Online superhero RPG / Sentinels of the Southwest

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
As discussed in this thread: https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/sentinels-of-the-southwest.4975/#post-197874

My time zone is Pacific Standard Time.

We're talking over what schedule could work: currently the best days for me are Monday, Tuesday, and Friday nights starting around 8 p.m. I have a job and a family so I would not expect sessions to run past midnight.

We have not chosen a system, but currently the most popular proposed games are DC Heroes and Golden Heroes.

We haven't started making up PCs yet (naturally, since the system hasn't been chosen), but ideally we'd have 4 to 6 PCs. "Sentinels of the Southwest" was just an off-the-cuff name I made up when we started talking about this in some other thread about superheroes, so there is no expectation that you would use it as a team name, although I might refer to the game as such just for ease of identification.

PCs should be created with some mode of transportation (flight powers, a jetpack, a Batmobile, superspeed, etc.) in mind as one scenario may unfold in the Mojave Desert, the next in downtown Phoenix, and another in the Malpaís of New Mexico.

The setting would be our own, although it's possible I will steal ideas from published material and file off the serial numbers.

It would be set in the here and now, but the tone would be Bronze Age and PCs are expected to be the good guys. They don't kill on purpose, they try to do the right thing, they wear brightly colored tights, etc. No gun-wielding murderers in long leather coats, please. And although it takes place today, any references to current events will be vague if they occur at all. Backstories are best kept brief so we can add to them or modify them as things unfold. I'd also like to use subplots as per DC Heroes so there's more to the PCs than just the fight of the week.

The main point of this thread is to see who is interested in playing and what game system is preferred. Additionally, I could use some suggestions for what free online gaming site/service would be good as I have none in mind after learning Zoom has a 40-minute meeting limit.

Last edited:
Man, I am so in. Schedule allowing. As I said, Fridays are no good for me, so if Friday is what works best for everyone else, then I'd have to bow out. Otherwise, playing a scenario set (even partially) in downtown Phoenix would be a dream come true for me!

I have a paid Zoom account, so if you wouldn't mind someone else hosting, there won't be a limit. Otherwise, if you'd rather host, Zoom is fifteen bucks a month, and you can record up to 1GB for that, roughly 3-4 hours. My current group uses Discord, but we do audio only (Mainly because the internet sucks in my neighborhood, but we bought another house about 3/4 of a mile away, where it's much better. Were half-in each place, maybe more in the old place, but I don't mind schlepping my computer to the new place if need be (I've already done it a couple of times), and I post the occasional pic (flavor/maps). Not sure if you're looking to do audio only, but Discord works fine for that. Roll20, too, if that's all you need. Honestly, in my experience (irrespective of neighborhood), there's always gonna be one person who's having trouble, whatever platfor you're on. My last group routinely had to check each sesh to see which platform was gonna be the least wonky TONIGHT. Some nights it was Skype, some nights Discord, etc.

For system, I'd love to try DC Heroes, but you'll never hear me complain about Golden Heroes, and I am familiar with it, so it might make things flow easier.

I’m in, barring any unforeseen scheduling snafus. Don’t really care what night, can do most any. Would need to bail out by 11pm pacific standard though UNLESS we were gaming on a night I don’t work the next morning. I work 12 hour shifts, 6am to 6pm mountain standard. BUT my days off are Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday one week, then the next week I’m off Wednesday and Thursday. Then repeat. So essentially every other week I’m off Monday and Tuesday, And Fri-Sun and the the alternate weeks I’m off Wed-Thu. If we play on a Monday and it is the week I have Monday and Tuesday off, I can play later. Otherwise, midnight would be my limit (11pm pacific).

For system, I don’t really have much of a preference. I’ve got all the games you mentioned except Superworld. But if you wanna use DC Heroes subplots, maybe just go with that game? Whatever you decide though from your list mentioned in the other thread, I’m totally fine with.

I'm good M/T/W/F at those times (its a stretch for me anyday but Monday, otherwise. Fit it to someone else's schedule. I lean more to Golden Heroes having never played it, (and I have a copy around here somewhere), and I used DC a LOT back in the day, but now I only have the Batman RPG, not 2/3E so, I'm okay with that if it's your preference. Edit: I do not have Superworld, I am confusing it with another Super named system :grin: (Not Supersquadron either)

Last edited:
I wouldn't be able to play, because my timezone pretty much prevents that, but I came to wish you all a good time:thumbsup:!

