OD&D in-character thread

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,021
Reaction score
5,069

"I almost felt bad for that deal. Fortunately I'm working with idiots." Waylon muses in Elvish.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
1,842
Pustar looks sheepishly around the crowd. When he spots Cosar and Seri he shrugs and mouths the word "sorry".
Cosar just gestures to indicate it doesn't matter.

"If we're their heroes now they'll hardly harm us" he thinks to himself and settles in to eat.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,591
Sanfratelli claps his hands again to summon underlings, to whom he gives a rapid series of commands. He then turns to you to explain, "I have told them to prepare the finest accommodations so you will have plenty of rest before your expedition tomorrow!"
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
421
Reaction score
697
Pustar is happy to call it a night and head for the accommodation. He still doesn't quite trust the elves, however (WIS 17), and makes a point not to use the minibar.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
Cacoy joins the ballad of Isabelle the trollop, and sings with the rest.
Then he realizes they've just been conscripted, and gives Pustar a mean look. But then he just shrugs, and follows the small woman's example, feeding himself from the rich assortment.
"Well, friends...eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die", he tells the rest of the party.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,021
Reaction score
5,069
Waylon looks at Cacoy "Agreed. Based on what I've seen so far your use of "may" was a generous probability statement."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
"I try to be generous...when people don't try to get on my nerves", Cacoy smiles all friendly-like.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
1,842
Cosar goes to get some sleep, eager to restore his magics.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
Unburdened by occult reasons, Cacoy enjoys life, and even tries to catch the eye of an Elven maiden or two. Though of course, he accepts any eventual refusals graciously.
The important part, as far as he's concerned, is to not mistake a male elf for a maiden (or any kind of woman, for that matter).
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,591
Pustar is happy to call it a night and head for the accommodation. He still doesn't quite trust the elves, however (WIS 17), and makes a point not to use the minibar.
Cosar goes to get some sleep, eager to restore his magics.
Cosar and Pustar are shown to a small wooden hut with a thatched roof. There is a small bed of hay and blankets along each of the four walls. At the center of the room is a wood-burning stove, about which their elf host remarks, "It shouldn't get that cold this time of year, but there is kindling in yon corner if you need it."
Unburdened by occult reasons, Cacoy enjoys life, and even tries to catch the eye of an Elven maiden or two. Though of course, he accepts any eventual refusals graciously.
The important part, as far as he's concerned, is to not mistake a male elf for a maiden (or any kind of woman, for that matter).
Sanfratelli notes your interest and points at a sloe-eyed maiden with an ample bosom. "Calogera is a real ka pilau maka," he says with a wink. "She'll ask for a gold piece but will settle for half."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
Cacoy frowns.
"Money is not a problem, but my padre said once that if ya need to pay a girl, you suck...", he muses. "But then again, we have just met...ah! It's complicated!"
What to choose? A father's advice, or an ample blossom?
For the moment, at least, he's not paying the girl any more attention than any other that might have a desire to dance. The night is still young!

OOC: And odds are good he'd go to his bed before deciding to pay her.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
1,842
Cosar and Pustar are shown to a small wooden hut with a thatched roof. There is a small bed of hay and blankets along each of the four walls. At the center of the room is a wood-burning stove, about which their elf host remarks, "It shouldn't get that cold this time of year, but there is kindling in yon corner if you need it."
"Thanks Master Elf" Cosar says with a small bow.

"Right priest I'm off for a nap. When you're beseeching your god in the morning with your prayers or sacrifices or whatever either do it quietly or outside"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,591
Cacoy frowns.
"Money is not a problem, but my padre said once that if ya need to pay a girl, you suck...", he muses. "But then again, we have just met...ah! It's complicated!"
What to choose? A father's advice, or an ample blossom?
For the moment, at least, he's not paying the girl any more attention than any other that might have a desire to dance. The night is still young!

OOC: And odds are good he'd go to his bed before deciding to pay her.
The other elves seem to take their cues from the chief, Sanfratelli, who subtly gestures a signal. You get the impression that there is no play without pay in the village.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
The other elves seem to take their cues from the chief, Sanfratelli, who subtly gestures a signal. You get the impression that there is no play without pay in the village.
Not liking when his choices are steered, especially steered towards someone described as pilau - a word Cacoy has heard in his city, and while its meaning seems highly situational, it's never positive - he eats, drinks, and dances to his heart content...before going to bed. With only his spear to keep him company.
But he's starting to come to the realization that he's not all that fond of long-eared individuals. Unless they're four-legged, have fur, and like carrots, maybe.
In which case, he likes them boiled and with mashed potatoes.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,591
Are Seri and Waylon dong anything else before they retire? If not, I'll fast forward to morning.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,021
Reaction score
5,069
Waylon steers clear from the various offerings and hits the hay.
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
1,523
Seri eats more than drinks and eventually settles into bed. She does not fool around because Hobbits breed like rabbits and she doesn’t want to play the odds.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,591
All of you dream of green-skinned pig-nosed creatures sneaking through the dark of night and creeping between the trees to impale your friends and loved ones on rusty spears and swords, then each of you see the others forced to kneel before a large, ugly chieftain who one by one decapitates them and affixes the severed heads to shafts that are jammed into the ground near a dirt pathway to act as warnings to anyone daring to enter a tall black tower.

