Old-School Essentials: Stonehell

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
2,623
Reaction score
4,814
Campaign References:
You only have five more days until you lose your place on line. It took longer than expected for the entire party to muster in Ogdenburg for its first entrance to Stonehell, and the terms only allow for two months from when the letters left the Mayor's hand. Five more days and you would have lost your spot, and another company would have been named the exclusive delvers of Stonehell.

But you made it! Each of you trekked from various parts of the Western Heathlands, over hill and wave, until you reached the sturdy wooden palisade of Ogdenburg. After passing through the gates, you tromped through the mud-clogged streets, witnessing the arguments and heartfelt pledges of drunken lumberjacks, as song and pipes spilled out onto the streets from ramshackle cantinas. The stink of Ogdenburg embracing you, you sought each other out.


You witness more than one such morass

You all finally met in a flea-bitten brothel called The Left Bastard, and after a few drinks, proceeded to the Mayor's Hall. After waiting a couple of hours, two chancellors fussed over the lot of you for another two hours, making you sign papers and waiting interminable stretches for the arrival of tea. In the process, you've managed to retain a few important facts:
  • You're apparently very lucky to be given this opportunity because it will make you fabulously wealthy, but you're not expected to live for very long.
  • You must pay the Mayor one-hundred crowns (coins) of gold per month to retain this privilege.
  • Those who enter Stonehell without this privilege are declared outlaws by the Mayor, their lives and property forfeit to whomever would take them.
  • Stonehell rests below the ruins of a forgotten city in the Moisture Swamp, on the shore of Bronzewater Lake, about eight leagues away from Ogdenburg.
  • There is no road to Stonehell, so an overland journey would take two days through the snake-infested mire.
  • There is also a ferry across the lake by the Truman brothers that takes only four hours to arrive at Stonehell.
  • Ogdenburg just loves adventurers for their fun free-spending ways. But if they cause too much trouble, the people will learn to love the next party even more.
After this is drilled into your heads multiple times, you are suddenly told that Mayor Rindell is ready to meet you! The chancellors impress upon you that this is a mere formality, but the Mayor loves to meet and thank new adventurers in person. With uncharacteristic brevity, they fade to the back of the room as the Mayor and his steel-clad honor guard arrives with great pomp.


Such finery amid squalor!

Mayor Rindell has a sculpted black mustache and flowing black curls, arrayed upon impossibly-rich brocaded sleeves and lace ruffles. He wears an impressive sash of office atop what appears to be a mirrored breastplate. Rindell's arrival is immediately followed by the arrival of his overpowering perfume. He stands erect and addresses you in a very casual tone.

"Ah, the new adventurers! You are quite a..." Mayor Rindell pauses for effect, "...diverse band, are you not? Three men, an elf, a dwarf, and a halfling no less? I have to admit, that's a new one for me. What do you call yourselves?" he says, idly twirling a finger in the air.
 
Last edited:

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
590
Reaction score
1,017
"Greetings your honour," replies Orym politely, "If you mean what do we call ourselves collectively I have no immediate answer for you. I, personally, am Orym of House Silith, a humble visitor in your, er, fair township. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,086
Reaction score
2,715
"Hildegard of Redlock Master Mayor. Thank you for permitting our descent into Stonehell" Hildegard says giving a curt nod at the end.
 

Tulpa Girl

Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
691
Reaction score
1,475
"Tessa... Thornwick," the halfling says, a bit of a pause as if she momentarily forgot that she should include her surname. "From Bren's Garden," she adds, after another slightly uncomfortable pause.
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
2,623
Reaction score
4,814
"Greetings your honour," replies Orym politely, "If you mean what do we call ourselves collectively I have no immediate answer for you."
"Ah, that is well. The name is not so important as the deed, am I right? Perhaps your company shall earn its name through its deeds."

After listening to your introductions, the Mayor continues.

