New Marvel RPG coming in 2022

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'd be fairly into collecting stuff, I'm just fortunate it's obscure stuff which keeps prices down as nobody knows how to price it.

I have an interest in movie novelizations and 60s/70s sexploitation novels, the latter seem to attract high prices these days but the former is still too niche to suffer from much collector scum exploitation.

When it comes to pulp sexploitation the gay and lesbian material has always been more expensive because it has been appreciated by those communities earlier than the nominally 'straight' stuff. One local bookstore had a number of gay pulps written by Ed Wood and 'Phil Andros' but they were $150-200 each. Whereas several hippie sexploitation classics by Michael Perkins and David Meltzer, although very rare, were sufficiently obscure that I could get them at a price that while not cheap, wasn't ridiculous either.

Last edited:
I have an interest in movie novelizations and 60s/70s sexploitation novels, the latter seem to attract high prices these days but the former is still too niche to suffer from much collector scum exploitation
Interesting, I would have naively thought it would be the other way round. I've bought a few movie novelisations myself just to check out extra details or differences from the films. Especially when the author rationalises or explains something differently from how a later film sequel does.

except for the gay and lesbian material which has been appreciated by those communities for a while.
What's an example if it's not too much trouble?

Interesting, I would have naively thought it would be the other way round. I've bought a few movie novelisations myself just to check out extra details or differences from the films. Especially when the author rationalises or explains something differently from how a later film sequel does.

What's an example if it's not too much trouble?

Updated my original post which was kind of garbled (typing extensively on phone is my excuse!) and unclear but for instance Phil Andros, aka. real name Samuel Steward's books go for an arm and a leg, even the reissues from the 80s and 90s let alone the originals from the 60s/70s! Same with with Dirk Vanden's infamous counterculture All Together trilogy, I kept putting off buying the reissue hoping to find an original and now the reissue is OOP and quite pricey.

Steward even got an excellent, award-winning biography by Justin Spring.

A number of the gay and lesbian sexploitation have now entered the Queer literary canon (e.g. Song of the Loon) and are respectfully reissued.

On the lesbian end of things Ann Bannon's books and of course Patricia Highsmith's The Price of Salt (published under a pseduonym and filmed recently by Todd Haynes as Carol) are much appreciated.

In terms of film novelizations, I usually go for books for lesser known films where I'm stunned they ever put out a book for it, like the novelization of Herzog's Nosferatu, or if I know the author is a good writer moonlighting, like Thomas Disch's Prisoner novel.

EDIT: Thanks to TristramEvans TristramEvans for pointing out I missed two (one of which played and and ran for years and have had at least one attempt at rewriting...). In my defence I was rushed and (am now) at work :sad: Luckily I'm spare today which means unless someone calls in sick or something disastrous happens I won't have to go drive any trains :grin: So, including the two I missed... (bold)

With regards the Marvel property, what do you consider as the pros and cons of each of the incarnations? For anyone not that interested in marvel stuff, it started here:

msh-1.jpg

Percentile role, many peoples' first real go at supers genre (I'd tried V&V and Superhero 2044 when this came out), Marvel characters and art, easy to play. Very swingy/whiffy (which Karma tries to fix but nothing will help if the dice constantly stiff you) and some clunky mechanics like Remarkable 30 strength vs Remarkable 30 Body Armour. Random character creation was a few pages in the back and more or less an afterthought.

msh-2.jpg

Gave much more space to random character creation, variable ranks and more of them (Shift Y, Z, CL3 and 5k). Also came out with the Ultimate Powers Book which I didn't like much (I'd always end up rolling a plant growth/machine conversing/floating instead of flying/Remarkable Strength brick with Feeble Endurance or some other drivel). By this time DC Heroes was a thing, and a good one. It's a better game. Your mileage may vary.

msh-6.jpg

I never played this (I'd long since ditched Marvel for DC Heroes, the greatest supers rpg in any multiverse. Your mileage ... etc) but having had a look (it's 'free' as an unauthorised download if you search for it. I think TSR don't own the game and neither do Marvel as it was a joint thing so it's in limbo, which helps when you PDF the entire game line and make it free for download) it seems to be a tweaked, cleaned up, more options and more character write ups (Captain Britain with Unearthly strength! He's come a long way since being a guy with a pole vaulting stick who fought old guys with remote control eagles) game. So FASERIP, probably a lot of whiffy miss mis miss combat (I'm playing in a MSH game and it's toe curling the amount of missing that's happening) and easy to pick up and play.

msh-3.jpg

Liked by those use played it (seemingly), uses cards. A bugger to get hold of (complete at any rate) and unloved by the masses as cancelled shortly after and the last hurrah of TSR/Wizards with Marvel.

