New Member Introductions

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I think I had read some kind of preview, where the characters are created through something to the old Talsorian lifepath. It seemed very cool! When they say "low magic", is it reflected in the rules? Is it a variation on the good old fire and forget casting system or something different?

There was this game "Low Fantasy Gaming" by Stephen Grodzicki which I found really charming and with little variations on standard D&D but I still felt magic was mostly the classic way, only a bit nerfed. I would really like to see more OSR games with entirely different takes on magic.

I think it is one of the only truly low magic OSR games out there, I agree that term is thrown around a lot but rarely does the game actually reflect it, I think BtW is the real thing. It is still recognizably the D&D magic system but different enough with its own range of spells that do a great job of capturing the flavour of the setting. Some of the high level spells are actually incredibly powerful but also take days to cast and are quite deadly to the caster.

Wonder and Wickedness, The White Hack and Into the Odd are the most radical revisioning of magic in OSR I can think of. The latter two are very free-form and so may be dismissed by some as too 'handwavey' (I disagree and hate that term personally as it dismisses light rule system too easily) but W&W should appeal to those looking for a reasonable level of crunch.

Last edited:
I never know what to say in these things....

Long time gamer, first time poster (here). This site was suggested so I poked about a bit and looked like a decent place. Figured I'd give it a go.
we are a decent place, unless you are a goose.

I'm kicking the tires here. I need to find a place to talk about elfgames that doesn't feel like Stalingrad, Sarajevo or Mogadishu--sometimes all at the same time. I'd just like to talk about the new Kill Team from GW or how I'll going to steal the Momentum system from 2d20 and use it in all my success counting games.

Wonder and Wickedness, The White Hack and Into the Odd are the most radical revisioning of magic in OSR I can think of. The latter two are very free-form and so may be dismissed by some as too 'handwavey' (I disagree and hate that term personally as it dismisses light rule system too easily) but W&W should appeal to those looking for a reasonable level of crunch.
I should run White Hack at some point, it looks like a very good time.

Welcome! What RPGs do you like?

Oh, erm...

I lean toward more the sci-fi end of things these days, having burned out on D&D around 3rd edition. Currently, I am running a Fallout homebrew set 40 years after the events in the New Vegas game with the simple premise of the Courier took over and recently died and the PCs getting a chance to claim the Mojave as their own. I'm also in a kick ass game of Blades in the Dark. Prior to that I played the FFG Star Wars game and ran another. Played a few super hero games recently, and ran one based in the old MMO City of Heroes. Even earlier (like decades), I loved Cyberpunk 2020 (looking forward to the new game!), play the hell out of RIFTS, and Star Wars SAGA and the WEG d6 version as well, and dabbled in a couple of versions of Gamma World.

Kind of burned out on Toiken-esque/bog standard D&D fantasy sort for games. Though with that said, if a 5th ed version of Spelljammer was released it would have a good chance of pulling me back, or maybe even Dark Sun.

Kind of burned out on Toiken-esque/bog standard D&D fantasy sort for games. Though with that said, if a 5th ed version of Spelljammer was released it would have a good chance of pulling me back, or maybe even Dark Sun.

Dark Sun is still playable if you use 2E!

Oh, erm...

I lean toward more the sci-fi end of things these days, having burned out on D&D around 3rd edition. Currently, I am running a Fallout homebrew set 40 years after the events in the New Vegas game with the simple premise of the Courier took over and recently died and the PCs getting a chance to claim the Mojave as their own. I'm also in a kick ass game of Blades in the Dark. Prior to that I played the FFG Star Wars game and ran another. Played a few super hero games recently, and ran one based in the old MMO City of Heroes. Even earlier (like decades), I loved Cyberpunk 2020 (looking forward to the new game!), play the hell out of RIFTS, and Star Wars SAGA and the WEG d6 version as well, and dabbled in a couple of versions of Gamma World.

I need to get that hardcover of Blades in the Dark. I agree about Spelljammer and Dark Sun for 5e, I think those are the most likely setting WoTC will releases something for, or Planescape.

