Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
What do Osprey say about follow up material? Does a game have to sell like Frostgrave?

I think sales are a very big factor in the decision. Generally speaking core books sell better than supplements so deciding to do a supplement is something where sales of the core need to be a big consideration.

A good thing about Osprey is they let me and Jeremy retain the rights to the game itself, so we can put out a supplement on our own if we wish. The challenge there is we would not have the set-up Osprey has, so getting it to look like the RBRB rulebook would be difficult. We are still exploring this possibility and we have been slowly working on a supernatural supplement. But we don't know if that is going to be something we will release or not (on our end too, we have to consider the cost of production versus how much we are likely to make back).

I've a few favorites, I love Righteous Blades, and this one:

I'd pretty much given up on Gran Meccanismo ever appearing, so finding that Osprey were going to publish it was exciting. Lovely book and a setting with so much potential for intrigue.

I am a fan of this publishing line from Osprey.
I will get to run Jackals one day, I swear upon the blood of a thousand primordial goat-men, I shall!
It was a game I really wanted to like; in the end I felt it needed another round of playtesting and proof-reading. And more material--you'd soon run out of 'spells' for the various traditions as players advanced.

What do Osprey say about follow up material? Does a game have to sell like Frostgrave?
They've put out one for Jackals and another is in the pipeline, I think.

I have been tempted by many of the entries but Crescendo of Violence was the first one I have grabbed. Seems a perfect fit for the Android/Netrunner setting and the narrative mechanic appeal to me as a GM.

Righteous Blades looks amazing but the use of rules exception powers turned me off as it makes it difficult for me as a GM. I much prefer the likes of Hearts of Wulin and Avatar these days, where fighting style is important but not defined by discrete rules packets.

Last edited:
I have a ton of Osprey books for reference, but mostly military history. I don't have any of the RPGs.

Paleomythic, and Romance of the perilous lands got my interest, but not enough yet to move them from wishlist status to in the cart. Jackyls looked interesting, but I became much less interested when I found out it is not based at all on the historical bronze age. It is still on my list, but at a low simmer with many games ahead of it.

A little disconcerting to see some of the reviews online of Nazi Moon Base and the Occult that don't seem to realize these are historical based but (I would think clearly) fictional rpg setting material.

Yeah, this world is filled with people who I'm not sure how they manage not to drown when it rains.

Revell released a plastic model of a classic flying saucer as a silly Luftwaffe 1946 what if model a couple years ago. After public outcry they recalled the models. Later they re-issued the kit with a large disclaimer that it was not historically accurate. Luft 46 is a popular genre (what if WW2 continued into 1946) some are real aircraft that were fielded in small numbers but it mostly features aircraft that never went beyond the mock up or even back of a napkin stage.

Popular Mechanics UFO toy pulled for historical inaccuracy

Did I miss any mention of Gran Meccanismo?

EZD4URH.jpg

Gran Meccanismo is fairly good, both from a system point of view and from a setting point view.
The game uses d6 dice pools, with 4s and 5s giving one success and 6s two, built by adding an attribute (Body, Mind or Soul) and potentially multiple traits (short freeform descriptors each rated from 1 to usually 5 dice).
The setting is fairly ingenious, mixing actual period politics with the revolutionary New Science sparked from Leonardo Da Vinci's imagination and more (the Gran Meccanismo itself is a sort of ante litteram clockwork AI powered by the waters of the Arno).

I mainly got Sigil & Shadow because it's d00lite-compatible. Hard City I got because I'm curious to see how it handles the genre.
S&S is certainly the most exciting game of its genre since Chaosium's translation of Nephilim.
HC
really feels like classic noir films--I'd love to find an rpg that married genre to system well--but we're still waiting our copies of both in the post.

I mentioned it above - I'm on the fence about it. How is it?

I've only skimmed through most of the book. Love the art and vibe of the setting, though it's mostly a blank slate as far as my knowledge of the time/place, so I'll need to do some additional research.

The soonest I'd look to do something with it would be for Free RPG Day 2023.

You've done it again, RPGPub. My New Year's resolution was a tidy and modest entertainment budget each month. It's already gone. The reason? This thread...

Seriously though, I had picked up the Kindle version of Righteous Blood Ruthless Blades a year ago when I was on sort of Osprey kick and never did a thing with it. After seeing the praise here, I re-downloaded it. One thing led to another, and suddenly I'm swimming in Gu Long books, Handsome Siblings on Netflix, a hardcopy of Righteous Blood Ruthless Blades, and some fresh dice for it.

See, growing up, my neighbors were an immigrant couple from mainland China. Since they didn't have children, I was treated as one - they shared tons of traditional food, stories, and untranslated movies. Shaw epics were as routine as Flintstones reruns for me. So, oddly, how well Righteous Blood Ruthless Blades captures the genre creates some real nostalgia for me.

And it is extremely well done. The other reviews capture it much more eloquently than I can. Simply put, though, this is an impulse purchase I truly cherish.

Good job, BedrockBrendan BedrockBrendan and Jeremy Bai!!!

You've done it again, RPGPub. My New Year's resolution was a tidy and modest entertainment budget each month. It's already gone. The reason? This thread...

Seriously though, I had picked up the Kindle version of Righteous Blood Ruthless Blades a year ago when I was on sort of Osprey kick and never did a thing with it. After seeing the praise here, I re-downloaded it. One thing led to another, and suddenly I'm swimming in Gu Long books, Handsome Siblings on Netflix, a hardcopy of Righteous Blood Ruthless Blades, and some fresh dice for it.

See, growing up, my neighbors were an immigrant couple from mainland China. Since they didn't have children, I was treated as one - they shared tons of traditional food, stories, and untranslated movies. Shaw epics were as routine as Flintstones reruns for me. So, oddly, how well Righteous Blood Ruthless Blades captures the genre creates some real nostalgia for me.

And it is extremely well done. The other reviews capture it much more eloquently than I can. Simply put, though, this is an impulse purchase I truly cherish.

Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it. I didn't realize they had Handsome Siblings on Netflix

25mhvy.jpg

I'm glad that it was money well-spent!

Also, I think Jeremy Bai is also on the forum.

What is there best "sci-fi" Osprey games, if anyone has an idea?

@Death Blade I think...but I might well be wrong.

Those Dark Places. The lid of the tin says Industrial Science Fiction.
The game itself is simple and direct. And it does what it does better than similar games of the subgenre.
Does it have alien-ish pc's?
I'm interested but my local players who I want to use this for like aliens (I'm fond of them too but not every game.)

I'm interested but my local players who I want to use this for like aliens (I'm fond of them too but not every game.)

It is extremely rules light and it seems more human focused to me. But being rules light there is flexibility. I would need to check the rulebook again though. It is meant to emulate movies like Alien and Outland, where the protagonists are blue collar workers on a ship. It is a really, really impressive game in my opinion. Super easy system and you can read the rule book right before play and get started.

I just want to chime in Hicks has been a power house releasing stuff independently supporting Those Dark Places. He's even released this add-on for those who'd rather be playing Trek-esque games

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back