OD&D in-character thread

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
"What, no thymes? Barbarians!", Boyan says loud enough, outraged. "For my part, I'd only eat you boiled with thymes, basil, garlic, tomato, onion and pepper!"
He turns to inspect the room they're in. Mostly for valuables and especially, doors.
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
1,750
Seri winces as potential valuables crash on the floor. She makes a mental note to pocket something before they move on.

But first, she starts looking around for another exit...

“Those bozos will be eating a few arrows before they get a bite out of me!”

[OOC: Seri would be on the lookout for shiny, sparkly, expensive-looking things. In her simple, miner's daughter life, jewels are expensive and precious more than anything else. Based on the initial descriptions, objects such as that sparkly dagger would catch her eye...]
 
Last edited:

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
974
Pustar looks pale.

"It looks like we might end up in the frying pan after all!"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,022
Reaction score
19,370
Balin whispers "Make a trap of the other shelves. Set them up to fall trapping them in and another set keeping them from moving forward. We can light them.

That or we just wall up the door with shelves while searching for useful items"
Let me know for sure which you all are doing as it sounds like only some of you are cooperating with this idea.
"What, no thymes? Barbarians!", Boyan says loud enough, outraged. "For my part, I'd only eat you boiled with thymes, basil, garlic, tomato, onion and pepper!"
Pustar looks pale.

"It looks like we might end up in the frying pan after all!"
A large enough crack appears in the door that you can briefly see a gnoll peering through. "Little pigs, little pigs, we'll cook you alive while you turn on a spit!" he snarls.
Seri winces as potential valuables crash on the floor. She makes a mental note to pocket something before they move on.

But first, she starts looking around for another exit...

[OOC: Seri would be on the lookout for shiny, sparkly, expensive-looking things. In her simple, miner's daughter life, jewels are expensive and precious more than anything else. Based on the initial descriptions, objects such as that sparkly dagger would catch her eye...]
He turns to inspect the room they're in. Mostly for valuables and especially, doors.
Vials, phials, piles of books and ornaments are visible on the assorted shelves, with no particular rhyme or reason. There are paintings and figurines, scrolls, scraps of cloth, silver plates and goblets, even a small harp. For most of the objects their primary value would likely be religious or historical, although more than a few items are made of gold or inlaid with gems. There are no convenient caches of coins or jewels, or at least none that you can see. There is a small desk and chair in a nearby corner, and an old yellowing scroll with faded writing in ink, perhaps a catalogue or record of some kind. There are no other doors visible from your current position, but you can't see to the other end of the room due to the intervening shelves.
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
1,750
Seri quickly loses interest in the baubles at her feet when she hears the monster's mocking voice through the door. She raises her bow, nocks an arrow and takes aim at the hole.

"Oh no! Please don't eat us! Have mercy!" she shouts at the fiends, hoping that they'll have a second look through the hole...
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
2,460
Cosar joins Balin in setting up the other shelves as a trap. Aware that some of the stuff in this room might be a signficant portion of the tombs wealth upsets him, but needs must. He gestures for Lürgen to join.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,529
Reaction score
5,870
Balin helps pushing the shelves. If he finds small items he can pocket while doing so, (necklaces, rings, figurines, amulets, maybe a dagger) he will.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
Boyan stumbles towards the other end of the room, hoping for an exit.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,022
Reaction score
19,370
Seri quickly loses interest in the baubles at her feet when she hears the monster's mocking voice through the door. She raises her bow, nocks an arrow and takes aim at the hole.

"Oh no! Please don't eat us! Have mercy!" she shouts at the fiends, hoping that they'll have a second look through the hole...
The response is a huge axe chopping through the door, sending chunks of wood flying over your head. A grinning, salivating, fanged gnoll's face appears to taunt you through the hole.
Cosar joins Balin in setting up the other shelves as a trap. Aware that some of the stuff in this room might be a signficant portion of the tombs wealth upsets him, but needs must. He gestures for Lürgen to join.
"Fick dich, ich suche einen Ausgang!" shouts Lürgen in gnomish before running down one of the aisles away from the rapidly breaking door.
He turns to inspect the room they're in. Mostly for valuables and especially, doors.
Lürgen darts past Boyan and, looking to where Lürgen is headed, believes he sees a door at the far, far end of the room, barely discernible. As for valuables, there is a nice-looking band of gold wrapped around a metacarpal under glass in a hinged box. Set in the gold band is a large diamond. Presumably the finger bone once was attached to a holy man or saint of some sort.
Pustar helps with moving more shelves.
Balin helps pushing the shelves.
Cosar, Pustar, and Balin arrange a series of shelves to blockade the door and hopefully trap the gnolls when they break through the door.
If he finds small items he can pocket while doing so, (necklaces, rings, figurines, amulets, maybe a dagger) he will.
Balin espies a glittering bejeweled dagger near his feet. The emeralds, rubies, and sapphires set in the hilt shine quite beautifully.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
Boyan smashes the glass wih his mailed glove and takes the metacarpal.
"Come here while we can!", he calls the others, while stuffing the loot among his other possessions, and continuing forward.
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
1,750
Seri smirks back at the ugly fiend and takes a shot at his big, ugly face. Once the arrow is loose, the Hobbit spins around to meet up with her new comrades, without looking back to see if her shot was true.