You awaken to Sanfratelli and a handful of elves nudging you. The sun is shining through the hut's windows. "We have prepared provisions for your journey!" Each of you is handed a small bundle containing a corked gourd, dried fruit, cheese, bread, nuts, and sliced pork. "Time is wasting!"
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
421
Reaction score
697
Pustar, having hoped for pleasant dreams of nubile Elf maidens, awakens in an unsettled mood. He sighs resignedly and gets up to go look for the others.

What is it about this tower that they're not telling us? he wonders to himself...
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
1,523
Seri rubs her eyes, groggily, and begins to braid her hair. Within each strand, she whispers the names of her siblings, parents and granparents.

Time to go to work. Gotta get some gold, even if it kills me. Which it will.

As she counts her arrows and checks her bowstring, she regrets not getting laid last night...

Regardless, she sets out to find the others as soon as she’s ready.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
1,842
Cosar bolts up as he wakes and gets out of bed. He pushes past the other elves to head over to Sanfratelli immediately, the dream still fresh in his head.

"Right, full story on this tower. What exactly is going on there, who occupies it and how many other groups of saps have you sent on their merry way?"
 
Last edited:

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
Cosar bolts up as he wakes and gets out of bed. He pushes past the other elves to head over to Sanfratelli immediately, the dream still fresh in his head.

"Right, full story on this tower. What exactly is going on there, who occupies it and how many other groups of saps have you sent on their merry way?"
"Indeed. Though the last question is only important if we could find their remains".
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,591
Cosar bolts up as he wakes and gets out of bed. He pushes past the other elves to head over to Sanfratelli immediately, the dream still fresh in his head.

"Right, full story on this tower. What exactly is going on there, who occupies it and how many other groups of saps have you sent on their merry way?"
"Indeed. Though the last question is only important if we could find their remains".
"I'm shocked and appalled at the implication of your question!" replies Sanfratelli. "We show you such hospitality and you treat us this way? I should have known better than to welcome humans and hobbits to our village." To Waylon: "It makes me sad that you, a fellow elf, associate with suspicious minds such as these!" He unfurls a scroll and adds, "I suppose you don't want the map to the tower then?"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,021
Reaction score
5,069
"I just met these fools! Besides we negotiated to rip them off so don't get your knickers in a twist if you do your job badly. " Waylon scolds the chief in Elvish before adding "How much for the map?"
 
Last edited:

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,591
"I just met these fools! Besides we negotiated to rip them off so don't get your knickers in a twist if you do your job badly. " Waylon scolds the chief in Elvish before adding "How much for the map?"
"Badly? But we obtained four gold pieces from the warrior, five from the hobbit, four from the priest, and thirty-eight from the wizard while they slept! Your share is 5 gold and 1 silver!" Sanfratelli replies as he surreptitiously slips the coins into your hand.
"I offer this map of my own volition, with no strings attached! Such suspicion even from my own kind! It is shameful!" says Sanfratelli.
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
1,523
Seri yawns.

“Life is full of traps. But they could’ve killed us in our sleep.” She says with a sardonic grin. “Unless we are meant to be sacrifices to some elvish god...”
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
"Badly? But we obtained four gold pieces from the warrior, five from the hobbit, four from the priest, and thirty-eight from the wizard while they slept! Your share is 5 gold and 1 silver!" Sanfratelli replies as he surreptitiously slips the coins into your hand.
"I offer this map of my own volition, with no strings attached! Such suspicion even from my own kind! It is shameful!" says Sanfratelli.
"Life is tough, brutish and short. Only makes sense to be wary", Cacoy answers nonchalantly, swiping the map from the elf's hand.
"What else can you tell us about the place? Are there orkish warriors?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
1,842
"I'm shocked and appalled at the implication of your question!" replies Sanfratelli. "We show you such hospitality and you treat us this way? I should have known better than to welcome humans and hobbits to our village."
Cosar exhales to calm himself.

