OSR Gamemaster Rescue

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's flabbergasting. It's even hard to make a joke. "Playing OSR at a ratio of 51 to 100 or more" etc is odd but that stuff about 1E DMs being "Gamepasters" and how he has a seperate method for converting them I just thought this has to be a pisstake, but it probably isn't.

It's flabbergasting. It's even hard to make a joke. "Playing OSR at a ratio of 51 to 100 or more" etc is odd but that stuff about 1E DMs being "Gamepasters" and how he has a seperate method for converting them I just thought this has to be a pisstake, but it probably isn't.
I'm looking forward to his video about how to convert "gamepasters" because I fall squarely into that category (or at least he would say I do) and while I am confident there is zero (or, in terms he would use, 0.00%) chance he'll be able to convert me over to becoming a 5E DM, I suspect it might be funny to see him try, to see what his compelling arguments and techniques are :hehe:

Ironically I believe this is not an actual quote from Nietzsche!

I did a quick search and no one seems able to locate it. I read a bunch of Nietzsche as an angsty teen and this sounds too banal for Nietzsche. At best it is a poor paraphrase of one of his aphorisms.

Actually the more I look online the more I find most of the quotes of Nietzsche in English available online are rather mangled and poor.

Anyways, sorry for the tangent, it was a good joke.

Back on topic: quickly checked and recognize this guy as someone who used to be on the Nerdarchy videos.

So at first from the talk here I thought he may be trolling or joking but as I recall from Nerdarchy he's dead serious.

I did a quick search and no one seems able to locate it. I read a bunch of Nietzsche as an angsty teen and this sounds too banal for Nietzsche. At best it is a poor paraphrase of one of his aphorisms.
I think we both found the same fact check.
Yeah, misquoted or even just out of context, Nietzsche is very edgelordy.

Actually the more I look online the more I find most of the quotes of Nietzsche in English available online are rather mangled and poor.

Anyways, sorry for the tangent, it was a good joke.

Back on topic: quickly checked and recognize this guy as someone who used to be on the Nerdarchy videos.

So at first from the talk here I thought he may be trolling or joking but as I recall from Nerdarchy he's dead serious.

I knew that! I was going meta with it!!!

I think that it's actually paraphrased from a Chick tract

download.jpg

So, watched the third video. I've been spacing these out because, even though they are only @ 10minutes a piece, I do feel appreciable SAN loss from these viewings.

In this one he goes full Tom Hanks.

Notable quotes:

"I'm here to call you to a higher state of being"

"You have to understand what Dungeons & Dragons is. If you think Dungeons & Dragons is a game - get out! You ain't here, you're not on the list, alright? You are not being quested, alright? I am interested in doing this, and I am doing the run-up to my first OSR gamemaster rescue, because I believe Dungeons & Dragons is a Life Path. I don't believe for one second that Dungeons & Dragons is a game. Dungeons & Dragons has utterly transformed my life."

"I know that when Fizzband's uh Treasury of Dragons hits the shelves man I'm gonna...you know there's so many moments right? I'm gonna go up and I'm just gonna hold it in my hands, I'm gonna look at it right. you know, and I'm gonna resist rubbing it on my face in the FLGS"

"So if you are where I am and you are changed in spirit, mind. and heart - if your life has been transformed by Dungeons & Dragons and it is painful for you to think that there are dungeon masters who can...who are perfectly positioned, perfectly capable, perfectly...you know, um, "resourced" to bring dozens or hundreds or thousands of new people into that transformation, then we need to pull them off of these sucky, myopic, y'know, combat-focused games and bring them into the Real World where their talents can really matter and really shine. Then you are a candidate, If you dungeoned...5e dungeon master for three years. You know you're good at it. Your life has been transformed by Dungeons and Dragons. If those three things are true of you, you are a candidate to be a quested champion to go pull these OSR game masters out of the desiccated shriveled wasteland they live in and bring them into the light! Bring them into the glade where things are growing and things matter, and where it's rich black fertile soil ready to sprout a thousand transformed lives"

So, watched the third video. I've been spacing these out because, even though they are only @ 10minutes a piece, I do feel appreciable SAN loss from these viewings.

In this one he goes full Tom Hanks.

Notable quotes:

"I'm here to call you to a higher state of being"

"You have to understand what Dungeons & Dragons is. If you think Dungeons & Dragons is a game - get out! You ain't here, you're not on the list, alright? You are not being quested, alright? I am interested in doing this, and I am doing the run-up to my first OSR gamemaster rescue, because I believe Dungeons & Dragons is a Life Path. I don't believe for one second that Dungeons & Dragons is a game. Dungeons & Dragons has utterly transformed my life."

