OSR Gamemaster Rescue

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones I been part of have been more of a conversation between friends.

Another trend is that various podcast apps are meant for off-the-cuff commentary. Turn it on your phone just talk, hit done and publish.

No doubt. And timing notes, when to move one from segment to segment. After all you are presenting and some things should be presented slower and others faster. People also seem to love to editorialize. Main points, pacing and loose script...and special effects at the end :smile:

You know you can up the playback speed right? I listen to most videos around 1.5 -2x faster than recorded unless the speaker is fast. I love that feature.

That second video is even more crazy than the first one I posted. "D&D is getting a movie, so when you play 5th edition, you are creating jobs, but if you play OSR, you are creating nothing!"

It's like a weird mix of that old parody web series Fear of Girls and shades of Timecube

It does
A video that I am in

Click the ... and then open transcription.

View attachment 36719
Copy the text out of this.

View attachment 36720

Sample Output

9:04
upramp it to go from
09:06
uh a swords and wizardry system to five
09:09
e's a lot harder
09:11
uh
09:12
road to walk and
09:14
you know that's part of the discussion
09:16
we've been having with rob and that's
09:17
what robscheim did and then in the group
09:19
chat too and rob go
09:22
so talk about what your what your
09:23
thoughts are about the whole thing rob
09:25
well um
09:26
[Music]
09:28
the
09:29
with 5e
09:31
the good news is
09:34
i find them pretty much
09:37
equivalent in terms of world building in
09:39
other words if i have a bunch of
09:41
characters that are fourth level
09:44
in my majestic fantasy roles i.e
09:47
a variant of swords and wizardry
09:50
i find i can also have a bunch of fourth
09:53
level characters
09:54
in 5e and
09:56
roughly and when the party runs into
09:59
those fourth level characters
10:01
it's roughly the same uh outcome
10:05
now monsters are a little diff are a
10:07
little bit different but they're not
10:08
that far off

huh, it does not give me that option on videos I watch. I wonder if you can only do it on your own videos?

00000d20.png

see, I click it, and it just has the "report" option

That second video is even more crazy than the first one I posted. "D&D is getting a movie, so when you play 5th edition, you are creating jobs, but if you play OSR, you are creating nothing!"

It's like a weird mix of that old parody web series Fear of Girls and shades of Timecube

Dungeons & Dragons: Timecube edition.

Hey. There's a Stranger Things set and a Rick & Morty set. So why not Timecube? They could get this guy to consult.

So this is part 2 of his plan to rescue OSR gamemasters...

Highlights include:

"We could leave them alone if they weren't so valuable!"

"They don't Dungeonmaster anymore - they "gamemaster" now... pffft, oh boy, talk about going from awesome to suck"

"The first three years of being Dungeonmaster is like being dragged over glass. You're going to make 50 mistakes!"

"Online games are the lowest, shadowed, shriveled, ridiculously um, you know, desiccated form of the hobby"

"You gonna have a table game, you get an OSR Dungeonmaster up there, it means ...they are going to have some money! What does that mean? It means A lot!"

"we need to stop these shining unicorn rockstar Dungeonmasters....er, "gamemasters"...from wasting their time on these no impact, low cultural impact, no power acquisition, meaningless, utterly useless games!"

Yeah, he does. On therpgshite, he recently posted, "They're not after me, they're after you. I'm just in the way." Imagine being full enough of unwarranted self-importance to type that with a straight face lmao.
I'm glad that Rorschach has managed to find gainful employment.

I notice how he doesn't say anything about the Mythras GM rescue quest. He must have encountered @Raleel out in the wild, quailed in terror and ran away.
Probably.
Though I think I have encountered someone who looked a lot like the guy in the video, so it might be my radiant personality:devil:!

I figured it out, the poster forgot to check closed captioning when he uploaded the video. Part 3 has the transcript. Correction what I meant was Part 3 has closed captioning on and thus has a transcript as well as Part 1. But not Part 2 because he forgot to turn it on.

Last edited:
"They don't Dungeonmaster anymore - they "gamemaster" now... pffft, oh boy, talk about going from awesome to suck"

He seems to really be hung up on using 'Dungeon Master' as a term. I mean, I'm not one to kinkshame, but this probably isn't the topic to be going on about his fetishes.

More seriously, lots of OSR games, if they're of the fantasy bent, use DM instead of GM or any other term. Where the hell is he getting his misinformation from?

He spends the whole episode driving around, and I'm just waiting for him to exclaim "there's one!" and jump out of the car, and we hear a scuffle and out of the corner of the camera we just see him shoving some chloroformed guy into his trunk...

He spends the whole episode driving around, and I'm just waiting for him to exclaim "there's one!" and jump out of the car, and we hear a scuffle and out of the corner of the camera we just see him shoving some chloroformed guy into his trunk...
The driving around is actually carefully choreographed. He's getting big product-placement money from the Taco Bell and other companies that he works into the background.