[OOC: how do you handle attacks in PbP?]
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,529
Reaction score
5,870
With the knowledge there is a potential exit Balin will pour a flask or two of oil on the bookshelves with an eye towards creating a flaming barrier should they break through.
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
1,750
Seri’s arrow launches forward!

[attack roll of 17, damage 4]

She rushes away toward Boyan, who seems to know what to do.
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
974
Once the shelves are in place, Pustar re-readies his sling and slowly begins retreating backward.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
2,460
Cosar simply stands ready for if and when the gnolls enter.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,022
Reaction score
19,370
With the knowledge there is a potential exit Balin will pour a flask or two of oil on the bookshelves with an eye towards creating a flaming barrier should they break through.
One flask or two? And after that, what will Balin do?
Seri’s arrow launches forward!

[attack roll of 17, damage 4]

She rushes away toward Boyan, who seems to know what to do.
Seri's aim is true and you hear a shriek of pain as your arrow penetrates a gnoll's eye socket.
Once the shelves are in place, Pustar re-readies his sling and slowly begins retreating backward.
There is a moment of ominous quiet after the gnoll's shriek and the air is thick with tension until suddenly one voice howls like a baying wolf and then the rest of the pack joins in. The sound is both eerie and bloodcurdling.
Cosar simply stands ready for if and when the gnolls enter.
Suddenly the door splinters apart, sending chunks of wood flying back, and you feel the shelves heaved back as well by sheer gnoll brute force; even as they push their way into the room the gnolls bark and howl and hiss, their slavering jaws baring sharp white fangs built for rending flesh. Those at the front of the pack are wielding large axes that are making short work of the barricade as they chop it into so much kindling. The gnolls are enraged: their eyes are red with lust for blood, but more disturbing is the way they're almost smiling with pleasure at the thought of ripping your tender bodies to shreds as they feed on you while you're still alive to feel it.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
Boyan moves as quickly as possible to reach the door.
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
974
Pustar launches a sling shot at one of the gnolls (to hit: 12+1 for DEX, damage: 4).
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
1,750
Seri hears, rather than sees the gnolls, her imagination filling in the details as a cocktail of pure fear. “Oh shit!”

She runs to follow Boyan.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,529
Reaction score
5,870
Balin throws a flaming second flask at the entryway while making a hasty retreat towards the door.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
2,460
Cosar runs forward toward the gnolls and unfurls the magic from his mind.

"Sleep now!" he shouts

OOC: Ten affected I think
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
1,750
Seri, still following Boyan, is hugely impressed because she's never really witnessed magic before.

"Ha ha eat it, monsters! We've got a wizard on our side! Ha ha!"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,022
Reaction score
19,370
Boyan moves as quickly as possible to reach the door.
Hot on the heels of the fleeing Lürgen, Boyan, having a longer stride, soon overtakes the gnome and they arrive quickly at a forbidding double-doorway made of stone and ornamented with a devilish head at the top and twin serpents or dragons carved into either door.
20190610_203956.jpg
Lürgen stops abruptly and politely gestures for Boyan to precede him.
Pustar launches a sling shot at one of the gnolls (to hit: 12+1 for DEX, damage: 4).
Pustar's aim is off and his stone nearly hits the back of Cosar's head rather than a gnoll; fortunately it harmlessly ricochets off a wall instead of interrupting the wizard's spellcasting.
Seri hears, rather than sees the gnolls, her imagination filling in the details as a cocktail of pure fear. “Oh shit!”

She runs to follow Boyan.
Seri nearly stumbles into Lürgen, who has skidded to a halt before the ominous door.
Balin throws a flaming second flask at the entryway while making a hasty retreat towards the door.
The shelves and more flammable antiquities have burst into flame. Some unknown object explodes, sending tiny slivers of glass hurtling through the reliquary. The slivers are too small to cause serious harm unless they puncture an eye; luckily Balin has turned just in time and rather than lose an eye he merely receives a lacerated left cheek.
Cosar runs forward toward the gnolls and unfurls the magic from his mind.

"Sleep now!" he shouts

OOC: Ten affected I think
The ten gnolls at the front collapse in a heap; their comrades-in-arms attempt to drag them out of the way but not before the fur of a few is singed. The gnoll previously partially blinded by Seri's arrow is among the most badly burned.
Seri, still following Boyan, is hugely impressed because she's never really witnessed magic before.

