Nu-TSR suing WotC: Schadenfreude is back on the menu, boys!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Gringnr

D6 Nutz
Reaction score

So, the brain trust at nu-TSR is asking for money, ostensibly to sue WotC for... I dunno. Filing says trademark stuff.

But they're also wanting to somehow force TSR to remove the "Legacy products disclaimer" on dtrpg, etc.

No, they don't have a chance, but they have made the goal "flexible", so they get to pocket the cash either way.

1639001048878.png

Who am I supposed to be feeling the schadenfreude towards again? The dumb mooks that give them money, the poor judge that has to preside over this or is it the paralegals who have to file the briefs?

85090259.jpg

Are any of the Gygax children still associated with nuTSR in any way?

Consider yourself lucky. I got a new batch of clients at work. They are all law firms that fish for poor and stupid people with grounds for a lucrative lawsuit. I am not using hyperbole, punching down, or being cruel. The majority of candidates are rejected because they are idiotic and trying to sugarcoat it would be dishonest. A typical case is someone looking to sue because they slipped and fell in their own home or property. Many of them involve accidents that were obviously their own fault. The first couple days it was entertaining to share them around the office but at this point the sheer volume of the same stupid claims over and over again is depressing.

Consider yourself lucky. I got a new batch of clients at work. They are all law firms that fish for poor and stupid people with grounds for a lucrative lawsuit. I am not using hyperbole, punching down, or being cruel. The majority of candidates are rejected because they are idiotic and trying to sugarcoat it would be dishonest. A typical case is someone looking to sue because they slipped and fell in their own home or property. Many of them involve accidents that were obviously their own fault. The first couple days it was entertaining to share them around the office but at this point the sheer volume of the same stupid claims over and over again is depressing.
True story. Back when I was a student I was involved in the student paper. The Vice President of the Student's Union threatened to sue for something I'd written about her in the gossip column we did.

She decided against it when it was pointed out a) that she had legal responsibility for the contents of the paper and b) that her employment contract did actually require her to check copy before publication every two weeks even if she hadn't bothered to do so for six months.

Well, look. For a generation now, the zeitgeist in the US has been "If something bad ever happens to me, it must be someone else's fault, and they ought to support me for the rest of my life because of it." And the system here works something like the lottery: almost everyone loses all the $ they put into it, but a lot of people know someone who won big to impel them to keep playing. In the case of the legal system, there are enough newspaper headlines about someone who won big with some ridiculous suit -- oddly enough, the media tends to bury the awards' subsequent reduction on appeal on page 37 -- to impel them to keep playing.

Maybe nu-TSR should, and I know this is crazy talk, make some games or something?

Like are they actively trying to stir up more ill will?
They actually have one! A boardgame, albeit on pre order.

Someone needs to tell them that the modern boardgame community expects rulebook pdfs before it preorders from unknowns (and to not use setting fluff as their game description) but it's something at least.

Although announcing it when everyone is hyped about the new Heroquest edition is that smart marketing we've come to expect from LaNasa.

(I do feel bad for Donald Senora the designer, who seems to be a fantasy author trying to make it big).

Oh, also, nu-TSR is publishing LaNasa's "Tales for Tots" RPG. Cheekily they're presenting it as an exciting new game rather than something he's been pushing for several years.

Sadly, there is still no announcement of a special RPG tie-in with LaNasa's magnum opus "My name is Chezza, Not Pizza".

Oh, also, nu-TSR is publishing LaNasa's "Tales for Tots" RPG. Cheekily they're presenting it as an exciting new game rather than something he's been pushing for several years.

Sadly, there is still no announcement of a special RPG tie-in with LaNasa's magnum opus "My name is Chezza, Not Pizza".
Um.. What. The. Fuck?

Um.. What. The. Fuck?
LaNasa is nu-TSR to all intents and purposes now I think. Ernie is just being used for his name. (Which is one of the reasons I'm only taking the piss out of LaNasa now and leaving Ernie alone. It really is starting to feel like he's being heavily manipulated by a con man).

LaNasa is nu-TSR to all intents and purposes now I think. Ernie is just being used for his name. (Which is one of the reasons I'm only taking the piss out of LaNasa now and leaving Ernie alone. It really is starting to feel like he's being heavily manipulated by a con man).
I'm just going to quote myself in a thread about this exact topic on another forum:

He's a Copper Dragon. But not a good Copper Dragon, but one of those douchey Copper Dragons that hangs out near Castle Greyhawk selling uppers and maps to Mordenkainen.

If nothing else, this did remind me that nuTSR exists - which I have to imagine is the main point of the case unless, as suggested above, someone is being taken for a ride.

Going to make a prediction now.

This will, at best, make it to the first stage of a case and get thrown out.

At which point LaNasa will shout about how unfair that is and attempt to grift more money on the back of it.

I hope Nu-TSR gets awarded the rights to D&D. I can't wait to play a 6e character with the "Grits Wrestling" Talent...

Something else that raises a serious eyebrow in terms of business practice. (I knew that journalism degree would come in handy eventually).

LaNasa is, from what I can tell, the sole owner of the TSR museum.

So why precisely does the nu-TSR website redirect all its sales through the museum website.

It might say that LaNasa is the CEO, but that strongly suggests they aren't even distinct companies now.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back