Well, don't expect it to be particularly accurate. This would be the Phoenix of Earth-D.

Bro, I'm living in Texas, even an inaccurate, imaginary P-Town would seem like a little slice of heaven...

I'll leave this solicitation thread alone for at least a week to see if anybody else is interested, but we can also use it to discuss preferences and what not. At the moment it sounds like we have 3 players able to do Mondays.

My impression is the general preference is for DC Heroes. I figure we can go ahead and start with character ideas. If others want to join later, we can sort that out then.

Even though Silverlion Silverlion only has the Batman version, there is not much difference except for power/skill/attribute costs so it's workable. What edition(s) does everyone else have? If we're working from different editions of DC Heroes, I can just check the power/skill/attribute costs to see if anyone paid more or less than he should have and then credit anyone who overpaid so they don't get screwed.

For instance: Silverlion Silverlion buys Detective and pays 60 for his skill level based on the Batman RPG costs, but Gringnr Gringnr pays 75 for the same level using 2nd edition DC Heroes prices, I'd just give Gringnr Gringnr 15 more points to spend as he saw fit. I'm not super concerned with everyone's PC costing exactly the same number of points as long as (1) everyone is reasonably happy with his character and (2) every PC is reasonably well-rounded. And if someone gets a refund but doesn't feel the need to spend the extra points, you can just put them in your Hero Point bank for later.

I can use whatever version works best. Its no problem.

I can always give someone the basic background/stat comparisons/etc and let them build it for me for accurate costs, I know there are some powers that are not in Batman (1.5) compared to 2E or 3E. I literally am not that picky as long as I am helping to round out the team. One reason I like MSH I know it backwards and forwards :grin:

I have both 1st and 2nd edition DC Heroes and Batman as well. The only one I don't have is 3rd. I'm good with whatever.

Anyone have any ideas for their characters? I've a few.

I kind of want to play an Icon-type called Captain Arizona. Alternately, CopperTop (or Copperhead, but he's not a snake-themed character, so I dunno), who can turn to living copper (like a low-rent version of Colossus) and conduct and store electricity from the surrounding environs to utilize as a weapon (Arizona produces around 65% of the US copper supply, and IIRC, around 15% of the world's)! Now that I think about it, CopperTop seems more interesting. I'm not sure I've ever seen a "brick" type character with an energy attack. I know one exists, probably several. I just can't recall one right now. Still, an Icon sounds rad, If only to have an Arizona flag-themed costume.

Besides maybe CopperTop can get an endorsement or sponsorship from a battery company...

Captain Copper? Kid Copper? (Just suggestions)

I'm thinking of Dust Devil, (speedster/whirling type)
Big Owl (a man who transforms into a giant owl), Apache. (owl feral powers)
Sasnalkáhi https://abookofcreatures.com/2020/06/08/sasnalkahi/ Navajo Superstrong giant bear
Cricket Kid (Shrinking with sonic blasts and super leap)
Golden Eagle (Flies, Armored hero with sci fi eagle motiv)
Commander Condor (Flying, big wings, claws)
Screech Owl (Flying/Sonic attack)
Red Lynx (Feral power feline sort)
Ghost Tornado (transplant from Texas, Ghostnado? If I didn't have a villain in H&S named Tornado Commando, darnit.)
Wraithwalker (Undead? Ghost? WHo knows)
Or my fall back a psychic of some form :grin:

Edit:
Sandblaster or Sandstone maybe White Sand? (Controls/Summons/Shapes sand and can hit hard with it)
Six-Gun Shaman (Mystic, but his magic is channeled through his guns) or Six-Gun Specter (ghost who shoots ghost bullet, that impact the spirit/mind)
Ghostwolf (Shapeshifter/Lycanthrope in control of it who can walk through walls, track, etc.)
Commander Cranium (old psi character I rolled up for Icons, never got to play.)
Also, American Lion (a humanoid, Panthera atrox, not a true lion but still..)

I'll literally take votes guys :grin:

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to Golden Heroes if everyone is on board with it, but I would give the option of selecting powers after rolling how many you get so you can pursue a concept if you already have one in mind.

