OD&D in-character thread

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
974
I guess Pustar is near the back, but obviously not as far back as Cosar. Actually maybe in the middle. Not at the front for sure.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,021
Reaction score
19,370
OOC: Boyan is first (on the right).
BTW, how many of his weapons did you leave behind?
As far as I know all of your gear was left behind. The gnome dragged you by your feet by himself, so anything that wasn't strapped on your body would still be back where he dragged you from or up in the chamber where you were paralyzed.
OOC: Seri is too short to be in front, so she’ll keep to the rear, keeping an eye on their pursuers (bow ready). If the party goes single file, she’ll go last. If two rows, she’ll go on the left side.
Cosar will wait to go at the very back and then close the doors. If he manages to do that he places both palms on the doorway and casts "Hold Portal".

OOC: Roll of 9 turns if I'm lucky enough to cast it
The air between you and the doors seems to shimmer and warp, changing from transparent to bizarrely opaque before returning to normal.
Balin laughs "Never could get the hang of Gnomish names."
He heads to the front ranks right hand side.
I guess Pustar is near the back, but obviously not as far back as Cosar. Actually maybe in the middle. Not at the front for sure.
As you advance you hear an abrupt clicking sound and realize someone may have inadvertently activated a trap or defense mechanism. Balin, Boyan, and the gnome all need to make a saving throw vs. Death Ray or Poison!
20190615_204058.jpg
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
Boyan got a 6

"A most strange rumbling", Boyan thought,turning lazily to look at the source.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,021
Reaction score
19,370
Balin gets a 15
Boyan got a 6

"A most strange rumbling", Boyan thought,turning lazily to look at the source.
Cosar, Pustar, and Seri look on in horror as a series of disguised slots in the stonework on the walls of the passage suddenly open and eject fast-moving darts at their colleagues in the front rank. Fortunately Lürgen and Boyan manage to rush past the danger zone without being hit and it appears there are no additional darts, at least at this juncture; unfortunately Balin is hit in the neck by a dart and falls to the ground with a huge red welt showing where the dart is still embedded in his flesh. You fear the dart may have been poisoned as Balin's face is starting to look greenish and he begins to vomit all over the stone floor.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
Boyan stops, unsure whether he should be moaning, too.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,021
Reaction score
19,370
Oops...I accidentally flipped my numbers, so here is what really happened...

Cosar, Pustar, and Seri look on in horror as a series of disguised slots in the stonework on the walls of the passage suddenly open and eject fast-moving darts at their colleagues in the front rank. Fortunately Balin manages to rush past the danger zone without being hit and it appears there are no additional darts, at least at this juncture; unfortunately Bayon and Lürgen are hit in the neck and groin, respectively, by darts. Bayon falls to the ground with a huge red welt showing where the dart is still embedded in his flesh. Lürgen jams his hand down his trousers and passes out from the pain. You fear the darts may have been poisoned as Boyan's face is starting to look greenish and he begins to vomit all over the stone floor. Lürgen, lying face-down in his own vomit, begins to choke.
 
Last edited:

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
974
Pustar quickly steps forward and, kneeling over Boyan, attempts to carefully pull the dart out of his neck. He glances back at Cosar and Seri,

"Perhaps one of you could attend to the gnome's groin?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
2,460
"Priest!" Cosar says nervously glancing back at the door. "Can you heal them?"
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
974
Pustar clears out the vomit from Boyan's mouth, ensuring that his air passage isn't blocked.

"I suggest you do the same for the gnome," he says to Seri, "He appears to be choking..."

Pustar then takes out his water skin and pours a generous amount of water onto Boyan's wound, trying to wash out some of the poison. Then he takes out his large sack and starts tearing it into strips to use as bandages. He soaks one of these in water and starts to properly clean Boyan's wound. He also hands one (also soaked in water) to Seri.
 
Last edited:

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
1,750
Seri tries to mirror Pustar’s actions as she follows his instructions. It reminds her of caring for her sick siblings, albeit in a very different setting.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,021
Reaction score
19,370
Lürgen's eyelids flutter and he grasps his poisoned groin and thrusts his pelvis wildly, groaning "Aaaaaagh!" Perhaps due to the size differential between man and gnome that Bayon was not as adversely affected by the poison, or perhaps receiving aid almost immediately made the difference; either way Bayon is not as bad off as it first appeared. He feels weakened but mobile. Lürgen, on the other hand, is now catatonic, though breathing.

