OSR Gamemaster Rescue

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score

This is hands down the most bizarre thing I've watched in a long long time. I sat there almost the entire time with my mouth agape thinking "this is...madness". I don't know the fellow, or the rest of their content. They seem to post a lot of videos, but don't have a very big audience.

Aside from the stupidity of the premise here - go convert OSR gamemasters to 5e gamemasters - why does it take him 10 minutes to say that? What an idiotic video.
He's also weirdly specific about his percentile ranges. An OSR gamemaster runs 50-100% of his games with OSR systems, but once converted to 5e he runs 50-90% in 5e. Why the 90% threshold? If your conversion efforts go too far, what does he become?

What a waste of space.

I'm starting to think he is suffering from a high fever and shouldn't be operating a moving vehicle and filming a YouTube video. Some people need a more balanced diet including varied veggies,fruit and lean protein. Plus a decent night's sleep.

Fortunately, I only run OSR games 23.983% of the time, so I am not an OSR GM, so I don't need to worry about this guy coming to rescue me. The biggest laugh for me was at the end when he took a shot at other people who have ineffectually attempted to rescue OSR GM but lacked the "defined model" for doing so that he was presenting.

The good news is that it looks like WotC has a new marketing director lined up.

The weird thing is, I can see this guy as the main character in a horror film, where guys wake up tied to a chair in his basement with duct tape, and him explaining to them how he has to save them from being OSR GMs....

Given that his 5e conversion method (to be described in an upcoming video, so be sure to subscribe, like, hit that bell, and don't stop pushing the q-tips until they come out the other side) is to "set into motion a series of events" that results in conversion, I definitely think this is the beginning of a horror movie.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's J. Scott Garibay's ridiculous video:

And here is my equally ridiculous response: [MODERATOR"S EDIT: The link went to a blog post that started about 5E, then took a detour deep into political territory. You can google it if you really need to know.]

Enjoy,

VS

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of those instances of Poe's Law.

But everyone, be honest. If this guy reversed his terms and was talking about "rescuing" 5e players to convert them to the OSR, then he'd be just like a huge percentage of the online OSR cheerleaders.

I'm not going to watch any more of this person's content. It honestly isn't worth the time. But the filming in the car and the rambling and the oddities in the presentation make me think it's parody. Then again, it would be parody because I've seen so much content just like it.

And Gringnr is exactly right. This video is a mirror image of Jennifer's stuff. The only way to make it plainer is to have a static scene of Pundit's books in frame while a cat is occasionally tossed in there while he rambles incoherently.

My life is poorer for having listened to this thing.

But everyone, be honest. If this guy reversed his terms and was talking about "rescuing" 5e players to convert them to the OSR, then he'd be just like a huge percentage of the online OSR cheerleaders.

I'm not going to watch any more of this person's content. It honestly isn't worth the time. But the filming in the car and the rambling and the oddities in the presentation make me think it's parody. Then again, it would be parody because I've seen so much content just like it.

And Gringnr is exactly right. This video is a mirror image of Jennifer's stuff. The only way to make it plainer is to have a static scene of Pundit's books in frame while a cat is occasionally tossed in there while he rambles incoherently.

The hell are you on about? I have it on good authority that the OSR cheerleaders are all evil gatekeepers that won't let anyone play their games. It's the most exclusively anti-social batch of old-timer unwelcomers ever. I believe if you try to bring anyone new in, they kick you out.

The hell are you on about? I have it on good authority that the OSR cheerleaders are all evil gatekeepers that won't let anyone play their games. It's the most exclusively anti-social batch of old-timer unwelcomers ever. I believe if you try to bring anyone new in, they kick you out.
I stand corrected.

The OSR is, without a doubt, the most effort any elderly man has ever put into playing with himself.

The only thing I'm less interested in than watching that dude's videos is watching someone else talk about that dude's videos so thanks for the offer but yeah I'm good

Also, hadn't it been decided that YDIR violated the "no politics" rule last time someone tried to promote it here

1634057513338.png
Ok so 1,850 subscribers but the views.

1634057479780.png

1634057494869.png

And for the video in question. Two of these views are mine. Once at home and once at work during lunch.
1634057604560.png

So exactly how this is an issue?

I know I am known for my stuff on Sandbox campaign but compared to the rest of hobby my impact is not that great. Normally I would say refute an argument on the merits but after reading the transcript of this video. I went "Huh? Why are we talking about this as an OSR thing?" given the amount of views. I am sure the folks who post here who have negative views of the OSR have far more views than one J. Scott Garibay.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's actively hoping for Jennifer to get outraged and do a video to boost viewing figures.

Given that his 5e conversion method (to be described in an upcoming video, so be sure to subscribe, like, hit that bell, and don't stop pushing the q-tips until they come out the other side) is to "set into motion a series of events" that results in conversion, I definitely think this is the beginning of a horror movie.
We'll know for certain that it is a horror movie when one of the proscribed events is to split the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back