Original Scenarios Resurrected

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

JoeNuttall

Reaction score
I've started a new series Original Scenarios Resurrected, wherein D&D scenarios from the 70s are republished (for free!) with the permission of the authors, usually together with extra contemporaneous material.

So far I've released two installments:

Original Scenarios Resurrected I: The Solo Dungeon (1977, Richard Bartle)
Richard Bartle (creator of the first ever MUD, MUD1) published this solitaire dungeon in 1977. Here it is presented alongside the original manuscript, and a transcript of the original introduction. Unlike the more usual Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style, where you cannot deviate far from a preset script, this is an implementation of a dungeon crawl where you wander around mapping the dungeon free to make choices that your character could.

Original Scenarios Resurrected II: The Complete Barbarian (1977-79, Brian K. Asbury)
Brian K. Asbury wrote dozens of articles in the late 70s/ early 80s, contributing to White Dwarf, Imagine, Fiend Folio, and several UK fanzines (Trollcrusher, Chimera, Underworld Oracle, Demonsblood). He wrote the first ever Barbarian Character class, published in White Dwarf #4, together with a Barbarian-only adventure "The Halls of Testing" published in Underworld Oracle 4. Here I present the dungeon together with the character class, and the updated version for AD&D from White Dwarf #13.

There's quite a bit more to come, so I thought I'd post future updates here for anyone that's interested in original OSR material.

Stan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Joe, you're doing great work in historical preservation.

I'd actually never seen this barbarian. I never cared for the weirdly structured UA version. and never personally played with it.

JoeNuttall

Reaction score
I was pleased to see there was so much appreciation for The Barbarian, thanks.

Part III is now up:

Original Scenarios Resurrected III: The Temple of Psaan (1980, Andrew Ravenscroft)
Andy Ravenscroft provided me with a lot of the information for scenarios in 1970s fanzine for my Complete Timeline of Early D&D Adventures, and here is one of his own scenarios, from The Beholder #11. This is a short scenario, based on the first chapters of L. Sprague de Camp's novel "The Fallible Fiend". Unusually for fanzine submissions we have here the original manscript which shows how a personal dungeon was fleshed out for publication. Both the original manuscript and the published version are included.

More to follow...

JoeNuttall

Reaction score
Part IV is now up.

Original Scenarios Resurrected IV: The Complete P'teth Tower (1978/79, Brian K. Asbury)
This is Brian Asbury's (author of Kandroc Keep, The Asbury System, and The Barbarian) solitaire adventure from Trollcrusher #13 and #17 combined with a previously unpublished part III, a revised part I, maps added, and all combined into a single solitaire. Brian prepared this for publication in 79/80 but Games Publications went under, so it was never published - until now, 43 years later!

More to follow...

ffilz

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Part IV is now up.

Original Scenarios Resurrected IV: The Complete P'teth Tower (1978/79, Brian K. Asbury)
This is Brian Asbury's (author of Kandroc Keep, The Asbury System, and The Barbarian) solitaire adventure from Trollcrusher #13 and #17 combined with a previously unpublished part III, a revised part I, maps added, and all combined into a single solitaire. Brian prepared this for publication in 79/80 but Games Publications went under, so it was never published - until now, 43 years later!

More to follow...
The link had an extra character (fixed in my quote above), but even going to the page, I don't see how to download the PDF, only view it.

Stan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The link had an extra character (fixed in my quote above), but even going to the page, I don't see how to download the PDF, only view it.
Try clicking on the pop out box/arrow in the upper right. For me, that opens it in a new tab with a download option.

ffilz

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Try clicking on the pop out box/arrow in the upper right. For me, that opens it in a new tab with a download option.
Heh. now it does. Earlier it did nothing...

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com