Old-School Essentials: Stonehell

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
He turns to ask Bellutus, "Does anyone know how much this ferry costs and their hours of departure?"
Ingri coughs and chimes in. "I asked about the ferry yesterday. It's 1 GP each way per person. You have to pay in advance for the pickup, and you can pay for multiple pickup attempts in case you don't know when you'll be out. They got some kind of deal in case you can't afford it - pay more on the return."
"What do you need to settle up?" Hildegard asks nonchalantly.
Bellitus ponders for a moment and says "I only need the three, sir."

Ingri coughs and chimes in. "I asked about the ferry yesterday. It's 1 GP each way per person. You have to pay in advance for the pickup, and you can pay for multiple pickup attempts in case you don't know when you'll be out. They got some kind of deal in case you can't afford it - pay more on the return."

Bellitus ponders for a moment and says "I only need the three, sir."
Bron rubs the bridge of his nose and thanks Ingri for delivering the news, "A half share for party expenses is begining to sound prudent."

To Bellitus he offers a hearty chuckle, "I think Hildegarde wanted to know your business but that's no concern of ours.

Bron asks the mercenaries if there are some good bars where he catch tales of the dungeon. He reasons that at least one of the adventurers who passed through town got drunk and shared their experiences in Stonehell.

"Well if we're staying another day I expect everyone to meet at the ferry bright and early tomorrow morning. How does 8 bells sound?"

OOC:
Unless there are objections, Bron plans to shop by day, dig for rumours at night, and set out for the ferry early tomorrow morning.

Is there any way someone can run down to the ferry and pre-arrange things with the brothers for a tomorrow morning departure to prevent further delays and expenses?

Last edited:
To Bellitus he offers a hearty chuckle, "I think Hildegarde wanted to know your business but that's no concern of ours.
"Quite right, shouldn't pry. Your business is your own Bellitus"

Is there any way someone can run down to the ferry and pre-arrange things with the brothers for a tomorrow morning departure to prevent further delays and expenses?
Hildegard stands and heads down to the docks to arrange passage for the group for the morning. She'll have a look over the Daegar if she is permitted.

Bron asks the mercenaries if there are some good bars where he catch tales of the dungeon.
Ruul says, "I heard some hard types in Blackbriars talking about things they heard about Stonehell."

"Boy, you ought to be careful talking about those fellas behind their backs. Some of them be very particular about how they are spoken of," warns Bellitus.
OOC: ...Bron plans to shop by day, dig for rumours at night...
OOC: Buy what you like from the standard equipment list, except for plate armor and silver weapons (those are made on request and take more than one day) . Holy water entails a visit to the Shrine of The Four.

In terms of rumors, you head to Blackbriars and buy a couple drinks for some heavily tattooed gang members (2 SP). You learn this:

• Anyone slain in Stonehell will join the ranks of the unquiet dead.
  • There are strange man-like monsters called Zog in Stonehell. They are at war with a completely different kind of man-monster.
Hildegard stands and heads down to the docks to arrange passage for the group for the morning.
Hildi has no trouble finding her way there based on Tessa's directions. She finds a tidy fishing boat that is being prepared, but not for fishing. A group of six boys of varying ages but the same jet-colored hair are busy on the deck doing just that. A young one spots you and fetches his eldest brother.

The fellow is a tall young man named Felix. He is to the point but not unfriendly. Felix says that the Daegar can take you out or back on any day. It leaves in the morning, performs a drop-off or pickup, and returns before dusk. On a pickup, they can afford to wait a few hours before they have to head back.

Like Ingri said, the cost is 1 GP per person, per leg. You pay ahead of time for the trip out plus all the requested return trips. For instance, you could ask the Trumans to try three days in a row if you're really unsure of when you will emerge - this would cost 4 GP per person up-front.

Also like Ingri said, if you can't pay them ahead of time, you can pay them on the return trip. The mark-up is brutal, though: 5 GP each way. If you can't afford that, I hope you brought a good pair of boots, because the Moisture Swamp lives up to its name.