"I know that when Fizzband's uh Treasury of Dragons hits the shelves man I'm gonna...you know there's so many moments right? I'm gonna go up and I'm just gonna hold it in my hands, I'm gonna look at it right. you know, and I'm gonna resist rubbing it on my face in the FLGS"

"So if you are where I am and you are changed in spirit, mind. and heart - if your life has been transformed by Dungeons & Dragons and it is painful for you to think that there are dungeon masters who can...who are perfectly positioned, perfectly capable, perfectly...you know, um, "resourced" to bring dozens or hundreds or thousands of new people into that transformation, then we need to pull them off of these sucky, myopic, y'know, combat-focused games and bring them into the Real World where their talents can really matter and really shine. Then you are a candidate, If you dungeoned...5e dungeon master for three years. You know you're good at it. Your life has been transformed by Dungeons and Dragons. If those three things are true of you, you are a candidate to be a quested champion to go pull these OSR game masters out of the desiccated shriveled wasteland they live in and bring them into the light! Bring them into the glade where things are growing and things matter, and where it's rich black fertile soil ready to sprout a thousand transformed lives"

It's all good to have a laugh, but I think it's clear now this man isn't healthy. It's probably just best to leave it alone.

Fabulous. I'm keeping that one.

5125vEuIe4L._AC_.jpg

This is one of those things where I should probably not throw stones, but...

He seems to use the same exact phrases and specific delivery of those phrases an awful lot.

Man, my Poe's law radar is really bad. Hope for him that I just can't hear it ping right now. And then it turns out that he's just paraphrasing some MLM or culty videos as a charmless satire.

Having said that, I now want someone going all Tony Robbins with the text of this.

Yeah, those quotes from the latest video make it undeniable that this guy isn’t all right upstairs and take the fun out of laughing at and mocking these videos. :sad:

I hope my jokes haven't been taken as mocking him. I just find the idea of "OSR Gamemaster Rescue" comedic.

I kind of like him. He obviously has great enthusiasm for RPGs and whatever way he's engaging with them. Despite OSR people being soulless degenerates debased by the horrors of old game systems, he doesn't want to condemn them, cast them out, or even dismiss them. He wants to bring them into his "tribe" and he even accepts they have skills and methods that would benefit his beloved world.

If he does actually run games, they must be wild. One of the old videos I watched had him describe a custom monster he had dreamed up, and (to me at least) it seemed genuinely alien and he had thought up all sorts of details and history and ecology about it. So, if he does actually have players, they probably show up just to be entertained by whatever whacked shit shows up next.

I kind of like him. He obviously has great enthusiasm for RPGs and whatever way he's engaging with them. Despite OSR people being soulless degenerates debased by the horrors of old game systems, he doesn't want to condemn them, cast them out, or even dismiss them. He wants to bring them into his "tribe" and he even accepts they have skills and methods that would benefit his beloved world.
I kind of feel the same way. Despite his very dubious core premise it is flattering that he thinks people like me ("gamepasters") have something of value to offer and that he wants and thinks it's worth making an effort to recruit me to his side, which I can attest is not a very common sentiment among 5E fans. It's better than being condescendingly snickered at as an out-of-touch relic (or called a racist/imperialist shitlord because I prefer a version of the game that includes level limits and hard-coded racial alignments and intelligence ratings for monsters - even though I can and do make regular exceptions to those things as was intended all along).

That said, I was aboslutely mocking some of his more bizarre statements and phrasings, as well as the whole absurdity of recording these rants while driving around in his car. Hopefully not in too mean-spirited a way, but I was definitely laughing at not with him. But those quotes from the latest video make it clear that he's taking this stuff A LOT more seriously than I am, in a way that doesn't seem healthy to me and makes me uncomfortable about poking even light-hearted fun at it. This guy is (as far as I can tell) very passionate and sincere - I think he's also very misguided and has attached way too much importance to something that's actually very trivial, but I'd rather let him have what makes him happy (and seemingly brings meaning to his life) than make fun of it. He's not harming anyone by posting these bizarre videos, and it seems like the only person he's ever likely to harm is himself, so if posting these videos is a way of keeping that from happening, then I'm all for it.

Last edited:
I don't mind that he is passionate about 5e. 5e is popular and people enjoy it.
However, to belittle other DnD related games is wrong. This raising 5e to cult status. Hell, he even says only 5e can have a DM! He is a 5e-tologist who must 'save' those around him. As a non-Christian I quickly get sick of, "Oh your faith & belief is wrong, I'm here to correct you & save you because I love you" crap.
If he brought up the reasons why numerous experienced DMs left for the OSR and worked on ways to fix those issues, fine. That's looking at the problem that certain people had/have with the game.
Otherwise, he can choke on expenses that WotC takes from him.

