OD&D in-character thread

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
The plan was to wait until something appeared before lighting the oil.
In that case you're still standing there watching in the dark, waiting for something to happen...how long do you wait?
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
650
Reaction score
1,173
In that case you're still standing there watching in the dark, waiting for something to happen...how long do you wait?
Maybe half an hour? (Everyone okay with that?) And Lisgo is still checking the exit I believe while the rest of us are waiting.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
"Do orcs have marshmallows? It's a fantastic little Elvish invention where sugar is puffed out by blowing air into it. Add a little Chocolate and a waffer and it makes an excellent fireside treat." Waylon muses while searching for any possible hidden exits.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"Do orcs have marshmallows? It's a fantastic little Elvish invention where sugar is puffed out by blowing air into it. Add a little Chocolate and a waffer and it makes an excellent fireside treat." Waylon muses while searching for any possible hidden exits.
"Bah!" says Abnegar with clear scorn for all things Elvish. "We cut the thumbs off our enemies and eat them with spiced sauces!"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
"Bah!" says Abnegar with clear scorn for all things Elvish. "We cut the thumbs off our enemies and eat them with spiced sauces!"
"Well that's certainly a new one for me. I tend to have more rivals and competitors than true enemies so far less thumb cutting than I suspect you're used to. I must admit I like these little culture exchanges"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
Cosar waits for the half hour, hoping he may have found a safe place to lie down.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
3,835
The plan was to wait until something appeared before lighting the oil.
I confirm.
Sorry, didn't notice there's another page.
"Hey guys! One of you - you, Rast, you have longer legs than me - go and call the others. Tell them the spiders are behind us! Return with a torch!"
He pulls his sword and sheathes his dagger, but then puts the sword in his left hand. Instead, he pulls another flask of oil and pours it at the entrance
"And we two will stay here and stop them if they try to attack our comrades! Can you light this oil aflame?"
Granted, said "comrades" contain elveskin and orckin...but at least those are dwarvenoids.
 
Last edited:

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"Hey guys! One of you - you, Rast, you have longer legs than me - go and call the others. Tell them the spiders are behind us! Return with a torch!"
He pulls his sword and sheathes his dagger, but then puts the sword in his left hand. Instead, he pulls another flask of oil and pours it at the entrance
"And we two will stay here and stop them if they try to attack our comrades! Can you light this oil aflame?"
Granted, said "comrades" contain elveskin and orckin...but at least those are dwarvenoids.
Ghath lights the oil that Lisgo pours at the entrance, which immediately sets ablaze the webbing. The two of you hear enraged hissing from somewhere on the other side, and the sound of numerous legs moving away some distance before stopping.

Only a few minutes have passed while Seri, Cosar, Pustar, and Waylon watch and wait with the remaining orcs, when suddenly Rast, one of orcs that accompanied Lisgo, comes running back down the tunnel toward you, shouting, "Spiders! Huge spiders! They've spun webs at the other end to trap us in the burrow!"
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
3,835
Lisgo grabs his sword and dagger and nods at the orc.
"Let's get ready to break a charging spider. A big stone to hide behind would be perfect. Are spiders tasty?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Calm down Orc! How large? How many? Can we take them with our numbers?"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
Lisgo grabs his sword and dagger and nods at the orc.
"Let's get ready to break a charging spider. A big stone to hide behind would be perfect. Are spiders tasty?"
"You're a madman!" remarks the wide-eyed orc. Turning on his heels, he runs off in the other direction, calling over his shoulder, "Safety in numbers, you fool!"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"Calm down Orc! How large? How many? Can we take them with our numbers?"
"The size of a large hut!" replies the frantic orc, flopsweat dripping from his brow and down his porcine snout. "Many! Too many! We must flee the other way!" He appears to be frightened out of his mind.

"Giant spiders!" you hear murmured amongst the other orcs, all of whom seem disturbed by the prospect.

"Steady!" says Abnegar. "You must understand," he says to Waylon, "we lost an entire scout troop to these fiendish arachnids and what we saw of the drained, half-eaten corpses was not pretty."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
3,835
"You're a madman!" remarks the wide-eyed orc. Turning on his heels, he runs off in the other direction, calling over his shoulder, "Safety in numbers, you fool!"
Lisgo estimates carefully his chances of stopping a flaming, charging spider and chooses to retreat carefully.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
Cosar turns to the orcs, then the others, his face pale with fear.

"Deeper into the caves?"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
Lisgo estimates carefully his chances of stopping a flaming, charging spider and chooses to retreat carefully.
As Lisgo cautiously backs away, there is no sign of pursuit, although he can still hear movement on the far side of the burning webs.
Cosar turns to the orcs, then the others, his face pale with fear.

"Deeper into the caves?"
You smell smoke coming from the other direction where Lisgo went with the two orcs a short while ago, and then the second orc that had accompanied Lisgo comes running toward you.

"The pyromaniacal fool has set a fire in the tunnel!" he breathlessly shouts. "He wants to eat spider!"

Within moments of his bizarre announcement, you hear a faint groaning sound coming from the darkness of the left-side tunnel branch.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
As Lisgo cautiously backs away, there is no sign of pursuit, although he can still hear movement on the far side of the burning webs.
You smell smoke coming from the other direction where Lisgo went with the two orcs a short while ago, and then the second orc that had accompanied Lisgo comes running toward you.

"The pyromaniacal fool has set a fire in the tunnel!" he breathlessly shouts. "He wants to eat spider!"