From the dock, the Daegar is clearly a sturdy and clean former fishing boat. It has the queer little mast and perch that is common to the boats of Bronzewater Lake.
She'll have a look over the Daegar if she is permitted.
"Of course," Felix says simply, offering a hand to help you aboard. "Anything in particular I can show you, or would you like to just wander around?"

"So a minimum of 2 gold each for the ferry?" Tessa comments. She does the math in her head, compared to her remaining funds. "I have enough to cover for myself, but not for Hildegard," she says, more directed to Bron, who seems to be more flush than her other compatriots.

"Of course," Felix says simply, offering a hand to help you aboard. "Anything in particular I can show you, or would you like to just wander around?"
"Thanks Felix" Hildegard says stepping aboard with a loud thud from her plate "I'll just have a little look around"

Hildegard will just get a general impression of the boat, a little bit mindful of being attacked while sailing on the way back. On their return trip they'd be quite a target for pirates she thinks to herself, probably best to ask Bron about that.

After Hildegard will thank Felix and the brothers and inform of them of her groups intent to sail tomorrow with their retainers.

If that's alright she'll head back to collect the money for the ferryman, offering the rest of the group the chance to come with in case they fear she might run off with the coin. She'll also offer to sell an oil flask to pay for herself.

If that's alright she'll head back to collect the money for the ferryman, offering the rest of the group the chance to come with in case they fear she might run off with the coin. She'll also offer to sell an oil flask to pay for herself.
Copperhand will take up the offer to return to the ferry with her, and says, "No, no, keep your oil flask - it'll be more useful underground than a couple of extra coins."

If there's time, he's also going to want to pick up some more torches.

Hildegard will just get a general impression of the boat, a little bit mindful of being attacked while sailing on the way back.
The boat is sturdy and swift but definitely not built for naval engagements. There are, however, a collection of about a dozen pikes lashed to the inside railing on the starboard side, and a number of spots around the entire railing with wooden plaques, each with a bracket seemingly for resting an oar or one of the pikes.
If there's time, he's also going to want to pick up some more torches.
No problem; that won't require a big shopping expedition.

Last edited:
Egare follows Hildegard to the boat. "What do folks usually do about return passage?" He asks the boys. "Can I pay for two days but have a day or two between em?" Egare says looking at his remaining three gold coins.

"How many don't return at all?" He asks not sure he wants to know the answer.

"What do folks usually do about return passage?"
“Not sure there’s a ‘usually,’ but first-timers generally don’t spend more than a few hours. We can even wait around on the first day in case you’re out before we leave,” offers Felix.
"Can I pay for two days but have a day or two between em?" Egare says looking at his remaining three gold coins.
“Sure, however you want. Not sure as why you’d do that but it’s your call.”
"How many don't return at all?" He asks not sure he wants to know the answer.
Felix pauses to think. “Most of the time they come back. They make good money and return in high spirits. But most of em keep rolling the dice, and so...” he shrugs.

OOC:

I'm covering expenses for Hildegarde and the mercenaries. I don't advise sticking around in the dungeon more than 8 hours or so on our first attempt.

Edgewise Edgewise here are my expenses:

Two-way ferry passage for Bron, Hildegarde, and mercenaries x4 (12)
Room and Board for Bron and Hildegarde (1)
Blackbriars (.2)
Large Sack (2)
Bottle of horah (.5)
Small Sack (1) containing:
  • Torches x6 (1)
  • Tinderbox (3)
  • Flask of Oil x4 (8)
Total gold spent is 28 gold 7 silver.

Last edited:
No problem; that won't require a big shopping expedition.
Then I'm going to go ahead and bump his torch count up by a dozen. With his ferry fee and another night's accommodations, I believe that takes Copperhand's ready cash down by GP4.5.

