Old School Inspirational Art Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Too much good stuff to appreciate in this thread, I have to stop myself from just gorging on it and take a more leisurely look later. I like pretty much all the OSR and weird fantasy stuff.

Stefan Poag
Fallen-Star-p15-death-of-psikan-72dpi.jpg

Simon Roy
glxyHKH.jpg

Roy's comics have provided some inspiration as well, this is from Tiger Lung:

tigerlung-trip.jpg

Evlyn Moreau continues to make wonderful art, her Patreon drawings are terrific but I'm not sure if they're kosher to share here. She is working on a Mothership zine and her own cyberpunk game/zine.

I love images like this one:
arduin-combat-jpg.23558

That's a dungeon scene that could easily be mapped out on some simple graph paper. Standard doors, pit trap, bridge, stairs up and down. But there's action happening in every direction, it's so much more dynamic than people often think when imagining old school dungeon crawls.

I love images like this one:
arduin-combat-jpg.23558

That's a dungeon scene that could easily be mapped out on some simple graph paper. Standard doors, pit trap, bridge, stairs up and down. But there's action happening in every direction, it's so much more dynamic than people often think when imagining old school dungeon crawls.

I dunno, party separated, all hell breaking loose on every front...
2629E065-ABAD-4EBD-B35C-6E41FB5BB9E4.jpeg

So I have a question about inspirational art... How have you used art like this in a game? I was super attracted to Everway because of the art card aspect (and I have a huge art card collection as a result), but then that game didn't pan out, and these days I almost never utilize inspirational art, though the other night I did grab some cave entrance pictures to illustrate my Traveller game, having found a real place with caves like I wanted and then some pictures of the entrances.

Has anyone taken art like what has been presented and written up a scenario based on it and then shown the players the art?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back