"We are well-met, adventurers. I am Lord of Ogdenburg, Mayor Rindell, and I welcome you to our metropolis. I am glad to see that your all possess the courtesy of the storybooks. I was concerned that you would not make it on time, but like the heroes of old, you arrived in the nick!

"In any case, I'm sure Mr. Darrow and Mr. Yew have spoken with you about the terms and the other small matters. I'd also like to add that since you've presented yourself to me, let us say that you have made the deadline. You can enter Stonehell whenever you want just so long as you take care of your obligations to Ogdenburg on time. Yes?

"Do you have any questions for me, adventurers? I have an appointment to prepare for so sadly I cannot tarry overlong, much as I would love to hear your tales of derring-do."

Mayor Rindell pauses meaningfully to give you a chance to speak.
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,086
Reaction score
2,715
"Well I do have some. How far down have previous parties gone? Any word on what they've faced down there?"
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
2,623
Reaction score
4,814
"Hmmmyes. Indeed, these are good questions. The sort of questions that a real adventurer would ask. Yes, let me think. I do believe that the last group had reached the third floor before we stopped hearing from them. Darrow, what is the record?" asks Mayor Rindell.

"Six, your Excellency."

"Right, six!" the Mayor continues. "That's the record, nobody has made it deeper. Although I don't know if it goes any deeper and I don't believe that anyone does." Darrow nods sagely.

Rindell leans back in a pose of thoughtful pondering. "And what did they find? Let me see, I know they fought some monsters. I suppose that much is obvious. There were some of the unquiet dead if I recall - they brought a holy avatar with them, so that wasn't much of a bother. Darrow, what else?"

The courtier looks nonplussed. "I'm at a loss, Excellency. I believe they ran into all manner of...creatures..." he trails off.

Yew chimes in, "Your Excellency, I believe that they encountered a number of different kinds of madmen. Cannibals, cultists, perhaps some others?" he offers.

Darrow and the Mayor look at the younger Yew sharply. "Upstart! Nobody likes a gloryhound, Yew," pronounces the Mayor. "But yes, I believe that is correct. There were several tribes of madmen living in Stonehell...you can tell they are mad because they choose to live in Stonehell. Ha ha!" Mayor Rindell looks quite pleased with himself. Then a sudden thought strikes him.

"Kobolds! That's right, all the adventurers have mentioned the kobolds. I believe they're not much of a peril, though. They're mostly just ...there," says the Mayor, waving his hands to indicate the surrounding environment.

"Does that help? I do believe that it shall. Forewarned is forearmed, I always say. Yes," Rindell says with finality.

"I'm sure Darrow and the overweening Yew can fill in any more details. I simply must run. Again, heroes, welcome to Ogdenburg! All hail your glorious arrival and know that you will keep us safe from the kobolds and madmen and return with riches aplenty!"

With that, the Mayor rises, and his honor guard take positions around him, imposing with their gleaming visors down. He departs, and Mr. Darrow approaches the party.

"Now remember, the Truman brothers can ferry you to the dungeon when you are ready. Even though His Excellency has given you leave to depart when you wish, please let me know when you do so, and when you return. One party died on their first expedition and nobody realized it for three months. The guards ate naught but turnips until the situation was rectified," Darrow says, eyebrows arched meaningfully.

Mr. Darrow and Mr. Yew dip their heads with the minimum of courtesy, indicating that they have concluded their business with you.

OOC: I won't be this verbose very often, but for now I'm just setting the scene and mood.
 
Last edited:

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
722
Reaction score
1,337
"Brontes of Brineville, pleased to meetcha yeronner", Bron mutters under his breath as he sullenly lurks at the rear of the party. Anyone who's traveled with the fighter for a spell knows that he has a deep distrust of lawful authority or "The Laws" as he calls them. He seethes quietly through the interview lest he blurt out something untoward around these Duplicitous Fops (that's what his patron the pirate queen calls them). The moment the fops are out of earshot he's going to ask the rest of the party what the hell a kobold is and whether they can be reasoned with at all.
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,793
Reaction score
6,268
Egare takes his place in the back of the assembled group dressed plainly. Doing his best to draw no attention and very grateful that the Mayor had no real interest in getting to know him, Egare watches the communication transpire.
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
2,623
Reaction score
4,814
You are allowed to let yourselves out of the Mayor's Hall. You're now out in the Judgement Square in the middle of the day, and the streets are loud with the sounds of work crews and the general hubbub.

