New Thread Idea (mod+)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Endless Flight

I have the power!
Administrator
Reaction score
The staff has been discussing a new idea that we'd like to try. We would like to do a monthly thread in the main RPG forum once a month where we will allow people to discuss topics in a more, shall we say, focused fashion. These threads, one per month, will be more heavily moderated than the typical Pub thread. We will not allow thread drift, memes (as much as I love them), the occasional geese joke (as much as everyone else loves them) and will be monitoring the tone of the thread more than usual. These threads will have a special yellow prefix, called "mod+" before the title allowing everyone to identify them as being moderated more heavily. We will allow nominations on what each thread will be, before the next month comes around. The previous thread will be closed allow for reading only. We feel like this would be a good middle ground between people who would like to be able to discuss certain subjects without feeling like they will possibly be taken off the rails and those who don't want the Pub to change it's moderation policies overall. What does everybody think and are there any suggestions for threads?

The staff has been discussing a new idea that we'd like to try. We would like to do a monthly thread in the main RPG forum once a month where we will allow people to discuss topics in a more, shall we say, focused fashion. These threads, one per month, will be more heavily moderated than the typical Pub thread. We will not allow thread drift, memes (as much as I love them), the occasional geese joke (as much as everyone else loves them) and will be monitoring the tone of the thread more than usual. These threads will have a special yellow prefix, called "mod+" before the title allowing everyone to identify them as being moderated more heavily. We will allow nominations on what each thread will be, before the next month comes around. The previous thread will be closed allow for reading only. We feel like this would be a good middle ground between people who would like to be able to discuss certain subjects without feeling like they will possibly be taken off the rails and those who don't want the Pub to change it's moderation policies overall. What does everybody think and are there any suggestions for threads?
Seems wierd for here but go for it you crazy bastards!

Why not? I'm fine with how things are right now but a more 'on topic' thread sounds good.

Sounds like a plan. Will it work? Who knows, but you have to try stuff to find out.

I think it is a pretty good idea, although it should be kept to one to two threads at any given time, otherwise we would lose the loose vibe of this site.

I can certainly see some merit for a few sanctioned threads to be kept on topic and decorum

I really don’t see the point and believe it may end in flames. This is not what the Pub does best — heavily moderated, laser-focused debate is more other boards’ thing — but if you want to do it as an experiment, sure, go ahead.

I really don’t see the point and believe it may end in flames. This is not what the Pub does best — heavily moderated, laser-focused debate is more other boards’ thing — but if you want to do it as an experiment, sure, go ahead.
In my view heavy moderation is a theoretical possibility rather than something that will be needed. Most posters here are pretty sensible. And I trust them that if a thread is described as a place for more serious discussions they'll either respect that or choose not to participate without needing a heavy hand to enforce it.

Well, as long as it's not a special thread where people genuflect and kiss the mod's asses I guess that'd be okay then.

I like this idea. I've seen this sort of thing on other forums in the past, even on... dun dun dunnnnn... Something Awful.

Even so, it worked well, especially when the monthly topics were broad enough that we can keep them alive the whole time.

I was on a forum once that had something like this where two posters (sometimes more) debated/discussed a specific focused topic in a thread that was heavily moderated. It worked well.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back