Nightwatch

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Cowboy Duck

Formerly MattyHelms
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Nightwatch by Patrick Todoroff? It's a cooperative fantasy skirmish game with some campaign rules. The focus is nothing but monster fighting, with escalating levels of monsters spawning each turn kinda like Gauntlet. We may give it a whirl next weekend.

I picked it up this week and have been flipping through it. Haven't read it completely enough to try it out yet, but my first impressions is that it occupies a nice niche of "here's a toolkit of simple rules and generic scenarios for you to tweak before and during play", marking a distinction from Rangers of Shadow Deep's pre-designed, fully articulated scenarios with hidden and randomized elements.

The monsters being arranged into generic categories might be a bit flavorless, but I think the author is trying to give permission to tweak that however you like. Whereas Horde monsters are normally all just a 1d8 mob with 1hp and 2d8 for defense, I could see saying that goblins and orcs are both Horde, but the goblins are 1d8 on defense and orcs are 2d8 melee on the charge, or suchlike.

I like what I see so far, and think that this may help tide me over until Lasting Tales comes out.

Anyone have any experience with Nightwatch by Patrick Todoroff? It's a cooperative fantasy skirmish game with some campaign rules. The focus is nothing but monster fighting, with escalating levels of monsters spawning each turn kinda like Gauntlet. We may give it a whirl next weekend.

Did you end up playing it? I checked it out because of your post and have been debating buying it.

Did you end up playing it? I checked it out because of your post and have been debating buying it.
No, we had to cancel last minute and haven't been able to reschedule yet. Did you end up getting it?

No, we had to cancel last minute and haven't been able to reschedule yet. Did you end up getting it?

I have not, but I'm edging towards getting it. It looks sweet and I like the setting from what I've read. Not too pricy either.

If this doesn't have anything to do with Terry Pratchett I'm going to have to dole out some slaps.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back