He seems to really be hung up on using 'Dungeon Master' as a term. I mean, I'm not one to kinkshame, but this probably isn't the topic to be going on about his fetishes.

More seriously, lots of OSR games, if they're of the fantasy bent, use DM instead of GM or any other term. Where the hell is he getting his misinformation from?
Why does he think that using a Tunnels & Trolls term will make people gravitate toward 5e?

The driving around is actually carefully choreographed. He's getting big product-placement money from the Taco Bell and other companies that he works into the background.
Listen, Taco Bell employs 37 million people. It creates jobs. Other taco establishments are stuck in the past. Taco Hells, I call them. If you're not serving up chalupas between 50-90% of your meals, you're taking money from these Taco Masters. What you need to do is politely orchestrate a series of events that results in diners that are currently serving between 50-100% non-Taco Bell meals rescuing their patrons from their preferences and serving up delicious Nacho cheese gordita crunches.

Listen, Taco Bell employs 37 million people. It creates jobs. Other taco establishments are stuck in the past. Taco Hells, I call them. If you're not serving up chalupas between 50-90% of your meals, you're taking money from these Taco Masters. What you need to do is politely orchestrate a series of events that results in diners that are currently serving between 50-100% non-Taco Bell meals rescuing their patrons from their preferences and serving up delicious Nacho cheese gordita crunches.
This kind of thinking is how you get demolition men? Do you really want demolition men?

I absolutely refuse to watch this guy’s videos. What few brain cells I have left I’d like to keep.
That's why I was going to be asking about a transcript, as well. As a bonus, I can probably read him in about 1/4 of the time or less:thumbsup:!
Granted, I wouldn't know if he had actually captured an OSR Referee, but I'm sure the wailing and gnailing of teeth on forums would notify me in due time:shade:.

So, having made the mistake of watching about half of two videos, AFAICT his thesis is that D&D is a great (maybe the greatest?) force for good in the world (I'm not sure exactly why - because it brings people together socially? helps people learn confidence and problem solving? inspires people to dream and use their imagination?) and is a central pillar of modern culture (they're making a movie, it shows up in the news, Critical Role makes millions) but that its is still not what it should be (it's overshadowed by video games and movies) because too many of its fans are diluting the market by playing old versions and OSR games instead of supporting the main brand - that if everybody playing rpgs united behind official 5E (buy which I assume he means buying Hasbro products) then D&D would be more successful than video games and movies and would become the dominant entertainment property, which it should be. Therefore, all those loser "gamemasters" running OSR games really need to stop doing that and get with the program (at least 51% of the time), because if they do so they'll be helping to support D&D as a force for good in the world but if they don't then they're not only wasting their own time (by supporting something meaningless: no OSR game will ever have the cultural impact of D&D - they don't even have their own name for the person who runs the game!) but are actually harming the culture by working against the force of good that is official 5E D&D.

If I've understood his premise correctly then I've got to say it's pretty fucking dumb. It's no wonder nobody will listen to this guy's rants in real life so he has no choice but to rant to the ether while driving around alone in his car.

EDIT: Oh, and this actually tracks pretty well with stuff that Jennifer Aniston was saying a decade or so ago, when she was railing against retro-clones (before she started writing them and taking credit for the concept) - that playing old games in the old style is not only worthless but harmful to the hobby because it's backwards looking, and that in order for the rpg hobby to remain vital people need to buy and play new games (and new versions of old games don't really count).

Oh, if it was only this...:grin:
Here's some gems I edited from his transcript:

i would guess there's between like 750 000 to maybe 3 million osr game masters okay uh
1) Man, when you say something "between X and 4X", you need more exact data.
2) I find even the lower number kinda dubious.

There's a few uh there's a few like I think world of darkness uses the term storyteller and a few games do try to escape the term game master but very few because the osr is has utterly failed to match um guns and dragons in almost any way and not in sales and art and quality of product or anything right um they are all they're the osr is generally stuck with this shared term right because they're in the same fate uh subpart of their they share the term uh game master because um they're all subpar to dungeons the dragons right and they've never been able to get enough juice to to jump over and make a new term stick right all right
1, 2 & 3: That's why we still use Referee.

people who care more about the past of dungeons and dragons than the future of dungeon dragons they're not actually dungeon masters in my opinion they're dungeon pastors right okay all right
...Now I kinda want someone in the OSR to publish a game that replaces the term Referee with "Dungeon Reverend":tongue:! Actually, if you call it "Dungeon Reverend* Edition", you could probably even sell it on Drivethru!

