OD&D in-character thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Once we see how Seri fares, I'll update the results. For those who fell, I have to roll to see if you hit the aforementioned rocks or luck out and splash down in the water. And then roll for damage depending on the outcome of those rolls. :dice:
Boyan has but 1 HP. You can skip the rolling, except to see what kind of splash he makes: wet, or hard and wet.
But falling into water from that height is still blunt damage, even if possibly a bit less.

So can he recite the above while going down? Or can we find it written among his belongings:grin:?

Boyan has but 1 HP. You can skip the rolling, except to see what kind of splash he makes: wet, or hard and wet.
But falling into water from that height is still blunt damage, even if possibly a bit less.

So can he recite the above while going down? Or can we find it written among his belongings:grin:?
giphy.gif
ElderlyAltruisticAmericanwirehair-small.gif

I still need to roll to see HOW you die! :devil: Sure, he can recite his poem. It's a long way down.
untitled.png

OOC: Well, I hope for the hard fall.
Otherwise, you'd have a harder time finding the valuables he's carrying!

On the way down, you hear Boyan's resigned voice.
"Cattle dies, gnomes die, and elves die.
Sometimes even good people bite the dust!
There's but two one thing that never dies:
The gold-induced, conquering, adventurous lust!"

And it all ends with a dull sound.

The other watch in horror as Bayon, Balin, and Lürgen plummet through the planks to the river below. Bayon recites some sort of poem as he falls to his doom. Bayon and Lürgen hit a rock formation just below the water's surface. Bayon's armor shatters as his body is smashed with a sickening crunching sound. Lürgen is impaled through the gut by a sharp, upturned rock, his blood momentarily turning the water red before the rushing current disperses it. Balin is comparatively lucky as he splashes into the water without hitting any rocks; unfortunately the force of the impact immediately kills him. The river quickly carries the dwarf's body downstream and out of sight.

Time to roll up new PCs!

At the far end of the rope bridge, Cosar, Pustar, and Seri find that just beyond the cliff there are scattered trees and stumps blackened by a recent fire, and then perhaps fifty yards on there is a great green spruce forest, tangled and wild with undergrowth and vines and fallen cones. The chatter of rodents can be heard in the bushes and treetops, as well as the call and response of forest birds. There seems to be the remnants of an ancient game trail, littered with pine cones, leading from the bridge into the woods, but to where you have no way of knowing. The feeling of normality and safety after emerging from the strange and dark catacombs is immediately shattered by the faint sound of scraping, barely audible across the chasm, coming from the hidden door through which you exited. The door remains closed but from the noise it appears the gnolls are seeking a way to follow you. As you stand at the edge of the spruce forest, you see an elf, encumbered by a backpack and a large sack, approaching you by way of the game trail.
7006222_medium_1554320271.jpg
Bunch Bunch can explain what his new PC is doing there.

Last edited:
"Have any of you wretches seen my cousin Balin?" An Elf asks with a haute air to him.

Seri is too frightened to acknowledge the Elf.

She asks her remaining companions: "Should we cut down the bridge so that they can't follow us?"

"Have any of you wretches seen my cousin Balin?" An Elf asks with a haute air to him.

"Er... I fear we may be the bearers of sad tidings..." says Pustar solemnly, "... Balin has gone to rest in the ample bosom of The Wise Mother."

Pustar nods vigorously when Seri suggests cutting the bridge. Unfortunately due to some obscure article of faith that no one really understands he is only permitted to carry blunt weapons, and so is unable to assist.

"What a moron. Still what can you expect from a dwarf? I only came searching for him because the family forced me at sword point. Tiresome people. Glad to be free of their endless commentary. Still I should collect his things and share of whatever treasure you have found for the family." He says indifferently.

"Collect his share..." Cosar strides forward "...and he was your cousin? But you're an elf and he was a dwarf"

"My uncle took a century 'to find himself' which apparently involved sleeping with everything that moved. It turns out humans can breed with just about everything and my 'aunt' apparently did. You think a half elf is odd or rare wait until you see a half-dwarf. Talk about a face only a mother could love. Balin's uncle has the same embarrassing stories to tell as mine. Serves them right damn fools!" Waylon shakes his head in disgust. "No more on this topic. I've indulged your rude inquiry enough!"

Last edited:
"...." Cosar stares at Waylon. Stunned by the story and interested to hear more, but he decides against it.

"Right well, now that that's cleared up...yes let's cut the bridge" he says turning to Seri.

"You're a very odd fellow." Waylon says wondering why these silly people are destroying an obviously pointless bridge in the first place.

