[OOC] Traveller: Scoundrels, Rogues, Nobles, and Worse

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harl Quinn

Veteran of the Clone Wars
Reaction score
This is the OOC thread for Traveller: Scoundrels, Rogues, Nobles, and Worse. The IC thread is here.

Here is a reiteration of the posting rules:
With regard to posting format and schedule, I plan on keeping it very simple so things flow quickly. Any additions or changes will be made to this individual post, in essence, it will be a living document. I will also be putting together a PDF with all the house rules, campaign trivia and the posting guidelines. In the meantime, enjoy this link to the PDF I whipped up for the face-to-face version of this game which fell through due to real life scheduling issues :tongue: as well as the link to the Traveller integrated timeline.
  1. Turn postings will be at a rate of at least once a week, no more than once or twice a day. I know everybody is living in different areas/time zones and has differing lives, jobs, etc., so I understand if you won't be able to post rapidly. I work overnights and crash (sometimes pretty hard) during the day. If I haven't heard from you once the majority of players have declared their characters' actions, I'll PM you. If, after I PM you, I haven't received a response within 24 hours, I'll try to have your character act according to their motivations and abilities as best as possible. I will DEFINITELY NOT have them act randomly, stupidly, or otherwise cause them harm due to a bad roll. If you are going to be away from the game for a significant amount of time (1 week or more), I will take control of your character as above.
  2. Combat will be of two basic types. Simple fights in which your course of action is obvious (fight or die, using your strongest attack) will be resolved by me. For more complete fights, I will describe the situation and then end the move, so that your next instructions will include how you want to deal with the combat situation. For instance, I might write: “After Aaron makes a comment about a drunken Sword Worlder's lumpy head, the Sword Worlder backhands Aaron, knocking him to the floor, and puts a booted foot on his chest. The bar erupts in chaos as the Sword Worlder's compatriots begin hitting whomever is closest. The mohawk-sporting Darrian who has been staring at you grins and pulls a body pistol from her sleeve. What do you do?”
  3. Based on your current situation, for each move you need to supply your character's immediate long- and short-term goals. For instance, suppose you're in the situation described above. Your long-term goals might be to become the richest, most influential free trader in the region and to find the one-eyed Geonee who killed your captain. Your short-term goals might be something like: “Hit the drunk Sword Worlder with my chair, then make my way to the nearest window. If the Darrian starts to come my way, I'll throw a knife at her. When I reach the window, I'll jump through it, get on my grav-bike, and find some place to lie low in the next town. In the morning I want to try to sell the necklace I found in the wrecked starship and replace the knife I lost. Also, I'll check around on the local newsnet or at the local bars for rumors about the Geonee who killed my captain.”
  4. Your moves should take into account as many contingencies as you can think of (such as the possibility of the Darrian moving in for a shot with the body pistol in the simplified example above) and should describe your actions in enough detail to avoid ambiguity. If you are locked up in someone's brig, you cannot simply say, “Escape." You need to do something like “try to hotwire the lock” or “play sick and ambush the guard” or otherwise outline some definite course of action.
  5. Overall party actions will be determined by majority, with me, the GM, as final arbiter. I'll do my best to integrate your moves and come up with acceptable compromises when they conflict.
  6. We will be using the Orokos dice roller and you will be expected to provide links for verification of your dice rolls, just as Templum Domini provided for his chargen.
  7. Lurkers are welcome, but please do not comment within the OOC and IC threads. If you have a comment or question for me or my players, please PM us. This keeps the noise-to-signal ratio down and keeps things clear for gameplay.
  8. Lurkers interested in becoming players should contact me, the GM, via PM.
  9. The format for posting has some nuances, but not many. Typically, I'll start a new turn posting with:
    Date: ddd/year
    World/Sector: Planet or system/Subsector Coordinates/Sector

"Character speech should be distinct and easy to read, representing your character’s speech, preferably a color different from other characters in the game." The character's other actions are often written as part of the narrative paragraph, as if in a novel. Character thoughts should be in the color of your character's speech and displayed through italics without quotes or brackets.

