OOC: Livonia's Lament

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

opaopajr

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Hi!

Here's where we can talk OOC (like party strategy), post Player Character Sheets -- and discuss their updates, GM adjudication for grey areas, newly created monsters & magical items outside Basic 5e RAW -- and their rationale, and so on.

I leave Bulletin Board, Primary, Secondary, and Distant Locations, and Important NPCs, in "IC: Livonia's Lament" as a reference aid for players. Updates will try to leave a record on these reference posts.

Any public metagame questions can be handled here, and for privacy we have Private Messages ("Conversations").

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Player: AngelsAndAarakocra
Sanya Gandrell
Human Cleric, "Custom Folk Hero" Messenger
Lvl: 1. PB: +2. XP: 180
Saves: WIS, CHA. Align: LG.
HD: d8. HP: 11. AC: 16 in armor, (18 +shield).

STR 15 (+2), DEX 9 (-1), CON 16 (+3), INT 10 (+0), WIS 16 (+3), CHA 16 (+3)

Skills: Animal Handling (bkrd) +5, Insight +5, Persuasion +5, Survival (bkrd) +5.

Tools: Vehicle (land).

Languages: Human Shoshone, Elven Shoshone, Elven Paiute.

Race: All Ability Scores +1. Size: Medium. Speed: 30'. Lang: Common (mother tongue) +1 lang.

Class:
Armor: Light armor, Medium armor, Heavy Armor (Life Domain at 1st Lvl).
Weapons: Simple Weapons.
Saves: WIS, CHA.
Tools: --
Spellcasting: Cantrips, Ritual Casting, Spellcasting Focus, Domain Spells.

Domain - Life: Bonus Prof - Heavy Armor. Disciple of Life - Lv. 1+ heal spells give extra (2+Spell Lv.) HP. Domain Spells - 1st. Bless (30', conc) & Cure Wounds (touch)

Spells DC: 13. Spell Atk: +5.
Slots: at-will/2. Prep: 4+domain {Bless (30', conc 1 min) & Cure Wounds (touch)}
Cantrips - Resistance (touch), Sacred Flame (60'), Spare the Dying (touch)
1st - Guiding Bolt (120'), Inflict Wounds (touch), Healing Word (60'), Shield of Faith (60', conc 10 min).

Background: Welcome Messenger Feature: Rustic Hospitality
Personality Trait: 1) Loved learning of new Peoples, tries to learn Elvish tongue on own. Strangely fluent now. 2) New powers feel oddly familiar.
Ideal: Duty, use my new found powers for good.
Bond: bring Johnny Peacock & father to justice!
Flaw: Still naive, like a child
Gear: a shovel, an iron pot, "strange" common clothes, and a pouch with 15gp.

Lifestyle: Poor, 2 sp/day.
Wealth: 15 gp. (Current 7.35 gp)
July 3rd. -0.10 gp, Grath tip. -7.55 gp, Vaux's tools.

Armor: Chain Mail -- 75 gp. 55 lbs. AC 16. STR req 15. Stealth disadv. Shield -- 10 gp. 6 lbs. AC +2
Weapons:
1x Mace -- 5 gp. 4 lbs. +4 atk. 1d6+2 (B).
1x Quarterstaff -- 2 sp. 4lbs. +4 atk. 1d6+2 (B). Versatile (1d8).

Gear: Explorer's pack (backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 10 Torches, 10 day’s rations, waterskin, rope [50 feet]), "mysterious" Holy Symbol (class), shovel, iron pot, "strange" common clothes.

Medicine:
Sacred Sage Herb Bundle -- abjure "restless & malicious" spirits
Healing Tisane -- prep for temporary potion of healing (24 h), heals 2d4+2 HP.

Associates:

Schedules:
Elder's Emergency Ritual - [Morning Sage Gathering, July 4th - July 7th, 8 AM - 12 PM]
Sewing Circle - [Temperance Banner Picnic, until end of August, Tues & Thurs, 11 PM - 3 PM]
Sewing Circle - [Sewing Primer, ongoing Tues & Thurs, 11 PM - 3 PM]

Relations:

Style/Bio: Age: 18. Height: 5'6". Weight: 140 lbs. Hair: Blonde. Eyes: Green Eyes.
Sanya grew up as the daughter of a Father's Council chief, of the Black Rock Basin tribe of Shoshone, many miles North from Livonia's Lament. When she was 13, she overheard her father discussing business with a notorious bandit, Johnny Peacock. They saw her, and before she could do anything, Johnny grabbed her and rode out of town, riding far away and dropping her down the tallest hill he could find.

