Old-School Essentials: Stonehell

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
"Kinda like the idea of making sure the cul-de-sac is empty before moving on." Egare says.
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,020
Reaction score
5,556
OOC: I was describing the view of the intersection from the vantage of the crack-filled room because, as a general policy, I am conservative about assuming where you go and what you do. I'd hate to over-narrate you into a deadly trap. :wink:

The party moves into the adjoining intersection to get a better look at their options.

Obvious exits:
  • The right corridor doesn't end in a cul-de-sac but rather a pair of battered double doors.
  • To the left, the hallway reverts to natural cave, and then opens up into a wider cavern. There's a faint blue-green glow within but not enough to illuminate anything.
  • The corridor continues forward beyond the reach of your torches.
  • Behind you is the room with the broken bookcase and cracked surfaces.
Hearthglow mutters "Granny always said 'cave aglow means hell no.'"
 

Simon Hogwood

Puritan Bearbearian
Joined
Aug 20, 2017
Messages
386
Reaction score
645
OOC: I was describing the view of the intersection from the vantage of the crack-filled room because, as a general policy, I am conservative about assuming where you go and what you do. I'd hate to over-narrate you into a deadly trap. :wink:

The party moves into the adjoining intersection to get a better look at their options.

Obvious exits:
  • The right corridor doesn't end in a cul-de-sac but rather a pair of battered double doors.
  • To the left, the hallway reverts to natural cave, and then opens up into a wider cavern. There's a faint blue-green glow within but not enough to illuminate anything.
  • The corridor continues forward beyond the reach of your torches.
  • Behind you is the room with the broken bookcase and cracked surfaces.
Hearthglow mutters "Granny always said 'cave aglow means hell no.'"
OOC: How far down the corridor to the right are the double doors?
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Well the Kobolds don't want us in there, went to the effort of writing a sign in Lissek to 'warn' people about the dragon. Either gold or similar they've hoarded is there or their leader. In which case we either get rich or beat the strongest one here or both. Yeah let's do it"
 

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
841
Reaction score
1,926
"Yeah, let's check out the cave," Tessa says in agreement. "Just gotta look out for..." she pauses, then tuns to Copperhand and asks, "wait, is it stalagmites or stalactites that drop from the roof of a cave? I can never keep them straight."
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,020
Reaction score
5,556
The party turns left at the intersection and enters the natural cave after 10'. The walls and floor are uneven but you can still pick your way across. The shape is roughly rectangular - about 50' wide and 30' deep. The vaulted ceilings have been replaced by hanging stalactites of limestone that drip water into stagnant pools.

The blue-green glow that you saw before is apparently caused by a moss or algae that covers the walls in a thin coat. A rusty metal prong about two feet long juts out of a crack on the opposite wall.

In the right opposite corner is a small twisty cave entrance. You can hear snorting and harsh guttural speech from that direction.

Obvious exits:
  • Back the way you came.
  • Right through the cave in the opposite right corner.
OOC: I got my rights and lefts mixed up again, but it’s now corrected.
 
Last edited:

Simon Hogwood

Puritan Bearbearian
Joined
Aug 20, 2017
Messages
386
Reaction score
645
Tessa . . . tuns to Copperhand and asks, "wait, is it stalagmites or stalactites that drop from the roof of a cave? I can never keep them straight."
"As the old Dwarven proverb goes," Copperhand replies gravely, "Stalactites stick tight to the ceiling. Unless they're piercers, of course . . . " He gives Egare a strange glance, then ambles over to take a closer look at the metal prong.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Egare notices the odd looks and says "Mom was an odd bird. Her dad was a miner. He had some stories I tell ya."
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,020
Reaction score
5,556
Ruul clutches his spear and chokes out "They come!"

A small group of imposing figures ambles out of the entrance to the back of this cave. Though they look mostly like an especially savage band of men, their faces are heavily marked by porcine features.

"Pig-Faces!" spits Bellitus, softly. "So far north of the Blasted Lands!"

The Pig-Faces carry crude axes and brutish clubs capped with long spikes, and they wear a patchwork of filthy armor. The one at the fore has a puckered scar across his snout and affixes you with stupid beady eyes. He reaches out to gesture with a hand missing two fingers but wrapped in bracelets of rattling finger bones.


OOC: This is called a "goedendag"...cute, right?

"BOOZE GIVE!" he commands with a bellow that rumbles like a belch. The rest of the Pig-Faces fan out into the corner of the room with the exit at their backs.
 
Last edited:

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
751
Reaction score
1,388
Bron readies his spear to hurl at the closest rank n' file pig-face in case fighting breaks out but says to the party, "Let's try to make a deal with these guys." He tells the mercs to keep steady and wait for Hildegarde's orders.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"I'm all for making a deal pirate" Hildegard says to Bron as she steps forward no weapons drawn.

