasheets.
  • Army specific rules like Stratagems, Relics, Warlord Traits, and Special abilities will be streamlined to two pages, which they did in the World Eater’s Codex.
So the idea is, here’s what you will need to play…
  • Core Rules for 10th - Free.
  • Army Rules on two pages - Free at first, later will be Codexes, Cards, or Digital.
  • Datasheets - Free at first, don’t know if they will remain so, might be only in Codexes, Cards, or Digital.
  • Missions - No clue. Probably basic ones free at first.
Here’s an example of a new datasheet card for the new Termagant Models.
00240454-DCD6-4D6E-829C-4BD64EEB386E.jpeg

Note the profile is split and complete information is placed in the weapon stat line. So no more S3 at top then S for melee and S+2 for the Fleshborer. All in one line.

Note the OC rating, which is new. That’s Objective Control, which replaces Objective Secured and the wonky rules for who holds an Objective. Now just count OC values (I guess?).

Note under Abilities, Skulking Horrors, which is an ability of the Datasheet. No CP spent, no Stratagems, they can just redeploy to avoid a charge (again, kind of like Sigmar).

New Army Organization: No Force Organization Chart. Warlord and whatever you want (rule of three applies, rule of 6 for Battle Line aka Troops, another Sigmarism). Be interesting to see a Chapter Master, Captain, 2 Lieutenants, a Chaplain, Librarian, and Apothecary all on the table at the same time.

Boarding Action play form will be supported and continued.

A new form of play, Combat Patrol will be added. They are releasing a Combat Patrol box for every faction.

As far as the current Open Play, Matched Play, Crusade and Tempest of War forms go, no word yet.

Edit: Oh yeah, minor thing…no more Psychic Phase. Smites will be shooting attacks like some of them used to be in various editions and other spells will be on the datasheets.

I’m getting the idea that customization will be WAY down.

Last edited:
As far as the story goes,
  • The Imperium is still cut in half. Imperium Sanctus is ruled by Guilliman and the High Lords of Terra. Imperium Nihilus on the other side of the chaos rift is ruled by Dante, chapter master of the Blood Angels as Imperium Regent.
  • The Rock (home of the Dark Angels) is under siege by Chaos.
  • The Imperium thought they broke Hivefleet Leviathan at Baal (home of the Blood Angels), but it turns out that was a Vanguard. Up to now all Tyranid attacks had come from the Galactic East or from underneath. Now the Fourth Tyrannic War starts as the real Hivefleet Leviathan attacks from the Galactic West, Segmentum Pacificus.
Interesting Note - Segmentum Pacificus includes the Macharian Sector, the setting for the new 40K RPG, Imperium Maledictum.

Azrael’s now Primaris and has a new mini.

AE7747BD-CA0C-41CF-B372-D8898F9AACEF.jpeg
4DE0BC66-49DB-4D63-85F1-2843C164027D.jpeg

Can’t wait to see Belial in the new Terminator armor. Supposedly both Firstborn and Primaris will wear Terminator armor. Some of the divide between the Astartes generations might be lessened as they integrate.

Last edited:
New Termagants. Don’t think I’d bother getting new Termas and Hormas.
F881238E-F1DD-400F-AA7A-2EFCD25AF346.jpeg

FD9B8B8D-624E-4AF9-8ED0-6CD27364BA2D.jpeg

Of course there’s a cinematic trailer. Notice the new Super Zooanthropes (or whatever they are).

I've not followed 40k since 6th edition - long time "Rogue Trader is the only set of rules I need" grognard. But damn!
Now I want a space marine army!

The new Terminator looks better than the old one. The legs were always a bit spindly on those guys. I'm not a fan of the "we just stretched the legs a little bit" space marines period.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back