Old Earth Astronaut (5e Background)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
Some of my players have expressed interest in playing an Old Earth astronaut in my 5e weird fantasy game if their current character dies. We're embracing the standard "strange tales" trope; a 2x century Earthman astronaut hurtled through time and space, ending up a stranger in a strange land. Charlton Heston in 1968's Planet of the Apes is the gold standard but I think the legendary Major Tom could fit as well.

Anyway, I was thinking of making the Old Earth astronaut a class but realized it would probably better as a background since the published 5e classes cover a lot of ground once you strip away the flavor text and focus on the mechanics. Instead I reskinned the Far Traveler background from SCAG. Before I pull the trigger on this, I want to present it to the board because you guys might think of something better.

Old Earth Astronaut

Skill Proficiencies:
Acrobatics, Nature*
Tool Proficiencies: Vehicles (Air). Any one musical instrument or gaming set of your choice native to Old Earth.
Equipment: coveralls, broken comm, first aid (healer's) kit, musical instrument or gaming set, memento of home, small gold bar worth 10 gp
Feature: All Eyes on You. Your speech, mannerisms, and appearance attract a great deal of attention. Curious glances are directed your way wherever you go, which can be a nuisance, but you also gain the friendly interest of scholars and others intrigued by Old Earth, to say nothing of everyday folk who are eager to hear stories of your home.

You can parley this attention into access to people and places you might not otherwise have, for you and your traveling companions. Lords, scholars, and merchant princes, to name a few, might be interested in hearing about Old Earth.

*In my campaign, Nature represents the natural sciences, covering diverse disciplines such as astronomy and mathematics along with knowledge of things animal, mineral, and vegetable.

I'd probably be inclined to give Athletics over Acrobatics, because astronauts are ridiculously fit. Vehicles (Air) doesn't look that useful as a proficiency, but I think the feature looks very fun so more than makes up for it.

The other thing I'd strongly consider is giving them A Gun and one clip, or even just a couple of bullets (And no way of ever making more), as part of their starting equipment. It's "stronger" than a lot of other starting equipment packages get even if you just make it a counts as shortbow, but it feels appropriate.

I'd probably be inclined to give Athletics over Acrobatics, because astronauts are ridiculously fit. Vehicles (Air) doesn't look that useful as a proficiency, but I think the feature looks very fun so more than makes up for it.
I agree an astronaut has to be in great shape as well as intelligent; both CON and INT should be above average. I went back and forth between Athletics and Acrobatics for a while. Since astronauts need a good sense of balance and body orientation I decided on Acrobatics but I am not married to the idea (this is why feedback is important!).

Vehicles (Air) might never be used but I don't see it as a problem. Two or three of my players have a flavorful tool proficiency they've never used and that's perfectly fine. I feel that the background features are more important because they bring something interesting to social or exploration scenes.

The other thing I'd strongly consider is giving them A Gun and one clip, or even just a couple of bullets (And no way of ever making more), as part of their starting equipment. It's "stronger" than a lot of other starting equipment packages get even if you just make it a counts as shortbow, but it feels appropriate.
I get you and I was tempted to more gear but decided to stick with the standard 5e format. Once the character is created I will give the player additional gear based on their background. An astronaut with a medical background who emerges from a cryo pod might have her tricorder (advantage on Medicine checks to diagnose) and some stimpacks (counts as healing potions) whereas a former military pilot who crashes lands on the planet might have his laser pistol (2d8 radiant damage) and an energy clip or two. I can't really say exactly what they'd get without seeing the character and talking to the player.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back