Your situation is thus:

You are carrying everything that you own and are thus not currently lodged anywhere. If you go back to the Left Bastard, you can lodge in the common room and receive two lousy meals for 1 SP per day. For 5 SP per day, you can get a private room with questionable hygiene and minimal security.

From here, let me know what you want to do! Be aware that you have one month to earn the 100 GP to keep your delving license. I'm guessing you'll want to do some prep and then head to the dungeon via the Truman brothers ferry, so you can discuss among yourselves and just let me know what you decide to do.
 
Last edited:

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
722
Reaction score
1,337
Bron wants to head to the 'Bastard, spending some coin buying drinks to lure and secure a henchman. Then a quick shopping trip to round out some last minute gear. Once his business is resolved he will push to depart for the ferry as soon as possible unless someone has a compelling reason for staying longer.

OOC
Hey guys I have a concern I'd like to discuss before we set out.

We don't have much of a front line and I'm afraid we're gonna get murdered in our first encounter with kobolds or dungeon vermin. AC makes a huge difference in B/X and one or two hits is enough to bring down any 1st level character; I strongly recommend that everyone wear the heaviest armor allowed by their class. I'm not trying to be bossy, I simply want to save someone from the huge disappointment of an avoidable death.

Hildegard (warlock) No gear listed. IIRC she can wear plate and shield; with 3 hp I think it's wise!
Bron (fighter) Plate + shield
Tessa (halfling) Chain + shield.
Egare (thief) Leather.
Orym (elf) Chain. If you ditch the shortbow you can upgrade to plate + shield*; the AC boost from 5 to 2 will keep you alive longer.
Copperhand (dwarf) Leather. I suggest upgrading to at least chain + shield, bumping you from AC 7 to a respectable AC 4.

Random thoughts:

A common tactic is having the short demihumans in the front rank so a second rank of humans or elves can safely lob spears, flaming oil or whatever over their heads.

A sling is 2gp and stones are free.

Flasks of oil are 2gp a pop and do d8 damage over 2 rounds when lit on fire and used as a grenade. That's huge. Visibility and line of sight are usually pretty crappy in a dungeon (visibility caps at the 30' radius of torches and lanterns) so the shorter ranges of thrown weapons isn't as big a disadvantage as one might think.

@Edgewise
Can torches be carried in a shield hand?
*Elves can wear plate and cast spells AFAIK. I don't have OSE I only have B/X so please correct me if I am wrong.
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,086
Reaction score
2,715
OOC: Sorry forgot to write equipment into the post. Done now. Plate and Shield indeed. I have Javelins as well. Sounds like a good analysis @Brock Savage

Hildegard heads off with Bron to see what henchmen are gathered.

"Well pirate, what are you thinking? Somebody good with a crossbow perhaps or a heavy infantryman to secure our front line?"
 