Meanwhile from the other side of the door you all hear the loud cracking and rumbling sound of shelves being smashed to pieces or knocked over. Just about the time you finish administering first aid to Bayon and Lürgen, you hear a pounding on the far side of the door. Hopefully Cosar's spell will last long enough for you to escape...:skeleton:

Bayon is at 1 hit point until he receives rest or medical or magical healing.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
2,460
Cosar tries to drag Lürgen with him.

"Let's get going!"

Assuming the others comply (given the marching order) he will continue down the passageway.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
"You're getting it wrong. We should take his jewels and diamonds first", Boyan says, cleaning the gnome's pockets. "Just for keepsafe, of course. Imagine if he died and we had to let his body behind!", he adds.
"Now let's split!"
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
1,750
Seri nods and follows Cosar.

Feeling too puny to pull anyone, instead she draws her bow, keeping an eye on their pursuers...
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
974
"You're welcome," says Pustar with a roll of his eyes, as he watches Boyan loot the unconscious gnome. He starts off down the corridor after Cosar.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
Once Boyan is done, he lifts Lurgen on his shoulder, and carries him away.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,021
Reaction score
19,370
Cosar tries to drag Lürgen with him.

"Let's get going!"

Assuming the others comply (given the marching order) he will continue down the passageway.
"You're getting it wrong. We should take his jewels and diamonds first", Boyan says, cleaning the gnome's pockets. "Just for keepsafe, of course. Imagine if he died and we had to let his body behind!", he adds.

"Now let's split!"
Seri nods and follows Cosar.

Feeling too puny to pull anyone, instead she draws her bow, keeping an eye on their pursuers...
"You're welcome," says Pustar with a roll of his eyes, as he watches Boyan loot the unconscious gnome. He starts off down the corridor after Cosar.
Once Boyan is done, he lifts Lurgen on his shoulder, and carries him away.
The kindly wizard begins to drag his catatonic gnome colleague only to be stopped by Boyan, who rifles through Lürgen's pockets and pouches to take anything of value or interest, much to the distaste of the cleric. Meanwhile, the hobbit readies her bow and follows with an eye on defense against possible pursuit. Boyan lifts the gnome, much lighter now that his treasure has been "entrusted to" the warrior for "safekeeping," and the party proceeds down the passageway only to find it bends to the right around a soft curve only to suddenly terminate in a dead end. The ceiling is about fifteen feet high here and the corridor has widened to about twelve feet, but there is no obvious entry or exit. The walls are damp and covered in mold and there is a soft trickle of water dripping from the top of the end wall and collecting in a small pool at its base. A long-dead torch is mounted in a sconce on either side of the corridor's end.
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
974
Pustar, completely paranoid by this point, eyes the water dripping down the wall.

"I fear this may be another trap," he says, "We should take care lest we end up drowned like rats."

(Should anyone else in the party decide to do anything rash Pustar is ready to run back up the corridor a ways :smile:)
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
1,750
“Reminds me of the bottom of the well my brother fell into when we were kids” Seri shudders. “He jumped in, not knowing it was dry...” she stares at the floor, as if seeing something grim laying there.