Feeling increased anxiety, and lacking a knife, Seri took out one of her flasks of lantern oil and began to set fire to the bridge, starting with the ropes.

“That should do it!”

"From whence is your irrational hatred of bridges born?!?" Puzzles Waylon.

"I presume this bridge is evil", a voice whispers.

Waylon looks at the whisperer and says "You are a silly person."

Seri spins around dramatically and says, through gritted teeth: "this bridge murdered three of my... er... well not exactly friends... but helpful acquaintances!!" She then turns back to look at her dirty work through narrow, Clint Eastwood-like squinty eyes and slowly gives the flaming bridge the universal "up yours" hand sign.

"I believe you're transferring qualities onto the bridge it simply doesn't have. The bridge didn't put out a knife and stab your associates. Their incompetence and stupidity in chosing to use a worn out guano covered bridge for crossing got them killed. The bridge was doing it's best to decay as far as I can see and die a quiet 'death'. I'd say you should choose your traveling companions with more care but given my current situation I can see how you sometimes have to just make do". Waylon scolds Seri

"Let her vent, man", the man who whispered says in a slightly - but only slightly - higher voice. "I mean, what's an old bridge to you? If it makes her feel better...well."
The man wears leather armour, a shield, a bow, and spear, and his face can be best described as "nondescript".
The reason he was unnoticed is that he was behind the tallest vegetation around. Given that he's now tying his breaches, the reason is almost, but thankfully not quite, self-evident.

Seri sets the murderous bridge alight with her oil, which, combined with the dried old wood and ropes, starts a conflagration of oppressive heat mere moments before the hidden door at the other side of the chasm opens. Recognizing their quarry has escaped, the gnolls shake fists and howl at you. Realizing that you're all still within range of their long bows, the archers among the gnolls begin to unlimber their weapons. Meanwhile the blazing fire gives off an oppressive heat until the tethers are burned through, causing the rope bridge to fall away from the cliff at your end and plunge into the water below.

You have about six seconds before the gnolls will be able to loose their arrows at you.

"I can't say I'm surprised you've managed to make a negative impression on those beasts. Well no matter. Back to the forest I go. " Waylon says before heading back towards the spruce forest putting trees between him and the potential incoming arrows.

"Gnolls?", gasps Cacoy, and hides behind the tree he was watering, before moving (deeper) in the forest.

"Right lets get out of here!" Cosar roars as he runs into the trees.

Pustar nods a greeting at Cacoy before ducking behind the nearest tree.

Waylon, Seri, Cacoy, Pustar, and Cosar duck into the trees just in time to avoid the first sheaf of arrows. Looking back, they realize now what the delay was on the part of the gnolls: they stopped to prepare flaming arrows. Although none of the quintet was hit, the edge of the forest has been set ablaze, fresh green wood crackling and giving off great plumes of dark smoke, old dead wood acting almost as firebombs. All about you is verdure: tall trees, winding vines, shrubs and bushes, wildflowers. The forest erupts into a cacophony of animal calls as beasts flee the licking flames.

"Let's run before we inhale the fumes!", Cacoy suggests.

Seri gets a bit worried as she reminisces about the time a fire broke out over a field during a dry season. All the animals rushed out in a panic, including some meaner ones.

Just in case, she drew her mace as she ran after her fellows...

Waylon looks at Cacoy and says "There may be hope for this group after all." and joins him in bravely running away.

Running along the game trail, you soon leave the heat and flame of danger behind you and come upon a goose-foot intersection beside which is an old wooden sign with arrows pointing three directions. Inscripted on the arrows pointing left and right are Elvish characters, reading:

<--Loaʻa i ka Huluhuʻi

Ka Halepule Kū'ē-->

<--Happy Hideaway

Forbidden Temple-->
There is nothing to indicate where you'll arrive if you travel straight on the path.

"Do you understand that nonsense?", asks Cacoy suspiciously.

"It's in Elvish. I'm an elf. Do you really need me to connect those dots?" Waylon replies shaking his head at the stupidity of the question.

"It's in Elvish. I'm an elf. Do you really need me to connect those dots?" Waylon replies shaking his head at the stupidity of the question.
"Sure, if you can confirm it's in Elvish... but how was I supposed to know it's Elvish, given that I don't speak or read it?", Cacoy answered, moving to follow Waylon.
"I mean, all I knew was the word Loa, spirit. But for all I know, it might also be the word for 'go make unmentionable acts with your mother' in, say, Draconic", he explained.

"So, where are we going?" asks Pustar, jogging after Waylon.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back