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
722
Reaction score
1,337
Bron waits in case anyone else wants to join him at the whorehouse. Meanwhile he answers Hildegard, "I don't know if we'll find any professional mercenaries but if we do, I will certainly make them an offer; everyone knows the gods always favor the big battalions." He shrugs, "At the very least I think can rustle up a down-and-out peasant or two to hold a torch and spear along with some supplies. I have a feeling it's gonna be dark as a coal miner's arse down there." He adds, "We should probably decide as a group how we are going to handle 'unlicensed' adventurers."
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
2,623
Reaction score
4,814
Bron wants to head to the 'Bastard, spending some coin buying drinks to lure and secure a henchman.
You probably want to hit more than just one tavern to get a good selection. I came up with a pretty simple system of retainer quality, availability and prices. Just let me know what are your qualifications and I'll tell you what's available after a day of trawling the alehouses.
Flasks of oil are 2gp a pop and do d8 damage over 2 rounds when lit on fire and used as a grenade.
Is that so? That seems like a lot. I'll have to check. If that's the case, I may do some houseruling, because that makes lamp oil sound like napalm.
Can torches be carried in a shield hand?
Nope. Even if you have the type of shield where your off-hand is not actually holding a strap, it would be a real pain in combat.
*Elves can wear plate and cast spells AFAIK. I don't have OSE I only have B/X so please correct me if I am wrong.
Yup. On a related note, I just checked and I was shocked at how cheap plate is in BX/OSE. Everyone is free to wear what they want, but just be aware that it may be more affordable than you think.

However, also be aware that plate armor must be customized to the wearer, and may take several weeks to prepare. This is not the case for leather or chain. If you already owned a suit before you arrived, this isn't an issue.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,793
Reaction score
6,268
Traditionally flaming oil flasks were the great level one equalizer. But it always pays to remember what's good for the goose is good for the gander. (Which I happen to believe is a quick fiery death). Meaning we should expect afor mentioned kobolds to be fluent grenadiers and as liberal in the use of oil flasks as we are.

Also you either need a tall ceiling or open area to throw any distance. After that flaming oil becomes better as a method of defending your retreat.
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
2,623
Reaction score
4,814
Traditionally flaming oil flasks were the great level one equalizer. But it always pays to remember what's good for the goose is good for the gander. (Which I happen to believe is a quick fiery death). Meaning we should expect afor mentioned kobolds to be fluent grenadiers and as liberal in the use of oil flasks as we are.

Also you either need a tall ceiling or open area to throw any distance. After that flaming oil becomes better as a method of defending your retreat.
I'll...allow it for now. In general I'm going to defer to tradition on the mechanics, but I have my eye on this particular one.
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
590
Reaction score
1,017
You probably want to hit more than just one tavern to get a good selection. I came up with a pretty simple system of retainer quality, availability and prices. Just let me know what are your qualifications and I'll tell you what's available after a day of trawling the alehouses.
Orym is up for exploring the town and hitting a few taverns. He would personally like to retain the services of at least one Fighter (level 1) to position between himself and whatever is trying to stick pointy things into him. He has no intention of ever being anywhere near the front line of the party*. He would also like to see if he can pick up any more rumours about Stonehell while carousing.

(*Best to think of him as a slightly less squishy MU who can (just about) use a bow. Also, it seems like we should all be in agreement about hiring retainers as they typically get a share of the loot and thus it's a decision that affects the whole group.)
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,793
Reaction score
6,268
I'll...allow it for now. In general I'm going to defer to tradition on the mechanics, but I have my eye on this particular one.
It's strong and as a DM you have to take it into consideration but like I said it goes both ways. We have to watch out for kobolds lobbing them too.
 

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
722
Reaction score
1,337
@Edgewise
Thanks for the reply. Yea IIRC flaming flasks of oil are the most damaging mundane weapon in the game outside of siege weapons. Magic users often run around lobbing those from the rear like ersatz cantrips. I didn't want to abuse it by suggesting something like hauling a barrel of it into the dungeon because frankly that seems highly implausible (and dangerous) in practice. My fellow players will probably get mad but I agree that B/X oil feels like naptha or Greek Fire; whale oil or olive oil wouldn't light up like that.
 

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
722
Reaction score
1,337
He would personally like to retain the services of at least one Fighter (level 1) to position between himself and whatever is trying to stick pointy things into him. He has no intention of ever being anywhere near the front line of the party*.
Mercenaries who are legit Fighters cost a lot of gold and often want a partial share of the loot. For that kind of investment I want him on the front line, not bodyguarding. If you're paying the merc's cut out of your share then sure, do what you want.

