OD&D in-character thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Did that kill Cacoy? :brokenheart:

Chuck 1d6: on a roll of 1, 3, or 5 you fall on the stirge. :dice:

Then chuck 3d6 in order 6 times and let us know who your next character is!

Cacoy only had 4 or 5 HP, I think the former.
But it's a 1! Take that, you fiend!

Seri gasps and, from her kneeling position near the hollow log, tries to take another shot at any Stirges anywhere near Cacoy.

"stay away from 'im you pieces of shit!"

[misses again with a total of 9 http://orokos.com/roll/746915 ]

Cacoy only had 4 or 5 HP, I think the former.
But it's a 1! Take that, you fiend!
I'll tally that up after we get dokel dokel, Séadna Séadna, and Bunch Bunch's actions for the next round. Also, somebody roll initiative for your side.
Seri gasps and, from her kneeling position near the hollow log, tries to take another shot at any Stirges anywhere near Cacoy.

I'll update once we have initiative and everyone else's actions.
Dumarest left me a hidey hole. Maybe we are in a T&T game.....
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Wanna go in and find out? :devil:

"How disappointing. Maybe the next set of adventurers I meet will be more competent combatants." Waylon whispers watching the scene unfold.

Initiative roll (can't recall if it's d20 or d6)
D20=3
D6=5

I'm feeling like I missed a round somewhere? Or maybe it's me getting confused. Pustar is still doing the thing with his mace.

Your side won initiative again.
I'm feeling like I missed a round somewhere? Or maybe it's me getting confused. Pustar is still doing the thing with his mace.
I went ahead and rolled for Pustar: Pustar swings his mace again, this time smacking the stirge broadside, crushing the flying creature and batting it off into the woods where it will surely die.

Cacoy, stricken in the last round of battle, topples helplessly onto the stirge that killed him, evening the score.

Seri fires an arrow at the stirge but misses. You all hear a sickening THUNK! sound when her arrow instead lodges itself in Cacoy's buttocks. Fortunately it appears Cacoy was already dead before the arrow struck.

The orcs manage to kill four more stirges that buzz about the combatants. Having suffered heavy losses to the swarm, the stirges break off their attack and flit away back into the treetops to lick their wounds, leaving their injured on the trail and amongst the bushes and forest floor, flopping about and unable to fly.

Cosar heads back to see the damage, walking past Cacoy's corpse.

"Well that wasn't the best turn of events. Elves..." he says addressing Sarbaturi and Crocefissa "...is there anywhere we can camp? I think it best not to press on to the Ogre's lair straight away"

Dumarest Dumarest - nice rolling :happy: Pustar lives! Unbelievable :tongue:

Pustar, exhilarated to still be breathing, mashes one of the grounded stirges into grisly pulp with his mace. He grins at a nearby orc,

"We may neither of us be much to look at my friend but we are both fierce in heart!"

Cosar heads back to see the damage, walking past Cacoy's corpse.

"Well that wasn't the best turn of events. Elves..." he says addressing Sarbaturi and Crocefissa "...is there anywhere we can camp? I think it best not to press on to the Ogre's lair straight away"
"There are some deep burrows in the woods not far from here," says Crocefissa. "They are large enough for men and elves."

"There is no knowing what lurks within," Sarbaturi adds. "I think you have all gone mad. We should continue to the Tower of Zaporizhio without delay."

"The elf is afraid," laughs Abnegar as he wipes blood from his sword, using Cacoy's clothing as a rag.

Dumarest Dumarest - nice rolling :happy: Pustar lives! Unbelievable :tongue:

Pustar, exhilarated to still be breathing, mashes one of the grounded stirges into grisly pulp with his mace. He grins at a nearby orc,

"We may neither of us be much to look at my friend but we are both fierce in heart!"
The orc grins, baring his oversized canines, and pounds his chest, declaring, "We are strong! The weak die and the strong live to fight again!"

Prodding the dead Cacoy with his spear, a second orc suggests, "Let us carry this one with us to roast over a spit later! He seems to have enough meat to feed us all!"

Waylon returns saying"Well done. You defeated the mosquito pests. I was looking for an appropriate ranged weapon but all I found was a hole or Warren back here."

Seri coughs awkwardly, and gets up.

"Poor chap", she says, gesturing to Cacoy's remains. "Well maybe my stray arrow was a gift of the gods; it might've put him out of his misery. That's not a way to go."

Her stomach grumbles when the orcs talk about eating. She looks around for any dead orcs...

As the conversation is going, you hear the words of a song. A song that many of you know...

"...on her knees on the street,
And whenever you see her, she's always in heat.
She'll do it for a golden crown, take less or take more,
Isabelle the trollop, the lumberjack's whore.

Her funeral procession was twenty leagues long,
With a chorus of lumberjacks singing this song;
'Here lies a young maiden who'll fuck us no more,
Isabelle the trollop, the lumberjack's whore!'"

And with that, a dwarf in chain armor appears on the scene. Stockily built with the handles of a sword and a main-gauche protruding from his belt, he stops his singing upon seeing you. Though he obviously saw Pustar first:
"Well-met, Priest...wait, there are orcs and elves here? In the same place? Why aren't they fighting? Or did you stop to listen to my song?"

Last edited:
"Well-met, Priest...wait, there are orcs and elves here? In the same place? Why aren't they fighting? Or did you stop to listen to my song?"

"May the blessings of Theona be upon you master dwarf. We here are united in a single cause to rid this forest of a great evil. Why not join with us and perhaps one day your song will be of our brave deeds!"

