OpenQuest, 3rd edition

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Pub devotees will be aware of it already, but Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl did a brief review of Openquest 3 over in the 'Things You Got Recently' thread. If I'm doing things right, this should link to it.
And once more I want to reiterate that I don't think the parts I didn't care for are inherently bad, or badly written... they're just not quite what I was hoping for, or would really want to run as written.

And once more I want to reiterate that I don't think the parts I didn't care for are inherently bad, or badly written... they're just not quite what I was hoping for, or would really want to run as written.
Look, I'll admit I'm still reading it, but having read Tulpa Girl's 'mini-review', I think I'm somewhat in the same boat.

It seems to me that OQ3 has been written where the rules as written are closely linked to the setting. I think that there are pointers as to how the rules can be separated/altered to suit other milieu's.

I was pretty sure that I'd seen somewhere that the 'OQ3 Companion' might contain this, but having looked at the kickstarter update descriptions I'm not so sure that this is the case.

On the other hand I did note that my problem (ie coming from D&D) may be solved by the future 'D100 Dungeons' supplement, but as its not written now its not going to help me.

Note to Newt if you read ever read this: There is also 'D100 Dungeon' available on drivethru, I'm not sure whether this affects you or not but something may need a name change.

One thought I did have Tulpa that I think aligns more with your views (note I've really just thought of this whilst writing this) - given that each skills growth points could be altered to the next level. Thus a veteran (combat skill) fighter could increase his combat skill expertise for 3 growth points, a veteran thief and cleric could increase their combat skill for 5 points and a veteran wizard could require 10 points. This would not inhibit growth, just make it cost more.

I received my OQ3 book the other day and absolutely love it.

I'm currently running two Mythras games (Classic Fantasy and Worlds United). I haven't pitched it to my Worlds United players yet but I want to convert it from Mythras to OQ3. I feel like the delicious, gritty combat realism of Mythras is just a wee bit too much for the ridiculous Flash Gordonesque Ray-Gun Gothic Silliness that our Worlds United game has become.

So - nothing but love and reverence for OQ3, here.

Received my copy today, so flicking through it now. It's rather lovely, and there's a ton of great material in there.

Pitched at a complexity level my old brain can handle too!

Thanks Newt!

One thought I did have Tulpa that I think aligns more with your views (note I've really just thought of this whilst writing this) - given that each skills growth points could be altered to the next level. Thus a veteran (combat skill) fighter could increase his combat skill expertise for 3 growth points, a veteran thief and cleric could increase their combat skill for 5 points and a veteran wizard could require 10 points. This would not inhibit growth, just make it cost more.
That’s basically the Rolemaster solution.

This thread started nicely enough, but it descended into mockery and that's a shame :sad:
Don’t worry man, no one’s mocking you, they’re just being goofy. They’ll get back to talking about and advertising the game soon enough. You see, Mankcam invented Swo by accident, so he’s trying to recapture the celebrity that brought him. People who live in countries that don’t actually exist do that. :devil:

Yeah, I’m being goofy too, but I also bought a copy of the game, so keep that in mind. :thumbsup:

Shit, bloody CRKrueger CRKrueger is onto me! My gig is up!!!
I was just after increasing my profile so I'll have enough Followers for when I start hosting my mythical rival site 'Mankcam.com'.
I was on the verge of publishing my own BRP variant called MankQuest, and about to embark on a blanketing promotion operation, of the likes the online world has never seen! I guess that's over, heh heh
Now I'll never get enough subscribers if they work out that the Land of Oz doesn't exist, and I"m really posting from a storage shed in the back of a Stanton industrial estate! :grin:

(Ok, nothing to see here, back to OQ3, which does deserve the kudos in my opinion )

Last edited:
Shit, bloody CRKrueger CRKrueger is onto me! My gig is up!!!

I was just after increasing my profile so I'll have enough Followers for when I start hosting my mythical rival site Mankcam.com.