I was thinking about hiring some one or two peasants desperate for cash. They dont fight, they don't get shares, they are just extra hands and strong backs. I'm cool with hiring a legit Fighter if we can find one to bolster the front line so long as you guys are cool with coughing up a partial share of loot.

I'm also not sure how our contract with the Mayor handles hirelings and retainers so maybe one of our resident smart guys should check on that.
 

dokel

Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
590
Reaction score
1,017
Mercenaries who are legit Fighters cost a lot of gold and often want a partial share of the loot. For that kind of investment I want him on the front line, not bodyguarding. If you're paying the merc's cut out of your share then sure, do what you want.

I was thinking about hiring some one or two peasants desperate for cash. They dont fight, they don't get shares, they are just extra hands and strong backs. I'm cool with hiring a legit Fighter if we can find one to bolster the front line so long as you guys are cool with coughing up a partial share of loot.

I'm also not sure how our contract with the Mayor handles hirelings and retainers so maybe one of our resident smart guys should check on that.
I would really appreciate it if you didn't keep telling me the rules of the game. I am aware that a hired Fighter would expect a share of the loot. I mentioned it in my previous post and suggested that we discuss it as a group. In fact, I think discussing things as a group generally would be a really good idea and should be something we do before making any decision that affects the whole group.
 
Last edited:

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
2,623
Reaction score
4,814
FYI on retainers....I have two rough grades of fighting retainers: the “tough” and the “warrior.” I won’t disclose stats but warriors are roughly on par with PCs. Toughs ask for half a share with a 1 GP per day minimum, but warriors want a full share with a 2 GP daily minimum. Not cheap, but probably worth it. And you can probably negotiate.

So it’s true that you guys need to agree on retainers, but that cuts both ways...nobody should speak for the entire group. I’ll roll up availability this evening but it’s ultimately up to youse.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,086
Reaction score
2,715
"At the very least I think can rustle up a down-and-out peasant or two to hold a torch and spear along with some supplies. I have a feeling it's gonna be dark as a coal miner's arse down there." He adds, "We should probably decide as a group how we are going to handle 'unlicensed' adventurers."
"I can check with Darrow what our contract permits" Hildegard says, laughing a bit at the coal miner remark. She'll head with Bron first to assess the peasants they intend hire, looking for strength and a lack of odd behaviour or vibe primarily.
 
Last edited:

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
722
Reaction score
1,337
I would really appreciate it if you didn't keep telling me the rules of the game. I am aware that a hired Fighter would expect a share of the loot. I mentioned it in my previous post and suggested that we discuss it as a group. In fact, I think discussing things as a group generally would be a really good idea and should be something we do before making decisions that affect the whole group.
OOC: Hey @dokel First of all I want to say I'm sorry you feel that way. My intent is not to tell anyone the "right way to play" or boss people around. I want to be clear I'm just bouncing ideas around for open discussion for anyone who cares to take part.

The planning and teamwork is one of my favorite parts of a dungeoncrawl and I (incorrectly?) thought the OOC chatter in this thread was already group discussion to decide a course of action. I'll comply with whatever the group decides, even if it's "Brock, stfu about the hirelings already." :grin:

Ideally I'd love to get an infantryman to bolster the front line AND an armored crossbowman to hold the rear and bodyguard the squishies (assuming we can even afford it of course). At the end of the day however I will respect whatever decision the party makes.
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
2,623
Reaction score
4,814
Hey guys, sorry it took me a while to get back to the thread.

Orym, Bron and Hildegard hit the taverns in search of brave men and women to accompany you to the depths of Stonehell. Despite many boasts over watery beer and fortified wine (-9 SP for drinks, shared among you), you only find six who actually have to sand to follow through on bold words. Although five of them seem to be more heart than wisdom, one woman seems to have actual battlefield experience, though she's the most tight-lipped of the bunch. The five others are willing to settle for half a share or 1 GP per day, while the veteran wants twice that. They are:

Warrior: Bellitus (female)
Toughs: Ingri (female), Ruul (male), Hearthglow (female), Dellum (male), Godsworn (female)

Recruitment precludes shopping for anyone interested in that; these are all-day activities. Anyone who wants to do anything else for the day, let me know. Of course, you can take as much time as you want before heading to Stonehell.