An elf shaman found her and tended to her wounds, but she remained in a semiconscious state, so he brought her to a sacred rock and lay her there. Every night, he would perform a ritual over her invoking mystical powers. The nearby villagers found her, but nothing they could do woke her. The general consensus was that she was some kind of spirit. After four years, Sanya awoke, and the people helped her.

After she had recovered, Sanya wanted to have vengeance against Johnny Peacock, and after demonstrating strange healing powers in mending the wounds of a brave (who had been shot), the villagers gave her food, money and equipment, in addition to a strange amulet along with armour and a staff that had been left for her, and she left on a journey to bring Johnny Peacock to justice. A year later, she arrives at Livonia's Lament…

Last edited:
Player: Arkansan
Caden Ironoak
Human Fighter, Criminal Enforcer
Lvl: 2 PB: +2. XP: 465.
Saves: STR, CON. Alg: CN
HD: 2d10. HP: 22. (need new HP Hit Dice roll!) AC: 15

STR 11 (0), DEX 17 (3), CON 16 (3), INT 12 (1), WIS 15 (2), CHA 9 (-1)

Skills: Intimidation +1, Perception +4, Deception (bkrd) +1, Stealth (bkrd) +5.

Tools: Game set - Playing Cards, Thieves'.

Languages: Common, Easterner Dwarf

Race: Ability scores +1. Size: Medium. Speed 30'. Lang: Common (Mother Tongue) +1 other.

Class:
Armor: All armor. shields.
Weapons: Simple & martial weapons.
Saves: STR, CON.
Tools: --
Features:
Fighting Style - Duelist, +2 dmg if wield one-weapon only.
Second Wind 1/rest - Bonus action, regain 1d10+Lv. HP.
Action Surge 1/rest - An Additional Action.

Background: Criminal. Specialty: Enforcer. Feature: Criminal Contacts.
Trait: Always have a plan Ideal: People Bond: Family Flaw: Someone went to prison for me and I'm cool with that.
Gear: Crowbar, Dark Common Clothes w/ Hood, Pouch +15 gp.

Lifestyle: Poor, 2 sp/day.
Wealth: 23 GP
July 3rd. -1 gp, Grath tip. +0.1 gp, Bouncer gig.

Armor: Studded Leather - 45 gp. AC 12+DEX.
Weapon:
1x Rapier - 25 gp. +5 atk. 1d8+3. finesse.
(TWF Rapier & Dagger. +5 atk. 1d8+3/1d4.)
(Duelist Rapier. +5. 1d8+5.)

4x Dagger - 2 gp. +5 atk. 1d4+3. finesse, light, thrown (rng 20/60).
(Duelist Dagger. +5 atk. 1d4+5.)

Gear: Backpack - 2 gp, Bedroll - 1 gp, 6x Rations - 0.5 gp, Playing Cards - 0.5 gp, Water Skin - 0.2 gp. 3x Oil - 0.1 gp

Medicine: Sacred Sage Herb Bundle x5. -- abjure "restless & malicious" spirits.

Past Associates: Alric, Bright Feather, Hanalee, Karnath (party of Almost Everyone ).

Relations:
Welcome Stranger to -- The Elders, The Mothers of The People, The Law, & The Kobolds
Cautious Stranger to -- Leander (dandy bar bouncer)
Indebted-to Stranger for -- Knobby Pine (slum bar bouncer) & band

Style/bio: Age: 30. Height: 6'ft. Weight:185lbs. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Light Brown

Caden is a fixer. He fixes problems, for a price of course. Someone won't pay up? No problem he can handle that. Think your bookkeeper has sticky fingers? Caden has the solution for that too. A competitor moving in on your turf? Caden can convince him to move on to other real estate. Got on the wrong side of the law and need someone to stand good for you in a judicial duel? Caden would be happy to prove your innocence in the sight of Gods and Men, so long as you prove your purse is full first.

Caden isn't a terribly charismatic person, he is gruff of manner and criss crossed with scars. He makes few friends, but none of those who call him friend have ever questioned his loyalty. Home and family are somewhere but he his always careful in with his words when discussing such things. Anytime Caden hits a payday his coin is often shipped promptly out of town, all always to be delivered directly to his family though none can say just who and where they are.

Last edited:
Psst! IC topic is ready for play. Feel free to respond to the "Breakfast at Geraldine's" post. Get the momentum started! :smile:

Nice! How many other PCs are there roaming in and around Livonia's Lament? (Or is that a surprise?)

Last edited:
Well, you see Caden is another PC within this topic. I'm not currently running this same game elsewhere. So there's no surprise PCs running around.