While I'm eager to try the DC Heroes system, it certainly wouldn't ruin my day to play Golden Heroes, one of my favorite games.

I'm not opposed to Golden Heroes if everyone is on board with it, but I would give the option of selecting powers after rolling how many you get so you can pursue a concept if you already have one in mind.

If I'm not mistaken, there's an option for the SS to assign each player 8 power rolls as well. If you're trying to preserve some kind of balance, that might be worth considering. Or maybe that's in the first edition of Squadron UK, I don't recall.

I just realized "CopperTop" could be a double entendre. Helloooo, ladies er, fellas!

Our knockoff of DC Comics' S.T.A.R. Labs is Universal Laboratories for Transformative Research Applications, colloquially known as "U.L.T.R.A. Labs." Their regional HQ will probably be in Phoenix or another large city in the area. Got any suggestions or requests for placement?

Captain Copper? Kid Copper? (Just suggestions)

I'm thinking of Dust Devil, (speedster/whirling type)
Big Owl (a man who transforms into a giant owl), Apache. (owl feral powers)
Sasnalkáhi https://abookofcreatures.com/2020/06/08/sasnalkahi/ Navajo Superstrong giant bear
Cricket Kid (Shrinking with sonic blasts and super leap)
Golden Eagle (Flies, Armored hero with sci fi eagle motiv)
Commander Condor (Flying, big wings, claws)
Screech Owl (Flying/Sonic attack)
Red Lynx (Feral power feline sort)
Ghost Tornado (transplant from Texas, Ghostnado? If I didn't have a villain in H&S named Tornado Commando, darnit.)
Wraithwalker (Undead? Ghost? WHo knows)
Or my fall back a psychic of some form :grin:

Edit:
Sandblaster or Sandstone maybe White Sand? (Controls/Summons/Shapes sand and can hit hard with it)
Six-Gun Shaman (Mystic, but his magic is channeled through his guns) or Six-Gun Specter (ghost who shoots ghost bullet, that impact the spirit/mind)
Ghostwolf (Shapeshifter/Lycanthrope in control of it who can walk through walls, track, etc.)
Commander Cranium (old psi character I rolled up for Icons, never got to play.)
Also, American Lion (a humanoid, Panthera atrox, not a true lion but still..)

I'll literally take votes guys :grin:

A few more suggestions:

Haboob- this is what Arizonans call a dust devil. I believe the origin of the word is actually African, and I do not know how it came to be used in AZ. Wind (energy attack, flight, limited telekinesis, etc.) and sand (as darkness). Yeah, I know "Dust Devil" works, too, but Haboob is more original, plus it has "boob" in it.

Roadrunner- a speedster with some type of pointed or bladed cestus (the "beak") for fighting.

Mirage- illusionist

Stunslinger- can shoot concussive energy from their hands, or, if you really want to ratchet up the (awesome) corniness, from their index fingers, which they point like a gun.

Tombstone- made of living granite/marble, a brick type.

Cholla- cactus-like hero who can throw their sharp and tenacious barbs.

Also, if any of you know anyone suitable and reliable who might be interested, let him/her know we have room. I checked with a friend of mine but it's no-go.

Just made this for fun on a site I found:
menusign.jpg

Our knockoff of DC Comics' S.T.A.R. Labs is Universal Laboratories for Transformative Research Applications, colloquially known as "U.L.T.R.A. Labs." Their regional HQ will probably be in Phoenix or another large city in the area. Got any suggestions or requests for placement?

Shadow Mountain Reservoir, in NW Phoenix. Totally mundane, but it's sunk into the ground in an almost sci-fi way (building looks about waist high from a distance though it's probably taller), and you can't see it from the street. Its even got a guard shack. I used to see it when I would hike Shadow Mountain.

97e5d6.png

27f3a0.png

ef6ff3.png

Now, if that seems a bit unimpressive, remember that a lot of the building in AZ is designed not to interfere with the landscape.

I'm good with DC Heroes, honestly. It will just need some assistance in making it work. :grin: ....and I don't need MORE ideas man :grin: I've invited a friend, they're adding more stuff, I'll put here IF they don't.