Once we figure out what you're doing for the day, let me know how you are spending the night: common room of the Left Bastard (1 SP), private room of the Left Bastard (5 SP), or something else (?).
 

Simon Hogwood

Puritan Bearbearian
Joined
Aug 20, 2017
Messages
315
Reaction score
513
"Cultists, cannibals, and kobolds," huffs Copperhand, "if those nasty little lizards are about, we'll all want to be in something a bit more tough than cowhide. And no, you can't reason with them" - this he directs at Brom - "they'll scurry away before you get a word out."

OOC: Copperhand is going to spend the rest of the day looking for some suitable chainmail, especially if he can barter his leather armor to offset the cost. He's going to want a private room at the Left Bastard. He's not opposed to hirelings but leaves the exact details to the others.
 

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
722
Reaction score
1,337
Bron addresses his companions privately over a watery beer, ""I'd like to recruit Bellitus to bolster the front line and a couple of the others to serve as needed" he says with a nod to Orym as if to say, which one do you like? He glances about to make sure no else one is listening and continues, "I know, I know, a couple shares is a lot of money- I think it's money well spent but this is a decision for the entire party and I am but a single vote. Maybe we could ask these 6 to meet us bright and early tomorrow morning at the 'Bastard for our final decision so the entire party can weigh in on it. What do you two think?"

"I'll have a private room at the 'Bastard if anyone in the party is broke and needs a place to rest their head." He sips his beer meditatively, "Every day we spend in town is money out of our pockets. That said, we might need to do some last-shopping and errands tomorrow. How does day after tomorrow sound for a tentative departure date?"

@Edgewise
I will adjust wealth on my character write up to represent expenses unless there is a better solution.
Do these mercenaries come equipped or do we have to buy their gear and rations?
Is there anyone in this town who has been to the dungeon before? I have basic questions like is there a decent camp site near the entrance?
 
Last edited:

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
2,623
Reaction score
4,814
Copperhand is going to spend the rest of the day looking for some suitable chainmail, especially if he can barter his leather armor to offset the cost.
The armorer shrugs "I know of no man nor boy with your particular...dimensions, sir dwarf. I guess I know a guy who could use the leather - 2 GP off the chain. Deal?"
Do these mercenaries come equipped or do we have to buy their gear and rations?
They come equipped and and are responsible for their own feeding. As a bonus, some of them are rumored to have bathed.

-5 SP to you guys taking a private room, and the establishment charges per person. The rooms are pretty cramped, anyway - maximum two people per room.
 
Last edited:

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
2,623
Reaction score
4,814
Note: I've added a party roster here and to the first post in this thread. I'm perfectly happy to grant edit access to any of you; PM with an email address. Just don't edit other players' sheets.
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,086
Reaction score
2,715
Bron addresses his companions privately over a watery beer, ""I'd like to recruit Bellitus to bolster the front line and a couple of the others to serve as needed" he says with a nod to Orym as if to say, which one do you like? He glances about to make sure no else one is listening and continues, "I know, I know, a couple shares is a lot of money- I think it's money well spent but this is a decision for the entire party and I am but a single vote. Maybe we could ask these 6 to meet us bright and early tomorrow morning at the 'Bastard for our final decision so the entire party can weigh in on it. What do you two think?"
"Bellitus seems a strong choice, I'd go with her at the very least...I might have to sell some stuff to keep paying my share of her fee" Hildegard says with a half smile holding out the 7SP she has left after paying for the drinks.

We'll talk to the others in the morning as you said"

Hildegard will also head and stay in a private room for the night.
 

