OSR Gamemaster Rescue

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, everyone!

I'm gonna start a YouTube channel where I point the camera at my dolls posed with RPG books. Then I'll just ramble incoherently like I do when I get riled up after drinking too many Monster energy drinks. I'll shit-talk about Palladium and be irate about the OSR and display my massive boner for Robotech.

Who's gonna subscribe and donate to my Patreon?

Also, hadn't it been decided that YDIR violated the "no politics" rule last time someone tried to promote it here
I watched the video Tristram posted, and it seemed more edition-warring than political. I'm not going to watch the other video. If anyone does and finds something political, please make a report about it.
If we get this guy and Jennifer in the same room together, does the universe implode?
More likely, both of them become deeply uncomfortable at being placed in a room with someone that disagrees with them and we just get uncomfortable silence. I'd be okay with that.

Hey, everyone!

I'm gonna start a YouTube channel where I point the camera at my dolls posed with RPG books. Then I'll just ramble incoherently like I do when I get riled up after drinking too many Monster energy drinks. I'll shit-talk about Palladium and be irate about the OSR and display my massive boner for Robotech.

Who's gonna subscribe and donate to my Patreon?
If you skip directly to the boner, I'm in.

I watched the video Tristram posted, and it seemed more edition-warring than political. I'm not going to watch the other video. If anyone does and finds something political, please make a report about it.

More likely, both of them become deeply uncomfortable at being placed in a room with someone that disagrees with them and we just get uncomfortable silence. I'd be okay with that.
I'm talking about Venger, and his linking directly to his overtly political site, despite such a link resulting in a thread lock last time he posted one.

This is hands down the most bizarre thing I've watched in a long long time. I sat there almost the entire time with my mouth agape thinking "this is...madness". I don't know the fellow, or the rest of their content. They seem to post a lot of videos, but don't have a very big audience.

I know youre concerned about troll welfare and feeding but...
STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS!

I'm talking about Venger, and his linking directly to his overtly political site, despite such a link resulting in a thread lock last time he posted one.
Ah, I see. I forgot there was a Venger link below the video. Just to be clear, we aren't banning all links to his site. If he makes blog posts without political content, he is free to link them here. If we started banning links to any site with political content, I'd have to remove all Youtube videos as well.

But yeah, about three-quarters of the way through this blog post, it goes into a pure political meltdown. I'll take care of it. But, to be clear, this isn't a ban on linking to the blog if Venger wants to talk about games.

Which makes sense, of course. But YDIR isn't his regular gaming blog, and is political in nature and intent. That's all I have to say about it, and I'll drop it now.

Which makes sense, of course. But YDIR isn't his regular gaming blog, and is political in nature and intent. That's all I have to say about it, and I'll drop it now.
I take your point, but I'd rather err on the side of minimal moderation of what people link to. Keep in mind, this is just my gut ruling. I've opened a topic with the other staff to discuss it.

I don't know if I can watch two videos from this guy in one day.
Right? I'm thinking that while listening to it as I type this and thinking the very same thing, and yet it's playing. WTF is wrong with me, the things he's saying are utter nonsense and yet I can't stop myself from listening! (flails about)

Right? I'm thinking that while listening to it as I type this and thinking the very same thing, and yet it's playing. WTF is wrong with me, the things he's saying are utter nonsense and yet I can't stop myself from listening! (flails about)
TristramEvans TristramEvans nailed it with the horror vibe. Those videos set off the lizard part of your brain that warns about something that wants to eat you. That's why you can't stop paying attention.

Also, hadn't it been decided that YDIR violated the "no politics" rule last time someone tried to promote it here

Today's article on Your Dungeon Is Racist (BTW, you can't just google it. Apparently, even google thinks it's too dangerous) wasn't all that political. If anything, it was strictly anti-authoritarian. But I can't help it if people equate authoritarianism with a certain political ideology.

Today's article on Your Dungeon Is Racist (BTW, you can't just google it. Apparently, even google thinks it's too dangerous) wasn't all that political. If anything, it was strictly anti-authoritarian. But I can't help it if people equate authoritarianism with a certain political ideology.
Not "all that" political is still political.

And lines like
adhere to the gospel of Secular Progressivism
are in fact completely political.

