OD&D in-character thread

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,459
Reaction score
20,430
Seri nocks an arrow and makes a mental prayer to the Goddess of Luck...
Seri is actively looking around (just with her eyes) for spider shapes. Her bow is ready, as is her panic...
Waylon removes another couple flasks of oil from his pack. "I think I'm going to get very adept at using you as a weapon." He says to the oil flasks with a little grin.
"Alright gentlemen any preferences as to where I spread these before lighting them?" He asks the assembled
"As close to the entryway to this passage as we can, I'll use some of mine as well" Cosar says taking out a flask of oil.

"Dump it, light it and let's run toward that draught..." he looks at the peasants "...I'll carry one, but I see spiders coming and I drop him"
Lisgo nods at the instructions, and inspects the wounds of the other peasant for spider infestation.
Pustar gets ready to make a run for it.
Lisgo examines the peasant: he doesn't find any spiders or eggs.

Suddenly you all hear the sound of displaced earth all around, a scuttling sound produced by numerous legs, and the oink-like shrieks of orcs as those standing closest to the right wall of the burrow are ripped into by the barbed fangs of giant spiders emerging from trapdoors camouflaged by soil and plant materials. Almost as quickly as they emerged, the spiders delve back into their holes with their helpless prey.
tumblr_mtoc9jVZHS1rm9sqwo8_400.gif
The remaining orcs, less Abnegar, Ghath, and Rast, panic and break ranks, rushing forward down the dark tunnel as fast as their legs will carry them, heedless of what may lurk further on.

Behind you, eerily lit by the green light of the fungi, you see two man-sized hissing spiders approaching on hairy legs, their many eyes burning red and their sharp-edged chelicerae seeming to drip with anticipatory juices.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,069
Reaction score
3,499
Lisgo examines the peasant: he doesn't find any spiders or eggs.

Suddenly you all hear the sound of displaced earth all around, a scuttling sound produced by numerous legs, and the oink-like shrieks of orcs as those standing closest to the right wall of the burrow are ripped into by the barbed fangs of giant spiders emerging from trapdoors camouflaged by soil and plant materials. Almost as quickly as they emerged, the spiders delve back into their holes with their helpless prey.
The remaining orcs, less Abnegar, Ghath, and Rast, panic and break ranks, rushing forward down the dark tunnel as fast as their legs will carry them, heedless of what may lurk further on.

Behind you, eerily lit by the green light of the fungi, you see two man-sized hissing spiders approaching on hairy legs, their many eyes burning red and their sharp-edged chelicerae seeming to drip with anticipatory juices.
"You're running towards other spiders!", Lisgo shouts at the retreating orcs.
He sizes the approaching spiders and looks at the other humanoids.
"'Tis as good a day to die as any...do you want to die screaming, or charging? Let's charge!"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,902
Reaction score
6,475
Waylon assess his combat abilities, his companions, his orc allies and the various threats before replying "Solid plan! You do that!" Then runs after the orcs.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,069
Reaction score
3,499
Lisgo looks at the remaining three orcs before running the exact same direction that they choose. Towards or away from the enemy.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,459
Reaction score
20,430
"You're running towards other spiders!", Lisgo shouts at the retreating orcs.

He sizes the approaching spiders and looks at the other humanoids.

"'Tis as good a day to die as any...do you want to die screaming, or charging? Let's charge!"
Waylon assess his combat abilities, his companions, his orc allies and the various threats before replying "Solid plan! You do that!" Then runs after the orcs.
Lisgo looks at the remaining three orcs before running the exact same direction that they choose. Towards or away from the enemy.
Cosar decides to run as well.
“Demogorgon’s assholes!” Seri shouts in horror. She dashes after Cosar.
Lisgo, after taking a moment to survey his surroundings, realizes that the orcs are running away from the known spiders and toward an unknown destination in the unexplored area of the burrows. Pustar and Waylon follow the fleeing orcs, then Lisgo runs after them as well, closely followed by Cosar and Seri. Chancing a look back, you see Abnegar pulling up the rear as the two pursuing spiders stop to feast on Ghath and Rast. The last thing you see is razor-like chelicerae ripping limbs from the orcs.

Are you leaving behind the peasants you freed from the webbing?

