Online superhero RPG / Sentinels of the Southwest

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'll put up an unfinished sketch of my character ASAP.

Also, if my Character resembles a copper Colossus, can I take the Strange Appearance Drawback?

ProfProm.jpg

Professor Prometheus. His entire costume is dark blue, with a gold belt and cloak pin, and white cape. Plus yes his mask "covers" his eyes and nose and mouth--though he can see out/breath well. I haven't finished as I know if I do, it will end the game. Before it starts. (I was thinking of switching to two eye cloak pins at the shoulders/chest, to be less Dr. Strange.)

Should be able to wrap up as soon as I get the answers to those questions, please do not take this as me blaming you for my being slow as fuck. That's on me 100%, obvs.

Better late than pregnant. Say, this "mode of transportation", can it be mundane? Can we buy it with Wealth?
Yes and no. You can't use Wealth to say, "I buy a Maserati" and then have a Maserati permanently available to you. To do that you'd have to spend points and build a car as a gadget. What you can do is make a Wealth roll regularly (every week) to confirm you were able to keep up with your payments and the vehicle wasn't repossessed. If your Wealth score is high enough and the item is inexpensive in comparison to your Wealth score, you should almost never fail* as you only need to get 1 RAP to succeed. You can do the same for other "mundane" stuff you might want to get a hold of now and then, or when you use Gadgetry to try to build something new during the game. That's the upside of Wealth.

*Then again, failing could turn into a good Subplot regarding your finances....
Also, if my Character resembles a copper Colossus, can I take the Strange Appearance Drawback?
Only if he always looks that way, otherwise it's not really a Drawback if he can turn it off at will.

Thanks, deffo close to wrapping up. And I've decided it's an "Always On" power, just to keep things simple...

Should be polished and ready to drive in the morning.

literally working on this right now, printed a fresh worksheet and kind of re-booting here...

How do we calculate initiative?

Workshhet done, character info entered on sheet. Now, I just need to write up a Background, Description and Personality...

literally working on this right now, printed a fresh worksheet and kind of re-booting here...

How do we calculate initiative?

Workshhet done, character info entered on sheet. Now, I just need to write up a Background, Description and Personality...
Base Initiative = DEX + INT + INFL. You can also get permanent bonuses from the Lightning Reflexes advantage and/or the Martial Arts skill. Then you roll 1d10 and add it. Highest total goes first.

You can also spend Hero Points during the game if you want to add to your total in any given phase, but you have to announce how many before you roll. Others can then add as well, so a bidding war can ensue if someone really, really wants to go first.
Webp.net-resizeimage (13).jpg

BATTERY

Alter Ego: Neal O'Neil
Wealth: 6
Motivation: Responsibility of Power
Initiative: 16
Hero Points: 2

DEX: 4 STR: 8 BODY: 7
INT: 7 WILL: 7 MIND: 6
INFL: 3 AURA: 2 SPIRIT: 2

Powers:
Energy Absorption (BOD) 5 (Electricity)
Lightning (STR) 5
Invulnerability (BOD) 5

Skills:
Martial Artist (DEX) 3 (Boxing)
Scientist (INT) 5

Advantages:
Area Knowledge (Pinal County)
Iron Nerves
Scholar

Drawbacks:
Public Identity
Strange Appearance

Background: Battery, AKA Neal O'Neil, is an Arizona native and Mineralogist working as a college professor, researcher and speaker. He also volunteers his time for an environmentalist think tank called Scientists for Responsible Development and Growth. As he became increasingly frustrated by lobbyists' seemingly unstoppable ability to bend law and politics to their will, his interests turned from advocacy to direct action. Protests and demonstrations led to "monkeywrenching" and other less-than-legal activities designed to stymie land developers, miners, and polluters, without harming any people. It was during one of these actions that O'Neil's life would be changed forever.

One night, O'Neil was trespassing on the site of a mining operation run by a company who were using an experimental electrochemical technology designed to detect and leach trace amounts of copper from the earth via powerful electromagnetic impulses. He intended to sabotage the operation, using an EMP generator he had brought along. While looking for a place he could set the device and arm its timer, he discovered evidence that the company was secretly using chemicals that had been banned due to their tendency to contaminate soil and groundwater. He took photos, and decided to collect samples and alert the media and authorities, figuring that he could perhaps get the operation shut down in a (mostly) legal manner with this new evidence. Unfortunately, Neal was discovered and apprehended by corporate security. When the company was alerted to his presence, and made aware of what he had found, a mid-level executive decided that it would be better to "get rid" of O'Neil than to deal with the fines, shutdowns, and legal and publicity issues that would certainly follow the news of his discovery.