Oh, erm...

I lean toward more the sci-fi end of things these days, having burned out on D&D around 3rd edition. Currently, I am running a Fallout homebrew set 40 years after the events in the New Vegas game with the simple premise of the Courier took over and recently died and the PCs getting a chance to claim the Mojave as their own. ....

Ahhhh a new member after my own heart. You are indeed S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Is your Fallout homebrew based on any of the Pen and Paper versions out there?

Ahhhh a new member after my own heart. You are indeed S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Is your Fallout homebrew based on any of the Pen and Paper versions out there?

Not a Fallout game. I used the basic Shadowrun 4th die pool mechanic as a base then built up from there, mostly by streamlining and simplifying some rules. For example, I deliberately kept pools low; most players are rolling 4 to 6 dice at most for a check. The number of dice used at once is also hard capped at 12, with any over that absorbing any penalties. I felt this would keep pools from blowing up to ridiculous levels like I have seen in some games. After that, I nicked whatever I felt would be useful and somehow came up with a playable game. :sweat: Well, at least that's the hope on my part.

Not a Fallout game. I used the basic Shadowrun 4th die pool mechanic as a base then built up from there, mostly by streamlining and simplifying some rules. For example, I deliberately kept pools low; most players are rolling 4 to 6 dice at most for a check. The number of dice used at once is also hard capped at 12, with any over that absorbing any penalties. I felt this would keep pools from blowing up to ridiculous levels like I have seen in some games. After that, I nicked whatever I felt would be useful and somehow came up with a playable game. :sweat: Well, at least that's the hope on my part.

Interesting. Never seen Shadowrun before but you got me curious so looked it up. Similar to what I use and Atomic Highway. Atomic Highway definitively keeps dice low, to 5. Every extra dice you get above 5 counts as an automatic hit. But dice hit on only on a 6 in AH.

If you haven't you should check out Atomic Highway, the pdf was free last checked on RPGnow. It might have the streamlined dice pool ready made...and you can nick my retro-future (e.g. Fallout stuff did for it).

Hello everybody ! I am a late 30s French man living in France and I find this forum more pleasant that the 2 others ones which I am also a member. I am glad to see familiar users.
It's good to have you here. I'm surprised to see you in this thread, as you already seem like of the regulars.

Hi. I'm a long time (mostly) lurker from other forums, and some week ago I started lurking here too, lured like many others by a link from Baulderstone. Thus far I really liked what I spied from the shadows: A forum about rpg that's not too tightly focused on specific games (but that nonetheless seems slighly oriented towards my personal preferences), and is not involved in tribal chest beating or ideological strife (It's so refreshing those days, expecially for a non-american).

I longed for quite some times to find such a place, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this sentiment. So I wanted to thank you all for building and keeping this place alive, even if I dubt I'll ever be a much active poster (writing in english is sometimes a little daunting for me).

As an added bonus, most of the poster from other forums that I found more acute and interesting seems to dweel here: I read most of you for ages, so I feel a little at home.

Welcome to the Pub, korgul korgul. Thank you for the compliments! Your English is really good. Don’t let it deter you from posting more.

Hi. I'm a long time (mostly) lurker from other forums, and some week ago I started lurking here too, lured like many others by a link from Baulderstone. Thus far I really liked what I spied from the shadows: A forum about rpg that's not too tightly focused on specific games (but that nonetheless seems slighly oriented towards my personal preferences), and is not involved in tribal chest beating or ideological strife (It's so refreshing those days, expecially for a non-american).

I longed for quite some times to find such a place, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this sentiment. So I wanted to thank you all for building and keeping this place alive, even if I dubt I'll ever be a much active poster (writing in english is sometimes a little daunting for me).

As an added bonus, most of the poster from other forums that I found more acute and interesting seems to dweel here: I read most of you for ages, so I feel a little at home.
Welcome, Korgul. I'm glad my link was of use.

I'm hoping we can continue to keep a variety of games and play styles welcome here. While I have my own preferences, I like to talk to people with other tastes. It keeps me from getting into a rut.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back