Rushing into the darkness ahead of you, you soon hear horrifying porcine shrieks in the distance, presumably those of the orcs who ran ahead of you. Then you come to a fork: you can continue in the direction of the screaming orcs or you can take a side passage on the left. Where it goes, you have no way of knowing. You notice that the narrow side passage appears to be too small for any but the smallest giant spider to enter, for you can only traverse it single-file and tall men have to crouch or scrape their heads on the ceiling. Additionally, it has steps leading downward and seems to have a stone floor rather than dirt as the rest of the burrow did. A strange golden light flickers from somewhere far below. You feel you must make a decision quickly as to which way to continue, for you can hear the hideous and disconcerting hissing of spiders not far behind you.
0be2a76daf8b2a4e14e4cd661c4882ea.jpg
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,902
Reaction score
6,475
"I'm going down this skinny passage away from the shrieking and away from the spiders behind us. Abnegar I hope you join me." Waylon says before squeezing down the passage.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,069
Reaction score
3,499
Lisgo follows without a word. When an elf's got a good idea, it's still a good idea!
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,069
Reaction score
3,499
Sorry, @Bunch that's a mistaken reading:grin:!
Lisgo follows without a word. When an elf's got a good idea by accident, it's still a good idea, despite elves having inferior aptitude for the idea-producing processes!
Now that's closer:tongue:!
 

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
1,234
Reaction score
1,854
“It’s like this passage was made for me!” Seri squeaks, then dives in. Hopefully not down the throat of something worse than giant spiders...
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,167
Reaction score
2,852
Cosar watches the others head into the passage, the sweat pouring off his forehead, then he follows after.

"I just wanted to sleep" he pleads to some god out there.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,459
Reaction score
20,430
As you descend the narrow staircase you hear thumping and hissing behind you as a giant spider tries to find a way to fit through the opening. The rough-hewn stairs wind downward, twisting in a tight spiral into darkness. After a minute or two you hear the sound of water dripping and burbling and the air grows damp and briny. Suddenly as you round a bend, you find the steps have been worn away by erosion and drop off abruptly into a 10-foot drop to a stone-paved floor below in what appears to be a subterranean boathouse of sorts. The room is approximately twenty feet wide and twelve feet across, with a stony ceiling about 20 feet from the floor. Sparse light shines through cracks in a stone wall directly opposite you and pieces of rotted wood, apparently the remains of an old boat, litter the floor beside a coiled hempen rope and torn pieces of canvas. On the far right end of the boathouse is a large wooden door, partly rotted, behind which you hear rushing water. Most startling, however, is the sight of three froglike men sitting against the wall below you, dipping their webbed hands into a bucket, and sucking down something wet and slippery--and still alive--that they are pulling out and eating. The frog-men are armed with swords, spears, and nets and have placed a small wooden chest near the bucket.
feople__frog_people____bloom_concept_by_studiofawn-d5k8qxq.jpg
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,167
Reaction score
2,852
Cosar speaks very slowly with no sudden moves.

"Hello there friends, we ran from the spiders above"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,902
Reaction score
6,475
"Well this should go horribly." Mutters Waylon.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,459
Reaction score
20,430
"Aaah! More mammals!" shrieks one of the frog-men. All three leap up and begin shaking their spears at you in a threatening manner. "Stay back, hirsute ones!"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,167
Reaction score
2,852
"We won't do you any harm, we were just chased here by those spiders above" Cosar says with his hands up.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,069
Reaction score
3,499
"Do you guys have no manners?", Lisgo asks. "Not all mammals are the same, you know! And yeah, we're just being chased by arachnids...I know! How about a game of riddles? We win, you help us. We lose, we march forward on our way, without disturbing you any more. Deal?"

OOC: What else can one play with three Smeagols?
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,459
Reaction score
20,430
"Death to the mammals!" cries the most vocal of the frog-men, who hurl their spears at you. Fortunately their aim is largely off and they only score one hit. The sharp spear tip penetrates deeply into Waylon's gut.

Waylon suffers 5 points of damage.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,902
Reaction score
6,475
"I was right!" Waylon gasps with his dying breath.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,069
Reaction score
3,499
"Well, he was an elf, but...you foul murderers!", Lisgo gasps.
"What have mammals done to you?"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,459
Reaction score
20,430
is Abnegar still affected by the charm spell?
No, that wore off a while ago. He's essentially on his own now that his band is lost or dead. It's doubtful he'd be well received if he went back to his tribe at this point. He'd have a lot of explaining to do.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,459
Reaction score
20,430
"Well, he was an elf, but...you foul murderers!", Lisgo gasps.
"What have mammals done to you?"
"In the name of the Frog Lord, we demand you fur-bearing freaks surrender to our amphibious might or be struck down alongside your dead companion!" shouts the frog-men's spokesfrog. He and the other two rattle their swords and edge back toward the door. One of the other frog-men carries the small wooden chest. "None may interfere with our plans!" the leader yells.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,167
Reaction score
2,852
Cosar jumps with shock as the spear impales Waylon. In then kneels before the frogs.