Nice try, but nobody's buying that shit..

I have political beliefs that I am passionate about. I will also do what I can when I see shitty behavior regardless whether there is politics involved or not. But what I don't do talk incessantly about my personal beliefs just to market my games. And when I do bring something up, I am crystal clear that what the topic is about. I don't make my reader have to go through mental hoops sort the gaming content from whatever else I am talking about.

At the end of the day, if you made world a nicer place, if you managed to bring joy to somebody's life. Say, do or create something useful for a stranger. Then you are ahead of the game and done your job as a creative.

I hate the lot of you. I’ve now watched parts of Garibay‘s and Satanis’ videos and my brains are dribbling out my ears.

At least RPGPundit has guest appearances by the Big Chungus! (Thinking about it I haven’t lasted through one of his videos either.)

I have political beliefs that I am passionate about. I will also do what I can when I see shitty behavior regardless whether there is politics involved or not. But what I don't do talk incessantly about my personal beliefs just to market my games. And when I do bring something up, I am crystal clear that what the topic is about. I don't make my reader have to go through mental hoops sort the gaming content from whatever else I am talking about.

At the end of the day, if you made world a nicer place, if you managed to bring joy to somebody's life. Say, do or create something useful for a stranger. Then you are ahead of the game and done your job as a creative.
I’m just tired of toxic politics in general and the division and strife it’s causing in society. If we keep going like this we will make it harder and harder to ever come together again

I’m just tired of toxic politics in general and the division and strife it’s causing in society. If we keep going like this we will make it harder and harder to ever come together again
Hey Joe, sure but here we don't talk about that as much. I can't speak for others here. But I roll my eyes when I see it used in the promotion of a game or one's social media presence. Pretty much if a person is going to talk about oneself and your efforts. Do it with a light touch. My view it OK to have strong opinions here, the blogs, the gaming videos, etc. but folks need stick to gaming.

Rob's Note: Yeah I didn't mean to lecture to Joe who I game with. I edited it my post to say what I was really try to say.

It is kinda surreal that two of us posted about the guy on the same morning. Guess that's Youtube's weird algorithm at work.

This is one of those instances of Poe's Law.

But everyone, be honest. If this guy reversed his terms and was talking about "rescuing" 5e players to convert them to the OSR, then he'd be just like a huge percentage of the online OSR cheerleaders.

Jeeze man, I'm not much into the OSR (not being a D&D player in general), but if I ever saw someone in the OSR saying anything similar to this my reaction would be the same. Like some folks are comparing this guy to Jennifer, but Aniston doesn't come across near this insane.

I've forgotten why RPGPundit is referred to as Jennifer but I'm sure it's funny so could someone please remind me

Huh, I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I think it was a discussion about not naming him because at the time he was monitoring the Pub for mentions and convinced we had a vendetta or something. I can't even remember if "Jennifer Aniston" was my idea, or if I just was the first to photoshop it into meme form/

... My view it OK to have strong opinions here, the blogs, the gaming videos, etc. but folks need stick to gaming.
I count myself a true gamer, I can vastly offend others merely with my views on game mechanics and font selection, one's kung fu is weak if one must resort to politics or religion to offend. :smile:

I'd like to think here we can come together over games, and even agree to amicably disagree in our perennial evaluation of what is a sandbox or story game or narrative or agency...we can be the shining light of civility in the darkness of constant contention.

Huh, I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I think it was a discussion about not naming him because at the time he was monitoring the Pub for mentions and convinced we had a vendetta or something. I can't even remember if "Jennifer Aniston" was my idea, or if I just was the first to photoshop it into meme form/
I have a vague recollection of it being someone's guess at his secret identity, and the absurdity made it stick.

Jeeze man, I'm not much into the OSR (not being a D&D player in general), but if I ever saw someone in the OSR saying anything similar to this my reaction would be the same. Like some folks are comparing this guy to Jennifer, but Aniston doesn't come across near this insane.
Yeah, he does. On therpgshite, he recently posted, "They're not after me, they're after you. I'm just in the way." Imagine being full enough of unwarranted self-importance to type that with a straight face lmao.

