New Kingmaker edition!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

A Fiery Flying Roll

Hating Dungeons and Dragons before it was cool
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The War of the Roses classic is currently on Kickstarter although you only have a few days left. (Should be on the general market as well).

For my tastes, everything about this is being done right.

There's going to be four versions of the game, from an extended version of Classic for the grogs among us to a shorter streamlined version for those with more modern Euro tastes.

They've politely resisted the calls from the usual suspects who couldn't possibly back a game if they don't get KS gameplay exclusives to lord it over everyone else. (Fuck those guys so hard).

This just looks great all round.

So, it's both an exact rules reprint with much better art and components, an expanded game, and a modern version that allows multiple winners and hopefully avoids situations that drag the game out, all in one box. That's hard to resist, especially with current exchange rates.

I have so many fond memories of the game but I'm not sure I need 3 copies.

So, £75 shipped to the US for a very nice edition. About $83.50. I have the 1988 edition, although my copy may be a hybrid out of the AH warehouse since the map coordinates on the cards don’t match the board.

This is very tempting. My problem with Kingmaker overall is that whenever I have played it, no one has wanted to use the full parliament rules. Without those, the game just doesn’t seem very interesting. In defense of not using the full parliament rules, I remember them being kind of fiddly.I suspect the rules options/updates would help strike a balance.

Last edited:
I've never owned a copy of Kingmaker, but have played it and enjoyed it... back with the same kids who introduced me to D&D.
Seems like a must have, for me.

Some interesting discussion at BGG. Apparently the optional parliament rules that I liked are somewhat ahistorical. Also, I learned from another thread that the original pre-Avalon Hill edition was a little simpler and faster-playing than the AH “Basic Game”, although some of the AH modifications apparently made “turtling” harder. Overall, given the deluxe treatment and the likelihood that decades of community wisdom are being incorporated both in the editing of the rules and in the design of the options, this seems like a good value. 63 hours to go.

Some interesting discussion at BGG. Apparently the optional parliament rules that I liked are somewhat ahistorical.
It is a bit. At this stage, Parliament shows the occasional dissent, but is largely a consultative body there to rubber stamp the decisions of the King. It doesn't really become a political power in its own right until the English Civil War. However, in this case, I think the playability option probably trumps historical accuracy.

The War of the Roses classic is currently on Kickstarter although you only have a few days left. (Should be on the general market as well).

For my tastes, everything about this is being done right.

There's going to be four versions of the game, from an extended version of Classic for the grogs among us to a shorter streamlined version for those with more modern Euro tastes.

They've politely resisted the calls from the usual suspects who couldn't possibly back a game if they don't get KS gameplay exclusives to lord it over everyone else. (Fuck those guys so hard).

This just looks great all round.
Oh FFS, of course I missed it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back