Separating by paragraphs at conversation breaks or at logical action breaks is a good idea. Strive to not post “one-liners.” That is, don’t simply post ‘Joss whacks the Sword Worlder.’ That’s boring. Try to weave in some narrative. ‘Joss ducks under the Sword Worlder's punch, easily sidestepping the crude swipe. In return, she smashes her beer stein along side the brute's ugly head, giving him a new lump .’ This is by no means quality material, but it is a step in the right direction.

Other symbols - { }, [ ], < >, << >>, etc. - will indicate such things as radio calls, speech in languages other than the standard assumed language of the campaign, etc. Here's what I'm proposing:
    • <<Alien language translated by an individual, computer or robot will be delivered between double chevrons in the color of the robot's speech, like so>>. In short, we'll use the guideline in the D6 Star Wars rules - if a translator's present, just talk normally. :smile:
    • <Untranslated alien language will be delivered in single chevrons in italics and the color of the speaker's speech.> It will not be comprehensible unless a character makes a successful language roll. In that case, a translation will be delivered in a spoiler as above. As a side note, I know there are a number of language guides and that they tried to create authentic languages for the Vilani, Vargr, and other races with their own syntax and the like. I don't intend to go into that much detail. There is an alien word generator for Traveller here which we can all use, as well as another with a wider variety of languages here, but if there is some sage saying or particular words you or I want to use, I would recommend maybe referring to info in the Traveller books if you have access.
    • {Telepathic messages will be delivered in curly brackets in italics in the speaker's color.}
    • [Radio calls and computer warnings will use square brackets in the speaker's color. Computer warnings will be in bright green prefaced with ***SYSTEM ALERT***]

[OOC: Out of character information, usually statistical information or questions. OOC banter is usually reserved for the OOC thread.] Any out of character dialogue not directly related to the OOC thread may be conducted through the use of spoiler tags. For example, dice rolling should be conducted in a spoiler in the In-Character thread to expedite the combat process, like so: or
    Joss - attacking the Sword Worlder - 2d6+5 (https://orokos.com/roll/608228)

Above all, stay in-character in the in-character thread, and out of character in the out of character thread.

Proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation (barring unusual speech patterns or accents as part of a character's defining traits) are a must, since confusion resulting from a run-on sentence could lead to mistakes, possibly even character death. Running a post through a spelling and grammar checker before posting is a good idea. If you are unsure of your post clarity, run it by me in a PM prior to posting.
For those curious about the world the game is starting out on, here's a travelogue I picked up with regard to Alell.

More to come!

Harl

I think you should keep a copy of all Character Sheets here, for easy reference.
Good idea. I'll work on that this weekend along with a lot of other stuff. You guys will probably see me doing a whole bunch of stuff in the coming days as I'm going to be taking a much-needed week's vacation from work. :smile:

Thanks for the idea Templum!

Harl

Good idea. I'll work on that this weekend along with a lot of other stuff. You guys will probably see me doing a whole bunch of stuff in the coming days as I'm going to be taking a much-needed week's vacation from work. :smile:

Thanks for the idea Templum!

Harl

I'm curious; does Traveller advocate the GM controlling the actions of his players' characters? Because you've been dictating specific moves for Ascot, like having him hold the hilt of his blade...

So I can find this easily later
Name: FC Aaron Larson

46 yr old Human Male

Characteristics:
Strength: 7
Dexterity: 8
Endurance: 5
Intelligence: 7
Education: 6
Social: 7

Skills: Admin-0, Athletics (Dex)-0, Battle Dress-1, Diplomat-1, Gun Combat (Energy)-1 , Gun Combat (Slug)-1, Heavy Weapons (Vehicle)-0, Melee (blade)-1, Mechanic-0, Medic-0, Sensors-0, Stealth-1, Tactics (Naval)-0, Tactics (military)-3 - Trade(Spaceship construction)-0 and Pilot (small craft)-0.

