Online superhero RPG / Sentinels of the Southwest

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Geez, you guys have been busy. I wasn't getting updates from this thread for whatever reason and had no idea it had exploded all day today.

DC Heroes sounds good to me. 450 point 2nd edition characters? I'll start looking it over.

I don't have a ton of character ideas just yet, mostly because I haven't given it a ton of thought so far. However, I do kinda like the idea of a speedster. If you don't use it Gringnr Gringnr I might steal that Roadrunner idea in some form. But I'll continue to think it over a bit before committing to an idea.

As far as the area we're talking about, I live in Colorado. I've been to Arizona a few times, New Mexico a bit more frequently, Southern California maybe a dozen times. I have an uncle that lives in Bisbee, AZ. I haven't visited him there but I did when he lived in Tuscon, and spent some time in the Tombstone area.

Edit: I should add: superheroes are relatively rare. Unlike DC and Marvel, where you can't cross the street without bumping into a superhero, the ratio is about 1 in a million, so a state like Arizona might have 7 total.

Does this total include super villains as well? So there are a total of about 7 super-powered individuals in Arizona, counting both good and bad guys? Or is that total just the good guys?

I used an old character name for someone who never got played but fits this guy (except there is no ESP/Clairvoyance power alas, and I couldn't afford precognition.

Depending on what you mean by ESP and clairvoyance, there are these:

Precognition:
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

Remote Sensing:
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg

Does this total include super villains as well? So there are a total of about 7 super-powered individuals in Arizona, counting both good and bad guys? Or is that total just the good guys?
Superpowered good guys. But some of them might have gone elsewhere (Los Angeles or New York, for instance) for more opportunities or to join a team or whatever, so that doesn't necessarily mean every city/state has 1 superhero per million residents.

Geez, you guys have been busy. I wasn't getting updates from this thread for whatever reason and had no idea it had exploded all day today.

DC Heroes sounds good to me. 450 point 2nd edition characters? I'll start looking it over.

I don't have a ton of character ideas just yet, mostly because I haven't given it a ton of thought so far. However, I do kinda like the idea of a speedster. If you don't use it Gringnr Gringnr I might steal that Roadrunner idea in some form. But I'll continue to think it over a bit before committing to an idea.

As far as the area we're talking about, I live in Colorado. I've been to Arizona a few times, New Mexico a bit more frequently, Southern California maybe a dozen times. I have an uncle that lives in Bisbee, AZ. I haven't visited him there but I did when he lived in Tuscon, and spent some time in the Tombstone area.

Feel free to use any of my ideas, with the exception of CopperTop, as that's who I plan to play.

As far as it being set in AZ, Dumarest Dumarest is running the show, and there are several of us, so I hadn't assumed it would be AZ, despite my enthusiastic campaigning for my home state. The whole southwest is beautiful, and tbh New Mexico has some of the most awe-inspiring scenery I've ever seen. Desert cliffs striated in shades of almost coral-like colors.

Texas is very good to me, but I get homesick sometimes...

Couldn't finagle Precog or Remote sensing into it, and still have the level of Mind Blast/Telepathy/Telekinesis, and Keep flight dropped Science (I don't build science stuff), Scholar (Occult) and picked Occultist (Occult Knowledge) only and upped flight and danger sense (hence some foresight.)

Since I don't know what type of foes/scale we're working on this is the best I can do: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZzIsb7AGrdYlmxLnsEGlqnJlRVQzQy1ApVGtfRi1TvA/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone more able to crunch numbers/balance power limitations want to try for me take a shot--go ahead. Oh and we can be located anywhere, my character is just from Sedona, AZ

Last edited:
Also, if someone has time, to help with a build-in more detail, I'd like to try Six-Gun Shaman (Magic themed power pistol foci), he can burn through solid materials (Acid), fire a blast (magic blast or heat lightning), create fog, and bind someone in place (at the minimal) he can also some a ghostly horse but that doesn't need his guns. I've got a backstory, and all that for him that popped into my head last night. I just have no clue how to build that in DC anymore (once upon a time I did.) Unless someone knows a 2E chargen program.

The game isn't set in Arizona. Our starting focus is the American Southwest, but who knows where else you may end up. PCs can be from anywhere in the Southwest. I know Silverlion Silverlion's PC operates out of Sedona, AZ, but that doesn't mean anyone else has to be in that area.

