Nu-TSR suing WotC: Schadenfreude is back on the menu, boys!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Why in the Hell didn't Ernie just work with his brother, Luke? Luke is established in the rpg industry, has a successful con, isngetting ready to launch his own game, etc. What need did Ernie have to get involved with anyone else, let alone nu-TurdSR?

Why in the Hell didn't Ernie just work with his brother, Luke? Luke is established in the rpg industry, has a successful con, isngetting ready to launch his own game, etc. What need did Ernie have to get involved with anyone else, let alone nu-TurdSR?

Ernie:
burning-dumpster-flood-gif-2.gif

That business the legal document cites re. the max IQ scores of 'negro' and 'nordic' races is enough to make any normal person's skin crawl. It sounds like the authors are trying to publish something that would have been easy to spot as embarrassingly racist 50 years ago.

This crap is way beyond sensitivity readers or other things that will trigger a culture-war flareup of snarky comments on both sides. If you want to publish a game where 'negros' are a dumb subrace of humans, you need to be squashed by a big thumb.

This crap is way beyond sensitivity readers or other things that will trigger a culture-war flareup of snarky comments on both sides. If you want to publish a game where 'negros' are a dumb subrace of humans, you need to be squashed by a big thumb.
I think the giant thumb is inbound as we speak.

nuTSR: Should I be a horrible racist in this section of the book?
Senstitivity Reader: Umm ... I'm going with no, again.
nuTSR: Oh, really? I'm glad I hired you, this stuff is complicated.

I'm starting to think the NuTSRs hired an INsesnitivity reader. Because, man, you almost have to be trying to make shit as racist as they did. It's like, at every juncture, they asked themselves, "Is this racist?", and then went, "Yeah. It's perfect!"

The book was written by someone (Dave Johnson) who repeatedly shared neo-nazi memes, and "edited" by another (Justin) who referred to black people as "porch monkeys." What did you expect? That's...way beyond the purview of any sensitivity reader.

The game is about what you'd expect given that it was written by a bunch of ignorant redneckbeard fucks. No sensitivity writer alive could have fixed it.
Am I understanding you correctly that you think rednecks are racists? Or just ignorant rednecks? Or that these writers are ignorant rednecks who just happen to also be racists?
Keep in mind that I know a fair number of people who you would probably term rednecks, and they might not be exactly what you think If you're painting with too broad a brush.

Am I understanding you correctly that you think rednecks are racists? Or just ignorant rednecks? Or that these writers are ignorant rednecks who just happen to also be racists?
Keep in mind that I know a fair number of people who you would probably term rednecks, and they might not be exactly what you think If you're painting with too broad a brush.
I was coining an neologism actually, with redneckbeard as a portmanteau of redneck and neckbeard. Nothing in the least against normal people who might be referred to as rednecks because of their attire, career, accent, or where they live.

I was coining an neologism actually, with redneckbeard as a portmanteau of redneck and neckbeard. Nothing in the least against normal people who might be referred to as rednecks because of their attire, career, accent, or where they live.
Cool. Thanks for the response and clarification!

I'm starting to think the NuTSRs hired an INsesnitivity reader. Because, man, you almost have to be trying to make shit as racist as they did. It's like, at every juncture, they asked themselves, "Is this racist?", and then went, "Yeah. It's perfect!"

I actually think this might be the case. It really comes off like Ernie is doing this Nu-TSR thing as some weird elaborate troll scheme for God knows what reason. Like he and his employees are trying to do some elaborate bizarre attention whoring scheme by acting like a caricature turbo-right wing racist to get attention.

It just reeks of either some deep-cover Andy Kaufman/Deagle Nation-esque satire or maybe it's just a poorly thought out attempt to engage in grifting and attention whoring and keep WOTC tied up in court for some dumb fucking reason.

It just reeks of either some deep-cover Andy Kaufman/Deagle Nation-esque satire or maybe it's just a poorly thought out attempt to engage in grifting and attention whoring and keep WOTC tied up in court for some dumb fucking reason.
The thing is, I don't think they actually get what it is that people find offensive about what they've written; they leap straight to "bad word upset liberals" rather than understanding the concepts which make the word bad. To mangle the traditional free speech example, if you told them "don't say fire in a crowded theatre unless there actually is one", they'd consider the word "fire" to be the thing folk objected to, not the underlying concept "don't use words that might cause a panic when you're in a small space and people could get hurt in the ensuing chaos".

Most of us could write something twice as bigoted and with actual plausible deniability, because we understand the actual things that are problems, rather than just the surface-level stuff.