Neal was knocked unconscious and left in a pit, where the experimental processes were being conducted, by two guards who had been hsndomely bribed into silence and complicity, as the executive directed them. The plan was to detonate an amount of explosives sufficient to kill him and scatter his body, yet without causing too much (or too expensive) damages. It was to look as though he had died while trying to set a bomb himself, as he accidentally came into contact with a high-voltage wire. The charges were detonated, and O'Neil seemingly vanished in a ball of fiery destruction. But the perfect storm of explosives, the experimental mining processes, banned chemicals, and EMP waves triggered by the exposure of the device he carried to massive amounts of electrical energy, instead transformed O'Neil, through some freak reaction, instead transformed him into a man made of living copper, with the ability to absorb electricity, and discharge it at will! He emerged, dazed and confused, from the pit, and staggered past the horrified and frightened trio of would-be killers into the night.

As he reached his vehicle, he finally caught sight of himself in the rear-view mirror...

Description: He had become a larger, more muscular version of himself, but made entirely of copper that somehow lived! His skin was hard and metallic, the unmistakable hue of copper, in fact. Over time, his short-cropped "hair" (which at this point was seemingly made of metal metal also) began to take on a greenish patina, as had his eyebrows, and the irises of his eyes. Contrary to rumor, he doesn't have pennies for nipples (damn gossip columnists), and he will gladly take off his shirt to prove it. Though always having been fit (being an avid hiker and mountain biker), he has become much stronger as the result of his accident, able to lift semi trucks. He usually goes barefoot, having adopted as his "costume" a singlet-like outfit with an Arisona flag motif: blue from the waist down, with a copper star in the middle, and red and gold stripes fanning up and out from the star. This design is repeated on the back, sans star.

Personality: Battery is a very serious, studious, and somewhat socially awkward individual in his day-to-day life as a Mineralogist (which he has been able to resume, after some difficult period of adjustment, following his near-death experience). He is able to overcome his usually reserved and nerdy nature when acting as a brave, wise-cracking superhero, but this is, to some degree, just that - an act.Those who have encountered Neal both as a scientist and a superhero are often surprised by the stark contrast in his personality from one role to the next. It is as though, when doing his job, he is the man he was before his accident. Having gained superhuman powers, he has forsaken illegal activity, even in the pursuit of justice. He feels a higher calling to bring those who see themselves untouchable, and to defend the natural beauty and purity of the Earth, particularly his native southwest deserts (because he is most familiar with them, but he will defend the environment anywhere he can). He has taken up boxing lessons in an effort to better prepare himself to combat crime, injustice and corruption.

...Thank you for your patience, y'all, I hope it was worth the wait.

As for a vehicle, I see Battery driving a modified electric 4WD vehicle of some sort. It seems to fit his personality, but I'm not sure he can swing the cost...

I believe we are waiting on Toric Toric's character...or did I miss it?

Yeah, I’ve been dragging my feet. My son fell and broke his arm Saturday night so have been dealing with that the last few days. I’ll try to get this done soon.

Best wishes to your son. That sucks, hope he heals quickly.

I'v created a superhero whose arch nemesis is local crackheads trying to steal and sell him...

Toric Toric, take your time. I don't think there is any rush to start. I think I probably need to acquire headphones with a mike built in anyway, plus arrange with Gringnr Gringnr re: hosting Zoom as he mentioned upthread lo these many days ago.

I should most assuredly have something done before the end of this weekend.

Well, while we are still putting things together, maybe we can discuss the setting. As mentioned earlier, superpowered individuals are rare.

Magic exists, but most people don't believe in Doctor Strange-type stuff even if they might believe in something like ghosts or their personal deity.

Ultra-high-tech things (like a suit of Iron Man-style armor) can exist, but they'd be either so dangerous or cost-prohibitive that they haven't changed life for the average person or affected the international military/political balance. For instance, a federal prison capable of holding superpowered villains costs such a ridiculous amount of money to build maintain that there is probably just the one in Death Valley.

What other things do you want to know about?

(Also, feel free to suggest any subplots you'd like to incorporate into the game at some point.)

I'm going to re-read the subplots stuff. It's good stuff. I'll figure some out there as well since we have a bit more time. Edit: I've added two subplots, with some overlap. Take a look and let me know what else I need.

Last edited:
Apologies for me being the one that has dragged this to a near halt. I still haven't made a character. I've given it some thought but haven't sat down to actually put numbers on paper. I haven't felt very creative in the past few weeks and have had a difficult time dreaming up a character that interests me but I'm hoping to remedy that situation this weekend.

When in doubt roll randomly and build? :grin:
http://arcanearcade.com/icons-gen/# (Yes it makes Icons PC's, but it give you an idea to work with)
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/xmanalb/MRPG_Character_Generator.html MSH/FaseRip

Maybe it will help give you ideas?

I rolled:

Insect Control

Power: Power to manipulate all manners of bugs

Super Strength

Power: Produce immense strength with your muscles

• Sonic Scream
    Power: Emitting a powerful sonic boom from the vocal chords.

Now you have the Cicada Crusader!

On another (last generator) I got Hoofed and Superspeed! So go forth Maverick and stamp out evil with might Hooves of justice!

Well...we could always play something else if interest in superheroing has waned.

