OD&D in-character thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Cosar steps forward to the Orc leader.

"I'm low on magics, got a good dagger on you? If you do, I'll follow behind you"

Waylon sees no reason to trailblaze so to speak and hangs back for the time being scanning for threats from the woods
Pustar sniffs the air worriedly. He isn't convinced that this is a good idea at all and hangs back, mace and shield at the ready. He nods at one of the orcs,

"Hey brave fellow you look to have a good nose for trouble, what do you make of the stink of this hole?"
The orc sniffs the air with his porcine snout and responds, "Eh, smells like a hobbit's fart. I've eaten worse."
Seri pipes up at this idea (no way in the 9 Hells will she go in first).

"I'll cover you with my bow, mighty orc! Not that you'll need any help!"

[OOC - she will either stick with any ranged attackers or near the Dwarf, who looks like he can absorb lots of punishment]
Abnegar responds, "The day I need help from a hobbit is the day I volunteer to be made a eunuch!"
Cosar steps forward to the Orc leader.

"I'm low on magics, got a good dagger on you? If you do, I'll follow behind you"
Abnegar hands you a dagger with a chip out of the blade and remarks, "We haven't had many travelers' bodies to loot lately. Who here is too cowardly to proceed into the burrow? Any orc who answers in the affirmative, I will slit your throat myself!" Abnegar enters the darkness, expecting Seri and Cosar, at least, to follow. His orcs also enter close behind.

Cosar heads in with the orcs, though he joins with the last rank going in.

Waylon isn't about to stand out here alone. "I go with my good friend Orcs!" He announced.

"I'll be in the rearguard", Lisgo announced, and made ready to follow...though he'd pulled out only his dagger, so far.

Those who enter are confronted with soft, moist earth underfoot as they proceed into the darkness. The burrow curves to the right and down and widens to about 12 feet across with about a foot of headroom for the tallest among you. The walls are hard-packed earth with roots protruding and moss and fungi growing in the damp darkness. The air is warm and smells of rotting vegetation and here and there you come upon an enormous mushroom growing in your path. As you round the curve, you find the burrow branches off in two directions, left and right, with each opening narrowing to about 6 feet in width and 5 feet in height. These tunnels curve away as well, making it impossible to see past the first ten feet each way.

Last edited:
"That's getting too narrow for me Orcs...think enough of us can fit in here to sleep soundly? Elves do any of you know if that type of fungus emits hallucinogens or anything. I'm not taking any chances?"

"Just so I'm clear on this. You think bedding down at the intersection of a dark man sized tunnel is a imminently sound plan?" Waylon asks with an eyebrow raised.

Pustar rolled 17 and 2 against his WIS 17 so two successes.

OOC: Cosar got 19 and 2, first well above his Wisdom of 9

OOC: Roll for me, no dice here and I trust you with the dice. Lisgo's in the back anyway.

"Just so I'm clear on this. You think bedding down at the intersection of a dark man sized tunnel is a imminently sound plan?" Waylon asks with an eyebrow raised.
"Well, I don't! But you suggested that cave!"

Seri gets a pass and a fail with 8 and 13 (Wis of 9).

Ruh roh

Waylon got a 17 & 18. Well above his I believe 14 Wis.
Pustar rolled 17 and 2 against his WIS 17 so two successes.
OOC: Cosar got 19 and 2, first well above his Wisdom of 9
OOC: Roll for me, no dice here and I trust you with the dice. Lisgo's in the back anyway.
Seri gets a pass and a fail with 8 and 13 (Wis of 9).
Looking about after the elves were addressed and no response was received, you don't see Sarbaturi or Crocefissa. You're not even sure if they entered the burrow with you, what with all the confusion, or if something has happened to them.
As you accidentally brush close to the dirt walls of the burrow, you notice strands of a strange, slightly sticky, silky white filament, perhaps some sort of root or part of a weird plant. You don't like the way it adheres to you. Fortunately it's very thin and easily broken.

"Hey! Where are the two heavily-armed long-ears? They be too good to share a burrow with us, or something?"

Seri is about to yell "it's a trap!" but decides against it. Instead, she will dash to the nearest wall. No real reason: it "feels" safer to do that.

"Hey! Where are the two heavily-armed long-ears? They be too good to share a burrow with us, or something?"

"Perhaps our Elven companions have simply chosen, quite wisely, not to charge head first into what will almost certainly turn out to be the lair of some vile aberration. I recall that there was mention earlier of giant spiders nesting in these parts..."

Pustar prods at the strands of white filament with his mace.

"We should light torches and prepare oil if we are going to proceed further. And let us see how this sticky stuff burns..."

Last edited:
"Perhaps our Elven companions have simply chosen, quite wisely, not to charge head first into what will almost certainly turn out to be the lair of some vile aberration. I recall that there was mention earlier of giant spiders nesting in these parts..."

He prods at the strands of white filament with his mace.

"We should light torches and prepare oil if we are going to proceed further. And let us see how this sticky stuff burns..."
"Capital idea! Perhaps we lay down some oil here, back out and torch the place. After things cool down we can head back in." Waylon replies

Seri likes this idea, but has used up all of her oil from an earlier encounter with a fiendish rope bridge that slayed some of her party.