Career History:
Marines = Terms: 6 Scout = Terms: 1

Rank History:
Marines = Rank: 3 Scout = Rank: 0

Event History
Marine Event: You are assigned to an assault on an enemy fortress. You find yourself leading the charge and gain a skill
Marines Event: You have been commissioned as an officer
Marine Event: A mission goes disastrously wrong due to your commander’s error or incompetence, but you survive. You report him and gain a +2 DM to your next Advancement roll
Life Event: A close relationship improves, you gain an Ally or significant other – Daughter
Marine Event: A mission goes disastrously wrong due to your commander’s error or incompetence, but you survive. You report him and gain a +2 DM to your next Advancement roll
Marine Event: Trapped behind enemy lines, you have to survive on your own and gain a skill
Marine Event: You`ve been injured in an accident while on duty and will lose 1 point from your Endurance attribute

Mishap History
Scout Mishap: You inadvertently cause a conflict between the Imperium and a minor world or race. Gain a Rival and Diplomat-1 – Govenor of minor world I caused conflict on.
Benefits
Auto Pistol, Advanced Combat Rifle

Baron Bryce Mackenzie
Male human 34 years old
Characteristics:
Strength: 6
Dexterity: 8
Endurance: 7
Intelligence: 4
Education: 13
Social: 12

Skills:
Carouse-3,Admin-2,Advocate-2,Comms-0,
Diplomat-2,Investigate-0,Persuade-2,
Deception-1,Broker-1,Leader-1

Career History:
Nobility = Terms: 4
Rank
Nobility = Rank: 3

Event History:
Nobility Event: You make an alliance with a powerful and charismatic noble, who becomes an Ally. Gain +4 to Advancement

Nobility Event: You manipulate and charm your way through high society. Gain a skill as well as a Rival and
an Ally

Nobility Event: You manipulate and charm your way through high society. Gain a skill as well as a Rival (and an Ally

Mishap History:
Nobility Mishap: Political manoeuvrings usurp your position. Increase Diplomat by one level and gain a Rival = Administration Noble who forced him out of his position.

Benefits:
Four Ship Shares
Safari Ship (25% paid off)

Bryce is a highly educated, very charming idiot. All of his success so far has come from either hisability to schmooze or have brighter subordinates than himself who are riding his coattails. Bryce is self aware enough to realize this and doesn't mind. His last mishap however left him without his usual support staff and now he must make it on his own for the time being.
Note I was aiming for a noble for this guy so I did several rolls. If that's not ok I'll consign him to the great Traveller Chargen bin in the sky.

Ally's
Baron Thornton - Sector Minister of Trade. Received help from Bryce on greasing the flow of goods through customs on several occasions. Helps keep C.I. Waldon in check when possible.

Anne Ripley - Head of his former staff and still loyal to Bryce. Helps him where possible.

Randall Trufant - Head of planetary customs on planet X. Works with Bryce and Baron Thornton on greasing the flow of goods.

Rivals
Baron Alston - usurped his administration position through political wrangling.

Chief inspector Waldon - Aware Bryce has "expedited" more than his fair share of goods through customs but has so far failed to find compelling enough evidence to file charges.

Sir Henry Abbot Sector Governors chiefassistant - Earned his title the hard way. Not fond of Bryce's success due to birth andadvancement due to connections vs skill

I'm curious; does Traveller advocate the GM controlling the actions of his players' characters? Because you've been dictating specific moves for Ascot, like having him hold the hilt of his blade...
Traveller does not advocate one way or another. I'm not trying to take control of your character, I'm just posting the opening turns and setting the stage. I wrote that as you were writing your response to the situation. I can change it, but please understand I can't read minds or see into the future as to when you or anyone else is going to post a response. It was just bad timing.

Thanks.

