Nu-TSR suing WotC: Schadenfreude is back on the menu, boys!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Y'know, there was a period when Kenny G was an enjoyable player from a fellow saxophone player perspective. And then he did so much of his noodling (term for dragging out phrases with extra musical flourishes) it just got on your last nerve. I kinda feel bad he became a bit of a joke, but then he was able to parley his love into a professional career and retire. Not many can say that.

But yeah... the quiet storm needs more sax-y.

He's not retired.

There's a good recent HBO doc on him, I'd say his playing has actually improved although he definitely has odd tastes aesthetically for a player of what is largely considered a jazz instrument (e.g. he says he didn't really know players like Coltrane or Rollins until later in his career!).

I think we should have a "Meanwhile at the RPGPUB..." meme for our habit of having enough tangents for a circle.

Yeah, Kenny G is one of those who is pleasing to idly listen to while it made my jazz bebop classmates' (and teacher's) blood boil. I was in the camp of a few songs, then I need a break. But then I was never as serious as they were about jazz. Bop kinda annoyed me from a playing challenge and it wasn't too danceable either, but I respected it as "big brain, serious music not for me." If you've been around music nerds you might get what I mean. e.g. You can see this remove in metal scenes, too.

I should explain growling. It is not a trill from alternating nearby notes quickly, but actual voiced glottal-epiglottal rolling, growling, while playing a note. (There are other ways, I am sure.) It's slanged as 'dirty' because it is throaty, like a husky, whiskey/smoke rasped voice.

Here's a tiny clip of growling on a clarinet, "House of the Rising Sun."
(Note the written music below and suffering clarinet players have to go through playing so many notes all the time. It's constantly like this in symphony and orchestra too, practicing scales in the background while practically no one can hear you.)

Yeah, Kenny G is one of those who is pleasing to idly listen to while it made my jazz bebop classmates' (and teacher's) blood boil.
While I worked at a jazz club the jazz snobs hated on Kenny G with a passion. I didn't understand the hate but imagine my indifference is akin to how outsiders view RPG edition wars.

The amount of stuff I’ve learned in this thread, none of which has anything whatsoever to do with the shitshow that is nuTSR, is amazing.

That is all.

Honestly I like when we get into non-RPG subjects because we get to see a little bit of the things that each of us are really into outside of RPGs, and I like hearing people talk passionately about things they like.

Honestly I like when we get into non-RPG subjects because we get to see a little bit of the things that each of us are really into outside of RPGs, and I like hearing people talk passionately about things they like.
giphy.gif

:tongue: :smile:

As it happens, I am quite the goose fan. I have nothing bur respect for those unruly, misbegotten, feral little bastards. They remind me of me.

I am a geese goose.

I think we should have a "Meanwhile at the RPGPUB..." meme for our habit of having enough tangents for a circle.

Yeah, Kenny G is one of those who is pleasing to idly listen to while it made my jazz bebop classmates' (and teacher's) blood boil. I was in the camp of a few songs, then I need a break. But then I was never as serious as they were about jazz. Bop kinda annoyed me from a playing challenge and it wasn't too danceable either, but I respected it as "big brain, serious music not for me." If you've been around music nerds you might get what I mean. e.g. You can see this remove in metal scenes, too.

I should explain growling. It is not a trill from alternating nearby notes quickly, but actual voiced glottal-epiglottal rolling, growling, while playing a note. (There are other ways, I am sure.) It's slanged as 'dirty' because it is throaty, like a husky, whiskey/smoke rasped voice.

Here's a tiny clip of growling on a clarinet, "House of the Rising Sun."
(Note the written music below and suffering clarinet players have to go through playing so many notes all the time. It's constantly like this in symphony and orchestra too, practicing scales in the background while practically no one can hear you.)

Is that the Queen of New Orleans? I forget her name.

I always was surprised that Kenny G didn't seem to cross the pond. I mean, I do get why some other US sub-genres, e.g. everything country-affiliated, don't do as well here, but instrumental music should be pretty universal. On the other hand, that probably means that you didn't have to suffer through Ballade pour Adeline.
I was in Hanoi a few years back and Kenny G was having a concert there.

Looking that up, I found that a Kenny G tune is the official closing time announcement in China. Not even gonna joke about that.
Damn. Not gon lie, but I will not be surprised if you tell me I actually heard this played at cinemas after the credits or after a session at a conference dozens of times without registering it.

This channel came up in our diversion into My Cousin Vinnie, but this episode seems appropriate for this thread.

Legal Eagle examines Shaggy's "Wasn't me" defense. :hehe:

Way better legal advice than Nu TSR seems to have available.

I recall a scene from an old movie or TV show where a man was caught in bed with another woman by his wife and just calmly got up, put on his dressing robe, put his pipe in his mouth (like I said this was an old movie), sat down, and insisted that his wife was mistaken.

"© TSR HOBBIES"

Oh, FFS ...

HEY GUYS! THIS IS THE REAL DEAL OLD SCHOOL GAME I REMEMBER FROM WHEN I WAS A WEE LAD!

LET'S BUY IT!

/i humbly apologize for the all caps
//it won't happen again
///sorry
////not sorry

I recall a scene from an old movie or TV show where a man was caught in bed with another woman by his wife and just calmly got up, put on his dressing robe, put his pipe in his mouth (like I said this was an old movie), sat down, and insisted that his wife was mistaken.

Yeah, with Jack Lemmon. I think it was from the 1965 comedy "How to Murder Your Wife"

Edit: scratch that. I think it was the 1967 Walter Matthau film "A Guide for the Married Man"

Tenuous Tom Cruise/Top Gun link But a tenuous link is all I need.

Last edited:
Brings a bit of a different meaning than I intended to screw all the geese.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back