She backs up, eager to avoid getting entangled in any strands nearby, perfectly aware that a single rat bite will send her to her deceased family.

"Capital idea! Perhaps we lay down some oil here, back out and torch the place. After things cool down we can head back in." Waylon replies

"Well, though it be a somewhat gruesome tactic, perhaps we could entice whatever waits in hiding beyond out into the open with a tasty morsel. Our orc friends have the corpse of our dead companion with them, albeit with the intention of feasting on his roasted flesh. Perhaps they could forego dinner and we could put the body to better use. Lay down some oil in the entrance cavern, leave the body out in plain sight and then lob in some torches if anything comes along to take the bait. That way, also, Cacoy gets cremated rather than consumed which seems a little more fitting under the circumstances."

Once you've agreed on your course of action--or someone acts unilaterally--I'll update from there.

"Well if we can get Cacoy's body off the orcs and then if someone has some oil..."

If no one has any objections perhaps we could try Pustar's suggestion? Waylon's probably the best person to convince the orcs to give up Cacoy's body as he has the chief charmed. Then I'm sure some people have flasks of oil. Dunno if it's spiders but it looks like a possibility.

"Orc friends. Would you agree using the body of our dead friend is the best way to lure whatever foul creature makes it home here out? I think putting his corpse closer to the entrance of the cavern with a trail of oil back here to the intersection would be an excellent way to quickly clear these caves." Waylon asks directed at Abnegar. "Agreed?"

"Orc friends. Would you agree using the body of our dead friend is the best way to lure whatever foul creature makes it home here out? I think putting his corpse closer to the entrance of the cavern with a trail of oil back here to the intersection would be an excellent way to quickly clear these caves." Waylon asks directed at Abnegar. "Agreed?"
"Bah! This man-flesh looks mighty appetizing, particularly after the skirmish with those bedeviled stirges!" grumbles Abnegar. "But we will give up the meal on the condition that we keep the next of you who dies, provided it be not by poison."

Addressing the orcs carrying Cacoy, he says, "Ghath! Rast! Give the body to the elf wizard to make of use for plan." His orcs look disgruntled but none acts to intervene.

Seri gulps nervously. Hopefully she gets to eat that delicious orc meat before they get a bite from her.

The green color MUST be oregano... or mint. Perhaps mint?

Her tummy grumbles, replacing her nausea with something else. Something far more disturbing.

She follows her companions' lead.

Cosar implicitly agrees to the plan by remaining silent, eagar to see what happens and fearing the worst.

So, who has oil and where are you placing the corpse? Also, are you making any other preparations before you set it ablaze?

So... yeah let's put the body at the intersection and then pour oil on the ground around it, then all back up a bit. Dumarest Dumarest - the plan is to ignite the oil with a thrown torch when something comes along to snack on the corpse (which obviously may or may not happen). I'm pretty sure that Waylon and Lisgo both have flasks of oil if they would like to help out, plus the elves gave us two gourds of oil as well. What could possibly go wrong? :tongue:

Seri will get into position with her short bow, so that if any flaming beasties come running out, she can douse them... with arrows!

Seri gets a serious case of flaming oil envy, watching her comrades passing it around and doing the good work.

“Those fucking gnolls”, she whispers harshly.

Lisgo frowns.
"Don't just throw torches. Spill some oil in a thin line to our location, then light it it your feet...and throw torches for better odds", he instructs the others.
"And I'll check the exit. Because if I was me a spider, that's where I'd be weaving snares right now", he adds, pulling his sword and weaving it across the opening of the burrow.

Lisgo frowns.
"Don't just throw torches. Spill some oil in a thin line to our location, then light it it your feet...and throw torches for better odds", he instructs the others.
"And I'll check the exit. Because if I was me a spider, that's where I'd be weaving snares right now", he adds, pulling his sword and weaving it across the opening of the burrow.

"Good idea," says Pustar nodding, "Perhaps a couple of our orc friends could join you in the rearguard."

Assuming I have not misunderstood...

At the intersection of the tunnels, you spread your oil as Lisgo indicated and lower to the ground the corpse of your erstwhile companion, much to the displeasure of the orcs. Throwing a lit torch, you see the body begin to be consumed by the flames. Lisgo and two orcs venture back towards the entrance whence you came. The dank burrow begins to fill with smoke and you hear a faint coughing sound from somewhere on the other side, but cannot see the source in the darkness and smoke.

Meanwhile, Lisgo, Ghath, and Rast head for the entrance. After only a few yards you round the bend again, finding the way is blocked by more of the sticky white filaments you noticed near the intersection. At first the strands are easily enough pushed away and broken with your swords, but soon you find the webbing is very thick and heavy enough that you cannot see past it. You believe you could hack it away if the three of you work in concert and make great effort. However, you can hear from the other side of the barrier a sickening hissing and chittering sound accompanied by a scurrying and tippy-tappy sound made by numerous legs. It occurs to you that you're trapped between thick, sticky webs on one side and a blazing corpse on the other.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back