"Apologies, you have been a gracious host. We have been through much hardship lately and it has left me somewhat world weary. We will go to the tower for this adventuring life is the one we have chosen. However we would be grateful for anything you may know of the tower"
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
421
Reaction score
697
"Sarbaturi graciously agreed to provide us with a couple of his men to act as guides," says Pustar, addressing the Chief.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,591
"Life is tough, brutish and short. Only makes sense to be wary", Cacoy answers nonchalantly, swiping the map from the elf's hand.
"What else can you tell us about the place? Are there orkish warriors?"
"Many are the dangers!" says Sanfratelli. "Great are the rewards!"
Forest map.jpg
Cosar exhales to calm himself.

"Apologies, you have been a gracious host. We have been through much hardship lately and it has left me somewhat world weary. We will go to the tower for this adventuring life is the one we have chosen. However we would be grateful for anything you may know of the tower"
"Sarbaturi is a great ranger and knows the forest well. He can guide you."
"Sarbaturi graciously agreed to provide us with a couple of his men to act as guides," says Pustar, addressing the Chief.
Sarbaturi appears in the hut and introduces a muscular elf woman armed with a sword and bow. He carries the same weapons. "And so my pledge I do keep!" laughs Sarbaturi. "This is Crocefissa. We shall guide you as far as the Tower of Zaporizhio!"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,591
"Be as specific and as you can regarding the former, please!"
"Head not south, for it is said trollish creatures lurking amongst the caves there," says Sanfratelli. "Neither shall you eat of the giant fungi to the east, for it is said it angers the sprites and brownies who live there! Be wary also of the giant venomous spiders who weave their sticky webs amongst the trees in the heart of the forest! Travel not north for marauding bands of orcs seek to waylay travelers there! Nor shall you stray from the path, for it is spoken that the elder trees are quick to anger and quicker to seek vengeance against those who trespass! Aye, the entire forest is ensorcelled by the lingering magicks of Zaporizhio! Trust not any strangers you may meet for it is all but certain they mean to do evil unto you!"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,021
Reaction score
5,069
"Spider webs? Hmm. We need some torches and more oil just as a precaution. Good for Trolls too." Waylon says to the chief before they head out.
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
421
Reaction score
697
Pustar smiles goofily at Crocefissa and offers her a traditional sign of greeting...



I wonder where I got this spear? he thinks to himself. Maybe I'm just pleased to see her.
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
1,523
"Giant spiders, eh? Any tips on avoiding them?" Seri pipes up. She's bite-sized for a giant spider and is already fearful.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,591
"Spider webs? Hmm. We need some torches and more oil just as a precaution. Good for Trolls too." Waylon says to the chief before they head out.
"Certainly!" agrees Sanfratelli. He quickly converses with a young elf, who rushes to fetch a half dozen torches and two gourds filled with oil.
Pustar smiles goofily at Crocefissa and offers her a traditional sign of greeting...

"Sarbaturi," says Crocefissa, "this one appears to be addlepated and possibly leprous. Is it wise that we should allow it to travel with us? Mercy would dictate we put it to a quick and painless death."
50720f1e4e771fe3b580fb16e245d5e4.jpg
"These humans have different ways, Crocefissa," replies Sarbaturi. "We will allow it to continue its pitiful existence. Perhaps beneath its wretched countenance it has hidden talents."
il_794xN_1623089299_rsq2.jpg

"Giant spiders, eh? Any tips on avoiding them?" Seri pipes up. She's bite-sized for a giant spider and is already fearful.
"Slay a deer or other creature and leave it as a decoy, then run!" replies Crocefissa, looking at Pustar as though he is the "other creature."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
1,842
Sarbaturi appears in the hut and introduces a muscular elf woman armed with a sword and bow. He carries the same weapons. "And so my pledge I do keep!" laughs Sarbaturi. "This is Crocefissa. We shall guide you as far as the Tower of Zaporizhio!"
"Greetings to you both. From your elder's description it seems we can't step off the path in any manner"

He has a look at the map.

"What's the Temple of Baal to the South of us? A human cult or one of yours?"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,591
"Greetings to you both. From your elder's description it seems we can't step off the path in any manner"

He has a look at the map.

"What's the Temple of Baal to the South of us? A human cult or one of yours?"
"Vile humans who freely interbreed with orc scum and worship the demon lord Baal," says Sarbaturi. "They practice vivisection on those they take captive. Better to die in combat with them than to be taken prisoner. They will eat your heart while it still beats."
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
421
Reaction score
697
"Sarbaturi," says Crocefissa, "this one appears to be addlepated and possibly leprous. Is it wise that we should allow it to travel with us? Mercy would dictate we put it to a quick and painless death."
"Slay a deer or other creature and leave it as a decoy, then run!" replies Crocefissa, looking at Pustar as though he is the "other creature."
She seems nice, thinks Pustar to himself.
 
Top