Not Cool Miniatures

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Well that makes me feel better. I've just had these sitting next to the printer for a year now. If I get them up to the craft room this year I'll still be ahead.

20230119_184908.jpg

I bought a metal GW squig as part of a secondhand lot and I've had it soaking in paint stripper for weeks. I should have photographed it - I swear it's lost a quarter of its weight in paint.
Now for the toothbrush and associated mess. :thumbsup:

It has begun.

I primed 20 World Eaters I put together about 10 years ago. I think they are the older Forgeworld resin ones or recasts or both. They look like they are all Mk IV with mishmash shoulders and axes, and their officer is in MK III on a 32mm base. The rest look like they are all on the old 25mm bases.

IMG_1419.jpeg

I wish I had left myself some freaking notes. I found a little bag full of the old model plasma pistols (why???) and another full of old combi-bolters.

Some days you get the paint. Some days the paint gets you.
20230216_222719.jpg
NASA has stl files of real asteroids, and that big crawler the use to move rockets (not pictured, did not print well). The walrus is a legit Starfinder character with higher walking speed than anyone in the party (and faster than the jet pack too) and stupid high stealth despite looking like a stolen car.
20230216_222805.jpg
Also, zombie Easter Bunny. Because.
20230216_223707.jpg
The mind flayers and demon head are ok. Plus I have a little Godzilla hat pin now.
20230216_223722.jpg
These are the "bad".
20230216_223732.jpg
And the "ugly".
20230216_224102.jpg
Can't forget the ultra low budget minis. Tho the shadow thing is from a huge set I have around somewhere from a supers game, that worked really well.
20230216_224449.jpg
Don't forget the disposable mooks by the dozen.

I wish I had left myself some freaking notes. I found a little bag full of the old model plasma pistols (why???) and another full of old combi-bolters.
Because you can put one plasma pistol in for every 5 berserkers and, and one time anyway, that was a complete no-brainer?

Really?? That must have been what I was going for since I have berserkers.
There was a real lack of high-impact weaponry in a lot of Khorne options. Those plasma pistols were key for dealing with mid-toughness monsters and light vehicles. Plus ganking some extra marine equivalent targets.

Some days you get the paint. Some days the paint gets you.
View attachment 56581
NASA has stl files of real asteroids, and that big crawler the use to move rockets (not pictured, did not print well). The walrus is a legit Starfinder character with higher walking speed than anyone in the party (and faster than the jet pack too) and stupid high stealth despite looking like a stolen car.
View attachment 56582
Also, zombie Easter Bunny. Because.
View attachment 56583
The mind flayers and demon head are ok. Plus I have a little Godzilla hat pin now.
View attachment 56584
These are the "bad".
View attachment 56585
And the "ugly".
View attachment 56586
Can't forget the ultra low budget minis. Tho the shadow thing is from a huge set I have around somewhere from a supers game, that worked really well.
View attachment 56587
Don't forget the disposable mooks by the dozen.

This is pure awesome.

It has begun.

I primed 20 World Eaters I put together about 10 years ago. I think they are the older Forgeworld resin ones or recasts or both. They look like they are all Mk IV with mishmash shoulders and axes, and their officer is in MK III on a 32mm base. The rest look like they are all on the old 25mm bases.

View attachment 56577

Here is my first prototype. I want them grimy/gritty.

IMG_1426.jpeg

Definitely has that beat up, or even a sandblasted look to them. I like the work on the blue parts...makes it look like the paint is fading or scrapped away. Nice work!

Know what makes even minis with janky paint jobs look 1000% better?

Playing with them with your pals who can't paint or assemble minis at all!
Fun fact: pla 3d prints at 50% fill and medium resolution are pretty fast and you're happy to slap down a box of white figures plus a rainbow pack of fine tip premanent markers. Give your table a 3d coloring book. They aren't beautiful but you can send someone home with their own fig they colored, or you can let them choose colors and then just paint over it. Best is you don't care if a fig or three get ruined because they're cheap that way.
Here is my first prototype. I want them grimy/gritty.
That's good. WTF is it doing in this thread?

Fun fact: pla 3d prints at 50% fill and medium resolution are pretty fast and you're happy to slap down a box of white figures plus a rainbow pack of fine tip premanent markers. Give your table a 3d coloring book. They aren't beautiful but you can send someone home with their own fig they colored, or you can let them choose colors and then just paint over it. Best is you don't care if a fig or three get ruined because they're cheap that way.

That's good. WTF is it doing in this thread?
It's a work in progress, I still have time to screw it up. LOL

Know what makes even minis with janky paint jobs look 1000% better?

Playing with them with your pals who can't paint or assemble minis at all!
That's the spirit. I've had the mixed privilege of learning mini painting alongside a housemate who's getting much better at it much faster than I am. But at least mine look better than unpainted plastic and resin! Mostly.

So, a process question. Grimy on white might be better realized with dark browns as the deep shade than black. Or even wot some blues involved. Straight black works to, but it's not ... fancy.
Right now this model is a blank slate to test stuff on. I am practicing on these old Forgeworld ones before moving onto the newer plastic ones.

I tried the chipping method with a bit sponge, but I think that is more effective on bigger models. I'm leery about the brown grime since I have some (20 or 30) Death Guard that I was planning on using that one them to differentiate (and hint o' nurgle).

What shade of blue are are you thinking would work?

Something like this?
world-eater.jpeg

Last edited:
Something like that. Ive used blues very much like to highlight white power armour. I would try to keep more of the flat plate surface white, but the palette is there for sure. Even just a couple of washes, keeping to the cracks and crevices and re-whiting the plates works fine.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back