Hopefully one day we'll have a lengthy roster of people coming and going, so we might eventually get mixed level ad hoc parties.

I rolled a 6 on 2d10 for the HP roll.

?? I am assuming that's 1d10? D&D 5e does a choice between: {1/2 a single HD +1} or {roll one die of your HD and take your chances}.

Otherwise that's a really unlucky roll for 2d10! I'll just read that as a 6, from 1d10, and we'll add that to your current HP max. :smile: (That's 6 plus CON, thus +9 to your previous 13 HP.)

Last edited:
For some reason I rolled 2d10 :oops: I can reroll on a single d10... rolled a 5 on a 1d10.

Nope, too late! Already entered into bookkeeping. Sucks to be you! Gotta take the 6. You'll just have to suffer with the extra +1 HP. :p

Big tippers!

I'll repeat that I am NOT going to shower you with Org Play typical wealth. We're closer to the copper or silver standard for Mercenary labor than gold standard. Becoming a stable part of the community often helps one stay at poor to modest lifestyles without falling much further.

A tip of a gold piece is a modest day's cost in room and board. Think about that. Roughly translated, that 1 GP/Modest day would be around $45 to $80 per Modest USA day for a student apartment room and 3 meals.

If you feel like editing your tipping value now, I won't mind. ;)

FYI, 5e Basic Lifestyle Expenses

Lifestyle Price/Day

Wretched —
Squalid 1 sp
Poor 2 sp
Modest 1 gp
Comfortable 2 gp
Wealthy 4 gp
Aristocratic 10 gp minimum (like $450 to $800 per day minimum!)

I'll still offer a tip of 1GP, given that someone is taking a bit of interest in Caden he will figure it can't hurt to have an extra set of eyes on the lookout.

I'll still offer a tip of 1GP, given that someone is taking a bit of interest in Caden he will figure it can't hurt to have an extra set of eyes on the lookout.

OK! :smile: I'll tally it with breakfast. How much you're spending on breakfast, btw? (You may estimate and we'll assume some side dishes & drinks involved.)

(Or we can discuss selecting Lifestyle now and handwavium most of these daily room & board cost details! You are currently at Poor, because you are a newcomer wandering mercenary. That is 2 sp/day.)

And what are you doing once outside Geraldine's? Tell me that in IC topic.

Okay! Sanya had a cup of tea (2cp) and the roasted ground squirrel etc. (1sp). Poor probrably is the right lifestyle.

I'll just say that Caden lives a poor life style. He's a frugal type.

Thanks guys! You are both marked as Lifestyle: Poor (2 sp/day). This way we can delegate the day-to-day living, focusing attention on any extra expenses (purchases, tips, plying rumors).

Be aware that Poor lifestyle will have the occasional "unpleasant encounter," due to the trying environs. :smile: At some point upgrading your Lifestyle helps preserve your wealth from everyday crime. All of this context is available in 5e Basic's Lifestyle section.

Caden: - 1 gp, Grath tip.
Sanya: - 1 sp, Grath tip.

Last edited:
For the upcoming fight, if Caden doesn't come to support Sanya, she'll cast SoF on herself as a bonus action and cast Sacred Flame at enemies, saving a spell slot for a Cure Wounds on herself. Otherwise, strategy as normal.

7 AM at a dive bar tends to be rather dead. ;)

Good question! Your passive Insight check suggests it meaning: a more domestic life in preparation for marriage & motherhood. Less life-threatening adventure far from one's home.

This is where I let Caden & Sanya roleplay socializing with the locals, build relationships, ply for rumors, etc. If you have specific goals let me know (Caden already has). If you want to abstract this out, also let me know. (Because this banter can get lengthy and we can lose track of pacing.) But I am game about roleplaying social bits if you are! :smile:

Meanwhile I will also roll for encounters and insert them over time in this 4 hour block (8 AM - 12 PM noon). Don't worry, time will eventually fast forward if you encounter nothing and choose to pass up these social roleplay opportunities.

Also, I'd like to give everyone a rough sense of location through Wikipedia:

Northern Pauite - namely East Walker River (Yerington) region with "Hare Eaters," "Pine-nut Eaters," "Onion Eaters," & Qui na taue Pha Numa "People of Big Smoke Valley"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paiute

Western Shoshone - namely Waitikka "Ricegrass Eaters" & Wiyimpihtikka "Buffalo Berry Eaters"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Shoshone

Big Smoky Valley, a.k.a. Wen-A-No-Nu-Fee Valley
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Smoky_Valley

Walker River - Sweetwater Mts lies between West & East Walker Rivers. Wassuk Range between East Walker & Walker Lake.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_River#/search

Shoshone Mountains - roughly the tribal border range between Paiute & Shoshone, who were for the most part peaceful and intermixing. Gives visual to a lot of the surrounding ranges, too.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshone_Mountains

enjoy! :smile:

Shoot. rolz.org is down. Gonna post GM rolls here for record keeping.

