Old School Inspirational Art Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Can't go wrong with a bit of Russ Nicholson.

As far as I'm concerned, his is the only correct visual interpretation of the Githyanki.

1051.jpg

That's not Zak. I like the handy crabs better than anything of Zak's.

I don't find anything particularly punk about Zak or his work, other than his hair style. Maybe it's my proximity to the New York art scene, but he just seems like an aging art school kid.

Now, going back the '90s, Hōl is punkier than anything Zak has ever done.
61ZXxMdadHL._AC_SY780_.jpg
"Now that is interesting. Have you gone through my portfolio? Which specific pictures have you compared to this one to declare that it's 'punkier than anything Zak's ever done', and if not, what are your grounds for that assessment? Answer now or edit that post!"

...maybe I should have slept more.

The recent Quickstart Rules featured a nice tribute to that original:

View attachment 55910
My first thought was "hmm, where's this familiar from", BTW:thumbsup:!

"Now that is interesting. Have you gone through my portfolio? Which specific pictures have you compared to this one to declare that it's 'punkier than anything Zak's ever done', and if not, what are your grounds for that assessment? Answer now or edit that post!"
During the brief period when he was posting here, Zak actually responded to a criticism I made with "Have you ever designed an RPG?" which was an odd argument given that he hadn't.

Internet searchings prompted by this thread have made me realise two of the most evocative images I can remember from my early days of gaming were by the same artist, Les Edwards:

TN_Les Edwards - Crypt of the sorcerer.jpg

TN_Les Edwards - Croglin Vampire.jpg

Good on you, Les!

(Sorry for the lo-res.)

EDIT: it looks like the first guy decided to give up being a Necromancer and get a regular job. Maybe it had a dental plan. The hair transplant hasn't worked out 100% yet. His customer service skills maybe still need some work, but growth mindset and all that.

Last edited:
Here's another one. This is as close to perfect as you can get for a yeti attack image:

View attachment 56679
The warrior is obviously still drunk and picked up his axe with wrong hand and went to block with said axe. Meanwhile... the shield is confused by its new status as an axe. Want to be warrior is about to be lucky if he only loses his left forearm.

The warrior is obviously still drunk and picked up his axe with wrong hand and went to block with said axe. Meanwhile... the shield is confused by its new status as an axe. Want to be warrior is about to be lucky if he only loses his left forearm.
Nah, he's as good as dead.

100%! Or maybe 99%. After all he did get to where he was at some how. The gawds love a fool a times... at least for entertainment value.
Well, if the yeti bites on that forearm/elbow, he's out. The yeti's weapon hand remains behind his back and it has already swung...:shade:
OTOH*, the yeti seems to be stumbling. Maybe it slipped on the ice?
So it might just miss that forearm, and then he just might manage to reverse the tide...:gunslinger:

*See what I did here:tongue:!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back