"Yes absolutely. May we serve you somehow?"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,902
Reaction score
6,475
oh what to do what to do? Orc or cleric?
Abnegar! For revenge!
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,459
Reaction score
20,430
oh what to do what to do? Orc or cleric?
Abnegar! For revenge!
ABNEG1.jpg
2nd level Orc Fighter

Str 15
Int 12
Wis 11
Dex 7
Con 16
Cha 10

Hit Points: 12
AC: whatever chain and a shield is, I don't have the books with me
Languages: Orc, Elf, Common, Ogre

Equipment:
Sword named Gutsplitter (Abnegar believes this sword to be magical as he stole it from the elf whose skull he now carries as a good luck charm--see backpack contents)
Shield
Chain mail armor
Helmet with a bull's horns affixed--one horn has broken
Dagger
1 purse fastened by a cord to a leather belt (contents: 16 gold pieces, 4 silver pieces, 3 ogre's teeth fastened to a golden ring as a good luck token, and 3 small rubies pending valuation by an assayer)
Backpack (contents: 1 preserved skull of an elf, 1 pound of salted pork, 1 large block of cheese, 1 glass vial of healing potion carefully wrapped in rags to prevent breakage, 1 large gourd of orc moonshine sealed with a cork)
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,902
Reaction score
6,475
"Bah! You surrender to Frogs because a weak elf doesn't have the good sense to get out of the way of a spear?! You are worthless meat sacks no better than cattle." He growls in common at the party.

"Here me Frogs! You'll get no surrender from Abnegar and his sword Gutsplitter! If you want a fight come get it!" He yells at the frogmen
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,069
Reaction score
3,499
"Gotta agree with the orc! The amphibious ones offer is no explanation for their assault, therefore I, Lisgo the Just, proclaim this an unprovoked attack that cries out for vengeance!", the rapier-wielding dwarf says, pulling another blade to become dual-armed.
"Last chance, scales. You surrender to us - or else! 3...2...1..."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,069
Reaction score
3,499
"Gotta agree with the orc! The amphibious ones offer is no explanation for their assault, therefore I, Lisgo the Just, proclaim this an unprovoked attack that cries out for vengeance!", the rapier-wielding dwarf says, pulling another blade to become dual-armed.
"Last chance, scales. You surrender to us - or else! 3...2...1..."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,167
Reaction score
2,852
Cosar doesn't move, waiting to see how things play out.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,459
Reaction score
20,430
"Hop to it!" shouts the spokesfrog as the three leap against the door, pushing it ajar enough to slip through. You hear the taunt of "You'll never steal our treasure!", then through the open door you hear the burbling of a river or stream flowing underground and hear the splash of the frog-men entering the water. You see below you their bucket full of live fish flopping in a space too small to contain them.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,167
Reaction score
2,852
"Well that went well" says Cosar with a laugh.
 
Last edited:

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,069
Reaction score
3,499
"For most of us", Lisgo corrects him.
He moves to check Waylon's purse before leaving. "No need letting everything he owned go to waste. An' had nice boots, too!"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,459
Reaction score
20,430
"For most of us", Lisgo corrects him.
He moves to check Waylon's purse before leaving. "No need letting everything he owned go to waste. An' had nice boots, too!"
On Waylon's person you find 1 dagger, 1 leather backpack, 1 large sack, 1 wineskin, 1 lantern, 2 oil flasks, 1 week's iron rations, 1 10-foot pole, 72 gold pieces, and 1 silver piece.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
11,459
Reaction score
20,430
"Well that went well" says Cosar with a laugh.

He tiptoes over slowly, gently opens the door just a bit and peers out beyond.
Are you jumping down? See below:
As you descend the narrow staircase you hear thumping and hissing behind you as a giant spider tries to find a way to fit through the opening. The rough-hewn stairs wind downward, twisting in a tight spiral into darkness. After a minute or two you hear the sound of water dripping and burbling and the air grows damp and briny. Suddenly as you round a bend, you find the steps have been worn away by erosion and drop off abruptly into a 10-foot drop to a stone-paved floor below in what appears to be a subterranean boathouse of sorts. The room is approximately twenty feet wide and twelve feet across, with a stony ceiling about 20 feet from the floor. Sparse light shines through cracks in a stone wall directly opposite you and pieces of rotted wood, apparently the remains of an old boat, litter the floor beside a coiled hempen rope and torn pieces of canvas. On the far right end of the boathouse is a large wooden door, partly rotted, behind which you hear rushing water.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,167
Reaction score
2,852
OOC: Woops!

Cosar looks to the others.

"Anybody got a rope? I'll head down and have a look and see what's out there"
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,069
Reaction score
3,499
Lisgo gives up on wondering how the 10-footpolewasfitting in the corridor where the spiders couldn't, and takes all the possessions. He talks as he takes it all, without turning.
"Abnegar...you were his friend. Here's his dagger", he tosses it. "And I'll give you half of the...26 pieces and 2 silver that I see", he adds as he puts them all in his purse. "If that's not fine with the human, I'll take a lesser share and still give him his one one third".
"Heh, you can have all his wine, too...if it was ale, I'd have asked you to share. But as it stands, I prefer the iron rations."
Of course, Lisgo puts them all in his purse while hiding the exact number with his back.
 
Top