Please advise on cost of bottle of liquor so I can update my profile.
My bad; I missed this earlier today. Ogdenburg doesn't have whiskey; instead they have wine, beer, mead and a potent liquor called horah. Horah is basically a wine which has been heavily fortified with a potent spiced liquor that tastes of anise and cinnamon. It's as strong as a distilled spirit, and costs 5 SP per bottle.
Then I'm going to go ahead and bump his torch count up by a dozen.
I see you now have 23 torches. That seems a little bulky to me. I loathe encumbrance rules, which is nice because OSE has some very simplified mechanics which I tweak ever-so-slightly.

I should give everyone's sheet a look and apply encumbrance concepts. I'm going to use the basic encumbrance rules on OCR p. 23 with a very simple modification. This bases your movement rate on two factors: your armor, and whether or not you are otherwise overburdened. Simply put, a PC is overburdened if they are carrying a whole lot of stuff. This is measured by my common sense based more on awkwardness than weight. Strength doesn't come into play if you're trying to carry five flails, for instance.

Applying this standard, here is current encumbrance:

CharacterArmorBurdenMovement Rate
Orym Silverlightheavynormal60' (20')
Egare Valightover (10' pole)60' (20')
Copperhandlightover (23 torches)60' (20')
Hildegardheavynormal60' (20')
Tessa Thornwickheavynormal60' (20')
Bronheavynormal60' (20')

Funny how that worked out! Egare and Copperhand might want to stay overburdened, though Copperhand probably wants to stow the torches in single container. That way, they can both ditch their burdens quickly if they want a speed upgrade.

Last edited:
OOC: It sounds like business for the day has been accounted for, so I'll advance things into the night. I'm going to assume that everyone is taking the same accommodations as last time; if you can't afford that, just let me know afterwards.

Once again, Hildegard, Bron, Tessa and Copperhand take private rooms (5 SP) and Orym Silverlight and Egare Va take the common room (1 SP) for the night. Everyone sleeps well this time, but unfortunately Orym realizes the next day that some ne'er do well stole one of his oil flasks. Looking around in the morning, Orym doesn't see many people in the common room who look like they would be above taking someone else's oil.

The retainers arrive quite early; Ruul is already eating the Bastard's porridge before any of you. They're still blustering a little, but some of that has been replaced with a nervous edge. Bellitus sits at the end of a bench, fidgeting with her armor clasps and whistling tunelessly.

Once everyone is ready, you head to the Truman ferry. Six of them are on deck, including a very young boy who everyone calls "Sip." Felix is there as well, and he arranges the payment of fares.

OOC: Time for a little accounting. I need to know several things from you guys:
  • How many return days are you arranging for, and when?
  • How much money can each PC contribute to fares (of themselves and other party members)? Just give me the number for now.
The last question is my attempt to simplify this process. If you can give me raw numbers, I'll try to figure out who is covered and who may have to pay on the return. Be aware that the retainers can't currently cover their own fares, but they are willing to count it as an advance on their pay if you can front them.

OOC: Per my previous post, Bron is covering a two-way ferry passage for himself, Hildegarde, and 4 mercenaries for a total of 12 gold. I have already subtracted it from my character sheet.

My 2 coppers. Assuming we leave at 0800 and arrive at 1200*, I vote to arrange for pick up the next day at noon. I realize that seems really short but I think 24 hours is more than enough time for our first dungeon run. I don't claim to have all the answers but here is my reasoning:

• Once inside the dungeon time is precious. Every 20 minutes or so provokes a wandering monster check, risking a dangerous encounter for little benefit. Movement in the dungeon is quite slow but the assumption is that we are moving carefully, exercising noise discipline, etc. So the goal is to get in, quickly find as much treasure as possible, and get out with as little fighting as we can manage.
  • I want to minimize the time we spend waiting for the ferry. Waiting for the ferry is potentially the most dangerous part of the run. Laden with loot, resources spent, and possibly wounded we are at our most vulnerable and easy pickings for bandits or worse.
  • If this run is successful we can explore the possibility of building a camp near the entrance to support longer and repeated forays.
Any thoughts on marching order? For the front line I was thinking Tessa and Copperhand in the 1st rank backed by Bron and Bellitus in the 2nd rank with spears.