Yeah, he does. On therpgshite, he recently posted, "They're not after me, they're after you. I'm just in the way." Imagine being full enough of unwarranted self-importance to type that with a straight face lmao.

Well, granted, I've never been able to make it past the 5 minute mark of any of Jennifer's vids. Her voice combined with a static image and a complete inability to get to the point does not make for easy viewing.

Well, granted, I've never been able to make it past the 5 minute mark of any of Jennifer's vids. Her voice combined with a static image and a complete inability to get to the point does not make for easy viewing.

Woudl you watch it with the sound turned off, if I spliced together all of shots when his cats put in an appearance?
Or would that sort of defeat the purpose of his videos.

(Note: Any errors made whilst typing this is because my cat is demanding attention right now.)

Is it just me that finds video a far less appropriate medium for rpg commentry? Text (and the time it takes to generate) creates a far more reasoned/structured argument. Generally video seems to be a stream of consciousness presentation, which doesn't create interesting viewing except in rare cases.

I've found that a number of rpg sites that I used to read have converted to video, and that I've stopped going to them.

Woudl you watch it with the sound turned off, if I spliced together all of shots when his cats put in an appearance?
Or would that sort of defeat the purpose of his videos.

(Note: Any errors made whilst typing this is because my cat is demanding attention right now.)

Is it just me that finds video a far less appropriate medium for rpg commentry? Text (and the time it takes to generate) creates a far more reasoned/structured argument. Generally video seems to be a stream of consciousness presentation, which doesn't create interesting viewing except in rare cases.

I've found that a number of rpg sites that I used to read have converted to video, and that I've stopped going to them.

Honestly I have a hard time with videos in general - I'm always like "get on with it!", some people talk so slowly, and have such a low content to sentence ratio. At least with writing I can determine my own pace and skim forward until they get to the point.

I do wish sometimes that Youtube had a transcription feature

It does
A video that I am in

Click the ... and then open transcription.

1634086871913.png
Copy the text out of this.

1634086898536.png

Sample Output

9:04
upramp it to go from
09:06
uh a swords and wizardry system to five
09:09
e's a lot harder
09:11
uh
09:12
road to walk and
09:14
you know that's part of the discussion
09:16
we've been having with rob and that's
09:17
what robscheim did and then in the group
09:19
chat too and rob go
09:22
so talk about what your what your
09:23
thoughts are about the whole thing rob
09:25
well um
09:26
[Music]
09:28
the
09:29
with 5e
09:31
the good news is
09:34
i find them pretty much
09:37
equivalent in terms of world building in
09:39
other words if i have a bunch of
09:41
characters that are fourth level
09:44
in my majestic fantasy roles i.e
09:47
a variant of swords and wizardry
09:50
i find i can also have a bunch of fourth
09:53
level characters
09:54
in 5e and
09:56
roughly and when the party runs into
09:59
those fourth level characters
10:01
it's roughly the same uh outcome
10:05
now monsters are a little diff are a
10:07
little bit different but they're not
10:08
that far off

Attachments

• 1634086951562.png
    1634086951562.png
    24 KB · Views: 1
Honestly I have a hard time with videos in general - I'm always like "get on with it!", some people talk so slowly, and have such a low content to sentence ratio. At least with writing I can determine my own pace and skim forward until they get to the point.

While podcasts tend to involve multiple people talking, but videos seem much more likely to have one person attempting to talk for ten straight minutes. When you are talking to another human being, it keeps you grounded. Most people can't talk to a camera for an extended time without getting lost in the weeds. Granted, you can actually write a script ahead of time, but that's work.

While podcasts tend to involve multiple people talking, but videos seem much more likely to have one person attempting to talk for ten straight minutes. When you are talking to another human being, it keeps you grounded. Most people can't talk to a camera for an extended time without getting lost in the weeds. Granted, you can actually write a script ahead of time, but that's work.
I find it hard to watch YouTube videos and live television because so much of it is "filler" devoid of any meaningful content. I cut amateur, one-person productions more slack but how hard is it to write out a basic script? It doesn't have to be a fully fleshed out, word for word script. When I have to speak in public, including running games, speaking at a funeral, and speaking at a wedding, more often than not I have a "script" consisting of a few bullet points and riff off that so it sounds more natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back