*I grant to anyone willing to use the term Dungeon Reverend, which I just created, a free of charge, perpetual, irrevocable license to do so, provided it doesn't contradict the IP of other people. AsenRG AsenRG doesn't assume any liability due to your decision to use or not use the term, and you using it doesn't allow you to trademark it, nor to restrict its use in other products.

are you an osr game master who has any concerns with this plan i'd love to hear your thoughts right because we're definitely coming to recruit you correctly
1) He couldn't imagine any OSR Referee having concerns about someone "planning to recruit him to run a game system that's strictly inferior to the one he's running now":shock:?!?
2) TristramEvans TristramEvans has it right: this guy's creepy as hell! Hopefully he doesn't even realize it, but he sounds like an Edition Wright...:evil:
"One Edition to rule them all, One Edition to find them, One Edition to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!"
...OK, that sounded even creepier:skeleton:!

and actually when i say we hopefully that's where we're going to land because this is 100 percent a scott garabay ita right
What does that mean I don't even...

Whatever, I gave this guy more than the two minutes I expected to need to read the transcript (mostly due to commenting here, and because I was editing the reply along with reading, or I'd have probaly managed to stick to the 2 minutes I was planning to devote to his spiel!)

So, having made the mistake of watching about half of two videos, AFAICT his thesis is that D&D is a great (maybe the greatest?) force for good in the world (I'm not sure exactly why - because it brings people together socially? helps people learn confidence and problem solving? inspires people to dream and use their imagination?) and is a central pillar of modern culture (they're making a movie, it shows up in the news, Critical Role makes millions) but that its is still not what it should be (it's overshadowed by video games and movies) because too many of its fans are diluting the market by playing old versions and OSR games instead of supporting the main brand - that if everybody playing rpgs united behind official 5E (buy which I assume he means buying Hasbro products) then D&D would be more successful than video games and movies and would become the dominant entertainment property, which it should be. Therefore, all those loser "gamemasters" running OSR games really need to stop doing that and get with the program (at least 51% of the time), because if they do so they'll be helping to support D&D as a force for good in the world but if they don't then they're not only wasting their own time (by supporting something meaningless: no OSR game will ever have the cultural impact of D&D - they don't even have their own name for the person who runs the game!) but are actually harming the culture by working against the force of good that is official 5E D&D.

If I've understood his premise correctly then I've got to say it's pretty fucking dumb. It's no wonder nobody will listen to this guy's rants in real life so he has no choice but to rant to the ether while driving around alone in his car.
Yeah, that's more or less what I got from him as well.
Edition Wright, as I said.
Now I kinda want to make a video about "DM Rescuing" which recommends teaching 5e GMs to run a better system - Mythras, Cepheus Engine, whatever.

I made the mistake of watching the second video in the OSR Gamemaster Rescue series as well as going back about 2-3 years in his video list to see if he was always like this.

Here is my current opinion:

1. He is mentally ill.
  2. I have some suspicion that gaming is all in his mind, and I mean that he doesn't actually play or run games. He just imagines he does so.
  3. His knowledge of RPGs seems to come entirely from reading the text, corporate propaganda, and some portion of the teachings of Pundit put through Google translate.
  4. D&D is a long term obsession, but he gets fixated on certain topics and seems to obsess over them for several months at a time. There's a very faint element of Hybrid to it all.

i would guess there's between like 750 000 to maybe 3 million osr game masters
Well that alone is enough to show this guy is off his rocker. I'm pretty sure there are about 100 OSR gamemasters. We're all playing in each others games and buying each others stuff and working day and night to keep everyone else out.

no OSR game will ever have the cultural impact of D&D
And the second nuttiest idea from this guy. I have never once considered wanting to have a cultural impact. What a weird reason to choose your recreation.

It is weird though, how little known the OSR is, even in gaming circles. I have friends who have been gaming for decades and had never heard the term until I brought it up. It's influential, yes, but I wouldn't call it pervasive.

OK, so I doubled down on my folly by watching (well, listening to) the third video. It doesn't get any better the more you hear of it.

A few takeaways from the third video:

It's kind of funny that he singles out The White Stripes as something current to contrast to the "oldies rock" of OSR games, considering that they started recording in the 2E era (1999) and stopped recording in the 3E era (2007). That's like saying "kids today are only into current movies, like Star Wars episodes I-III."

He repeatedly accuses OSR games of being "myopically focused on combat only." Is that really anyone's experience of OSR games (specifically in contrast to 5E)? Isn't it much more the opposite? I mean, the whole XP for treasure vs XP for combat thing seems like a clue there.

The main reason OSR GMs need to be converted to 5E DMs is because the D&D movie is going to bring in tons of new players and these OSR GMs are all old so they own houses and can host in-person games. Presumably a later video will explain why a bunch of new teenage fans turned on to D&D by the movie will want to go to some old guy stranger's house in order to play it.

Presumably a later video will explain why a bunch of new teenage fans turned on to D&D by the movie will want to go to some old guy stranger's house in order to play it.
He touches upon that in his second video. It's because older gamers have houses and $5,000 of RPG products. This is a powerful lure to younger gamers who will think it's really cool. And it's all being squandered because it's all dedicated to OSR, these mansions full of the depravities of OSR gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back