*We were advised the ferry takes 4 hours to get us across the lake to the ruined city and dungeon

Last edited:
OOC: Per my previous post, Bron is covering a two-way ferry passage for himself, Hildegarde, and 4 mercenaries for a total of 12 gold. I have already subtracted it from my character sheet.
OK, but I'm trying to get a portrait of the entire party, and you guys haven't collectively committed to a singular pick-up, which could change your total cost. I'll take your answer for now, but if things get complicated, let's try it my way. Is everyone else able to cover themselves?

OK, but I'm trying to get a portrait of the entire party, and you guys haven't collectively committed to a specific pick-up, which could change your total cost. I'll take your answer for now, but if things get complicated, let's try it my way. Is everyone else able to cover themselves?
My apologies, I misunderstood and thought I was making things easier, not complicating them. :grin:

My apologies, I misunderstood and thought I was making things easier, not complicating them. :grin:
None required; it will actually be simpler as long as everyone else can just cover themselves and you reserve a single pick-up. I just hadn't yet waded through all of your comments to get the big picture. I generally skim or skip when you guys are discussing planning with each other, waiting to get the final result at the end.

Egare feels his almost empty purse after giving the ferryman two gold coins.

"A day to make our fortunes or be back at the bottom." He says at Brons suggestion. He nods his approval.

Egare has a silver shy of a gold piece left.

Tessa will pay 2 gp, for both the trip to Stonehell and the return voyage.

(I believe Bron was covering for Hildegard)

A 24 hour timeframe sounds good to her.

OOC: I think that leaves her with 9 sp.

Last edited:
Egare and Copperhand might want to stay overburdened, though Copperhand probably wants to stow the torches in single container. That way, they can both ditch their burdens quickly if they want a speed upgrade.
I was actually thinking about passing some out to the new hires, but that solution sounds good, too.

Copperhand will go along with the departure and pickup times the rest of the party has settled on.

I was actually thinking about passing some out to the new hires, but that solution sounds good, too.
I was thinking the same thing. I even bought a bag with torches, oil, and tinderbox for a hand off to Ruul in case we're short on torchbearers.

OOC: I believe that everyone's ferry fare is now explicitly accounted for, except for Orym Silverlight. Even though I haven't been tracking changes to his cash, I believe that he has enough, so I'll assume he's covering himself (-2 GP) - let me know if this is not the case. It also sounds like we have a consensus that the boat will return on the following day.

This is probably a good time to request that those who haven't should send me their email address via PM so I can give them write access to the player roster. I ask that you then keep your sheet relatively up to date. It definitely makes life easier for me.

Once all the gold has been handed to Felix Truman, he nods in acknowledgement, and turns to his brothers.

"Cast off, boys! We're all aboard for Stonehell!" With that, you're underway.

The smallest lad, Sip, clambers to the crows nest atop the short mast and starts scanning the water. Felix takes the helm, steering the ship. The other lads lounge about, snapping to attention when Felix calls out an order, no confusion as to whose job it is to respond. A mild southern breeze lends itself to a brisk and smooth journey.

On your way there, one of the brothers, a lanky adolescent named Jib, excitedly rambles to you some details about the destination.

"Felix asked me to fill you guys in with the basic stuff...we've never seen the entrance, but we know a few things that are useful to first-timers like you.

"Once you arrive in the city, head uphill to where the ground is drier and there are more standing walls. South of the highest point is a massive stone gate in front of a little canyon - you'll see plenty of graffiti on it from previous adventurers. Go past that into the canyon and there is a big door towards the back that leads to Stonehell proper.

"There's not much in the canyon, but you might run into a bear that everyone calls 'Coal.' He's big but not very mean, and a lot of adventurers say an appearance by Coal is good luck. So tell him that Jib says 'hi' if you see him!

"For today, we'll hang out for a few hours before heading back, so if you're in-and-out, we may still be here. Otherwise, we should arrive tomorrow about the same time as today. If you don't make that pickup, it's a two-day hike through the swamp - watch out for snakes, leeches, giant wasps, bandits, I think there's a troll...anyway, you get the idea."