“Maybe it’s magic? Maybe if we light the torches, a door will appear?” Seri thinks back on the fairy tales told by her gramma.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,529
Reaction score
5,870
Balin searches for secret doors.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,021
Reaction score
19,370
Balin searches for secret doors.
Balin feels a small nodule, barely perceptible to him and likely imperceptible to anyone not a dwarf, on the right-side wall below the sconce. It feels as though it could be depressed. It's purpose cannot be determined, but after noting the nodule Balin believes he sees an all-but-invisible seam at the corner where the wall meet the end of the corridor, which might conceal a hinge. If so, he is impressed by the handiwork as it rivals that of his own people in cleverness and ingenuity.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
Boyan poses the gnome down, and looks where the dripping water is going. "If it has been dripping for a while, why isn't there more water", he mumbles.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,021
Reaction score
19,370
Boyan poses the gnome down, and looks where the dripping water is going. "If it has been dripping for a while, why isn't there more water", he mumbles.
The water seems to collect at the base of the wall, but doesn't seem to get any deeper regardless of how many drops trickle into the pool.
Balin presses a module on the wall....
With a great groaning, creaking sound that reverberates down the corridor, the solid stone wall before you turns slowly, very slowly outward on a hidden hinge, revealing a disguised exit. The outdoor sunshine filtering through the opening temporarily blinds you as you have become accustomed to the underground darkness for so long. Outside the door, you see there is a narrow ledge, perhaps five feet wide, protruding from the side of the mountain that rises high above you and continues far below as a nearly sheer drop. Water runs off from the pool in the passageway down the edge of the ledge, trickling over the sheer face. Far below lies a wide, fast-flowing river with telltale white rapids indicating rocks below the surface. Directly before you is a slender rope-and-plank bridge that crosses the chasm to a clifftop on the other side of the river. The rope bridge, which spans approximately one hundred yards, looks to be in poor condition, likely unused and not maintained for centuries. What lies on the other side, you have no way of knowing, but you know for certain that Cosar's spell will not hold the door behind you for very much longer; already you hear gnolls whooping and howling as the magic seems to weaken before their brute onslaught.
d9aeddd5adde16f5ea1a098d5f8de518--rope-bridge-hanging-bridge.jpg
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,529
Reaction score
5,870
"Hurry outside while I search for a way to close it behind us!" Balin says.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
2,460
Cosar has a quick study of the bridge to gauge how safe carrying Lürgen across with him would be.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
Boyan lifts the gnome again, like a sack of potatoes, and strolls forward.
"I wouldn't mind someone helping me to carry the gnome over the bridge", he mutters.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
2,460
Boyan lifts the gnome again, like a sack of potatoes, and strolls forward.
"I wouldn't mind someone helping me to carry the gnome over the bridge", he mutters.
Cosar helps Boyan with the gnome, still studying the bridge.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,021
Reaction score
19,370
"Hurry outside while I search for a way to close it behind us!" Balin says.
There are no obvious nodules or other means of closure, but there are ancient unintelligible glyphs carved in the stone above the door. However, it soon becomes a moot point as the door automatically begins to grind closed behind you.
Cosar has a quick study of the bridge to gauge how safe carrying Lürgen across with him would be.
The bridge looks extremely rickety and it is swaying dangerously in the wind. About midway across the span of the bridge it glistens white with guano, but you can't tell if it's dried and crusty or fresh and slippery. You don't imagine carrying a gnome would make your crossing any easier.
Boyan lifts the gnome again, like a sack of potatoes, and strolls forward.
"I wouldn't mind someone helping me to carry the gnome over the bridge", he mutters.
Cosar helps Boyan with the gnome, still studying the bridge.
The weight of Boyan and Cosar, plus their gnomish burden, makes the bridge undulate to stomach-churning effect. The further they walk from the ledge, the worse it gets and the harder and colder the wind seems to blow. The bridge is in terrible disrepair with rotten planks and frayed ropes.

Anyone attempting to cross the bridge needs to roll under Dexterity -2 to avoid feet slipping between the planks. If you fail your Dexterity check, you get a second check at Dexterity -3 to try to arrest your fall by grabbing a rope or a plank. However, if anyone falls and grabs a rope or plank, it causes additional shaking and oscillation of the bridge, which means everyone still standing must make his checks all over again! :evil:
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
2,460
Cosar finds the swaying too much and slips between the planks. Time seems to stop. Almost on instinct he reaches out and grabs a plank.

OOC: Failed the first roll and got the second. Sorry everybody else!
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,529
Reaction score
5,870
Balin follows Cosar. The swaying catches him off guard causing him to fall to the right. At the last second he grabs some of the dangling rope.

"Almost lost this shiny jeweled dagger I didn't dare show Lurgen " he says with a chuckle




Then the rope breaks..

(D20=16 vs Dex 12, 2nd D20 = 13)
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
974
Pustar makes the sign of Theona and steps out onto the bridge. As he tries to edge his way across he nods sympathetically at Cosar.

"Blessings of the Wise Mother be upon you," He says without stopping.

(Rolled a 10, which means I made the first roll.)
 
Last edited:

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
3,345
"No! Balin!", Boyan says, exhasperatedly, as he steps on a slippery surface, and goes over the ropes.
"You still owed meee 5 coppers...", he adds, releasing the gnome to grab at a plank.

Dex 10, rolled 16, 11. Fare thee well, Boyan. I doubt you're likely to not lose your single HP!
I guess it's time for his post-mortem poem?

Cattle dies, gnomes die, and elves die.
Sometimes even good people bite the dust!
There's but two one thing that never dies:

The gold-induced, conquering, adventurous lust!

I hereby demand the official DM's permission to have him reciting it as he plunges down:evil:!
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,021
Reaction score
19,370
Once we see how Seri fares, I'll update the results. For those who fell, I have to roll to see if you hit the aforementioned rocks or luck out and splash down in the water. And then roll for damage depending on the outcome of those rolls. :dice:
 
Top