Also, if someone has time, to help with a build-in more detail, I'd like to try Six-Gun Shaman (Magic themed power pistol foci), he can burn through solid materials (Acid), fire a blast (magic blast or heat lightning), create fog, and bind someone in place (at the minimal) he can also some a ghostly horse but that doesn't need his guns. I've got a backstory, and all that for him that popped into my head last night. I just have no clue how to build that in DC anymore (once upon a time I did.) Unless someone knows a 2E chargen program.

I'm doing this for the first time myself...

I'd recommend keeping your concepts simple, especially if the game is still new to you.

Alright here is an attempt at Six-Gun Shaman, whichever works best for the group let me know. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AFpPGU05ibhNMqz7K2pyLEheO0pI4-TEXRdWNMGzNAU/edit?usp=sharing

I know how the system works, it's just I'm rusting with point juggling/linking/etc.

As I didn't know for sure we were doing DC, I rolled up (completely random) this for Golden Heroes, nowhere what I was aiming for but it amuses me:

Ego 15
Strength 12
Dex 15
Vigor 13

HTC 58
HTK 48

Dodge Modifier: +2

Skills Grade 2
-Escapology
-Gymnastics

Force Field Grade 2 (General Barrier/Personal Force Field)

Martial Arts Grade 3 Oriental Martial Arts
1d6HTK+2d6+6 HTC or 2d6+3HTK+1d6HTC at Weapon Class 4

Solidify

Adv. Background
Previous Training
Immortal

Considering the skills/Martial arts/immortality, I figured he was an ancient martial artist tucked away in a monastery until it was attacked and someone cast a spell when he tried to barricade the way using the "Iron Ox" Technique (Solidify) and it turned him to stone they just moved then. Only recently he was freed and is naive about the modern world, but well he can suppress aging/poision/normal death, but not traumatic death.

Last edited:
I'd recommend keeping your concepts simple, especially if the game is still new to you.

So, here's my basic idea:

CopperCell has the following powers:

Energy Absorption (electric)- normally tis does not allow the energy to be diverted, only dissipated. So, I'd need to pay or have a factor increase for that to fuel...

Energy Blast (electricity) - so, my idea is that CopperCell can store and use the absorbed electricity. This would maybe have a factor decrease as you stated previously, since he can only use energy he has absorbed, and only as much as he has absorbed.

Skin Armor- because he can turn to living copper. Like colossus with a patina.

Increased Strength (sic)- I don't see an entry for this specifically. I assume you just buy it up with APs. But, my concept of Copper Cell is that he is only super strong when he switches his power "on". How would I handle that?

Do you find this character concept too complex fopr a beginning character? Or am I just being thick as a brick?

I don't see him having any other powers, but maybe the following skills:
Scientist
Martial Arts (boxing)

So, here's my basic idea:

CopperCell has the following powers:

Energy Absorption (electric)- normally tis does not allow the energy to be diverted, only dissipated. So, I'd need to pay or have a factor increase for that to fuel...

Energy Blast (electricity) - so, my idea is that CopperCell can store and use the absorbed electricity. This would maybe have a factor decrease as you stated previously, since he can only use energy he has absorbed, and only as much as he has absorbed.

Skin Armor- because he can turn to living copper. Like colossus with a patina.

Increased Strength (sic)- I don't see an entry for this specifically. I assume you just buy it up with APs. But, my concept of Copper Cell is that he is only super strong when he switches his power "on". How would I handle that?

Do you find this character concept too complex fopr a beginning character? Or am I just being thick as a brick?

I don't see him having any other powers, but maybe the following skills:
Scientist
Martial Arts (boxing)
Two ways I can think of offhand:

(1) Use a Loss Vulnerability "backwards," i.e., lose attributes and powers in the absence of electricity, which is a little tricky.
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
(2) Create your powered-up form as an alter-ego character (sort of like Captain Marvel to your nonpowered Billy Batson) triggered by absorption of electricity.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

I like the second option. It hadn't occurred to me to have Copper Cell use electricity to power his transformation, but I like it.

I like the second option. It hadn't occurred to me to have Copper Cell use electricity to power his transformation, but I like it.
Does he have a mode of transportation?

An electric 4X4?

You might take flight, give it a limitation "only via electrical wiring" essentially letting you ride the electricity of power lines. Though that may be a challenge if we fight in the lonesome places a lot. (You can surf them essentially, unlike an electric hero who turns into electricity to transport through them.)