Jib pauses to take a few breaths after he's run through his speech. "Any questions?"

Last edited:
To Bron there's nothing quite like watching a capable crew handling a ship like a well-oiled machine. He is broken out if his reverie by Jib's announcement, to which he listens carefully. He thanks the lad, presses a silver piece into his palm, and asks, "How long is the hike from the drop off point to the dungeon entrance?" Gesturing to his companions he adds, "My mates might have some questions for you as well."

“Oh it’s less than a mile, sir,” chimes Jib.

“At least, that’s what we’ve heard,” adds Felix, without turning his head.

“Right...in all the stories it sounds like less than a mile,” Jib hastens to add.

Felix says, “Jib, heat up some tar, I think we might have a small leak below deck.”

“Yes, Felix,” says Jib, bouncing away.

“Let me know if there’s anything else you want to know,” Felix says, addressing the party.

"This city leading up to Stonehell, anything known to lurk in it?"
Felix thinks for a moment. "I would expect so, but most of 'em seem to make a beeline to the dungeon from what others say. Some say it draws evil down into the earth to fester. I would mainly keep an eye out for bushwhackers and unlicensed adventurers. Still, we never put ashore longer than we have to."

Hildegard nods in thanks and heads to the bow to look out toward their destination.

Bron ponders Jib's tale while staring out across the lake at the approaching destination. Suddenly inspired, he asks everyone who is able to please contribute 1 day's rations as an offering to Coal the bear if he makes an appearance. "At the very least", he reasons, "a well-fed bear is safer than a hungry bear," adding, "and maybe he'll stick around a bit and discourage bandits from our backtrail."

Last edited:
Following the southern shore of Bronzewater Lake, you bear witness to the leagues of dank and tangled swamps between Ogdenburg and Stonehell. After several hours of travel in this way, you start catching sight of signs of the forgotten city. Here and there ruined sections of wall jut from the earth like broken teeth, shaded by cypress trees and choked by vines thick as pythons. This goes on long enough that you realize the ancient metropolis must have been of a scale you can scarce imagine.

Eventually, you come to what might have been the harbor of the place, though now it is a rocky beach with a few broken obelisks in the water. The Truman boys furl the sails and break out the oars, slowly steering through the jumbled stone, until they reach a point about thirty yards from the shore.

1571208666531.png
Better late than never: the Truman ferry

"Can't safely sail closer," pronounces Felix. Pointing over his shoulder at a secured rowboat with one thumb, he continues, "We'll row you to shore in two trips."

As he says, the Truman boys row you to shore, leaving you on the quiet beach. "We'll loiter out here for a couple hours and head back if you're still inside. Then we'll be back again tomorrow at about the same time. I hope to see you then," says Felix, showing uncharacteristic concern.

You are in the Nameless City

With that, you are left alone. The lake gently laps at the shore. There are a number of broken buildings in your midst, their stones still right where they had fallen so long ago, covered in moss. The swamp itself is pretty marshy around here, with tall grasses and pools of standing water. Flies buzz everywhere and birds wheel overhead, but otherwise, there is a sense of unnatural quiet.

You appear you be in what used to be a plaza of some sort, with a few collapsed buildings circling it. Patches of uneven cobbling are perfect for tripping over, as several of you soon discover. None of the remaining structures have roofs, as there is more fallen than standing.

1571209072934.png1571209332920.png1571208935975.png
The state of the Nameless City

There's not much of a discernible set of streets and alleys, though you can tell there was a road here that circled the lake, and another that led deeper into the city and uphill to the south. In the eastern distance you can see the top of a tower, decrepit but still standing above the intervening terrain. The swamp looks to grow denser in that direction.

Meanwhile, the Truman ferry has weighed anchor in the bay, and the boys should be able to see you from shore when you're ready to leave.

