Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
I was going to post about this new OSR zine Through Ultan's Door and realized we apparently don't have a thread dedicated to OSR and other RPG zines. So this will be that. I'll post some others I dig and have recently discovered. Feel free to post your favs as well.

TUD is really a mini-setting and dungeon rather than a conventional zine. A nicely surreal and trippy feel with unique monsters and magic items. Very nice art, maps and well laid out. Recommended.

rsz_2untitled-3.jpg

Last edited:

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
It's older and long since gone the way of the Dodo, but I really liked Paul Mason's Imazine, the later issues of which are still online.

Also older and not an online zine, Interactive*Fantasy was a fascinating read while it lasted, and can be had for cheap in pdf from Drive-thru

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
The first OSR zine I got into was Black Pudding by J.V. West. He illustrates and writes almost all of it himself. For me the best stuff are his NPCs and mini-dungeons.

He also occasionally includes some cool monsters and magic items. He also has new classes, some look fun but for me part of B/X's attraction is the way it cuts back on class bloat.

199081.jpg

And while B/X is the system the zine is designed for but it would be ridiculously easy to use for other editions or even other systems. James also designed the cool rules light system The Pool way back when, which I guess makes him a heretic in some OSR circles. He has a taste for curvy cheescake and his cartoon style is reminscent to me of Bode.

Black Pudding #5.jpg

I've been buying BP from the beginning but those who haven't now have the awesome option of getting the first four issues in the Heavy Helping hardcopy POD for a reasonable price.

gnombient

Reaction score
I haven't checked out Through Ultan's Door yet. I've followed his blog for a while and heard nothing but good things about the zine, so I'll probably pick it up soon.

My favorite OSR zines are Wormskin (Dolmenwood) and the aforementioned Echoes from Fomalhaut. I also loved Fight On! back in the day, but I have a sad feeling that issue 15 is vaporware at this point.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Ben L. has a new issue of Through Ultan Door up on Drivethru. Cover by Russ Nicholson!

Go through Ultan's door in this second issue into the Catacombs of the Fleischguild, an Egyptian Revival dungeon replete with fiendish butcher traps, blood demons, flayed heretics, and much more. This 36 page zine also contains house rules for playing in the dreamlands, an article on the undead of Wishery, and new spells and magic items. It is brought to life with 50% more art than issue 1, including a cover by the great Russ Nicholson, gorgeous cartoraphy by Gus L, and lavish art by Huargo, Gus, Jeremy Duncan, Orphicss, and Matt Hildebrand.

Last edited:

finarvyn

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Grodog's The Twisting Stair is pretty good. Three issues so far, and they've sold enough copies to be in reprint mode. (Black Blade Publishing is the official group selling these, I think, but my Google-fu gives sends me to Grodog's blog pages.)

Baulderstone

Reaction score
Ben L. has a new issue of Through Ultan Door up on Drivethru. Cover by Russ Nicholson!

Go through Ultan's door in this second issue into the Catacombs of the Fleischguild, an Egyptian Revival dungeon replete with fiendish butcher traps, blood demons, flayed heretics, and much more. This 36 page zine also contains house rules for playing in the dreamlands, an article on the undead of Wishery, and new spells and magic items. It is brought to life with 50% more art than issue 1, including a cover by the great Russ Nicholson, gorgeous cartoraphy by Gus L, and lavish art by Huargo, Gus, Jeremy Duncan, Orphicss, and Matt Hildebrand.
It prompted me to order print copies of both issues. Fantastic stuff.

Good customer service too. I haven't gotten the print copies yet, but Ben emailed me yesterday to let me know that someone else had just gotten some copies that were damaged and he wanted me to be sure to contact him for replacements if mine show up in bad shape.

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
Cool thread, I'd like to see more recommendations. So far I have collected Echoes from Formalhaut, Fight On, Knockspell, Green Devil Face, Megadungeon, Metal Gods of Ur-Hadad, and Wormskin.

BigJackBrass

Reaction score
The Excellent Travelling Volume is a favourite, although if you're not a fan of Tékumel and in particular TSR's Empire of the Petal Throne then it may be of only limited interest.

It used to be print only, shipped from Canada, but older issues are now also available as PDFs and there's a new arrangement for European orders to ship from the UK. tetv_07_cover_low.png