But let me tell you how I really feel...

Last edited:
Yup, it was quite apparent pretty quickly that its either some form of comedy or even having fun trolling or that he has mental issues. The more you watch the more you tend to start to believe that it is the later, which is why I made a few comments in posts that I've made having had some experience dealing with that from some family. We (USA handle mental health issues in this country (USA) rather badly unfortunately.

..."I'm here to call you to a higher state of being"
Amen, but nothing with needles man...it's legal right?

"You have to understand what Dungeons & Dragons is. ...I don't believe for one second that Dungeons & Dragons is a game. Dungeons & Dragons has utterly transformed my life."
Mine to, when I finally graduated to being able to cast real spells I understood...wait, wrong world of delusion...it can be a game and change your life but it is still just a game...clearly a critical fail on his reality perception check, this is what happens when your dump stat is WIS...and it appears CHA too, where did all his points go? STR, not seeing it, INT, ah no. Must be DEX and CON...he seems quick with the safe handling of toxic ideas...yes DEX and CON I say.

I need to look into this Fizzband...I'm guessing the books are published in a part time meth lab, why else would one rub their face in it...or is he rubbing our face in it. Are we allowed to face rub here? Just checking. Are they putting the D&D books in the back now behind a curtain? I'm so out of it.

"So if you are where I am and you are changed in spirit, mind. and heart - if your life has been transformed by Dungeons & Dragons ...."
Yes but you say that like it is a good thing :smile: , now if you had mentioned Atomic Highway...yes that game opened my eyes...I'm going to go rub my face in my copy now. :smile:

"...., then we need to pull them off of these sucky, myopic, y'know, combat-focused games and bring them into the Real World where their talents can really matter and really shine. Then you are a candidate, If you dungeoned...5e dungeon master for three years. ..."
Are we talking the same game? The most combat one-dimensional games have ever played in have been 5e games and RAW D&D games in general. The most role, instead of roll, playing have ever done with D&D was under OD&D + AD&D with a healthy ignoring of AD&D RAW, and a nice importation of JG rules. To be fair, a friend of mine also ran an excellent game under 2e + house rules.

This guy is really missing his perception checks, why isn't he using the metagame knowledge when the world keeps asking him to make one? Should clue him in he is missing something.

I left Thank Yous on the video about how funny these are and how this comedy not only ranks up there w/cast magic missile at the darkness but now I have a slapstick vehicle to drive players to OSR.

I'm starting to think he is suffering from a high fever and shouldn't be operating a moving vehicle and filming a YouTube video. Some people need a more balanced diet including varied veggies,fruit and lean protein. Plus a decent night's sleep.
I need all of those things, but despite that failing I shall continue to stand as a game-master of my BRP-powered medieval fantasy game. When I was in high school the first edition of Chivalry and Sorcery appeared in a local store and from that point forward, I didn't care a fig for D&D, its history, its company or any of the rest of it.

If this clown showed up at my table waving a 5th edition DMG and talking about rescue, I would set the dog on him. I don't happen to have a dog at the moment, but I would definitely go borrow one for the occasion.

I need all of those things, but despite that failing I shall continue to stand as a game-master of my BRP-powered medieval fantasy game. When I was in high school the first edition of Chivalry and Sorcery appeared in a local store and from that point forward, I didn't care a fig for D&D, its history, its company or any of the rest of it.

If this clown showed up at my table waving a 5th edition DMG and talking about rescue, I would set the dog on him. I don't happen to have a dog at the moment, but I would definitely go borrow one for the occasion.
Yup, after the first few times I played DnD and 1st Edition AD&D as it was being released I was already looking around for something that I felt was better. Sure I continued to play it off and on for the next couple decades but overall I quickly didn't want to run it.

Runequest was much better mechanically speaking at the time and we quickly evolved it into our own game settings when we didn't want to focus on the Glorantha setting. When the Thieves World box set by Chaosium released in 81' it became the base game world for most of my world building for the next two decades. No matter what system I was using.

A new video dropped, but unfortunately he's started including politics in his rants, meaning he's now just the same as all those hundreds of thousands of other car rant videos on Youtube. So...there goes my interest.

A new video dropped, but unfortunately he's started including politics in his rants, meaning he's now just the same as all those hundreds of thousands of other car rant videos on Youtube. So...there goes my interest.
Kinda expected we'd see something along those lines sooner or later.

It's there in his history if you look at his video titles. He got on a pretty long stretch of being obsessed with one particular politician, and I'm not even talking about a huge name either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back