Interest hasn't waned. Merely been dealing with a bunch of stupid medical issues in the family over the past couple of months, culminating in my kid breaking his arm a few weeks ago. That combined with general blah feelings has had me feeling non-creative and struggling to come up with a character that sounds fun to play. I haven't done anything other than PBP gaming for probably 5 months. That being said, I am finally starting to have some ideas for a character. Additionally I have started to think about running something of my own as well online. I have my kids (22 and almost 16) plus one or two other regulars from the face to face gaming days that would probably play whatever I decide to run and I might open it up to a couple of others as well. I have bunches of games to choose from but lately I've been considering doing some Wild West gaming. I have many Wild West games to choose from but I think I'm partial to using BRP (basic role-play aka the Chaosium CoC rules) from the big gold book or perhaps 3rd edition Boot Hill. This is all still just being kicked around in my head at this point but I am starting to get the itch to run something which in turn is helping me focus on gaming again.

All of this is to say that my interest hasn't waned and I hope to have a character soon. If I get a game of my own hammered out and any of you guys wanted to play, I'd be happy to have you as well.

Last edited:
I tried to make a Superworld character two days ago, not sure if I did it right. Seems a bit odd that better stats gives me more hero points to spend (I made an Invisible, Phasing, Martial Artist, who is apparently day job is as a doctor, I still have a few points to move around for skills, I'm not sure if I could up Hand to Hand somehow since it doesn't give space for it to be increased on the sheet.) I was just really bored. I make super characters when bored. Usually with random roll systems.
But figured why not give this a try?

So unfortunately I have some scheduling issues now that will prevent me from participating at present. Weeknights will be an issue for me for the immediate future and perhaps beyond. I'm probably looking at only having time for anything like this on Saturday and Sunday afternoons and evenings for the time being. And I do have an online game I will be running a couple of Sundays a month during the afternoon for a couple of friends and my kids. My apologies for taking forever to make a character and then ending up with conflicts that will prevent me from playing for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately the weeknight conflicts just popped up though. Hopefully Dumarest Dumarest can find another possible player or perhaps Silverlion Silverlion and Gringnr Gringnr can run some sort of dynamic duo in the interim. If my schedule clears up later and you still have a spot, I'd be happy to jump in.

Silverlion Silverlion and Gringnr Gringnr, what do you think? Do you want to try something else, forge ahead as a duo, or scrap it entirely?

If we continue with just 2 players, it might be better if you worked together to create a contrasting pair of PCs who operate in the same city as some kind of partnership like Power Man & Iron Fist, Captain America & the Falcon, Daredevil & Black Widow, Green Arrow & Black Canary, Green Lantern & Green Arrow, etc. You're kind of halfway there already with one being a mentalist-type and the other a physical type.
Green-Lantern-and-Green-Arrow-Comic-Cover.jpg

I'm good with that if we need to be or more focused characters in a city or who journey across the southwest, what do y'all think?

I am 100% cool with doing a duo, and in case you couldn't tell from my character's allusive name, Green Lantern/Green Arrow was one of my favorite comics. So, I'm down with whatevah. If one or both of you feels that we need to strike out in a different system/direction/whatever, I'm good... If not, I'm also good...

Just checking in, we going forward? :grin:
Need new heroes? Should we color collaberate like GL/GA? :grin:

Just let us know what you feel up to doing Dumarest Dumarest and what we need to do character wise!
Just checking in, we going forward? :grin:
Need new heroes? Should we color collaberate like GL/GA? :grin:
I'm game if you are. Why don't the two of you collaborate on whether you want to be partners or a hero-and-sidekick or what, and either adjust your PC concepts or brew up new ones that would work better. I still like the idea of regional heroes in a less densely superhero-packed Southwest. You can be the go-to superheroes for problems in the area that the big-time New York and L.A. teams are too far away or too busy to handle.

(Sorry for the delay, everyone in the house has been taking turns getting sick--not the Wuhan Flu--including me.)

So, looking at this, we'd both appear to be academic types, which could be an interesting change of pace from the "token nerd" characters in many teams...

True. Interesting. I was considering some duos, like Sword & Sorcery (One who fights well with a sword, one has the "Magic" themed powers since I think the freeform power duplication version of magic is too expensive.) Or Thunder & Lightning (giving them colors maybe so as not to dupe other characters)
We could also go with similar themes, like animal themes (Condor & Cougar?), probably with colors added again. Or opposing powers like Heatstroke/Heatwave and Cold Snap/Freezeforce/Ice something) Or Light & Darkness? If we could theme then Western for the uniqueness that would be cool as well "Sand & Storm?" (One turns to and can reshape a sandy body, the other with weather control?) oh Nightflame and Knight Chill? Sheild and Sword? Dusk & Dawn? Rhyme and Reason?

Personally, I like the characters we have. One is a flying blaster, the other a "brick" type. And together, they fight crime...

Works for me, anyway.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back