"Ha ha eat it, monsters! We've got a wizard on our side! Ha ha!"
Flames lick at the ceiling, blackening it, and the room begins to fill with dark billowing smoke. You can no longer see the gnolls, but you can hear scraping sounds beyond the wall of smoke. The chamber is also getting incredibly hot. The combination of heat and smoke is making it difficult to breathe, especially for the taller members of the party. The good news is the gnolls' advance should be forestalled for at least a little while.

Soon all of you are standing at the rear door of the reliquary. Lürgen moodily grunts, "Good thing I found us a way out, especially now that you've set the place on fire! I don't see any locks or knobs or handles..."
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
1,750
Seri gets creeped out by all the tiny little people sculptures. She leaves the door to her new comrades, not trusting anything with demon faces on it.

Her back to the door, she draws her bow and nocks another arrow, ready to loose it at whatever ugly thing emerges from the smoke.

I think that this is where I die, she ponders grimly.
 
Last edited:

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
974
Pustar positions himself next to Seri, sling at the ready.

"We'll try to hold them off," he says, "While one of you gets the door open."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,529
Reaction score
5,870
Balin does his beyto search for hidden latches or some other way to open the door. He'll use his dagger to pry at it if it comes to it.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
"I'm getting used to it now", Boyan answers, and proceeds to look over the door. He runs his hands on the edges, looking for levers and the like, and eyes the odds of inserting a dagger between the two parts of it.
Almost unable to restrain himself, he pulls the nose of one of the demon figures.

OOC: At least it looks like a dipterous door!
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
2,460
Cosar is momentarily pleased with himself, before he remembers there are more gnolls behind the ones he subdued. He legs it to the door.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,022
Reaction score
19,370
Balin does his beyto search for hidden latches or some other way to open the door. He'll use his dagger to pry at it if it comes to it.
"I'm getting used to it now", Boyan answers, and proceeds to look over the door. He runs his hands on the edges, looking for levers and the like, and eyes the odds of inserting a dagger between the two parts of it.

Almost unable to restrain himself, he pulls the nose of one of the demon figures.

OOC: At least it looks like a dipterous door!
Cosar is momentarily pleased with himself, before he remembers there are more gnolls behind the ones he subdued. He legs it to the door.
Cosar joins the crowd at the door and sees Lürgen standing to one side with his arms crossed and his left foot tapping impatiently while Balin seeks a hidden latch or another way to open the double-door and Boyan pulls on the nose of a carved devil. Seri and Pustar have adopted defensive postures in case the gnolls get through the blazing fire behind you. Boyan finds his fingers are coated with a moist greenish-black residue, perhaps some sort of mold. Balin finds that the slightest pressure causes the doors to open inward, revealing a dark, downward-sloping passage about the same width as the doors, approximately ten feet across and ten feet high. There are dead torches visible in sconces along the right side of the passageway. The floor and ceiling are covered in blue tiles and the passage veers gently to the right into darkness. From behind you comes renewed howling and the sound of axes chopping at wood.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
"Let's go", Boyan says, wiping his gloved fingers carefully off.
And he steps first through the door.
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
1,750
Seri nervously looks back over her shoulder. Relieved to see an escape route, she lessens the tension in her bow and turns to follow Boyan.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,529
Reaction score
5,870
"After you!" Balin says to the impatient Lurgen.
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
974
Pustar notes the downward slope of the passageway and offers a silent prayer to the Wise Mother.

"Perhaps I should bring up the rear?" he suggests.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,022
Reaction score
19,370
"Let's go", Boyan says, wiping his gloved fingers carefully off.

And he steps first through the door.
Seri nervously looks back over her shoulder. Relieved to see an escape route, she lessens the tension in her bow and turns to follow Boyan.
"After you!" Balin says to the impatient Lurgen.
"Don't think I don't notice how you always deliberately pronounce my name without the umlauts, dwarf," mutters Lürgen as he follows Boyan and Seri. "Just you wait."
Pustar notes the downward slope of the passageway and offers a silent prayer to the Wise Mother.
"Perhaps I should bring up the rear?" he suggests.
It's very important now to establish your marching order just in case anything should happen in this passageway...the passage is about 10 feet across so you don't have to travel single-file unless you want to...just in case anything should happen... :devil:
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
OOC: Boyan is first (on the right).
BTW, how many of his weapons did you leave behind?
 
Last edited:

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
1,750
OOC: Seri is too short to be in front, so she’ll keep to the rear, keeping an eye on their pursuers (bow ready). If the party goes single file, she’ll go last. If two rows, she’ll go on the left side.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
2,460
Cosar will wait to go at the very back and then close the doors. If he manages to do that he places both palms on the doorway and casts "Hold Portal".

OOC: Roll of 9 turns if I'm lucky enough to cast it
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,529
Reaction score
5,870
Balin laughs "Never could get the hang of Gnomish names."
He heads to the front ranks right hand side.
 
Top