Harl

Traveller does not advocate one way or another. I'm not trying to take control of your character, I'm just posting the opening turns and setting the stage. I wrote that as you were writing your response to the situation. I can change it, but please understand I can't read minds or see into the future as to when you or anyone else is going to post a response. It was just bad timing.

Thanks.

Harl

Well, it's okay, as long as you don't dictate anything major. I am not criticizing your approach or anything.

Well, it's okay, as long as you don't dictate anything major. I am not criticizing your approach or anything.
Sorry if I came across as bitey. I worked a 10 1/2 hour overnight shift, got two hours of sleep, and then celebrated Easter at my mother-in-law's house, so I'm still kinda tired. I'm going to get a bit more sleep and then work on getting things underway again.

Later!

Harl

Busy week but I finally got some posts up for Bryce and Aaron.

So you n theory Bryce has a Safari ship. If that would be helpful I can offer it as a courier ship. If not we can say it's leased out to service the mortgage. GM's call

So you n theory Bryce has a Safari ship. If that would be helpful I can offer it as a courier ship. If not we can say it's leased out to service the mortgage. GM's call
For now we'll say it's leased out to service the mortgage, but the group will most likely have use for it later on.

Later!

Harl

Necrozius Necrozius , do you mind if I run Octia for a bit just so she stays on track with the others for experience and so the group has a medic on board?

Harl

Just a brief heads up, folks. First, I want to apologize for the lack of action in the last few turns. Work has been sucking the life out of me in a variety of ways. Second, I received word on Tuesday that one of my few remaining aunts passed away. The funeral is Saturday and I'll make every effort to post new turns this weekend given that I'm taking tomorrow and Saturday off (Sunday and Monday are my "work weekend").

Harl

Just a brief heads up, folks. First, I want to apologize for the lack of action in the last few turns. Work has been sucking the life out of me in a variety of ways. Second, I received word on Tuesday that one of my few remaining aunts passed away. The funeral is Saturday and I'll make every effort to post new turns this weekend given that I'm taking tomorrow and Saturday off (Sunday and Monday are my "work weekend").

Harl

Condolences, and thanks for notifying us.

Hang in there and no worries on the RP; its moving as fast or faster than others I am a member of

Hey sorry but I'm not keeping up with this. I think it's best if I bow out unless it's going to cause issues with the game going forward.

Last edited:
Hey sorry but I'm not keeping up with this. I think it's best if I bow out unless it's going to cause issues with the game going forward.
Don't sweat it, Bunch. I'll keep the characters going and you can jump in when real life settles down and allows.

Harl

Just a note regarding the want ad in the game. I looked at the adventure I'm running and saw I did some dating wrong with regard to the ad. It's still 131-1116, but the ad expires in six days (137-1116) rather than two.

Necrozius Necrozius - Are you still with us? Your last post was 4/10/18. I'm going to go ahead and bump things along with regard to Joss to keep the game going if you don't mind.

Harl

Just a note regarding the want ad in the game. I looked at the adventure I'm running and saw I did some dating wrong with regard to the ad. It's still 131-1116, but the ad expires in six days (137-1116) rather than two.

Necrozius Necrozius - Are you still with us? Your last post was 4/10/18. I'm going to go ahead and bump things along with regard to Joss to keep the game going if you don't mind.

Harl
Hi there, very sorry, I'm not able to commit as I'd hoped. My apologies; please use what I've given you as you see fit.

Again, very sorry...

Hi there, very sorry, I'm not able to commit as I'd hoped. My apologies; please use what I've given you as you see fit.

Again, very sorry...
Like I told Bunch, don't sweat it. Jump back in when you're ready and life isn't as busy.

Harl

Like I told Bunch, don't sweat it. Jump back in when you're ready and life isn't as busy.

Harl

I think we need to do a drive for new players.

Also, how does gaining new levels and skills work in Traveller?

greetings all. I am taking over Bryce i guess, is that right Dale? THere is so much to get caught up on, is there a synopsis I can read to get caught up?

I can't get the Dice roller to work

Locking thread as Harl is starting a new game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back