Oh and Dumarest I'll probably play Professor Prometheus, mostly because a psychic is simple for me (part of why I avoided precognition, was it is often hard to GM for a lot of games.) Dan Davenport said he liked how Diviners in Art of Wulin (I think that's the game that did it) essentially they set a point where you look forward but it is only true if you have serious trouble in the game and you can rewind and say it was all just a vision. I'd love to work remote sensing in, if you can suggest give me a way.

I'll try to have the character done tomorrow, sorry for the delay.

Oh and Dumarest I'll probably play Professor Prometheus, mostly because a psychic is simple for me (part of why I avoided precognition, was it is often hard to GM for a lot of games.) Dan Davenport said he liked how Diviners in Art of Wulin (I think that's the game that did it) essentially they set a point where you look forward but it is only true if you have serious trouble in the game and you can rewind and say it was all just a vision. I'd love to work remote sensing in, if you can suggest give me a way.
Personally I generally prefer no Precognition anyway, so it's all to the good. It can complicate matters and frustrate players if they expect it to be more useful than it is since even at its best all you get is "a likely version of the future but one that is by no means absolute."

Remote Sensing can be obtained cheaply if you limit how many senses you can use: for instance, if you can only see events but nothing more, it doesn't cost much. Just remember that the APs of the power = the APs of distance and time you are trying to observe so if you buy few APs you will have very limited range and/or time.

Some other cool psychic-type powers to consider are Object Awareness and Postcognition. Object Awareness lets you know the location and surroundings of a familiar object, but you can only be tuned in to one object at a time. Postcognition is that thing you sometimes see in a supernatural story where a character can touch an object like the knife used in a murder and sense what has happened to the object in the past. "I sense that a woman wearing kid gloves was holding this knife...she forcefully plunged it into the back of a man wearing a red cape...he fell to the hardwood floor with the knife lodged in his back...." Sometimes a good way to get clues or confirm suspicions.

I'll cut out smelling and tasting but keep seeing and hearing. How much of a modifier is that -1CS/-2CS?

I'll cut out smelling and tasting but keep seeing and hearing. How much of a modifier is that -1CS/-2CS?
I'd say -1 factor cost since those are the two most useful senses to have.

Makes sense to me. Just trying to stretch my range :grin:

Will we get an extra 45 Hero Points for Background, Description and Personality?

Will we get an extra 45 Hero Points for Background, Description and Personality?
No, but your characters will. :thumbsup:

Make sure you describe (or draw) your costume as it may be referenced at some point.

Also let us know your occupation and any important NPCs you want v̶i̶l̶l̶a̶i̶n̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶e̶n̶d̶a̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ to show up at some point. One of you having an academic or scientific connection would be good, but not strictly necessary.

No, but your characters will. :thumbsup:

Make sure you describe (or draw) your costume as it may be referenced at some point.

Also let us know your occupation and any important NPCs you want v̶i̶l̶l̶a̶i̶n̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶e̶n̶d̶a̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ to show up at some point. One of you having an academic or scientific connection would be good, but not strictly necessary.

I haven’t hammered out a character yet but he could probably have academic or scientific connections. That fits the speedster idea pretty well, if I go that direction.

Dumarest Dumarest - I don’t know if you’ve considered a first session date just yet but I’m off every other Monday. I can probably play on any Monday, even if working, but it would be easier on the off Monday’s for me. My Monday’s that I have off are Sept. 14, 28, Oct. 12, 26, Nov. 9, 23 and so on.

Dumarest Dumarest - I don’t know if you’ve considered a first session date just yet but I’m off every other Monday. I can probably play on any Monday, even if working, but it would be easier on the off Monday’s for me. My Monday’s that I have off are Sept. 14, 28, Oct. 12, 26, Nov. 9, 23 and so on.
Once all the PCs are in place, we'll be able to determine what's a good date to kick off.

Are we getting together tonight?
Not that I'm aware of. I believe we are still waiting on all the PCs to be ready to go before I cobble together an introductory scenario.

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I'm the monkey holding up this circus. It's my mother's birthday today, so light posting. I have the character mostly finished, just need to tighten it up (shave a few hero points) a bit. And write the background/description, etc. I apologize for dragging ass here...

No worries, it was a matter if I could get a nap in..:grin: (Before the game, or just wait to normal sleep hours if we were.)

I should be able to log some screen time today...

And it's gonna be tomorrow anyway, we moved Friday game night to tonight due to scheduling conflicts.

I will be finished with mine tonight I promise

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back