Within moments of his bizarre announcement, you hear a faint groaning sound coming from the darkness of the left-side tunnel branch.
"Out appears to have the spiders while in it sounds like has the humanoids. I say we try to rescue the poor fool groaning if possible." Waylon says.
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
650
Reaction score
1,173
"Out appears to have the spiders while in it sounds like has the humanoids. I say we try to rescue the poor fool groaning if possible." Waylon says.

Pustar shakes his head in disagreement,

"Hmm it would seem that while we're trying to catch spiders with corpses the spiders are using live bait to lure their flies. By flies meaning us, of course, since it's almost certainly a trap."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Damn it..." Cosar hesitates "...what do you think priest, wait for the fire to go down and run out? Or do we stand our ground here?"
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
650
Reaction score
1,173
"Damn it..." Cosar hesitates "...what do you think priest, wait for the fire to go down and run out? Or do we stand our ground here?"
Pustar looks thoughtfully at Cosar,

"I think that whatever we decide to do we need to stick together. It might be one of our Elven guides who has been captured and is being used to lure the rest of us deeper into danger. If we attempt a rescue we need to be wary of the fact that we will almost certainly be walking into an ambush. I'm not sure how many of these spiders we could hope to stand against. The orcs are already spooked and may choose to run instead of fighting."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
As the party debates its option, Lisgo comes back around the bend in the tunnel, followed by billowing black smoke that wafts up to the ceiling. The groaning from the left tunnel branch ahead of you becomes louder.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Well we're either fucked or cooked from the look of things, left anyone?" Cosar says barely controlling his fear and heading down the left passage.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
"Left sounds fantastic!" Says Waylon with odd confidence.
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,353
Reaction score
2,072
Seri grimaces and follows her companions down the left tunnel. Her bow is in her hands, although she’s unsure what good it will do in this cramped, dark place.
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
650
Reaction score
1,173
Pustar follows but at the rear, sling at the ready. He peers intently into every dark crevice and shadow as he cautiously moves forward.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
3,835
"Spiders behind us. You should have come so we could shoot at the shadows and sounds behind the flames", Lisgo says. "I put some oil on their webbings, and lo and behold! The webbings burn like the flies that make the mistake of falling on an oven!"
He looks wistfully behind himself.
"However, I couldn't really hope to stop a spidey by myself if it tried to charge me after the oil is extinguished, so I had to retreat...I hate the taste of that word, but I'm a bard, someone else needs ta be da hero! But hey! Who's moaning over there like an animal in heat? Is that our missing long-eared comrades and if yes, what are they up to?"
And he leads the row towards the left tunnel.

(Assuming the flames have been extinguished in the posts I don't have access to).
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
Pustar, Seri, Cosar, Lisgo, and Waylon proceed into the left passage, closely followed by Abnegar and the orcs. However, there seem to be fewer orcs with you than before; perhaps some chose to travel down the right passage. Coming to a dark area where the ground is mushy and huge mushrooms sprout all across the floor and from the walls, you find two white, wriggling, groaning, man-sized sacs. Someone--or something--appears to be wrapped in webbing but still alive. The passage is much larger here, perhaps twenty feet across and fifteen feet high, and lit by the eerie green glow of bioluminescent fungus growing from the walls and ceiling.
bio_luminescent_mushrooms_lane_by_sxerosere_dcbs4ve-fullview.jpg
Were it not for your current circumstances, you might feel enchanted by the fairyland-like appearance of this section of the burrow. You also feel a chill draught indicating there is another opening somewhere, from which colder air is entering the burrow. Far behind you, you hear the sound of hissing and the soft patter of numerous legs, but the sound gets closer by the moment.
7969f129-4e22-4192-be40-da8fedc916cf-large.jpg
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
650
Reaction score
1,173
"Did I mention that this was a trap?" enquires Pustar somewhat peevishly as he listens to the hissing and scuttling of the approaching spiders.
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,353
Reaction score
2,072
Seri nocks an arrow and makes a mental prayer to the Goddess of Luck...
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
3,835
"Old webbing on the ceiling. Should we burn that, too? Either way, we should prepare burning oil for the approaching arachnids", Lisgo asks.
Then he pulls his dagger, reversed, and starts tearing the webbing on the closer figure. His other hand is clutching the rapier.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"Old webbing on the ceiling. Should we burn that, too? Either way, we should prepare burning oil for the approaching arachnids", Lisgo asks.
Then he pulls his dagger, reversed, and starts tearing the webbing on the closer figure. His other hand is clutching the rapier.
Lisgo uncovers a gaunt, dirty peasant garbed in tattered rags and a quilted cap with a tear in the top through which you see blood oozing from his scalp.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
Lisgo opens up the other sac as well.
He frees a second peasant, this time an older man wearing threadbare homespun robes. His face is covered in dried blood that cakes his long beard and moustache. Both men are only semiconscious.
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,353
Reaction score
2,072
Seri is actively looking around (just with her eyes) for spider shapes. Her bow is ready, as is her panic...
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Waylon removes another couple flasks of oil from his pack. "I think I'm going to get very adept at using you as a weapon." He says to the oil flasks with a little grin.
"Alright gentlemen any preferences as to where I spread these before lighting them?" He asks the assembled
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"As close to the entryway to this passage as we can, I'll use some of mine as well" Cosar says taking out a flask of oil.

"Dump it, light it and let's run toward that draught..." he looks at the peasants "...I'll carry one, but I see spiders coming and I drop him"
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
3,835
Lisgo nods at the instructions, and inspects the wounds of the other peasant for spider infestation.
 
Top