The retainers gaze around in reverent silence, until Bellitus speaks up. "So, what's the plan, chief?" she says, addressing Hildegard.

Attachments

• 1571208788122.png
    1571208788122.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1571209284818.png
    1571209284818.png
    500.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Egare says "Dad said don't feed the bears. They're lazy and if you feed them they decided it's easier to get food from you than hunt."

While Hildegarde plans Bron tries to make himself useful by scouting ahead with Ruul, never going further than a bowshot away from the main party.
Egare says "Dad said don't feed the bears. They're lazy and if you feed them they decided it's easier to get food from you than hunt."
Bron replies with a grin and taps his head, "Exactly, I'm counting on the bear's laziness and gluttony to work to our advantage."

Last edited:
There's not much of a discernible set of streets and alleys, though you can tell there was a road here that circled the lake, and another that led deeper into the city and uphill to the south
-----------------
The retainers gaze around in reverent silence, until Bellitus speaks up. "So, what's the plan, chief?" she says, addressing Hildegard.
Hildegard gazes around at the city, taking it in for a moment. Then points South down the now worn street.

"Into the city and uphill to higher ground like the lad on the boat told us. Let's just see what the pirate finds first before we head on"

Hildegard keeps gazing around and listens carefully for any unusual sound.

OOC:
The language of the Ultimate Empire, is that lost or would it be a sort of language known to the educated elite? Is the common we speak descended from it?

Bron replies with a grin and taps his head, "Exactly, I'm counting on the bear's laziness and gluttony to work to our advantage."
Egare looks quizzically at Bron before saying "You want to have a bear follow us around begging for food? It's your food but I wouldn't do it"

He tries his best to blend into the group and look like a lowly porter.

OOC: I'm going to assume Bron doesn't see anything noteworthy before returning to Hildegarde for orders.

Bron and the mercenaries will advance according to Hildegarde's instructions, forming a skirmish line in front of the party* with Bellitus and Bron at the center. Ruul will follow up behind the party.

*party in this case meaning the PCs

All OOC...

Hey gang, apologies for the radio silence, but I've had a pretty busy day plus lots of network outages (it's raining hard here on Long Island right now). I'll catch up now and respond shortly.

Also, to continue this OOC post, as a first time PbP GM, I'm not sure how to handle party decisions in/near the dungeon. Since every move can be crucial, it's tempting to wait for everyone to weigh in on every decision, but that will slow things down a lot. But I don't want to jump the gun on one player's choices when it could affect everyone. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to post them here or PM me.

While Hildegarde plans Bron tries to make himself useful by scouting ahead with Ruul, never going further than a bowshot away from the main party.
OOC: By "ahead" I'll assume you mean uphill towards the dungeon as instructed. Let me know if you mean differently.

Bron and Ruul quietly head uphill, moving through the weeds past broken blocks and uneven patches of cobbling. It's a little overcast but visibility is good. You get most of the way uphill while staying in shouting distance of the rest of the party. You don't see any sign of significant activity. The "road" crests the hill a couple hundred yards ahead.
"Into the city and uphill to higher ground like the lad on the boat told us. Let's just see what the pirate finds first before we head on"
Bellitus nods sharply and says nothing more.

OOC: Guess there was less to respond to than I thought! OK gang, you're on the threshold of the dungeon now, stay on target. :wink: Thanks for bearing with all the setup - the payoff is just ahead.

All OOC... Also, to continue this OOC post, as a first time PbP GM, I'm not sure how to handle party decisions in/near the dungeon. Since every move can be crucial, it's tempting to wait for everyone to weigh in on every decision, but that will slow things down a lot. But I don't want to jump the gun on one player's choices when it could affect everyone. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to post them here or PM me.
OOC: Your concern is quite valid. My availability to post varies wildly due to the nature of my job; some days are like one long break and other days I'm buried with work from start to finish. Perhaps we can elect a "Caller" to finalize command decisions to keep the game moving along just like in the old days. Back in the day, the Caller was like the "commit" button for the players to DM. I trust anyone in the party who wants to take that role.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back