"BOOZE GIVE" she says nodding, gesturing for somebody to hand her some while maintaining eye contact with the pig-face leader.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Egare does his best to fade into the background.
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,020
Reaction score
5,556
"BOOZE GIVE" she says nodding, gesturing for somebody to hand her some while maintaining eye contact with the pig-face leader.
The Pig-Face flashes a wicked grin, it's teeth filed like a quiver full of yellow flint arrowheads.
Egare does his best to fade into the background.
Egare falls back to the rear, although he currently is being watched by a Pig-Face with a broken tusk.
 

Simon Hogwood

Puritan Bearbearian
Joined
Aug 20, 2017
Messages
386
Reaction score
645
Copperhand inches back into formation and readies himself for the fight that's sure to break out as soon as the Pig-Faces realize that the party gave all their booze to the kobolds.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Egare whispers to the back ranks "Maybe tell them the kobolds got it all. We'll help them take it back."
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,020
Reaction score
5,556
The lead Pig-Face waits expectantly, his grin slowly starting to fade.

Bellitus looks around the group. "Boss, did you want a special bottle of booze? Something nice and hot?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"I might in a minute" Hildegard says with no change in her expression "Tess any wine in that wineskin?"
 

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
841
Reaction score
1,926
"Unfortunately, no," Tessa responds in a low but even tone.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Alright then, no problem..." Hildegard thinks about how to convey that the kobolds took it.

"LITTLE MEN TAKE BOOZE. THAT WAY" she points back the way the came.

In the event that this is not understand:
"Alright everybody get ready. Bellitus give them some of your home brew"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Egare hears the comments on home brew and infers the request. He finds an oil flask and asks to have a torch so he can "look" at the flask. On Hildegard's orders he'll light and toss it into their ranks.
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,020
Reaction score
5,556
The Pig-Faces look on greedily as Egare pulls the flask out of his pack.As he pantomimes inspecting its label with a torch while lighting the dangling taper, they lean forward in anticipation. When Egare quickly hucks it at the lead Pig-Face, they bellow with shock and rage.

OOC: @Bunch, roll to hit AC 6. You get a free surprise attack, you sneaky bastard.

@Séadna, roll initiative (1d6) for the party. The Pig-Faces roll a 6 (sorry).
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,020
Reaction score
5,556
OK...it will be simultaneous action once the oil is resolved.
 

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
841
Reaction score
1,926
Tessa positions herself in front of Hildegard, hoping to buy the warlock enough time to get off a spell uninterrupted.

OOC: how many pig-faces do we have to deal with here?
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
The Pig-Faces look on greedily as Egare pulls the flask out of his pack.As he pantomimes inspecting its label with a torch while lighting the dangling taper, they lean forward in anticipation. When Egare quickly hucks it at the lead Pig-Face, they bellow with shock and rage.

OOC: @Bunch, roll to hit AC 6. You get a free surprise attack, you sneaky bastard.

@Séadna, roll initiative (1d6) for the party. The Pig-Faces roll a 6 (sorry).
D20= 19!
I'm aiming for any that might be bunched together. Maybe get some splash damage.
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,020
Reaction score
5,556
I'm aiming for any that might be bunched together. Maybe get some splash damage.
If you want to do a splash that can catch multiple opponents, I assume you throw it at the floor between them. That requires a hit roll against all three and the damage of a hit is half (1d4 instead of 1d8). So you can do 1d8 to the chief or roll to attack two adjacent Pig-Faces for 1d4 for each hit.

EDIT: Keep in mind that damage from splashes occurs over two rounds. My reading is that it doesn't happen twice (2d8?!) but half damage each round for two rounds.

I'm going to be a bit busy tonight until around 10PM EST so please everyone let me know what you want to do in combat. Then I can resolve the first round or two when I get home.
 

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
841
Reaction score
1,926
Tessa will hold position in front of Hildegard - she will attack any pig-faces that advance within range, but she won't break ranks to go to them.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
@Tulpa Girl , sorry should have said earlier if it changes your decision. I don't have spells yet, not until 2nd level.

Hildegard will remain in position and lob a javelin at one of the pig-faces if she has a clear shot (i.e. no major risk to hitting Bron or Bellitus).

OOC: Roll to hit if needed as I'll be in bed at 10PM EST: 16, Here
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
If you want to do a splash that can catch multiple opponents, I assume you throw it at the floor between them. That requires a hit roll against all three and the damage of a hit is half (1d4 instead of 1d8). So you can do 1d8 to the chief or roll to attack two adjacent Pig-Faces for 1d4 for each hit.

EDIT: Keep in mind that damage from splashes occurs over two rounds. My reading is that it doesn't happen twice (2d8?!) but half damage each round for two rounds.

I'm going to be a bit busy tonight until around 10PM EST so please everyone let me know what you want to do in combat. Then I can resolve the first round or two when I get home.
He'll go for the leader in that case. Best way to lower moral I think.
 
Top