Last edited:
I'm good with DC Heroes, honestly. It will just need some assistance in making it work. :grin:
Okay, let's stick with DC Heroes. You could always roll on the Golden Heroes random charts for inspiration and then create the superhero in DC Heroes. I can check the math against 2nd edition.

Edit: Also, if there is a power you're interested in that isn't listed in Batman, I can look for it in 2nd and 3rd editions.

Last edited:
Here are four simple questions you can answer to get a good grasp on your character (from The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics by Dennis O'Neil):
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
I have found that answering these for PCs and NPCs goes a long way to knowing who they are and helps me roleplay them better.

Alright they suggested:

Chapel of the Holy Cross and Cathedral Rock are in Sedona.

As is the 3-5,000 year old Palatki Heritage Site.

Sedona Vortex. Good mystical origin source.
You even have an iconic duo. Redd Rock and Belle Rock

Okay, so DCH 2e. How many points?
Standard 450 plus whatever you garner from Drawbacks. Just don't go crazy with Drawbacks so you end up with a character who has Guilt, Traumatic Flashbacks, Mistrust, Dark Secret, etc., all in one guy!

1 ) My character wants to aid people less fortunate than himself, who has suffered in or out of the system. His values were instilled by his mother, no father known. (Unless I go with someone undead but I like having relative to bring in.) He and his mom and sisters were in tough places before things changed. (Inherited wealth, one of the family getting a great job. Etc.) I can see him as spending time volunteering places, food lines, or perhaps working in a charity (depending on wealth, maybe starting and funding some.)

2) Who does he love: his mom, sister, and aunt who was always helping them out, also his girlfriend (presuming not undead, I'm leaning away from that anyway. No loner spooks for me.) Names TBD

3) What is he afraid of? I'll get back to this when my character is more filled out and choices made.

4) My character will involve himself in extreme situations because he has the power to do so and try and make a change for the better (Responsibilty of Power)

How many points are we starting off with?

How many points are we starting off with?
Standard 450 plus whatever you garner from Drawbacks. Just don't go crazy with Drawbacks so you end up with a character who has Guilt, Traumatic Flashbacks, Mistrust, Dark Secret, etc., all in one guy!
Fortunately it's the same in Batman, but I'll check the power costs and stuff to make sure no one is getting a raw deal due to any changes they made between editions.

By the by, I have the kernels of several scenarios popping, so once I know what PCs we're working with I can put something together fairly fast. The hardest part (I think) is how the PCs might get drawn into things, so I'm leaving that sketchy for now.

Edit: I should add: superheroes are relatively rare. Unlike DC and Marvel, where you can't cross the street without bumping into a superhero, the ratio is about 1 in a million, so a state like Arizona might have 7 total.

Also, the public and governmental attitude is largely accepting as long as you're do-gooder types and not causing massive collateral damage and casualties. There may still be someone like J. Jonah Jameson with a burr in his saddle, but generally traditional superheroes are viewed favorably.

You can decide if you've been doing it for a while or just started, whether you want to have met or heard of each other, and so on.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean CopperTop has to have a drawback or two.

1. His powers have to be "activated". Unless he is "active", he isn't "powered".

2. He can conduct and store electricity, but he can't generate it? It has to come from somewhere...

Of course, I haven't seen the DCH2e rules yet, so I'll have to look at 'em, to see how this will all work.

Yeah, I mean CopperTop has to have a drawback or two.

1. His powers have to be "activated". Unless he is "active", he isn't "powered".

2. He can conduct and store electricity, but he can't generate it? It has to come from somewhere...

Of course, I haven't seen the DCH2e rules yet, so I'll have to look at 'em, to see how this will all work.
Maybe Energy Absorption with -2 Factor Cost Limitation: Usable Against One Energy Type (Electricity), since exposing yourself to an electrical source is essentially taking an attack, plus a bonus that you store rather than dissipate the APs of the attack up to your APs of the power, then Energy Blast with a limitation that you can only use as many APs as you've absorbed in the past X hours. It would likely require some bookkeeping to keep track of how much you have at any given time.

There might be another way if you read through the powers; that's just the first thing that sprang to mind.

I used an old character name for someone who never got played but fits this guy (except there is no ESP/Clairvoyance power alas, and I couldn't afford precognition.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back