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
722
Reaction score
1,337
"Bellitus seems a strong choice, I'd go with her at the very least...I might have to sell some stuff to keep paying my share of her fee" Hildegard says with a half smile holding out the 7SP she has left after paying for the drinks.

We'll talk to the others in the morning as you said"

Hildegard will also head and stay in a private room for the night.
Bron frowns. "I didn't know you were tapped out. If you or anyone else in the party is broke I can cover them until the dungeon; we can square up once we secure our first haul. The good news is that I believe the mercenaries want a share OR a salary, it's one or the other. We'll make sure in the morning."
 

Tulpa Girl

Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
691
Reaction score
1,475
"I have a few gold pieces that I can contribute to hiring Bellitus," Tessa says. She then adds to Hildegard, "I'll get us a room we can share for tonight."

OOC: down to 4 gp after getting lodgings for herself and Hildegard for the night. Will contribute to hiring any mercenaries/meat shields, but will try to hold on to at least 1 gp, if possible.
 
Last edited:

Simon Hogwood

Puritan Bearbearian
Joined
Aug 20, 2017
Messages
315
Reaction score
513
The armorer shrugs "I know of no man nor boy with your particular...dimensions, sir dwarf. I guess I know a guy who could use the leather - 2 GP off the chain. Deal?"
Not being sure whether that means the chain is actually available and not being able to afford it anyway, Copperhand politely declines. Hopefully, he thinks, what he has will suffice until this venture starts making a profit.

The good news is that I believe the mercenaries want a share OR a salary, it's one or the other. We'll make sure in the morning."
"I, too, can contribute to paying them, but don't forget the ferrymen will want some coin as well."

OOC: I was sure that the exact price of the ferry was written down somewhere, but it doesn't seem to be in the player's document.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,086
Reaction score
2,715
"I have a few gold pieces that I can contribute to hiring Bellitus," Tessa says. She then adds to Hildegard, "I'll get us a room we can share for tonight."
"Very kind, excited or nervous Tessa?"

After a bit of banter with Tessa and the peasants, Hildegard will thank all for a nice evening and head with Tessa for some quality pre-journey sleep.
 
Last edited:

Tulpa Girl

Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
691
Reaction score
1,475
"Very kind, excited or nervous Tessa?"

After a bit of banter with Tessa and the pesants, Hildegard will thanks all for a nice evening and head with Tessa for some quality pre-journey sleep.
"A bit of both," Tessa admits. She was still getting used to dealing with the Big Folk, but Hildegard seemed decent enough, at least.
 

Tulpa Girl

Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
691
Reaction score
1,475
"I, too, can contribute to paying them, but don't forget the ferrymen will want some coin as well."
"We may also want to ask around to see how many of us the ferryman can take on a single trip before deciding how many of them to hire," Tessa suggests.
 
Last edited:

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
722
Reaction score
1,337
Bron nods at Tessa and Copperhand, "Good points, I had completely forgotten about the ferry. I can't imagine them charging more than a gold per head but we should confirm before departure."

He strokes his chin thoughtfully, "Copperhand, we'll keep you safe until you get that chain. Since you're our light specialist I was thinking about how I can help you do your job. Would a shield help out or would you rather keep that hand free for a weapon and lobbing flasks of flaming oil at the enemy?"
 
Last edited:

Simon Hogwood

Puritan Bearbearian
Joined
Aug 20, 2017
Messages
315
Reaction score
513
"Copperhand, we'll keep you safe until you get that chain. Since you're our light specialist I was thinking about how I can help you do your job. Would a shield help out or would you rather keep that hand free for a weapon and lobbing flasks of flaming oil at the enemy?"
"I'd feel safer with my hammer in my hand than a shield."
 

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
722
Reaction score
1,337
"I'd feel safer with my hammer in my hand than a shield."
Bron nods, "Fair enough. I'll take my leave and head for bed. Please give some thought as to when we want to leave town. I want to buy iron rations and some flasks of oil before we depart unless that will significantly delay us. I'll see you tomorrow."
 
Top