MSH-7.jpg

Disclaimer: I ran this game for a few years and played in it on/off too, then vanished for a while (real life) and came back to the forum at https://murpg.proboards.com so I like the game and am biased. I get what others say about no dice=no point because you can sum the game up as 'blowing your load in the first round of combat' and doing pretty much nothing thereafter. It's a resource management game. You spend energy to get things done and if you spend enough, it happens. If you can't it doesn't. The writing is iffy, some of the write ups are a bit off and the fan base is (sadly) on the wane these days but I can imagine interest will perk up at the MURPG board when the new game comes out. I like it. I think it had potential but it was canned after three books (and there was a Spiderman fan created guide) so that is that.

msh-4.jpg

An internet darling and still 'best comic book game EVAR!' gushed over in certain places. Squishes characters into a range of five dice (D4, D6, D8, D10, D12) and bunches up even further at the high end so they are pretty much indistinguishable in game terms. Thing and Hulk both roll D12 for Strength. So do Colossus and many of the other bricks that were formerly separated by a rank or two in MSH for instance. Models Wasp, Hawkeye, Thor, Hulk and Iron man in the same team very well by squishing them together but loses something in the translation to my mind. Cortex maybe not the best fit for supers. Your mileage may... etc. Published in 2012, canned in '13. Getting tricky/hard/expensive to get hold of, especially past the core book (the red one shown). Great production values and the author, Cam Banks, is an RPG 'name', respected in the industry. Rightly so.

msh-5.jpg

Matt Forbeck has credits for a number of roleplaying games including Brave new World of the 90s, a low/street level supers game where characters are hunted by the government and there's a big meta plot going on as far as I can tell (was that ever resolved?). System said to be '616' and using D6s, maybe with 'gimmick' dice (Dr Doom or Spiderman on a face, for example), we don't know. Stats spell MARVEL (Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic) and depending on the current state of deals and licensing with the MCU and Comics/Sony (who still 'own' or at least rent Spider-Man as a movie property) might include certain high profile characters or not. Sure to e the next big thing, frothed over by fans on forums and lots of stats/fan stuff churned out.

How long will it last though? Place your bets...

I wouldn't worry about licensing. Marvel uses Spider-Man (and friends) wherever they want outside of movies. If I recall correctly, Fox actually had merchandising rights for X-Men and the Fantastic Four, which is why Marvel tried to bury those properties for a while...but the Spidey/Sony deal was different.

Updated my original post which was kind of garbled (typing extensively on phone is my excuse!) and unclear but for instance Phil Andros, aka. real name Samuel Steward's books go for an arm and a leg, even the reissues from the 80s and 90s let alone the originals from the 60s/70s! Same with with Dirk Vanden's infamous counterculture All Together trilogy, I kept putting off buying the reissue hoping to find an original and now the reissue is OOP and quite pricey.

Steward even got an excellent, award-winning biography by Justin Spring.

A number of the gay and lesbian sexploitation have now entered the Queer literary canon (e.g. Song of the Loon) and are respectfully reissued.

On the lesbian end of things Ann Bannon's books and of course Patricia Highsmith's The Price of Salt (published under a pseduonym and filmed recently by Todd Haynes as Carol) are much appreciated.

I have a big library of that sort of thing, including the ones you mentioned. Luckily, I started buying them 20 years ago, before prices started to go up on them. At one point, years ago, a local LGBTQ bookstore went out of business and was selling off all their old stock of gay and lesbian pulps for $1-3 each, so I managed to pick up dozens of items. I found out months later that they had even more, and had sold them to a local Leather/BDSM store, which (after not finding buyers for them) put them out for the same prices. I picked up a lot more there, too. Between that and eBay purchases over the years, I have managed to put together a pretty significant collection.

