Newbie Friendly Play-by-Post Primer (System TBD)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Endless Flight

I have the power!
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been asked by Gringnr Gringnr if it would be possible for me to run a scenario(s) for people inexperienced with play-by-post. I have about 16 years of experience running games this way so I said I would be happy to. I am certainly happy to take one player, but I can work with up to about four. My go-to games are usually Star Wars and supers, but I can run others if it's a consensus. This will also help me shake some rust off since I haven't run a game in a while. if you are interested, please post here and we can talk about what we shall do!

Thank you very much, I'm in! I LOVE supers, but Star Wars would be a close second choice. If anything else is chosen by group consensus, I'm not picky.

I guess I was confused I thought you were just gonna post some instructions. But this is great!

Nope, not just instructions. We can go through it blow-by-blow. :dice::music:

What supers games have you played, Gringnr? My favorites are DC Heroes and Marvel Super Heroes, both from the 80s, of course!

MSH, waaaay back in the day, and Golden Heroes. Never played DCH but I've always wanted to.

Edit: and a little V&V 2nd edition, but it's been ages. That was actually the first supers RPG I ever bought.

I'm interested. Both supers and star wars are cool however I'm crap at Canon so if that's a requirement I'm a bad fit.

I’m leaning towards Star Wars because it won’t require chart lookups, which is an added layer to play-by-post.

That works for me, plus I like D6 systems.

OT, but have you ever checked out WEG's DC Universe RPG?

Last edited:
That works for me, plus I like D6 systems.

OT, but have you ever checked out WEG's DC Universe RPG?
I have it but I've never played it.

Hey, if you guys want to do supers, I got no problem with that. I just didn’t want to scare you away. :hehe:

Hey, if you guys want to do supers, I got no problem with that. I just didn’t want to scare you away. :hehe:

I'm good with whatever you are most comfortable running, or would most like to run. Supers is my current jam, but I am really flexible in that regard. Since I haven't played DCH before, I am deffo curious. And referencing a table or two isn't a deal-breaker for me.

I'd prefer supers of a world of your own creation in a perfect world. Buy I'm flexible.

My current PbP games may be stalling , or are, at least, slowing down ... I'll give other folks first dibs, but if you still need someone, let me know. I love supers and Star Wars, and tend to be pretty flexible about system. ICONS, ICONS, ICONS ...

If we do go with DCH, what AP range would we be looking at for heroes? Or would we use pregens?

I wouldn't mind playing DC Heroes depending on the tone you're looking for. Not much into the grim 'n' gritty stuff.

Are we playing published characters or rolling up our own?

The tone I always run is mid to late 80s Marvel and DC (1984-1988 to be more specific).

By most estimations, that straddles TWO "ages". Not sure I've ever seen a universally accepted list of comic book ages, but the Bronze age is usually listed as 1970s through mid-80s. Mid-80s to early 90s is either the dark or copper age. I'm cool with that, as those are my two favorite ages.

Yeah, I really got into comic collecting around 1984, which coincides with Marvel's second Golden Age. By the late 80s, the writing and art had gotten worse. I was not a big fan of the new incoming crop of young talent like McFarlane and Liefeld.

Yeah, I really got into comic collecting around 1984, which coincides with Marvel's second Golden Age. By the late 80s, the writing and art had gotten worse. I was not a big fan of the new incoming crop of young talent like McFarlane and Liefeld.

Nor I. But what I hate even worse is the current crop of cartoony-looking comics.

I like pouches.

If you guys decide to go Star Wars I'd be interested in this. I'm going to follow this either way as I kind of want to run a play-by-post at some point.

Pouches work in both genres so I'm happy either way.

If you go Star Wars, I call dibs on either the Smuggler template or the Failed Jedi template.

Edit: or Ewok. :hehe:
3cypU.gif

Is there a Bounty Hunter template because I'd be down with that

Is there a Bounty Hunter template because I'd be down with that
Yep. That was one of my son's top choices. Couldn't find the reverse that shows all his fun gear, but here's the template front before customization.
sww01_bountyhunter.png

We could all be bounty hunters....! :shade:
b4604f9c3ba60c806d83fbccd8e0f7f2.jpg

I actually thought it might be cool to run a game where it’s a group of stormtroopers during the original trilogy era (no clones).

I could see bits of that taking place in the game, sure.

I actually thought it might be cool to run a game where it’s a group of stormtroopers during the original trilogy era (no clones).

I would be super-down with that. I've always wanted to run a Prime Directive one-shot with Klingon PCs, along the lines of Monsters! Monsters! for T&T.

I was thinking they could be stationed on some Outer Rim planet and then perhaps get integrated into the 501st during the middle of the Civil War. Squads are anywhere from four to eight including a commander and a sergeant. Each trooper is designated by two initials (usually a group abbreviation) and three to four numbers. Many troops also have nicknames. Just a little info.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back