Old School Inspirational Art Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I've never seen this Frazetta before, and a cursory googling didn't come up with anything helpful.

View attachment 64134

Neat, though.

I've seen it before, damn if I can recall where and reference to (grumble)

If you can believe what you read on Instagram, it is an image that Frazetta created for a Japanese company making stereo equipment:

In the late 70s, this Japanese stereo company hired me to paint a picture that indicated sound. How do you paint sound? They said do anything that says “sound” because they were selling some stereo equipment. I suggested a warrior on a horse blowing a trumpet. And they said, “Yes, but will it look like sound?” What the hell was I supposed to do? I did this painting, and they proceeded in the final ad to draw in some sound waves, big crude lines right across my beam of light. I didn’t know what to do—they didn’t know what to do.

If you can believe what you read on Instagram, it is an image that Frazetta created for a Japanese company making stereo equipment:
How freaking bizarre, I really doubt that's where I saw it. I wonder if it got used after that someplace on some magazine or book or something. It really does look familiar to me, I was always a big fan of his art dating back to the 70's and his art was distinct enough that anytime I saw it, I knew I was looking at his art.

Later on of course many others took up the same style and you sometimes had to look a bit closer to know for sure if it was Frazetta. Anyhow, fascinating bit of history for sure.

Taking old School to the next level!

This Tumblr of medieval illustrations featuring demons is priceless, even though these fiends from hell look like Fozzie Bear with horns and they seem awfully happy too:

tumblr_mho9prJwPk1rppc0go1_500.jpg

The Beast from Revelations just doesn't inspire much dread when he looks like a seven-headed Sugar Bear:

tumblr_n73cz7IXml1rppc0go1_1280.jpg

"And I beheld The Beast as he rose from the turbulent waters. From his seven maws he bellowed 'Can't get enough of those Sugar Crisps...' "

This Frazetta piece inspired a short D&D game my wife and I played many years ago. I'd love to revisit it with a smoother system and with twenty years of additional gaming experience behind me.
'Men will strip you to the skin,
But the wolves will strip you to the bone'
as the old song says.

Someone owes Caspar David Friedrich some royalties!
abtei im eichwald kaspar d friedrich*.jpg

-- is what I would have said before the last 12 months' hubbub around AI-generated art, learning a bit more about intellectual property rights, and reading about how little human artists get paid, then and now.
:quiet:

That first picture could have been the cover of my Trapper Keeper it is so 80s.
Please re-read: don't look old-school to me:thumbsup:!

I've never claimed to be the ultimate authority on all things arts-y.

Attachments

• 1705279423945.png
    1705279423945.png
    460.6 KB · Views: 4
Recent discussion of the title "Beyond the Fields We Know" reminded me that John Ford wrote a column on gaming for Asimov's Science Fiction when it started. The second installment (July, 1979) was "On Evenings Beyond the Fields We Know" and it had interior art by George Barr:

On Evenings.jpg

Recent discussion of the title "Beyond the Fields We Know" reminded me that John Ford wrote a column on gaming for Asimov's Science Fiction when it started. The second installment (July, 1979) was "On Evenings Beyond the Fields We Know" and it had interior art by George Barr:
I always love pointillist shading.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back