Caden bar bounce gig: Relevant Manhunt Rumor 1d10 = 8; Nothing. New Rumor 1d10 = 2; yes, and a good one! Drunks Reaction Roll 2d10 = 9 (-1 CHA); Caden's Indifferent posture helps, yet his looks still leaves drunks cautious. #Drunks 2d4 = 6; dodgy, stumbly.

Sanya, sage gathering: Relevant Manhunt Rumor 1d10 = 5; Possible lead? New Rumor 1d10 = 4; maybe? Eight to Noon 2nd Encounter Roll 1d10 (>7) = 9; none. Eight to Noon 3rd Encounter 1d10 (>4) = 10; none. 1st Encounter d8+d12 = 13. Encounter Reaction 2d10 = 9.

Rolls for Caden's Persuasion: 2x(1d20 -1). Twenty and a 4, woman first. Woman is persuaded above and beyond, and tries to help Caden with a rumor. Man becomes even more afraid, suspicious.

Sanya, Ol' Salty Clem seems to have been 'turned over' more than by your mere staff to his ribs. You've done a kind thing.

Here's the info about food & water, which will help you stay alive. This is from D&D 5e Basic, page 66. Hope it helps you make wise choices! :smile:

Food and Water

Characters who don’t eat or drink suffer the effects of exhaustion (see appendix A). Exhaustion caused by lack of food or water can’t be removed until the character eats and drinks the full required amount.

Food

A character needs one pound of food per day and can make food last longer by subsisting on half rations. Eating half a pound of food in a day counts as half a day without food.

A character can go without food for a number of days equal to 3 + his or her Constitution modi er (minimum 1). At the end of each day beyond that limit, a character automatically suffers one level of exhaustion.

A normal day of eating resets the count of days without food to zero.

Water

A character needs one gallon of water per day, or two gallons per day if the weather is hot. A character who drinks only half that much water must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or suffer one level of exhaustion at the end of the day. A character with access to even less water automatically suffers one level of exhaustion at the end of the day.

If the character already has one or more levels of exhaustion, the character takes two levels in either case.

Bad news for you! :sad: Create/Destroy Water and Purify Food & Drink are not part of Basic 5e PHB. :sad: (Or the DMG/MM, or Tyranny of Dragons, or Elemental Companion.) :sad:

:smile: But it helps me as GM keep meaningful tension in strategic resource allocation! Yay! :smile: Get back to me on how many waterskins you want. In some ways a bucket with a lid may be faster & cheaper. :smile:

However, yes, filling containers with water from the Main Street Well is free. A great question to ask!

Also, Ol' Salty Clem recommended bringing your armor versus 'the badgers'. He just warned about wearing it while hiking up mountain in the hot summer sun, because heat exhaustion. Use that info as you see fit! :smile:

I run encumbrance on the easy system of STR x15 -- after which you are Heavily Encumbered, Disadv on abil checks, attack rolls, & saves using STR DEX or CON. (D&D 5e Basic, p. 60.)

Let me tabulate the damage so far at Vaux's Tools & Dry Goods (you are welcome to roleplay this or bypass it): tent (2 person, 20 lbs) 2 gp, dagger (1 lbs) 2 gp, crowbar (5 lbs) 2 gp, blanket (3 lbs) 0.5 gp, candle (1 hr, -- lbs) 0.01 gp (6x = 0.06 gp), thread spool (fine cotton, 300 yds, -- lbs) 0.04 gp.
sub-total = 7.5 gp.

Last edited:
Okay, Sanya will take her armour with her. I suppose she won't be carrying most of that stuff when fighting the actual badgers anyway. Also, she'll buy the things.

Last edited:
I'm giving Sanya a bucket (with lid), because it makes the most sense. For 5 coppers you can carry 3 gallons of water. That's a day and a half in hot desert weather.

Your total comes to 7.55 gp. I'll mark it off on your sheet for you. :smile:

What I need from you is two things:
1) What Sanya is leaving in town with her Shoshone 'relations', at their maiden guest house.
2) What Sanya does next with her afternoon & evening, if anything at all.

The first question determines what's not at hand, and what's lost if disaster strikes you. The second question determines the very next scene for me to describe to you, (basically how to move your game experience forward).

Okay. Sanya will be leaving her mace and her shield, but taking the rest with her. Did you tell me when the sewing circle was available?