All the talk of Fantasy Football as actual fantasy again renews my interest in running a Warhammer game but set in the world of Blood Bowl and the players are all part of a hard luck Blood Bowl team and the campaign is about all the bullshit they get into on and off the field.

All the talk of Fantasy Football as actual fantasy again renews my interest in running a Warhammer game but set in the world of Blood Bowl and the players are all part of a hard luck Blood Bowl team and the campaign is about all the bullshit they get into on and off the field.

000rudy.jpg

Ban this sick filth.

(Actually, given Warhammer orcs are fungus creatures who can't grow a lot of body parts naturally because they reproduce asexually, the existence of booby orcs implies the existence of "boob squigs", odd parasite creatures that some orcs find and stick to their chests because the other cheerleaders are doing it and it works for them and their teams. All I'm saying is that you probably don't want to drink orc breast milk.)

I've bought a few movie novelisations myself just to check out extra details or differences from the films. Especially when the author rationalises or explains something differently from how a later film sequel does.

Often times, film novelizations are written before the final cut of the film is done, which can result in some significant differences between film and novel.

Ban this sick filth.

(Actually, given Warhammer orcs are fungus creatures who can't grow a lot of body parts naturally because they reproduce asexually, the existence of booby orcs implies the existence of "boob squigs", odd parasite creatures that some orcs find and stick to their chests because the other cheerleaders are doing it and it works for them and their teams. All I'm saying is that you probably don't want to drink orc breast milk.)

Clearly it’s a Rogue Trader-era Ork, from when there were females and children were carried in kangaroo-like pouches.

Still fungal filth that cleansing fire must be applied to, mind you

Clearly it’s a Rogue Trader-era Ork, from when there were females and children were carried in kangaroo-like pouches.

Still fungal filth that cleansing fire must be applied to, mind you

Were the Orcs in Warhammer fantasy ever confirmed a having the same Fungi origins as their 40K counterparts?

Now I want to make a fantasy comic game where you draft superheroes and get points based on how many punches,blasts, panels,one liners and enemies they defeat in the next issue.

Were the Orcs in Warhammer fantasy ever confirmed a having the same Fungi origins as their 40K counterparts?
Yeah, in the later army books (iirc post-WFRP2e). Before then they had mostly off-screen women and children, like pre-GorkaMorka 40k Orks.

(Of course, technically speaking, that's a Blood Bowl World Orc rather than a Warhammer World Orc. But the settings don't differ that much outside of BB's importance to everyone.)

Marvel United is my favorite board game right now. It's so good.
Is that the one with the chibi miniatures? I can't say I dig that style for a supers game but an RPG I'm sure won't be 'chibi'.

It’s fabulous and does a deeper dive into Marvel characters than any other game using minis.
The main three things to me are the 1. Insane amount of variety and 2. Despite the rules being surprisingly simple, there is a lot of depth to it. 3. I love Marvel, especially X-Men.

I have everything for it either owned and sitting on shelves, or already backed on the kickstarter that is coming, or preordered. Except like, the first playmat they made (I have the X-Men playmat)

Definitely. Marvel Crisis Protocol is around 120 and Marvel United has almost 3 times that at just under 350.
I guess I meant how deep do they go into the abilities of any given character? And how well do they differentiate them.

I guess I meant how deep do they go into the abilities of any given character? And how well do they differentiate them.
I had thought you had meant the number of characters as we were talking about using the minis for another game.

However, leaving that aside, Marvel United has a lot of different abilities and is probably even deeper that Crisis Protocol if you widen the scope. Every character is unique in terms of their powers, and many have variants from different storylines. Over a 1/3 of the characters are villains and they also include henchmen, resources, locations and plots, none of which are really touched on by Marvel Crisi Protocol. You also now have deep dives into things like team dynamics, storylines, and weapons for the heroes, which all explore a change up of the capabilities of the heroes.

Don't be fooled by the elegance of the design in that it builds all of this on the foundation of just 3 action types. The variety in Marvel United in terms of characters and the universe more widely is immense at this point.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back