Mod+ OGL 1.1 is not an Open License.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does PF have tools that automate the crunch the way D&D does? And (assuming you’re not a rules lawyer who actually cares about such stuff) how badly would the game break if you just ignore a ton of the rules and play it as de-facto D&D? Because while people online love to argue and obsess over rules minutiae, my experience in the real world is that most people don’t care at all about if they’re remembering all of their modifiers and calculating their gestalt bonuses correctly and all that fiddly stuff.
Apparently it runs really well on the Foundry VTT.

I really like D&D-ish games but going for an even more "fiddly" system is baffling (to me, speaking as a DM/GM). But then I don't get kids these days...
It's the one alternative that's available and known, with a significant player network and VTT support, and basically fills the D&D genre.

Although where are Pelgrane Press in all this? If ever there was a time to try and drum up some interest in 13th Age now would be the time.

It's the one alternative that's available and known, with a significant player network and VTT support, and basically fills the D&D genre.

Although where are Pelgrane Press in all this? If ever there was a time to try and drum up some interest in 13th Age now would be the time.

13th Age is my jam.

I really like D&D-ish games but going for an even more "fiddly" system is baffling (to me, speaking as a DM/GM). But then I don't get kids these days...
Yes I don’t understand this, as I found 5E to be an improvement from 3E
(at least in regards to skill bloat - the 3E era character sheets look like what we used to write our tax returns on)

I would understand if they were jumping ship to something lighter in the D20 family, but PF seems like a cumbersome choice to go to.
I only have the original edition of PF and that feels very much in the 3E bag, so I’m unsure if PF2 is that much different.

PF2 does have the resources and visibility on the shelves however, as well as supported organised play and VTT availability, so I guess that is why it’s the most logical one for them to grab

Goodman Games needs to get more titles on the game shop shelves right now, and I think DDC would quickly rise as a challenger.
Follow that up with more titles of Pelgrane Press’s 13th Age, then along with PF2 we’ll see three viable contenders get in the ring with WotC

This is how the Great D20 War of this Age will start !!!

1674541901785.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes I don’t understand this, as I found 5E to be an improvement from 3E.
I would understand if they were jumping ship to DCC, but PF sees like a cumbersome choice to go to. I only have the original edition of PF and that feels very much in the 3E family, so I’m unsure if PF2 is that much differen.

PF2 does have the resources and visibility on the shelves however, as well as supported organised play, so I guess that is why it’s the most logical one for them to grab

Goodman Games needs to get more titles on the game shop shelves right now, and I think it would quickly rise as a contender!
Aside from what I said above for many players it may be sort of the next stage in the cycle of their gaming careers.

- You wanted more character customisation? You definitely got more character customisation.
- You wanted more meaningful tactical choices in combat (by all accounts P2 has these).
- You wanted encounter building rules that actually work (people say this works well in P2).
- You want adventure paths (Paizo sort of invented these - and this may be the biggest thing - a lot of 5e groups are used to playing through these - P2 lets them keep playing the way they're used to.)

- You want a faster, easier, fly by the seat of your pants system that just works when you need it and gets out of the way the rest of the time? First you gotta get all of the above out of your system and realise it's all ultimately hollow :wink:

With regards to Warhammer, them losing interest in the Old Word was one the best things that happened with WFRP 4E. The Old World was dead in GW's mind, so they didn't have the issues Chris Pramas had with 2E, where he had GW insisting he had to line things up with the mini game.
Would you mind sharing links or a quick summary of what happened? This is all news to me.

Would you mind sharing links or a quick summary of what happened? This is all news to me.
4th edtion was being developed after Games Workshop had killed off Warhammer Fantasy Battle and replaced it with Age of Sigmar. As GW wasn't making anything in the Old World, it freed up Cubicle 7 to set 4E in the time of 1st Edition.

If you are interested in the development of any of the editions of WFRP, the Rookery did a great episode with the developers of each edition, Graeme Davis (WFRP1), James Wallis (WFRP1), Chris Pramas (WFRP2), Jay Little (WFRP3), and Andy Law (WFRP4).

Yeah, it caused a big stir on Twitter.

I, uh, don't really find it a big deal, mildly amusing. I can't imagine being a media liasson for Wizards is a fun job right now. It's not like they have anything whatsoever to do with the OGL stuff

So this is the cover to next WoTC Release

1674653781128.png

I noticed something odd

1674653980685.png
A tm mark at the end of The World's Greatest Roleplaying Game. However it is not showing up in TESS.

Seems like another shot across the bow of the OSR who often used that phrase as a euphemism for D&D.

So this one's going to fail hard I think. Doing a marketing push for a new book now would just be stupid, and not buying this, which is a fairly niche product anyway, seems like an easy protest for most people who do play and buy things for D&D. I assume it's supposed to tie in with the film, but the film could easily fail.

BTW, who else thinks that there would be stills from the D&D movie in DnDone's books?

Depends on how it winds up being received. I seem to remember some tie-ins for the original movie being announced in catalogs and then scrapped before release. My suspicion is that WotC realized what they had on their hands and quietly backed away from it, a la Nintendo and Super Mario Brothers.

When I was in the bookstore today, I saw that some of the Pathfinder stuff was gone. So there’s some anecdotal and then the hearsay from other people about what they are seeing on the ground. Big self-inflicted wound on Wizards part, and they are waiting around for survey results they already know the answers to.

I remember a bunch of people saying that "PF2e was failing" because they didn't think it was selling as well as PF1e did (even though Paizo themselves said that the PF2e sales were stronger than PF1e sales were).

But clearly all they needed to do was to wait for WotC to make a grievous error.

I never seen a girl who looked so much like they belonged on the cover of Mad Magazine
I have...:shade:

NPR dropped a piece on the ongoing situation yesterday.

(transcript on the page for those who don't want to spend 8 minutes listening to it)

It's like, Codega needs to, like, stop using "like" when she's, like, describing something, like, something that actually happens/happened, because it's like-ly to drive her editor, like, insane:devil:!

No, seriously.

Also, I just timed myself. 8 minutes of podcast, I read it in 3. Ask me again why I want transcripts, will you*:tongue:?

*The "you" that's not addressed to Tulpa Girl or anyone in particular, 'cause I'm like, just rambling on my keyboard, like...seems like I need to stop using "like" right the fuck now:grin:!

WotC really does like handing money to Paizo, huh. (Seriously I had just come to this thread to post the same tweet)
Well, if they like it so much, I'm sure Paizo wouldn't begrudge them this small pleasure...as long as it's no-strings-attached:gunslinger:!

When I was in the bookstore today, I saw that some of the Pathfinder stuff was gone. So there’s some anecdotal and then the hearsay from other people about what they are seeing on the ground. Big self-inflicted wound on Wizards part, and they are waiting around for survey results they already know the answers to.
I also noted yesterday that there were no Pathfinder 2 core books on my local game store bookshelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back