[Offsite] Online Gaming Tools & Resources

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
This is the thread I was looking for to post - so thanks for rezzing it.

That's just an awesome tool

Along the same lines at Hextml there is Hexfriend. It's a simple online hex mapper with the classic terrain types. You can change hex orientation, add rivers, roads and borders and simple icons for villages, landmarks and dungeons. It allows you to export the resulting map as a .png or in it's save format so you can work on it later.

This is a quick little map I made as a test.

Test Map.png

Along the same lines at Hextml there is Hexfriend. It's a simple online hex mapper with the classic terrain types. You can change hex orientation, add rivers, roads and borders and simple icons for villages, landmarks and dungeons. It allows you to export the resulting map as a .png or in it's save format so you can work on it later.

This is a quick little map I made as a test.

View attachment 52686
Love the straight-forward simplicity of that one!

We aim to play a monthly trpg session in person, with occasional catch ups online - usually if we cannot coordinate to be physically present for our monthly sessions, or if we have 'leftovers' to sort out.

Regarding online play, we are trying to minimise costs and don't want much complexity, so my group hasn't gone down the formal VTT providers at this stage.

When we play rpgs online we use Skype for voice chat, and it's easy to share links, documents, images etc it does what we need (we are not big hexgrid players, so it works fine for TotM.
Plus Skype is free.

Regarding dice, we just use various free dicerooms:
  • I recently discovered Rolling Dice With Friends, which is very simple and clean presentation - as a GM I just access it from my mobile phone, that way I have one less screen up on my monitor. No accounts needed, highly recommended for those who want a simple option.
  • Another free dice room option we may potentially move to is dddice, which has nice animation and a much wider scope of available dice. I prefer Rolling Dice With Friends because it looks so crisp and clear, but the animations with dddice are also good, and having a wider scope of dice rather than just the standard polydice is ideal for us (eg: fudge dice, etc)
Just wanting to let people know about these options, which are excellent for TotM style play.
We had a good time playing online, and keeping it free and simple is the trick :thumbsup:

Last edited:
the fuckers don't let it work on a mobile
At least on Firefox, one can choose "Desktop site" in the menu. (That way you can also play YouTube music and turn off the screen, btw)

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back