:smile: Yes, it was in the abstract form of [Sewing Circle Schedule]. The details would only open up upon your interest, which sounds like now. :p

Sunday - 9 AM - 5 PM (Furiously busy day to work on projects, civic and personal. Decides restaurant for Tuesday)
Tuesday - 11 AM - 3 PM (Lunch at Geraldine's, or other nice restaurants, to talk personal projects & progress.)
Thursday - 11 AM - 3 PM (or 5 PM public projects) (Lunch at Geraldine's to work civic projects & decide whose home for Sunday's bee.)

Attendance is not so strict, and little in the ways of dues. Will do fundraising for major civic projects (parade banners, refugee blankets, etc.,). Thursdays are the best days to catch up, as it's always at Geraldine's until at least 3 PM.

Can we generally assume Sanya will attend every Sewing Circle/Temperance meeting and skip that time? Unless there's an unusual event, of course.

Can we generally assume Sanya will attend every Sewing Circle/Temperance meeting and skip that time? Unless there's an unusual event, of course.

We certainly can skip playing them out in detail. :smile: But it does lock down those times, so no way to be two places at once! This brings tension later when travel times or pressing adventure may challenge you into disappointing (or worrying!) your newfound friends. Often it's nice having people remember you, so it's not a potential weakness only, it's also a potential strength.

i am currently melting in CA... :sad: GM is overheated. :oops:

So sorry everyone, that was a nasty heatwave. And it brought in the dreaded Humidity! :eek: (My hair relaxed from a frizzy mess, but I was otherwise paralyzed by such cruel, cruel moisture. :sad: ) Now back to your regularly scheduled fun! :smile:

Sanya would likely still take her explorer pack -- maybe not all of her rations and torches, but otherwise it's fine. The shovel and pot, while useful, are not as assumed needed for such a weekend trip.

You would always bring your Holy Symbol emblem, because you'll need it to cast spells. (Do we have it woven into your "mysterious" common clothes? Convenient!, :smile: but it brings up problems later in case the clothes need to be changed out or are damaged. I won't deliberately ding you, but be mindful if you are going incognito or something.)

We have a dice room both in the "Interest" topic (a link) and on here in Chat as our own Chat Room - Livonia's Lament. In the chat room be sure to unclick the option "Hide Bot Messages." Go test, play! (if you still have issues let me know.)

off-site dice roller: rolz.org
Dice Room lobby: Livonia's Lament

on-site dice roller, chat room: Livonia's Lament
password: mentioned in our private conversations. ;)

Last edited:
So far you have encountered new Medicines!

Sacred Sage Herb Bundle seems to be a local specialty of these lands. They are used to abjure wicked spirits for a (long rest) period of time. Weird that a land overgrown with sage has such a concern with wicked spirits... how prevalent could they be?

and there is,

Sacred Healing Tisane is a sachet of healing herbs to be steeped in hot water and then drank. The infusion's power lasts 24 hours from brewing. It calls upon the soothing nature of the pussy willow, bringing rejuvinating rest quickly. It is wise to give back thanks to sister willow for a fast borrowed rest.

but did you know there is?

Peacemaker Leaf, a sacred tobacco preparation used to quell fights. Whoever smokes it speaks like they casted Friends, but without listener hostility at the end. And the tradition is to fill the peace pipe with enough uses for each aggrieved party, then pass the pipe around, so all parties speak like they casted Friends. Everyone speaks clearly and are received kindly, and thus this medicine makes peace!

What other new medicines will be found in this land? :smile:

Sanya XP, July 3rd to midway July 4th.

20 - Honey Well alley - enc avoidance
20 - Called on kin help v. Johnny Peacock, kin alert
5 - Piqued elder interest @ mystery clothes
10 - Befriend Big-Cheeks & crew
5 - Good impression on Hidden-Fawn
5 - Healing Clem from booze sick
5 - Joining the Sewing Circle
15 - Joining the Temperance Society, Civic Banner Project & Picnic
20 - Hearing evening stories, sharing travel mysteries
15 - Help Sweet-Peas calm crowd, med checks, learn of lurking dangers
10 - See Sweet-Peas at healers & praying overnight
35 - In combat to defeat Ghraac

Total XP 165, to be activated upon Long Rest. :smile:

A lot of this is exploring and building relationships, which may lead to greater depth and challenge for you to pursue in the future. There's no right or wrong beyond being engaged with the world. It's Sanya's story in the sandbox, and she's the hero of her own making. :smile:

Before I put this into your 'permanent record', is there anything you want to add or contest, AngelsandAarakokra? :grin:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back