"What bard could say no to such an offer? My name be Lisgo Lancashire, First Bard of the Dwarven Halls. Who might your friends be, and what evil are we going to be fighting? Hopefully the rich kind!?"

"What bard could say no to such an offer? My name be Lisgo Lancashire, First Bard of the Dwarven Halls. Who might your friends be, and what evil are we going to be fighting? Hopefully the rich kind!?"

"Er, well," replies Pustar, "That's where it all starts to get a little complicated. There's an evil wizard's tower, which may or may not have a treasure vault. But before we can attend to that there's an ogre and some evil cultists we need to deal with. I cannot say for sure what wealth the ogre may have accumulated. Anyway, the orcs want rid of the ogre and the elves want to end the evil wizard's curse upon the forest so in the interest of cooperation here we all are."

Seri coughs awkwardly, and gets up.

"Poor chap", she says, gesturing to Cacoy's remains. "Well maybe my stray arrow was a gift of the gods; it might've put him out of his misery. That's not a way to go."

Her stomach grumbles when the orcs talk about eating. She looks around for any dead orcs...
There are four dead orcs lying on the ground. Their fellow orcs are removing any valuables, trinkets, and baubles from the bodies.

Sarbaturi and Crocefissa emerge from the bushes unharmed and covered in a deep purple stain, presumably the juice of sickleberries.

"Once again the Law of Conservation of Adventures has been observed! I remain convinced that in my lifetime we will greatly expand our knowledge of the mutliverse through rigorous application of magic." Waylon says greeting the newcomer.

Seri nods at the new fellow little person. She does the secret handsign known by all those of shorter stature.

“Represent!”

Finally someone she can look eye to eye (mostly; dwarfs are typically taller, brawnier and more... attractive than hobbit males).

Seri stares off into space.

Cosar eyes the dwarf, before walking over and offering his hand in friendship.

"If you wish to follow us that is no issue, but know where we go is dangerous. Though perhaps you know that better than we do. Been through these forests before friend? Know anything about this tower or ogre?"

"Oh, and I see you have with you a hobbit with a bow", Lisgo grins before he shakes Cosar's hand.

"Never been through this place before. I just had to leave my previous place due to a conflict with critics. Hah! Like they know anything of milk-curdling songs! Now, if I was to sing a true Dwarven battle-song, and not a bardic ballad, then yes. But as it stands, I was unfairly accused of defending my art. Or maybe they objected to me defending it in the traditional manner, as depicted in the battlesongs? I admit their arguments were kinda unclear over the roaring and the shouting "Go get him!"...but either way, I had to leave, even if Right was on my side - because alas, Numbers were not... Heh. An ogre, you say? Very well. I have no sympathy for ogres, and if my songs help the orcs to assault one of those, it would be a pleasure!"

Last edited:
Cosar nods at the dwarf's story. "Another weirdo, but a pleasant one" he thinks to himself.

"Right let's rest up in those burrows you mentioned Crocefissa. I want to restore my magics before we take on this ogre"

"Yes, let's get going. There are treasures to find and an ogre to kill."

Preferably just the former, thought Seri. It would take a lot of orc corpses and arrows to fell a giant fat beast ogre-man.

Have you chosen a course of action? I'm about to roll for wandering monsters again... :dice: :devil:

Waylon says "A rest and a feast before tackling the Ogre I say. Let's check a burrow and see if it works as a place to party."

Cosar nods to Waylon and presses on toward the burrows if Crocefissa will guide them.

Waylon sees Cosar head towards Crocefissa and says "It's back this way. I passed one when I hung back as a reserve earlier."

As Waylon leads you down the path you notice dark, tangled vines and pretty primroses blooming. Near the base of a large tree, obscured somewhat by some brush, you see a burrow with a large opening perhaps five feet in height and eight feet across. Wet moss covers a few large stones and grows on a fallen log over the top of the burrow. Dead leaves and twigs are scattered all about. Those of you with infravision cannot see further than ten feet inside the dark burrow due to a curve.
burrow.jpg

Lisgo smells the air.
"I can feel you found it while hanging in reserve", he confirms. "Did you explore it?"

Lisgo smells the air.
"I can feel you found it while hanging in reserve", he confirms. "Did you explore it?"
"Hardly any time to. You all were quite efficient in dispatching the pests. I didn't have time to explore"

"Okay, we're a large group that's well armed and we have magic. We take turns sleeping with one or two on watch nobody will lose much sleep. Provided that burrow doesn't house a dragon we should be okay"

"Okay, we're a large group that's well armed and we have magic. We take turns sleeping with one or two on watch nobody will lose much sleep. Provided that burrow doesn't house a dragon we should be okay"
"OK. I'll take the place near the exit, then...I'm no stinkin' magic-user, so I'll leave the burrow-dwellers to those that are!"

Lisgo smells the air.
The air outside is fresh, but closer you get to the burrow entrance the more fetid it smells, as of rotting vegetation or molding wood.

Who is entering first, and what will be your marching order? State any particular precautions or actions you intend.

Also, it sounds like Lisgo is standing guard at the exit, is that correct? If so, is anyone staying with him?

Waylon sees no reason to trailblaze so to speak and hangs back for the time being scanning for threats from the woods

Pustar sniffs the air worriedly. He isn't convinced that this is a good idea at all and hangs back, mace and shield at the ready. He nods at one of the orcs,

"Hey brave fellow you look to have a good nose for trouble, what do you make of the stink of this hole?"

Seri pipes up at this idea (no way in the 9 Hells will she go in first).

"I'll cover you with my bow, mighty orc! Not that you'll need any help!"

[OOC - she will either stick with any ranged attackers or near the Dwarf, who looks like he can absorb lots of punishment]

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back