Open Legend

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Mankcam

Hallowed Be Thy Swo
Reaction score
Has anyone played Open Legend?

i just stumbled across it, it looks like something that I should of heard about, but somehow it escaped my radar.
It's a D20 system, a few big names promoted it, but I haven't heard much about it.

I'm probably the last to know about it
Just wondering what peoples experiences are with it?

"In Open Legend, dice explode!"

So nothing at all to do with Mongoose Legend/MRQII...
Nothing at all. This is a d20 game which just shares a similar name with the Mongoose game:smile:.
Yes, I thought of the same game as you, first, but spotted the d20 in the description and didn't bother reading further:wink:.

I briefly thought that I've played that one in a PbP, but it turns out it was a different system, so I've got nothing to add for this specific system.

I know nothing about the rules, but the pitch on the front page doesn't do much for me; if their marketing can be trusted, it seems very much like a "character builder" game with lots of grandiose buzzwords sprinkled on top. "Epic!" "Splosions!" "Complex . . . But simple!"

But what can I say? I'm an old fart who probably isn't the target demo. Maybe this is the best thing "evar" to a lot of people who play the hell out of Mobas or something?

They lost me at "exploding dice." Not a big fan these days. Unless they're dice that literally explode. They'd come in handy for some of my players ...

Scanned it. Not sure why dice need to explode, but then, didn’t read thoroughly. Uses d20+dx, where X bonus is step dice associated with attribute rating (so, say, STR 1=d4, 2=d6, 3=d8, and so on). Uses Feats. Classes range from medieval to futuristic.

I have other systems that do the same things without the extra dice and crunch, so I won’t be trying this out. Rules are basically free, though, so I might read more of it for ideas.

It was being promoted by Ed Greenwood and Matt Mercer, so I thought there may have been some buzz about it.
I have hardly seen any references to it on forums, it's almost a ghost

Not really my thing - I already have D&D 5E and some OSR titles, so that's me covered for the D20 system..
But given the D20 system popularity, I would have thought I would have seen some references tothis system.

But it seems to have faded away, or is still in deep development, or it never was fully realised. I think the kickstarter for it was a few years ago now.
Either way, I don't think there are many out there at present who are actively playing it.

Last edited:
They lost me at "exploding dice."

I love exploding dice, they almost had me with that by itself. It also has an open licence which is always one of my tick boxes when purchasing a new system. But yeah, like I don't really see anyone else talking about this game.

But yeah, like I don't really see anyone else talking about this game.
That's my experience with pretty much any game that isn't D&D 5, Fate or otherwise bigger. I find that most people who play an RPG don't really travel to general RPG boards, and instead are active in the game's specific Discord or Forum. Vampire: the Masquerade 5e has an incredibly active community, but you wouldn't know it from here or rpg.net.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back