I was on the verge of publishing my own BRP variant called MankQuest, and about to embark on a blanketing promotion operation, of the likes the online world has never seen! I guess that's over now heh heh

Now I'll never get enough subscribers if they work out that the Land of Oz doesn't exist, and I"m really posting from a storage shed in the back of Stanton industrial estate! :grin:

.(Ok, nothing to see here, back to OQ3, which does deserve the kudos in my opinion )
You would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn’t for us meddling kids.

Note to Newt if you read ever read this: There is also 'D100 Dungeon' available on drivethru, I'm not sure whether this affects you or not but something may need a name change.
It's not called that, it's OpenQuest Dungeons, and it might get changed or become a sub-title before publication. I found that title when I did a quick search via drivethrurpg.com, for another idea I had (and safely filed away for a rainy day). :smile:

I like doing goofy myself, but wasn't aware of the in-jokes here and took it the wrong way. Sorry.
That's how it all starts here, but once you're in, then like Hotel California, you can't get out; the other forums just don't cut it, heh heh.
For better or worse, we're you're kind of people here, and you'll find a pretty receptive audience for the vibe of the games you produce (Crypts & Things, OpenQuest, etc)
I'm eagerly looking forward to receiving my backer copy of OQ3 any day now :thumbsup:

Last edited:
...and lo and behold, my backer copy of OpenQuest just arrived at my place in Australia today !!!

1626950800555.png

I love the 'old school' feel of the b&w internal art, it's really evocative.
I also think it's cool that the glossy full colour pages in the centre are showcasing the cover art from earlier editions, as well as some new pieces.
The content itself is clear and straight-forward, making this a good read, I dig it!

1626950855359.png 1626950876371.png
1626950913934.png
1626951052014.png

Cheers Newt Newport Newt Newport, this looks like a job really well done mate! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I've had my copy for a while now and really like it. If anybody wants to know the quick basic differences between it and Mythras are:

Animism and Folk Magic are combined into a single Personal magic
No Mysticism (i.e. Shaolin monks and Arabic hero style stuff like clinging to walls)
No Fatigue system
Single Health score as opposed to Hit Locations
Simpler wounding system, i.e. zero points and you're dead no major/minor wounds and so on
Absence of combat special effects.

At least these are what made the biggest differences to me

I picked up OQ3, but there were some niggling rules still around from OQ2 that I didn't like. Still a very respectable system, and one I'd play around with / houserule if I wanted a faster fantasy experience than using Legend.

I think my favorite interpretation of OpenQuest came with Crooked Staff's Age of Shadow.

So I've been looking around for a lighter alternative to Mythras, and have been kind of overwhelmed by the sheer number of BRP-adjacent derivatives out there. I was *just* thinking that I had finally narrowed down what I was looking for to OQ3... But the "all characters can cast spells" is a pretty hard unselling point for the kinds of dark/low-magic games I want to run. That's a real shame too because I like just about everything else I've seen and read about this newest version of OpenQuest.

Yeah, Age of Shadow looks a lot more like what I was looking for. Maybe eventually I can pull in ideas from OQ3 into it (the system seems very "tinker-friendly") but I'd want some experience running it "as is" before I start messing with it. Any ideas on why Age of Shadow didn't catch on or expand? The free version I found on DriveThru looks pretty awesome but I haven't played it yet so maybe I'm missing something.

And since I've resurrected an old thread anyway, what are my options for using an OpenQuestLike for a sci-fi game down the road? I see something called River of Heaven but don't know which version of OpenQuest it grew from?

So I've been looking around for a lighter alternative to Mythras, and have been kind of overwhelmed by the sheer number of BRP-adjacent derivatives out there. I was *just* thinking that I had finally narrowed down what I was looking for to OQ3... But the "all characters can cast spells" is a pretty hard unselling point for the kinds of dark/low-magic games I want to run. That's a real shame too because I like just about everything else I've seen and read about this newest version of OpenQuest.
You can always introduce a houserule that if you don't take a magic skill at chargen, you can never learn one. Or does OQ chargen make such skills mandatory?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back