OD&D in-character thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The open door swings shut on creaking hinges and a fish flops out of the bucket onto the wet stone floor while you contemplate your options.

"OK...let's go bravely forward, escaping chitinous death", Lisgo announces after dividing fairly the spoils of dead elves.

"Dibs on the leg." Abnegar approaching the elf corpse with a blade. "But don't eat too much. Frogs legs are delicious."

"I might have to skip that part in my epic poem", Lisgo sighs.

"Right, how about we get some sleep finally with one of us each taking watch in turns. Then when we wake up we head out that door down below"

Last edited:
"Bah! We have a saying. 'You can sleep when you're dead! Press forward or should Iook at you as someone I should mate with?" Abnegar grunts.

Cosar looks at the Orc with a confused expression.

"Right, well how will we get down? Got a rope?"

Then a mood overtakes him.

"No! Goddamn it! I've been trying to sleep for so bloody long now! We sleep Orc, simple as"

Abnegar looks down trying to estimate the distance and if he could safely either jump or climb down.

Abnegar looks down trying to estimate the distance and if he could safely either jump or climb down.
...you find the steps have been worn away by erosion and drop off abruptly into a 10-foot drop to a stone-paved floor below in what appears to be a subterranean boathouse of sorts. The room is approximately twenty feet wide and twelve feet across, with a stony ceiling about 20 feet from the floor. Sparse light shines through cracks in a stone wall directly opposite you and pieces of rotted wood, apparently the remains of an old boat, litter the floor beside a coiled hempen rope and torn pieces of canvas. On the far right end of the boathouse is a large wooden door, partly rotted, behind which you hear rushing water.

Lisgo shudders at the thought of orc-elf hybrids, and is glad that the elf is male, too. Or what passes for male amongst the nearly-beardless elves.

Are you making camp in the boathouse?

Cosar settles down and makes camp for himself at least and then goes to sleep.

"I hope the gods are kind and that I live" he says, doing a little rite with oil to a harvest deity from the village where he grew up.

Lisgo follows the example.
"So, friend orc...who's going to remain on watch?"

Once you've determined the watch order, if any, I'll chuck some dice to see if anything interrupts your slumber or else fast forward--how many hours do you intend to sleep?

"Give me the darkest part of the night.bi don't want my life depending on surface dweller or dwarf eyes..." He grunts

"Fine! I'll take first watch, then!"

OOC: Cosar is going to rest until he feels able to rememorise Sleep. So the full eight hours, not including watches.

Okay, I have Lisgo and Abnegar taking the watch, I assume four hour shifts since no on else volunteered? Anyone on watch, give me a Constitution check (roll under or equal to = success) and let me know if you succeed or fail and then I'll post what transpires. :devil:

Okay, I have Lisgo and Abnegar taking the watch, I assume four hour shifts since no on else volunteered? Anyone on watch, give me a Constitution check (roll under or equal to = success) and let me know if you succeed or fail and then I'll post what transpires. :devil:
Abnegar rolled a 15 which I assumed failed but upon reviewing his stats I see I succeeded by 1 point!

I took the liberty of rolling for Lisgo and assuming four-hour shifts.

Lisgo takes the first watch, which is uneventful, followed by an even more uneventful second watch by Abnegar. Daylight comes and, as the others begin to awaken, Abnegar hears from outside, some small distance away, a voice singing unclear words. As Lisgo, Cosar, Pustar, and Seri regain awareness of their surroundings, all of you can hear a pleasant melody drifting into the boathouse from somewhere nearby outside:

"Turnips and radishes make a good stew
Peel some potatoes, throw carrots in, too
Find a few beets, even old ones will do
But until we catch fish, we'll have fishermen's blues..."

You now hear the sound of dripping oars or paddles churning the water outside the boathouse.

Cosar leaps up.

"Right let's get ready and see who this is. Friendly boatman with no ill intentions happy to give us a lift...I doubt. Let's get down there as quick as we can. Somebody hand me a rope"

Lisgo gathers the camp after sleeping and rummages through his belongings for a rope.

Check your inventories to see if any of you have a rope. It's only ten feet down, though, so even if you decide to do without a rope there's no danger in the descent. Thus, after you rummage for ropes or determine you have no rope and climb down, what's everyone doing?

The boathouse floor is paved with stone and is about 20 feet wide by 12 feet across. The ceiling is carved from stone, so the structure appears to have been built into a cliffside or mountainside. Morning light shines through the some small cracks in the far wall and the floor is littered with planks of rotted wood, rusted nails, a hempen rope, and torn pieces of canvas leftover from an abandoned boat. The boathouse door 12 feet opposite you squeaks on creaking hinges now and then as a breeze blows it ajar. The voice from outside continues to sing:

"Turtles and frogs, reeds and lily pads, too
Brush up against this old wooden canoe
Keep hands on your nets, lads, whatever you do
For until we catch fish, we'll have fishermen's blues..."

OOC Waylon had a 10' pole. I'm going to assume he was good and thoroughly looted as all corpses should be. Assuming that...

Abnegar holds the 10'pole for anyone wanting to use it to climb/slide down.

Since interest seems to have died down, who wants to wrap it up and try 1st edition Gamma World?

I'm up for either staying or going gamma

Are we doing the conversion thing? i.e. transfer the lads to Gamma World or just new Gamma World characters. Fine either way.

I'm up for wrapping it (over?:smile:). I don't "feel" the characters either way:wink:.
Will consider whether joining Gamma World (or joining a supers game) is a wise move, but only when RL mayhem calms down at least a bit!

When I get home I'll flip through Gamma World and come up with a pitch.

Edit: I'll also encapsulate any rules you need to know in case you don't happen to have 1st edition GW.

Last edited:
Regardless of what we decide I already started rolling up a GW 1e character. I love the randomness. I thought this guy would be a corpse within minutes and he might but then I rolled mutations. He has a hostility field and a paralysis musk. It's like he's a walking anglerfish!

Regardless of what we decide I already started rolling up a GW 1e character. I love the randomness. I thought this guy would be a corpse within minutes and he might but then I rolled mutations. He has a hostility field and a paralysis musk. It's like he's a walking anglerfish!
You should call him Kurt, then!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back