I actually think this might be the case. It really comes off like Ernie is doing this Nu-TSR thing as some weird elaborate troll scheme for God knows what reason. Like he and his employees are trying to do some elaborate bizarre attention whoring scheme by acting like a caricature turbo-right wing racist to get attention.

My money is on the latter. This feels like an attempt to TradeMark troll and extort money from WotC that has MASSIVELY backfired. Even the ridiculously over the top racist crap kinda feels like a Justin LaNasa bluff "meet our demands or I'll permanently damage your brand!" It was a bluff, and WotC called it.

I thought that the rumour was that they didn't hire anyone and relied on in-house talent, instead?

My money is on the latter. This feels like an attempt to TradeMark troll and extort money from WotC that has MASSIVELY backfired. Even the ridiculously over the top racist crap kinda feels like a Justin LaNasa bluff "meet our demands or I'll permanently damage your brand!" It was a bluff, and WotC called it.
This is what it is looking like to me. It makes the most sense.

From his webpage, Justin fancies himself an innovative entrepreneur (and weapons designer).

There's been a fair amount happening, from what I gather. But, I'm not really following it, mainly because it's spread out in different places. I think someone mailed Tenkar some poop.
I’m pretty sure that’s a federal crime.

Everyone seems to have pretty high tolerance for videos nowadays. I will read 50,000 words in one sitting before I watch a 2 minute video, let alone these monstrous long one that everyone keeps producing.

It’s leaving me in the dark for all this nonsense, but so be it, I guess
It's not the overall length of videos that gets me as much at the way so many videos take around 5 minutes to get actually get to the revelation promised in the title of the video. If you give me the actual information quickly, there is a chance that I might stick around for your longer thoughts on it. If it gets to the two-minute mark without you even starting the main point yet, I'm going to the search bar for a better information source.

They really listed the Negroid race as having limited intelligence? You'd figure if they were going for the "realistic data" part, they'd look at, you know, realistic data, which shows certain populations in Africa having a higher average IQ then Caucasians.

The thing is, I don't think they actually get what it is that people find offensive about what they've written; they leap straight to "bad word upset liberals" rather than understanding the concepts which make the word bad. To mangle the traditional free speech example, if you told them "don't say fire in a crowded theatre unless there actually is one", they'd consider the word "fire" to be the thing folk objected to, not the underlying concept "don't use words that might cause a panic when you're in a small space and people could get hurt in the ensuing chaos".

Most of us could write something twice as bigoted and with actual plausible deniability, because we understand the actual things that are problems, rather than just the surface-level stuff.
Actually, the key concept is...don't intentionally say things that might cause a panic when you know that it isn't true. If you thought there actually was a fire and was wrong, that's a different story.

So many thousands of pages of legal documents in every sphere of life just boil down to "don't lie".

They really listed the Negroid race as having limited intelligence? You'd figure if they were going for the "realistic data" part, they'd look at, you know, realistic data, which shows certain populations in Africa having a higher average IQ then Caucasians.
But bro they put so much time and effort into the "Phrenologist" class

The sad part is I've still seen people try to defend this shit on Facebook posts linking to news articles about it. For the most part, even people who are usually on the other side of the "culture war" are like "whoa, yeah, this is legitimately racist as fuck" but there are still a distressingly large number of people trying to play the "bruh it's just fantasy lul" card.

Folks, we really don't need to talk about the Culture War or its participants to talk about how massively racist f-ups NuTSR are
... I was commenting that in general both sides agree this is fucked up, but that there are still some people who seem clueless (and/or just incredibly unquestionably racist) and still defending it who are so far out there as to be laughable. I don't think that is the same thing as you are making it out to be.

... I was commenting that in general both sides agree this is fucked up, but that there are still some people who seem clueless (and/or just incredibly unquestionably racist) and still defending it who are so far out there as to be laughable. I don't think that is the same thing as you are making it out to be.

Do not bring up the Culture War.

This is what it is looking like to me. It makes the most sense.

From his webpage, Justin fancies himself an innovative entrepreneur (and weapons designer).
>Weapons designer.

OF COURSE. ON TOP OF ALL THE OTHER ABSURDITIES HERE, THIS DUDE IS A FUCKING REFORMER.:grin:

AKA, fighter plane mafia. Look up Lazerpig on YouTube and prepare to laugh at these idiots, when you aren't cringing at the fact CNN are constantly giving them oxygen.

Look up Lazerpig on YouTube and prepare to laugh at these idiots, when you aren't cringing at the fact CNN are constantly giving them oxygen.

I did a search. I think the video thumbnails told me all I need or care to know about the kind of video creator the person is.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back